2008-2009 University of Wisconsin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional Essay

Keeping in mind the Admissions Committee's goal that the supplemental information is to gain additional insight into the applicant as an individual and as a whole person, what additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant.

For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, having a privileged background and providing extensive service, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Re-applicant Essay

Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of evaluation, work or volunteer experience, etc.). (Limit response to 500 words.)

Members don't see this ad.

University of Wisconsin LOR Requirements

To complete this section, you need at least 3 academic and 1 non-academic letter writers OR 1 academic letter writer, 1 pre-professional committee letter and 1 non-academic letter writer.

Letters may be submitted individually or in a single packet either electronically or via postal mail or a combination thereof.

For Life Activities, how much do you guys plan to change from your AMCAS descriptions? I used bullet point form for the AMCAS section. Is it here that I might write about what I learned or gained from the experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get an interview invite from them yet?

Does Wisconsin screen? I recieved a secondary from them today, but my verbal score of 6 was below there minimum (7). Should I even bother with this school? Thanks guys!

ignore. im doing admin stuff.

i also got a verbal score below a 6 and i don't know if i'll get a secondary from them

why is it so quiet in here? How optional is the essay...

i was just wondering the same thing! i really haven't "encountered various challenges" above the normal premed student...i guess i could talk about myself some more if they want to "gain insight into the applicant as an individual," but is it worth filling it in, or would they just see it as a waste of their time?

The essay last year wasn't optional, but at the interview sessions the adcom director mentioned that they took it into account when considering who to grant interviews to, I would probably fill it out.

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the list of activities part. Aside from the fact that my detailed memories of my activities only goes back so far (like, I dunno, 1992?), and I left high school in 1986, do you think it would be kosher to label a field "odd jobs" - 1986 - 1992, and then list the kinds of jobs I held, because right now, that's how it stands. Also, although I finished it, I think I may have done it wrong by starting with my newest stuff first, because it still shows up as incomplete, even though I've saved it and moved on... any assistance would be most welcome!

S.

Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the list of activities part. Aside from the fact that my detailed memories of my activities only goes back so far (like, I dunno, 1992?), and I left high school in 1986, do you think it would be kosher to label a field "odd jobs" - 1986 - 1992, and then list the kinds of jobs I held, because right now, that's how it stands. Also, although I finished it, I think I may have done it wrong by starting with my newest stuff first, because it still shows up as incomplete, even though I've saved it and moved on... any assistance would be most welcome!

S.

All better now. Turns out that I didn't have hours in some of the hour fields. Without a doubt, this was one of the harder secondaries for me to fill out. Ohmigod, since high school? I think that would have been hard for me to do 15 years ago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they still offer interviews to all WI residents that apply??

Does anyone know if they still offer interviews to all WI residents that apply??

Up until last application year UW did invite a large majority of the IS applicants, but accepted a smaller percentage of these people. Now UW is more stringent on who they invite for interviews but the likelihood of getting an acceptance once interviewed is better.

I talked to UW a few weeks ago and they said that they expect to start offering invites in early September, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

can someone help me out with the record of residence pages? the first one (page A) says:

To be completed by all students seeking Wisconsin residence for tuition purposes:
All fields are required unless otherwise specified. Use N/A if necessary.

then it says "No if no, you will be transported to the next section of the application"

so since my response is no (and it never transported me anywhere else) do i just put N/A in the personal info section of page A and for all other fields on pages B, C, and D? My parents dont' live in Wisconsin, but there is a field for "State" on those pages which made me feel like i should fill them out anyway.

any help would be appreciated.

Up until last application year UW did invite a large majority of the IS applicants, but accepted a smaller percentage of these people. Now UW is more stringent on who they invite for interviews but the likelihood of getting an acceptance once interviewed is better.

I talked to UW a few weeks ago and they said that they expect to start offering invites in early September, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

IIRC, ~75% of in-state and ~35% of OOS interviewees were accepted last year, and yeah, they don't have automatic interviews anymore for IS people.

For those wondering about the interview schedule, the EDP interviewees will be here this Friday, then there will be two weeks with no interviews, and the first interview date will be Oct 3, IIRC. Last year, the first invites went out Sept 17.

IIRC, ~75% of in-state and ~35% of OOS interviewees were accepted last year, and yeah, they don't have automatic interviews anymore for IS people.

For those wondering about the interview schedule, the EDP interviewees will be here this Friday, then there will be two weeks with no interviews, and the first interview date will be Oct 3, IIRC. Last year, the first invites went out Sept 17.

Thanks for the update! but I don't think your percentages add up correctly...

p.s. I wish they still interviewed all ISers!

Thanks for the update! but I don't think your percentages add up correctly...

p.s. I wish they still interviewed all ISers!

What do you mean about percentages?

IIRC it was something like this last year:

~220/~300 (~75%) IS interviewees were accepted

~100/~300 (~35%) OOS interviewees were accepted

Total 320 acceptances for 165 seats, which seems pretty accurate, as the waitlists were probably ~80 IS and ~40 OOS. IIRC, no IS applicants got immediate rejections but I could be wrong about that.

I could be wrong as I interviewed a long time ago but that is probably close to accurate.

you are right on...got an interview invite today for october 3rd

you are right on...got an interview invite today for october 3rd

Well, you will be in Madison at an interesting time... block 1 exam week for M1s, and what are called "integrating cases" for us, the first new curriculum PBL element. Thursday night we'll have finished our exams, so if you have a student host things could be rather exciting haha

Well, you will be in Madison at an interesting time... exam week, and what are called "integrating cases" for us, the first new curriculum PBL element. Thursday night we'll have finished our first exams, so if you have a student host things could be rather exciting haha

i had to reschedule it for 10/10...do you currently go there? i have a pretty stupid question: is there an airport in madison and how far is the med school from the airport? i have never been to the state and will be flying in from maryland...have fun at your post exam celebrations! :hardy:

i had to reschedule it for 10/10...do you currently go there? i have a pretty stupid question: is there an airport in madison and how far is the med school from the airport? i have never been to the state and will be flying in from maryland...have fun at your post exam celebrations! :hardy:

Yes, I am a M1. Yes there is an airport (airport code MSN) and it is about 15-20 minutes drive from the med school.

For student interviewers, are they gonna be M1 or M2s? Or both?

M2s... the student interview doesn't really count for much at all. I mean they do tell the admissions committee a little bit, but it's more about how you'd fit into the culture of the school. It's really more of a way for you to get to know the students.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying with a student host whether or not you go to the Thursday night social. DEFINITELY don't dress up for the Thursday night social.

If anyone has any questions about UW, the school, the admissions process, the interview day, or anything else, I'd be happy to answer them in this thread or via PM.

question: would it be a waste of money for me to apply to UW? i have a very low gpa and 37mcat and outof state. i have applied to UMinnesota because i am interested in midwest. and to MCW. but UW is even more competitive than those 2 schools. i still havent completed any of my secondaries. and i hear a lot of people are getting placed on hold at mcw and suny upstate which are much less selective. and another school is georgetown. filling out their secondary seems humiliating to me. write such a long essay of why you want to go to their school(do they really think they are so special?) and they most likely would just take my $100 and not even offer an interview. i mean i dont care about the money. but UW is more selective than Georgetown and im already thinking of withdrawing from georgetown presecondary.

question: would it be a waste of money for me to apply to UW? i have a very low gpa and 37mcat and outof state. i have applied to UMinnesota because i am interested in midwest. and to MCW. but UW is even more competitive than those 2 schools. i still havent completed any of my secondaries. and i hear a lot of people are getting placed on hold at mcw and suny upstate which are much less selective. and another school is georgetown. filling out their secondary seems humiliating to me. write such a long essay of why you want to go to their school(do they really think they are so special?) and they most likely would just take my $100 and not even offer an interview. i mean i dont care about the money. but UW is more selective than Georgetown and im already thinking of withdrawing from georgetown presecondary.

Define very low GPA... The MCAT is certainly competitive but I think the OOS acceptee average from last year was about 3.8/33. You never know, though...

Define very low GPA... The MCAT is certainly competitive but I think the OOS acceptee average from last year was about 3.8/33. You never know, though...

my science and bcpm are both about 3.40. this makes it tough even at the least selective schools because even they have 3.50+ avg. but i am applying to a wide variety of schools, because i know sometimes people "slip through the cracks". but i feel i have a better chance to score if i just come up to a random girl at a club and ask her "want to sex me". i mean it happens sometimes. im not applying to ivies. 3.8/33 is about similar to dartmouth... mcw and uminnesota both have lower scores and though i am applying there i dont expect to hear anything from them. i'll be happy to go to med school anywhere. but... i heard that of the big 3: penn state, u minnesota, uw: UW has the hottest girls. not that it matters.

my science and bcpm are both about 3.40. this makes it tough even at the least selective schools because even they have 3.50+ avg. but i am applying to a wide variety of schools, because i know sometimes people "slip through the cracks". but i feel i have a better chance to score if i just come up to a random girl at a club and ask her "want to sex me". i mean it happens sometimes. im not applying to ivies. 3.8/33 is about similar to dartmouth... mcw and uminnesota both have lower scores and though i am applying there i dont expect to hear anything from them. i'll be happy to go to med school anywhere. but... i heard that of the big 3: penn state, u minnesota, uw: UW has the hottest girls. not that it matters.

well...i have a 3.45 cGPA and 3.22 science GPA with a 36 MCAT. i'm not URM, and somehow I got interviews at both Wisconsin and Georgetown. I think you are in an even better situation than I am. In terms of competitiveness, both Wisconsin and Georgetown have about the same acceptance rate (Wisconsin is ~3.2% for OOS and Georgetown is ~3.4% for OOS). As for reputation, quality of facilities/education, and hot girls, well I'd have to go with Wisconsin on this one.

Great pick up line, btw. My favorite is: how do you like your eggs in the morning? Fertilized? yea jk.

Madison has an amazing amount of hot girls and they seem to substantially outnumber the guys... :thumbup::thumbup:

well...i have a 3.45 cGPA and 3.22 science GPA with a 36 MCAT. i'm not URM, and somehow I got interviews at both Wisconsin and Georgetown. I think you are in an even better situation than I am. In terms of competitiveness, both Wisconsin and Georgetown have about the same acceptance rate (Wisconsin is ~3.2% for OOS and Georgetown is ~3.4% for OOS). As for reputation, quality of facilities/education, and hot girls, well I'd have to go with Wisconsin on this one.

Great pick up line, btw. My favorite is: how do you like your eggs in the morning? Fertilized? yea jk.

The rate you need to be concerned with is not the acceptance rate among all applicants but the acceptance rate among OOS interviewees which is about 35%. I imagine the rate for people interviewing in the first two sessions is more like 50-60% though, because I think about 60-70% of apps have been reviewed so the ppl getting interviews are the ones they like.

The rate you need to be concerned with is not the acceptance rate among all applicants but the acceptance rate among OOS interviewees which is about 35%. I imagine the rate for people interviewing in the first two sessions is more like 50-60% though, because I think about 60-70% of apps have been reviewed so the ppl getting interviews are the ones they like.

do you guys only interview on fridays? would interviewing on 10/10 count as within the first two sessions?

i noticed this thread because we're applying to some of the same schools too: albany, u vermont, nymc, mcw,etc. our numbers indeed seem to be very similar. but i am not very optimistic. i realize sometimes low numbers are overlooked, but it's rare. on the other hand if you dont get interviews at nymc, albany(im not saying that you won't) then i should be worried because it indicates that my numbers are low even for the least selective schools. and while it would suck if i couldnt get into some of my top choices, it would be infinitely worse if i got rejected everywhere i applied.
but anyway i added UW last night. and now i'll start working on all my secondaries. i know it's a tough job. good luck on your interviews.

i noticed this thread because we're applying to some of the same schools too: albany, u vermont, nymc, mcw,etc. our numbers indeed seem to be very similar. but i am not very optimistic. i realize sometimes low numbers are overlooked, but it's rare. on the other hand if you dont get interviews at nymc, albany(im not saying that you won't) then i should be worried because it indicates that my numbers are low even for the least selective schools. and while it would suck if i couldnt get into some of my top choices, it would be infinitely worse if i got rejected everywhere i applied.
but anyway i added UW last night. and now i'll start working on all my secondaries. i know it's a tough job. good luck on your interviews.

i didn't apply to albany. i have actually already heard back from vermont, nymc, penn state, and mcw, all of which say that i have been moved to a smaller, more competitive "potential" interview pool, but that i may not be given an interview (basically a hold). i'm not too worried about it cuz i absolutely love all three schools that i have been given interviews at. have some hope! i was terribly pessimistic going into the process, and it's still only sept! good luck man

Does anyone know if it is possible to submit a 4th academic letter instead of a non-academic letter? This just killed my ability to apply there if I can't.

i didn't apply to albany. i have actually already heard back from vermont, nymc, penn state, and mcw, all of which say that i have been moved to a smaller, more competitive "potential" interview pool, but that i may not be given an interview (basically a hold). i'm not too worried about it cuz i absolutely love all three schools that i have been given interviews at. have some hope! i was terribly pessimistic going into the process, and it's still only sept! good luck man

thanks! yeah i confused some mdapps profiles. once i finish my secondaries i'll just take it easy.

I just got back from the optional social. There were 2 M2's and 1 M4 there, they were all really nice. There were about 6 of us interviewees if I remember right. We asked alot of questions and it was very relaxing.

Oh yea, all the med students and interviewees there, male or female, were good looking :)

Does anyone know how to check to status of your application? Will the site that shows your LOR status and secondary confirmation change if you are rejected or invited to interview?

4Health: no, it will come via email. THe status page won't change at all once you are complete.

Anyone that interviewed on Oct 3rd heard back from UW regarding final decision yet? I haven't and was curious if anyone else has.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

I talked with a lady at the admissions office today. She told me that the final decision letters for the first interview group will probably go out some time in mid November, contrary to what Dean Wall said at the interview (prior to November).

Hello. I have a question for anyone who can answer. I was complete 9/18 and have still heard nothing back yet. Should I be worried??? I'm in state, 29Q mcat 4.0 non sci gpa, 3.9 science gpa. Strong ec's and volunteering. From what i've seen on other posts it looks like they send out interview invites only ~2 weeks before the interview date. But i'm still a little worried because many other schools have already gotten back to me. I'm thinking of calling to ask the status of my application. Should I do this? Should I be worried? UW is my number one choice. Thanks.

whats your MCAT break down?

And no, I wouldn't be worried. It was 7 weeks before I heard back from UW-Madison. The admissions committee is probably very busy with alot of applications. Once you are complete, it's basically just a long wait until it comes. I was complete at MCW on 8/4 and have yet to hear back with an interview or rejection.

ps 11 vr 8 bs 10.

Oh, one more thing. When you get the email invite, do they give you dates to choose from or do they just give you the exact date they want you to come??? do they give you 1, 2, or 3 dates etc to choose from????? Thanks.

Exact date. You can reschedule if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.