OSU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tall gal you need to get in line I spoke up first.
The list goes
Saylorsdad 11/19 2:24pm
Nobleheart 11/19 9:13pm
tallgal0523 11/20 2:05pm

Members don't see this ad.

I hope we all interview together....funny stuff.

Yes indeed I hope we get interview together, just don't be jumping line!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tall gal you need to get in line I spoke up first.
The list goes
Saylorsdad 11/19 2:24pm
Nobleheart 11/19 9:13pm
tallgal0523 11/20 2:05pm

:laugh: I guess this is when the competitiveness comes into play!!! Hopefully we will all get interviews on the same day :)

I may as well chime in and call next then......maybe people keep posting negative things about OSU then all will drop and we will have a class of 4

Count me in as #5...

I was at the hospital/clinic today and they unveiled their "Save Our Hospital" sign. It will be interesting to see how it all goes. I don't think St. John's taking over is a good idea, but I could be wrong there.

My signature is on that sign :D

There was a city council meeting tonight to decide whether or not to put the hospital in a city trust so that it wouldn't be a state run hospital. I guess this way other people could come in to run the hospital. I don't know what was decided yet, though.

Update:
The city council approved the measure and the decision is to be delivered to the state legislature tomorrow morning.
You can read about it at Tulsa World. Here's the link http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20081120_298_TheC364458

Last edited:
the St John thing is the first workable option I've seen that the state legislature may very well support.

I was at the city council meeting last night. Basically, the vote was to set up a trust for the hospital. This provides a means for funding (right now we just have the offered St John/Seigfried donation), which would have to be primarily funded by the state. This whole thing also involves a means to run the facility, which is something that has been an issue in the past. While the city council vote doesn't actually fix anything right now, it does set things up much better for legislator support.

I again encourage you okies to call, write, or email your state legislators. I posted a link in an earlier post. We still need as many people as possible to let them know that this is important. I've attached a document (I didn't put this together) with info to help overview the current salient points.

Attachments

• How_you_can_help_save_OSUMC[1].doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 262
Count me in as #5...

I was at the hospital/clinic today and they unveiled their "Save Our Hospital" sign. It will be interesting to see how it all goes. I don't think St. John's taking over is a good idea, but I could be wrong there.

While you may not be a fan of St. John's right now, they are a huge player in this. Not only does it provide an administration to run the hospital, which Dr. Mom pointed out, it also provides a cap on the amount of money the state would have to provide for. That is a huge step in keeping OSUMC open and fully fxnal as a teaching hospital. I was also at the City Coun. meeting last night and felt extremely proud to be apart of this student body and OSUMC. Don't get me wrong, you get a first rate education/experience from attending OSUCOM, but also become part of a family. That's why I chose this school. The students, the faculty, and the Residents... Hope the weekend goes well for all of you..

How is it that OU's med ctr in OKC can get 40 Mill a year and we can't get 10 - 20.

Not trying to make a big stink, but maybe because OU has almost double your medical student enrollment and I would venture way more than double your resident totals (although I couldn't find any total numbers)?

I keep hearing this $40 mil number thrown out. Anyone have a source for this and what it entails? Does it include the OU facilities in Tulsa as well?

I have no ill will toward OSU (in fact my best friend is a 4th yr who got screwed by this whole deal because he will have to move now for residency), but I don't think that OU is the problem.

the legislature has been the problem as far as funding goes. I'm really hoping that they take this opportunity to remedy this.

soonereng, really this shouldn't be a OU vs OSU thing. The funding is an issue, though. OSUMC (and Tulsa/NE Oklahoma in general) doesn't get state funding at all. That's not reasonable.

soonereng, really this shouldn't be a OU vs OSU thing. The funding is an issue, though. OSUMC (and Tulsa/NE Oklahoma in general) doesn't get state funding at all. That's not reasonable.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make it OU vs OSU, merely responding to a sentiment that I have seen on this and other threads. It seems that people blame OU for OSU not receiving money which I don't think is a valid position. I was also trying to throw some numbers out there as to why OU would get more funding.

I still don't know where this 40 mill number comes from. As far as I can tell it's closer to 8.4 mill if we're discussing state DSH funding which OSU Medical Center (TRMC) was not eligible for by exceeding UPL limits (whatever those are). This 8.4 is matched by 18 mill in federal funding.

Document explaining how OU gets its allocation (see pg 7)

Another document that explains why OU gets what it does (see bottom of pg 1 and top of pg 2)

2007 DSH Allocation (TRMC on 2nd page stating ineligibility for exceeding UPL)

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly dont think anyone is blaming OU. People are simply using it as a comparison. I think the point is that OU does get funding (like Dr Mom said). Tulsa does not get any. When you think about the fact that OSUMC serves 50,000 patients without medical insurance, it not getting any state funding just isn't right. By the way, the number of residency positions at OSUMC is close to being boosted to 150. After that, OSUMC will automatically qualify for more funding.

I actually just saw this article on Tulsa World talking about the funding for OKC and Tulsa. It talks about the differences in DSH funds for the two cities. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20081123_16_A1_hOffic471635

Last edited:
Soonereng:
Basically we view OU with a little bit of jealousy in the way that the state legislature treats them. I haven't had time to dig, but via Scot Meachem, who should know on such matters, OU receives 40 million a year for the running of their med ctr in OKC, thats not the schools funding, just the hosp. Then that fourty mill is put into a federal match program making it close to 70 million by the time its all said and done with. I do know they have a larger class size, but I don't think (notice didn't say I know) that they have 300 resident positions. Thats a LOT of spots, and thats what they would need to be double ours. I've got love for OU, I have a buddy thats a first year there, but I'd like to see our school represented a little bit better.

Soonereng:
Basically we view OU with a little bit of jealousy in the way that the state legislature treats them. I haven't had time to dig, but via Scot Meachem, who should know on such matters, OU receives 40 million a year for the running of their med ctr in OKC, thats not the schools funding, just the hosp. Then that fourty mill is put into a federal match program making it close to 70 million by the time its all said and done with. I do know they have a larger class size, but I don't think (notice didn't say I know) that they have 300 resident positions. Thats a LOT of spots, and thats what they would need to be double ours. I've got love for OU, I have a buddy thats a first year there, but I'd like to see our school represented a little bit better.

Read the story that sookie posted above. I don't think you have the numbers right. All the numbers that I have seen are in that article. The only one that means anything is the DSH funding which OSUMC didn't recieve due to a business decision by Ardent. Ardent would rather categorize the treatment as bad debt (probably to offset gains in some other hospital, hence reducing their taxes). St Francis and St Johns got 5 million in DSH funding this yr. It really boils down to Ardent wanting to have their cake and eat it too, and in the process screwing the OSU students.

Also, if you believe wikipedia: OU has 650 residents/fellows and OSU has 126 residents/fellows.

I talked to Sarah Q this morning. There are still two interview positions open for next week, and she said the committee is still reviewing applications to fill those spots. She did not say when they will be calling.

Man you guys are quick. I have searched the TV station websites and it appears Channel 2 is the main one to air tonight at 10 about it. From what I watched Benge still isn't all that happy. :thumbdown: Things are looking pretty good in the mean while though..

Hey, don't mind me. I just wanted to post OSUCOM's match lists for 2003-2008, for anyone who's interested. :)

Attachments

• OSUCOM Match List 2003.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 549
  • OSUCOM Match List 2004.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 506
  • OSUCOM Match List 2005.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 497
  • OSUCOM Match List 2006.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 630
  • OSUCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 631
  • OSUCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,031
Last edited:
Hey guys! I just made a facebook group for OSU-COM Class of 2013! Make sure you join it once you are accepted!

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I have an interview at OSU on Thursday, and I'm just wondering if there is any way to find out how many spots they have left to fill?

Also, has anyone else heard that they are upping the number of spots from 88 to 120? I did a tour a few months ago and that's what the tourguide said, but I have not found this anywhere else...?

I am not sure about upping the number of spots. The plans have been a few years in the making to up the class size. my bet is with the logistics of the hospital eating up admin's time the increase in class size is still a year away. Also from what I heard they were susposed to gradually increase the size to 110.
Best of luck with your interview are you in state or out of state?

We keep hearing that the class size will EVENTUALLY be upped to 112-115. As stated above, I seriously doubt it happens this year due to all the mess with the hospital. I'm sure it will happen soon though as they have been discussing it for a few years now. Good luck to all that are interviewing. You'll do fine as long as you relax.. ;)

Well thanks, the tourguide had just said that it would be upped for the class of 2009... so who knows.
I am in state, so I'm hoping that gives me a better chance... This school is really my only option because of finances and family. So I'm really hoping to get in!
Any ideas how often the committee meets on acceptance or how often they notify those who are accepted? I'm guessing it won't be until January due to the Christmas break. I can't take waiting much longer!

Sounds like the turnaround is usually around two weeks...but I bet you are right about the delay for the holidays.

When were you complete?

Congrats..

I was wondering if it is too late or not worth it to send in my secondary app this week. The reason I have waited is due t o finances and my DO taking 4 months to write me a LOR. I just found $80 in my nightstand last nite and I want too send in my secondary. I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas which is about 90 miles from Tulsa. I would like to go to OSUCOM to be close to my family but I don't want to waste the money if I have no chance to get in. Should I apply anyways? Thanks

The way I understand it, the committee meets with the interviewers at the end of the day of interviews. They go through each candidate and give a blind score, then a second score after seeing all the applicants numbers. Ideally, the committee meets a day or two after that set of interviews is complete and they go through everyone they just interviewed plus everyone on the waitlist up to that point. Acceptances come by UPS, but in years past, Sarah Q has called to "verify your address" and that's your clue that you're in. Waitlist and letters of reapplication come by snail mail. I have interviewed twice and waitlisted twice, and I had my letter both times within two weeks. I wouldn't think they would keep you hanging till after the break, that's just torture.

On the number of acceptances so far, just ask them. They can tell you how many acceptances they have offered or how many spots they have left or whatever.

When I interviewed in January last year, roughly half the class seats had been offered at that time.

I found out today that Sarah has already started calling people for January interviews :wow::wow: I wonder how many spots are left...

To help you guys out I want to mention that something like 5 people in my class interviewed together on the *last* interview day for that year. Don't stress too much at this point.

In update on the hospital situation: no details, but the plan to have a mix of public and private funding along with St John operating the facility looks good. We residents are feeling much better about our situation and the situation for the medical students. Nothing will be said and done until the legislature convenes in Feb and addresses our funding issues, but the leadership in the state house & senate says they're supporting it.

I found out today that Sarah has already started calling people for January interviews :wow::wow: I wonder how many spots are left...

I completed my application to OSU on Oct. 22. If they can't reach you by your home phone, they will try your cell, right? :laugh: Anyway, thanks Dr. Mom. The wait is getting unbearable.

I completed my application to OSU on Oct. 22. If they can't reach you by your home phone, they will try your cell, right? :laugh: Anyway, thanks Dr. Mom. The wait is getting unbearable.

I only provided my cell phone but I guess they would...they also leave messages and tell you to call them back.

I have heard that most spots are filled in the months of january and febuary. So don't sweat no call yet. yes there are fewer spots open, but you only need one. That's my thinking

I have heard that most spots are filled in the months of january and febuary. So don't sweat no call yet. yes there are fewer spots open, but you only need one. That's my thinking

February? Really? I thought they were going to stick to what they have been doing...calling people about two weeks before the interview. Is anyone applying to the bridge program? Do you know if they have already started looking at bridge applications?

I was a little unclear as to what I meant I have no idea how many interview slots there are filled in january.
As for filling open seats I was told to expect around half of the class to be filled in the months of january and febuary. After that there will be additional seats to fill due to last minute wait list movement from other schools causing a dominoe effect on every school in the nation. I have heard of one guy getting his spot at osu the day before school started.

I will be applying to the bridge program, I don't think they even look at applicants until march.

I believe you are right, they do not look at bridge apps until later. If they want you to interview for the bridge, they will contact you sometime in march. It is an excellent program, especially if you have family. Also, I believe you get a better grasp on the material. I recommend it to anyone. Good luck to everyone

Just wanted to let you guys know the good news we residents got tonight about the hospital, residencies, and med student rotations.

Oklahoma City - Governor Brad Henry, legislative leaders and Tulsa officials announced today that they have finalized an agreement to save the Oklahoma State University medical program and the OSU Medical Center in Tulsa. The plan will provide, among other things, immediate support to the Tulsa health care system, adding hundreds of millions of new public and private dollars.
>
>Last week, the Governor, House Speaker Chris Benge, Senate President Pro Tempore Glenn Coffee and Treasurer Scott Meacham met with OSU leaders and Tulsa stakeholders to hammer out a tentative deal. In the days that followed, the parties reviewed the details and gave their final approval, clearing the way for today?s announcement.
>
>Under the agreement, Ardent Health Services, the current owner of the OSU hospital, will donate the facility to a local Tulsa trust, which will then contract with St. John Health System to operate the hospital.
>
>To ensure the success of the effort, the state will allocate $25 million in capital funding to update and retool the OSU Medical Center and provide a $48 million, five-year state contribution for operating costs. The state will allocate $28 million in operational funds the first year followed by annual $5 million appropriations in the subsequent four years. Another $2.5 million will be earmarked annually for clinical care for indigent patients.
>
>The Kaiser Family Foundation and St. John have also committed private funds to ensure the continued viability of the OSU Medical Center. They have agreed to provide $7 million a year for five years, for a total of $35 million, for operating expenses.
>
>An additional component of the plan would further address indigent care concerns at OSU Medical Center as well as the surrounding Tulsa area. The state has agreed to mount an aggressive campaign to enroll eligible patients in Insure Oklahoma, a state initiative that provides subsidized health insurance to working individuals and families. The state share of the Tulsa enrollment effort could be as much as $51 million annually and should substantially relieve the pressures of uncompensated care at OSUMC and throughout the Tulsa area.
>
>Under the agreement, the State of Oklahoma will invest up to $328 million into the OSU Medical Center and healthcare in Tulsa over the next five years.
>
>?This initiative will help address the most significant health care challenges in the Tulsa area,? said Gov. Henry. ?It preserves the OSU medical program, saves the OSU Medical Center and targets the root of the indigent care problem with the help of Insure Oklahoma.
>
>?I want to thank legislative leaders, Treasurer Meacham and all of the Tulsa stakeholders for their hard work. I also want to thank George Kaiser and the Kaiser Family Foundation for stepping forward with their private support to make this initiative a reality. It would not have happened without that kind of local, private support.?
>
>?I would like to add my voice of thanks and appreciation to those leaders who have worked so hard to bring about this solution to the health care delivery system in Tulsa and northeast Oklahoma,? Senate President Pro Tempore Glenn Coffee said. ?I?m pleased we now have clarification on this matter so we can move forward to meet the medical needs of those served by this facility.
>
>?All along we have wanted to stabilize the OSU residency program without adversely affecting indigent care in northeastern Oklahoma, and I believe this agreement successfully does just that,? Speaker of the House Chris Benge said.
>
>OSU President Burns Hargis commented, ?We sincerely thank the many state and local leaders who diligently worked through an assortment of complex issues to seek a plan to preserve the OSU residency program and this critical source of physicians for Oklahoma as well as to ensure the availability of indigent health care in Tulsa and northeastern Oklahoma.?
>
>"St. John appreciates the support of city and state leaders who worked tirelessly to find a viable long-term solution that will continue accreditation for Oklahoma State University's College of Osteopathic Medicine and allow Oklahoma State University Medical Center to remain a viable provider of healthcare services to the citizens of Oklahoma," said Lex Anderson, St. John Health System chief financial officer. "We believe we have arrived at a comprehensive plan that will provide medical care to many of our state's poorest and most vulnerable citizens, while continuing OSU's educational programs to create the next generation of physicians that will serve all of Oklahoma.?
>
>The parties to the agreement believe the OSU Medical Center will be operating profitably in five years due to the impact of the Insure Oklahoma initiative and the public and private investments. Gov. Henry and legislative leaders said they hope to pass legislation implementing the Tulsa agreement in the first month of the legislative session in February.
>
>Jennifer Monies
>Press Secretary for
>the Speaker of the House

This is excellent news. We weren't expecting anything this definitive before February. Looks like all is well again.

Just wanted to let you guys know the good news we residents got tonight about the hospital, residencies, and med student rotations.

This is excellent news. We weren't expecting anything this definitive before February. Looks like all is well again.

What does this do for the programs which were ending in june?

Way to represent, Dr. Mom and friends. Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel.

What does this do for the programs which were ending in june?

afaik, all of the programs will survive. now we still have to confirm that OSU isn't really going to end their contract with my attendings, but other than that everyone should be okay

Way to represent, Dr. Mom and friends. Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel.

Nothing like 130+ highly educated, highly motivated, nose deep in debt folks to make some noise ;)

afaik, all of the programs will survive.

I totally had to google "afaik"... thank god for netlingo.com!

I'm really happy that all the residents got so involved. Good job, guys.

Sooo...no news from OSU...but I did get an "A" in biochemistry...wooo hooo...I was worried after that comprehensive final...and lord knows that I needed some good news.

Any ways...not braggin'...just sharin'...and bumping the thread,

Hope everyone is acing their finals...go get 'em

sooo...no news from osu...but i did get an "a" in biochemistry...wooo hooo...i was worried after that comprehensive final...and lord knows that i needed some good news.

Any ways...not braggin'...just sharin'...and bumping the thread,

hope everyone is acing their finals...go get 'em

congrats on your 'a':hungover:

Edit: That was a happy face I'm not sure what happened:0

Does anyone know what the deposit is to secure your seat and how quickly it is due??

i am pretty sure it was 100 dollars and my deposit is due dec. 15 and i was accepted the 20th of November. if that is any help

Status
Not open for further replies.