2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need to enter information about our parents in fafsa to be eligible for scholarships even if we classify as independent students? Fafsa says something about recommending it to health students in fields such as medicine and nursing.
I called FIU and they told me they didn't require that info unlike other schools...but I am not sure if we still need to fill it out to get scholarships??
 
Do we need to enter information about our parents in fafsa to be eligible for scholarships even if we classify as independent students? Fafsa says something about recommending it to health students in fields such as medicine and nursing.
I called FIU and they told me they didn't require that info unlike other schools...but I am not sure if we still need to fill it out to get scholarships??

Not sure, call and ask. They're really good about answering the 50 million questions I pose to them. 🙂

I included my mother's income just to be safe.
 
I don't know about last year, but the thread 2 years ago involved someone getting news about a scholarship in February. Yes, yes...I'm THAT dorky. I not only read last year's thread, but the one for the original entering class as well. 🙂

Did you send in your scholarship application?

Yes! I was glad it was only one essay! Pretty easy. And don't worry... I've read both years as well 🙂 I didn't see the February date- maybe I skipped a page on that thread or something. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a heads up. Moments ago I received an email about due dates for fafsa and the scholarship application form. For priority consideration both should be submitted no later than:

Thursday January, 27th.

This has been your friendly neighborhood deadline reminder. 😎
 
Has anyone heard anything about how many people are on this list? They're not as open as UCF is about your position on this list so I'm just trying to figure out my chances.

I'd really like to go here. If you have very little intention of going here and have multiple acceptances please let it go so others with no acceptances can find peace a little faster! It would be so kind of you 🙂
 
If we are on the accepted/alternate list are we still eligible to apply for scholarships? I know that I have to complete FAFSA, but I never received a "scholarship form" or was told to "write an essay" as people have been discussing above. Any thoughts? I don't think it would necessarily be fair to have the scholarship applications due in February because that would mean that everyone admitted AFTER February would be ineligible...most schools admit a substantial proportion of their classes in and after March...

I'm confused...
 
If we are on the accepted/alternate list are we still eligible to apply for scholarships? I know that I have to complete FAFSA, but I never received a "scholarship form" or was told to "write an essay" as people have been discussing above. Any thoughts? I don't think it would necessarily be fair to have the scholarship applications due in February because that would mean that everyone admitted AFTER February would be ineligible...most schools admit a substantial proportion of their classes in and after March...

I'm confused...


I've also been wondering about this.
 
My assumption (I have not called, but this logically makes sense) is that until you have a spot and pay the $100, you are not YET eligible for the scholarship. It makes sense that they would not want to originally consider someone who may not be invited into the class.

However, I think it would make sense that they not award all scholarships early on, or that not everyone who gets a scholarship will 100% go here, opening it up to others later on. The date I listed above is priority, not a hard deadline.

Try calling again on Monday to ask. I have only gotten the answering machine there once, and it was around the same time you did. An hour later someone answered.

Good luck with this. It's a good question!
 
My assumption (I have not called, but this logically makes sense) is that until you have a spot and pay the $100, you are not YET eligible for the scholarship. It makes sense that they would not want to originally consider someone who may not be invited into the class.

However, I think it would make sense that they not award all scholarships early on, or that not everyone who gets a scholarship will 100% go here, opening it up to others later on. The date I listed above is priority, not a hard deadline.

Try calling again on Monday to ask. I have only gotten the answering machine there once, and it was around the same time you did. An hour later someone answered.

Good luck with this. It's a good question!


I called today and the deadlines mentioned are for those who have been accepted and paid their deposits. The lady I spoke to said that as you come off the accepted/alternate list, the same benefits will be available to you but on a different deadline. My understanding was that everyone will have the same opportunities, just at different times. Also, I asked her if they ever let anyone know where they stand on the list and she said they couldn't, but if anyone else has heard otherwise I'm all ears on how to get that info out of them
 
sometimes they will tell you if you're in "good shape on the list," and when they estimate that you might get an offer (approximate month).
 
I'm 9 weeks post-interview and my status says "admissions committee scheduled." Anyone else in the same boat waiting to hear on a decision? This may have been discussed already but how long has been the typical turnaround between interview and decision? Thanks! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I interviewed the first week of Oct, and just received my decision yesterday. So...it can take quite a while; 14+ weeks in my case.

I believe it had been 2 months though since my status changed to admissions committee scheduled.
 
Just withdrew my seat. Hopefully someone on here gets some good news in the next couple of days.

Thanks a lot Wanderer!We really appreciate your decision of withdrawing early so one of us can get a seat. Best of luck wherever you decide to go 🙂 ...let's see if somebody here gets it. 😀
 
just got my accepted/alternate email...anyone else on the alternate list? i'm just wondering how long it might take to get another update...i really just want to know 100% that i'm in 🙁
 
+1. I received an email today saying I've been "accepted" but that I'm on the waitlist. I'm hopeful that this status will change soon!! :xf:

Does anyone know if there has been any movement from this status to an official acceptance yet?
 
+1. I received an email today saying I've been "accepted" but that I'm on the waitlist. I'm hopeful that this status will change soon!! :xf:

Does anyone know if there has been any movement from this status to an official acceptance yet?

Nope, no movement so far....
 
+1. I received an email today saying I've been "accepted" but that I'm on the waitlist. I'm hopeful that this status will change soon!! :xf:

Does anyone know if there has been any movement from this status to an official acceptance yet?

Yep there has been. I was accepted to the alternate and later taken off of it. As ppl withdraw, ppl are taken off the list according to how high on the list you are. Hope this helps. Keep the faith.
 
just got accepted/alternate listed today!!! very excited!! 🙂 anybody else out there that got accepted who was interviewed on friday, november 12th???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been on the Accepted/Alternate list since mid-December, interviewed early October. I really wish I could know for sure here. I absolutely loved the school and would love to start planning my future life in Miami 😀
 
I interviewed on November 22, and am currently in " Adcom. scheduled" status. I have a feeling my group of interveiwers will have answers next week. Hope there is still room on that alternate list! I am assuming the class is full at this point because I haven't heard of a hard acceptance in a while.

Also, I wonder if an update letter would be strategic before the next committee meeting on Tuesday? Any opinions? Does FIU prefer that you make updates using their website option?:xf:
 
I interviewed on November 22, and am currently in " Adcom. scheduled" status. I have a feeling my group of interveiwers will have answers next week. Hope there is still room on that alternate list! I am assuming the class is full at this point because I haven't heard of a hard acceptance in a while.

Also, I wonder if an update letter would be strategic before the next committee meeting on Tuesday? Any opinions? Does FIU prefer that you make updates using their website option?:xf:

I updated using the website, and it seemed to work out fine. I believe they prefer you use the website function. In fact, they even limit the number of times you can update them via website, which makes me think they are trying to keep people from updating 50 times a day. 🙂 Good luck! 👍
 
Just got accepted to the alternate list today! Interviewed 11/19. I will most likely be giving up this spot soon so one of you deserving people can get it! 😀
 
purplesky, i interviewed 11/19 and got the accepted/alternate email today as well...... did you interview morning or afternoon session?
 
I have been pondering this for the last half hour or so and maybe some of you can shed some light on this for me....

So, After reading through some previous posts on this forum and from what I remember from my interview day, the acceptance/alternate is not a GUARANTEED acceptance? Correct?

But if that is the case, then some people will receive an email saying- congratulations, you have been "accepted"..........only to not ever really be accepted? That just seems like it would be a little cruel don't you think? I mean i would be upset if it was the only "acceptance" that i got, but then a seat never opened up for me....

Am I understanding things correctly? Any thoughts?
 
They said 75% of the people get off the list, so I can see why it's referred to as an accepted/alternate list rather than just a wait list.
 
Last edited:
I have been pondering this for the last half hour or so and maybe some of you can shed some light on this for me....

So, After reading through some previous posts on this forum and from what I remember from my interview day, the acceptance/alternate is not a GUARANTEED acceptance? Correct?

But if that is the case, then some people will receive an email saying- congratulations, you have been "accepted"..........only to not ever really be accepted? That just seems like it would be a little cruel don't you think? I mean i would be upset if it was the only "acceptance" that i got, but then a seat never opened up for me....

Am I understanding things correctly? Any thoughts?

The email clearly says you are accepted to the alternate list and that you are not assured a spot. Once you're taken off of the alternate list you are assured a spot for which you owe a deposit. They clearly said on interview day that not everyone gets off of it. So you are aware of the possibility of not actually getting a seat.
 
Received accepted/alternate list today! C'mon people with multiple acceptances, withdraw your app so I have a better chance of going home! if not for me, for my little brother with asperger's syndrome who needs his big sister around to be there for him :/
 
maniacmath13 They said 75% of the people get off the list, so I can see why it's referred to as an accepted/alternate list rather than just a wait list.

I agree..Makes sense to call it something other than a traditional wait list. But i still think calling it "accepted" makes it confusing. At least for me 🙂

The email clearly says you are accepted to the alternate list and that you are not assured a spot. Once you're taken off of the alternate list you are assured a spot for which you owe a deposit. They clearly said on interview day that not everyone gets off of it. So you are aware of the possibility of not actually getting a seat.

The first paragraph of the email sounds like a traditional acceptance. Alternate/Wait list is mentioned after. thats what threw me off... And i remember many of us were a little confused about the alternate/accepted list during my interview, so for me it wasnt that clear....but it was my first interview, i was pretty nervous and was probably worrying about my interview performance instead of nailing down the details of the alternate/accept list 🙂

Thanks for the replies guys....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was accepted onto the alternate/waitlist! Excited but nervous because I want the list to move! lol

Does anyone know how long this list is? And how exactly is the list ranked? Hopefully it's not solely based on mcat/gpa - but other factors like extra curriculars play a role as well! Anyone have any ideas??:xf:
 
Was accepted onto the alternate/waitlist! Excited but nervous because I want the list to move! lol

Does anyone know how long this list is? And how exactly is the list ranked? Hopefully it's not solely based on mcat/gpa - but other factors like extra curriculars play a role as well! Anyone have any ideas??:xf:

It's definitely not ranked based on mcat/gpa as I have been one of the few people who have posted on SDN about getting off the alternate list and while my gpa is stellar, my mcat is not. Good luck :xf:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.