Touro - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3/1 or 3/4?!?!?!??! this is gonna be the most stressful birthday ever!!!! someone please pass some libations.

Highland scotch, single malt, aged 12 years please...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3/1 or 3/4?!?!?!??! this is gonna be the most stressful birthday ever!!!! someone please pass some libations.

Highland scotch, single malt, aged 12 years please...

Only have Chivas Regal in the cabinet but it's aged 12 years! So necessary

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else who interviewed on Feb 4th hear back?
I didn't yet ...

Accepted today at both Touro Nevada and California! Excited :) Can anyone share any insights comparing the two programs or direct me to a discussion that has already occurred?

Last edited:
Accepted too ;)
Interviewed 2/4

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/21 and wait-listed. No ranking either. Oh well.

2/21 interview ---> accepted!!!

First interview, first acceptance!!! Late in the cycle, i'm pleased to say the least lol

+1

just gotta wait out another hour to figure out my status hopefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the regular admissions lady isn't in today, I was told that the director of ad said I should be hearing from her sometime next week with more details about the specific status of my application, but that right now it would be in my best interest to accept my other offer ( 2000 dollar nonrefundable deposit) and pay the deposit (due date near)

I'm assuming this is a rejection because a lot of you fellow sdners already received good news and waitlist news as well.

BUMMMER....

Congrats to all who are accepted and I look forward to meeting you in the fall!
Feels good!

Accepted today at both Touro Nevada and California! Excited :) Can anyone share any insights comparing the two programs or direct me to a discussion that has already occurred?

I couldn't find a specific discussion on SDN, although my SDN-search-feature-fu is weak.

I also got into both programs but ultimately opted for TUNCOM for these reasons:

1) Distance from home. Although my family is in CA, they're actually closer to Vegas than to Vallejo.

2) The shortage of both physicians and medical schools in Nevada and especially Southern Nevada drew me in since there could be a lot of cool opportunities for hands-on learning without a lot of competition from other medical schools as there would be in NorCal. It would also give me a good chance to scope out the region as well since I ultimately plan to practice in the West outside of CA. TUCOM-CA has had some issues recently with competition from other schools, especially Caribbean, for rotation spots. So this was the biggest reason.

3) I got a very good vibe from the students at TUNCOM on my interview day. The TUCOM-CA students were definitely cool but I just felt my personality fit more with the TUNCOM folks. I know the sample size is small and everything but it definitely left an impression.

4) Location. I grew up in CA and returned here for grad school. I'm itching to leave and escape some of the political craziness. That's kind of more of a personal reason though. TUNCOM is also closer to the nearest real city.

5) Rent. Look up some of the listings.

The most substantial drawback to TUNCOM, in my opinion, is the campus. Unlike some I actually thought the TUCOM-CA campus was really cool. But when I thought about it, I realized it probably won't matter much since you only spend substantial time on campus for the first two years and when you are on campus you're indoors anyways.

Thanks for the responses atlas91 and guh. Definitely has me leaning towards TUNCOM :)

I agree with the above posters. I am currently medium waitlisted at TUCOM-CA, and if (big if) I got in, it would be a tough choice since I am from the Bay Area. It does sound like TUN has a better rotations set-up, but it's tough to really know the quality of rotations as a pre-med. I personally liked TUCOM-CA's campus a lot more, and I liked the students I interacted with at TUN more. I really liked the atmosphere that I felt at TUN. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I interviewed in the morning on 2/21 and found out last night at around 5pm that I was accepted!! What a great start to the weekend. See you in August

I interviewed in the morning on 2/21 and found out last night at around 5pm that I was accepted!! What a great start to the weekend. See you in August

Was it a call or email? I interviewed 2/21 afternoon, but haven't heard anything :(

complete 12/11
interviewed 2/4
accepted 2/28

Congratulations to those who got accepted!

If the mandatory orientation is aug. 1-2
And 1st day of Fall is aug 5
When will the white coat ceremony be??
just googled it
It says Sun Oct 6th 2013 place TBD

Last edited:
Staying at the Wingate. Geting in on 3/5, and staying till 3/7. Anybody want to grab dinner on the 5th. PM me...

Got the rejection email yesterday :( I really liked TUNCOM and felt good about the interview, but I guess I it was a one sided thing. It was my first and only II. Guess I'll be applying again next cycle =/ Good luck to everyone that got accepted. :thumbup:

Anybody here interviewing on the 18th?

Also got my reject email yesterday and I also felt that the interview went great.

To those of you interviewing soon, feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about the interview or if you have any questions to help you better prepare.

Good luck to those who got in and are interviewing soon.

Sorry to hear that bro. For everyone who's interviewing soon I'll be glad to help out by answering any questions you have.

Im interviewing on the 18th at 745am, flying in late sunday night and flying right out after the interview. I wish I had some time to see the sights.

Did anyone that got accepted last week get their acceptance package in the mail yet?

Nope, but I called to talk to them because of an address conflict for me, and they mailed them out on Tuesday, so you should get them today/tomorrow I'm assuming.

Anybody here interviewing on the 18th?

I am :D

My stats

26O, 3.57 GPA sci, 3.68 GPA overall,
Honors biology, chem/math minors

a lot of shadowing hrs and volunteer hours at a religious school/ER.

Does anyone know how deferring an acceptance works with tucom NV??

if any current students have access to a 2013 match list, it would be awesome if you could post it. I am very interested to see where this years class is all going.

+1

Official match lists take time to compile because they tend to be self-reported. They will be posted to www.tunlive.com when they're available, so keep an eye out during the next month.

I know of two: one matched UCLA Neurology, and another matched Yale Anesthesiology (not sure whether prelim or categorical).

Interview on 3/6. Anyone know if decisions will be made before or after Passover?

Interview on 3/6. Anyone know if decisions will be made before or after Passover?

Three weeks is what Amber told me. Who had Dr. Ioudina and Dr. Tomlinson for interviewers? I had a great time with them ^.^ I also sent thank you notes overnight snail mail.

I had Dr. Tomlinson as one of my interviewers, real nice guy. I ended my interview talking football with him and Dr. Rennie.

I had Dr. Tomlinson as one of my interviewers, real nice guy. I ended my interview talking football with him and Dr. Rennie.

we talked about different things, but we ended up talking about my math research and tutoring.

Eh, I overnighted thank you notes to them with my own work. I hope it was sentimental...I'm not too keen on emailing notes.

Thats good, He has a BS in mathematics probably enjoyed hearing about math research.