2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No medical school would admit to filling their class already. How would they be able to get any new interviewees after that information got out?

Has anyone that interviewed after November 16th been accepted? That is the day that alternate-list acceptances went out. Anyone that interviewed after that day that has been accepted would give credence to the claim that their class is not full. Until then I have my doubts >.<.
 
I cant speak to FIU, but plenty of med schools will admit to filling their classes because admissions is fluid, if you look at the numbers med schools have to accept many more applicants than they can hold because people turn them down, so just because a class is full doesn't mean anything...the class i was accepted to at VCU was full until the may 15th deadline and then they had to re accept for spots like mine when i decided to come here instead.
 
Thing is, I honestly believe they have handed out 80 acceptances already, but I also think they don't count this as filling the class because perhaps 80 deposits have not yet been made. Besides, as the above poster stated, you never know how many people are going to get into other schools and get better aid packages. FIU is an awesome deal for the floridians, but you have to remember it's a huge decision for OOSers due to the price tag.

This is of course only my opinion. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My admissions status just changed to Admissions Committee Review Completed as of yesterday. I know the turn-around time can take a little while, but how do they inform you of the decision? (e-mail, phone, snail mail?)
 
My admissions status just changed to Admissions Committee Review Completed as of yesterday. I know the turn-around time can take a little while, but how do they inform you of the decision? (e-mail, phone, snail mail?)
Email for me. Also the status page updates.
 
Thanks, congrats to you too! It'd be a nice gift for the holidays if we hear back within the next couple of weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.

Congrats BullDoc!! Welcome to the Accepted/Alternate group! Yes , I hope we don't have to wait until May to hear something.
 
I interviewed in the afternoon session on 10/29.

Oh wow, I interviewed that morning. I'm still on "Admissions Committee Scheduled" :scared: I wonder if the day you get reviewed has anything to do with how your interview went because I'm pretty sure mine wasn't all that great..... lol. Congrats on your accept/waitlist, I'm sure the list will move fast.
 
Oh wow, I interviewed that morning. I'm still on "Admissions Committee Scheduled" :scared: I wonder if the day you get reviewed has anything to do with how your interview went because I'm pretty sure mine wasn't all that great..... lol. Congrats on your accept/waitlist, I'm sure the list will move fast.

After reading through this thread, I don't think there's any particular order as to whose files they review first. DocTraveler interviewed after me and found out his decision a week earlier. I also know someone who interviewed 3 weeks before me that has still yet to hear a decision. I hope you hear good news soon!
 
Thing is, I honestly believe they have handed out 80 acceptances already, but I also think they don't count this as filling the class because perhaps 80 deposits have not yet been made. Besides, as the above poster stated, you never know how many people are going to get into other schools and get better aid packages. FIU is an awesome deal for the floridians, but you have to remember it's a huge decision for OOSers due to the price tag.

This is of course only my opinion. 🙂

This is my situation exactly. I love the school, and was accepted early on, but I've since gotten an acceptance to my state school, which will definitely save me a lot of money. As an OOS, it is a big gamble to spend over 50K a year on tuition alone to a school that hasn't graduated any students yet. However, I absolutely love FIU, so I'm holding out to see if I get money once they start awarding that.

I'm positive that they did fill up early on... my state school itself had already accepted over 2/3 of their much larger class at the end of November, but as the commentors have said, the classes are very fluid because a lot of people get into more than one school.

For all you waiting out there, good luck, and I promise that I'll decide as soon as I have the financial aid info from all schools involved... for the rest of you that also have multiple acceptances, please do the same. As a reapplicant who never got off of a wait list last year, it sucks to have no school to go to when others are sitting on many spots.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone from the november 1st group heard anything about when our adcom is actually scheduled? My status on the admissions portal changed to "adcom scheduled" on dec.6 but I remember they said we were supposed to be up for review dec.10, or were they jerking our chain?
 
Hi,

I interviewed in mid-November and my status changed to "adcom scheduled" on December 6th as well. They review applications on Tuesdays, so the next one would be tomorrow, December 14th. FIU told our interview group that our applications would be reviewed on one of three days (the first chance being tomorrow).

My question -- does the entire interview group change to "adcome scheduled" on a similar date, or does this change mean that your file will be reviewed in the coming X days/weeks?

Thanks!
 
has anyone from the november 1st group heard anything about when our adcom is actually scheduled? My status on the admissions portal changed to "adcom scheduled" on dec.6 but I remember they said we were supposed to be up for review dec.10, or were they jerking our chain?

I was a November 1st interviewee and I was Accepted/Alternate two weeks ago. So no, they didn't jerk your chain.

Good luck!
 
just got an accepted/alternate email...not sure just what that means though. Does anyone have any previous experience with it? does it mean I'll most likely get in at some point? or is it just a nice way to say that i've been "accepted" to their wait list? any info would be appreciated!
 
I'm accepted to FIU and am from Indiana. I'm planning to officially move to Fl (I'm an independent and am going to buy a condo/get a Fl driver's license/register to vote there, etc.). I'm looking at the guidelines for establishing residency (http://admissions.fiu.edu/how/forms/residency.pdf), and am wondering if it is possible to establish residency and pay in state tuition for my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years (obviously 1st year would definitely be OOS tuition, as I won't have been a resident for 12 mo's). Does anyone know if this is possible? Based on the website I linked above, it seems that it might be (I will meet the criteria in column A by spring 2012). I'll be going to FIU either way, but if I can pay OOS for only one year and IS for the next three.. that would be pretty awesome. I know some schools have policies that say if you start OOS, you pay OOS all four years, regardless...but I haven't seen anything like that on FIU's website, so I thought it was worth asking! I plan to contact the school, but thought I'd ask around here first. (I'm new to the idea of thinking about OOS vs. IS, so I apologize if I'm completely off base in hoping I might be able to swing this, haha.)
 
just got an accepted/alternate email...not sure just what that means though. Does anyone have any previous experience with it? does it mean I'll most likely get in at some point? or is it just a nice way to say that i've been "accepted" to their wait list? any info would be appreciated!

They went over this in great detail when I was there for an interview. Since they are new, they can't accept over 80 people. Each round of admissions they accept about 10 people and put the rest of the people they really like on the accepted/alternate list.

Others get put into the "final pool" which is their version of the wait list and the chances of getting in from there are very slim. Last year about 75% of the accepted/alternate list people were able to get off the list. The list is ranked, although the most they will tell you is if you are currently in the top 10 on the list by saying "you are in a favorable position" when you give them a call.
 
I'm accepted to FIU and am from Indiana. I'm planning to officially move to Fl (I'm an independent and am going to buy a condo/get a Fl driver's license/register to vote there, etc.). I'm looking at the guidelines for establishing residency (http://admissions.fiu.edu/how/forms/residency.pdf), and am wondering if it is possible to establish residency and pay in state tuition for my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years (obviously 1st year would definitely be OOS tuition, as I won't have been a resident for 12 mo's). Does anyone know if this is possible? Based on the website I linked above, it seems that it might be (I will meet the criteria in column A by spring 2012). I'll be going to FIU either way, but if I can pay OOS for only one year and IS for the next three.. that would be pretty awesome. I know some schools have policies that say if you start OOS, you pay OOS all four years, regardless...but I haven't seen anything like that on FIU's website, so I thought it was worth asking! I plan to contact the school, but thought I'd ask around here first. (I'm new to the idea of thinking about OOS vs. IS, so I apologize if I'm completely off base in hoping I might be able to swing this, haha.)

We were told during our interview date that due to Florida's law once you start as an OOS you will be considered OOS for 4 years. I specifically asked if we would be considered IS for second year and they said NO. I know they mentioned the issue of buying property or getting married to establish residency and i'm pretty sure that those do not grant you IS tuition.
 
We were told during our interview date that due to Florida's law once you start as an OOS you will be considered OOS for 4 years. I specifically asked if we would be considered IS for second year and they said NO. I know they mentioned the issue of buying property or getting married to establish residency and i'm pretty sure that those do not grant you IS tuition.

Getting married will grant you residency. This was one way they mentioned at my interview, but you shouldn't just go out and marry any random Floridian for obvious reasons.

I am not sure about buying property, but you can call and ask them about it. It's not the school that chooses to conduct things this way. It's the state law that mandates whether a person can come to the state as a student and use time spent while taking classes towards gaining residency.

Best bet, call and ask 🙂 If they aren't sure they will likely refer you to state legislation.
 
Getting married will grant you residency. This was one way they mentioned at my interview, but you shouldn't just go out and marry any random Floridian for obvious reasons.

I am not sure about buying property, but you can call and ask them about it. It's not the school that chooses to conduct things this way. It's the state law that mandates whether a person can come to the state as a student and use time spent while taking classes towards gaining residency.

Best bet, call and ask 🙂 If they aren't sure they will likely refer you to state legislation.
+1. I'm pretty sure my group was told the same thing about marrying a Fl resident and becoming IS.
 
Oh wow, I interviewed that morning. I'm still on "Admissions Committee Scheduled" :scared: I wonder if the day you get reviewed has anything to do with how your interview went because I'm pretty sure mine wasn't all that great..... lol. Congrats on your accept/waitlist, I'm sure the list will move fast.

I wonder the same thing too. I interviewed Oct 15th, and my status still says admission committee scheduled.
 
Getting married will grant you residency. This was one way they mentioned at my interview, but you shouldn't just go out and marry any random Floridian for obvious reasons.

I am not sure about buying property, but you can call and ask them about it. It's not the school that chooses to conduct things this way. It's the state law that mandates whether a person can come to the state as a student and use time spent while taking classes towards gaining residency.

Best bet, call and ask 🙂 If they aren't sure they will likely refer you to state legislation.

Thanks for the feedback!
 
We were told during our interview date that due to Florida's law once you start as an OOS you will be considered OOS for 4 years. I specifically asked if we would be considered IS for second year and they said NO. I know they mentioned the issue of buying property or getting married to establish residency and i'm pretty sure that those do not grant you IS tuition.

Thanks for the feedback- I know that's the case in other states, but I wasn't sure about Florida's laws. I'll call just to be sure.
 
Just to alleviate people's nerves, I interviewed in the morning on October 1st, and only received a decision yesterday. I spent weeks worrying that something might be wrong but, in the end, it seems that the process REALLY IS random.
 
Just to alleviate people's nerves, I interviewed in the morning on October 1st, and only received a decision yesterday. I spent weeks worrying that something might be wrong but, in the end, it seems that the process REALLY IS random.[

Sunshiner, were you accepted/alternate or fully accepted?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an accepted/alternate...I'm thinking that the class MUST be full because the accepted/alternate letter specifically says "when I have a seat"....Here's to hoping for a TRUE acceptance SOON!!!
 
Last edited:
Has anyone else gotten placed into the Final Pool?

There are a lot of Accepted/Wait-list posts here. I just received a "you will be re-reviewed after placement in the final pool". Better than a rejection, but any idea on what to think of this?
 
Has anyone else gotten placed into the Final Pool?

There are a lot of Accepted/Wait-list posts here. I just received a "you will be re-reviewed after placement in the final pool". Better than a rejection, but any idea on what to think of this?

The final pool is like the regular waitlist in other schools. There is still a chance. Last year people got out of it. Check the 2009-2010 FIU application thread. Good luck!!
 
I am an accepted/alternate...I'm thinking that the class MUST be full because the accepted/alternate letter specifically says "when I have a seat"....Here's to hoping for a TRUE acceptance SOON!!!

Congrats Sunshiner!! Hope we all hear good news soon! Good luck!!
 
Is FIU interviewing next year: Jan - March? or is the class filled already? I submitted my secondary August 30th and haven't heard anything yet.
 
I am an accepted/alternate...I'm thinking that the class MUST be full because the accepted/alternate letter specifically says "when I have a seat"....Here's to hoping for a TRUE acceptance SOON!!!

Hey Sunshiner - I graduated from FIU for my undergrad and I am now accepted into med. school. You will love it there, it is a great school. I just really hope that they call me as well because I am interested in what they have to offer in their new medical school. Who interviewed you there?
 
Happy New Year everybody!! This new year means a lot to all of us because it hopefully will mark the beginning of our journey to becoming physicians. I wish you all the best and that everybody gets an acceptance!!Happy 2011!!! 😀
 
does anyone know when that accepted/alternate list gets movin? or is it just randomly throughout the cycle?
 
After the May 15 deadline is when the majority of movement will take place, anything before that is just icing on the cake!
 
does anyone know when that accepted/alternate list gets movin? or is it just randomly throughout the cycle?

The wait list can move at any time however most of the movement does occur in March or April after everyone gets all their acceptances. Even though we have until May 15th, it's a constant move. So I really plead for anyone who is holding a seat and is not seriously considering FIU to withdraw as soon as they can so those of us waiting can have a chance!😍
 
I thought I'd shed some light on FIU's process, in case someone else hasn't already...I don't go to FIU but I applied last year. I got interviewed early (september) and was put on their "hold" list. Note: that means I wasn't even on their "alternate-accepted" list. Then, around February I got bumped up to their "alternate accepted" list. This was the e-mail I got:

.The Committee on Admissions has voted to re-classify your application and your status has been formally updated. I am pleased to inform you that you have been “Accepted” to the FIU Wertheim College of Medicine, Class of 2014. However, due to our limited space, you have been placed on the alternate list. As I mentioned when you came for your interview, the alternate list goes very quickly and many of our current students were on that list last year. .

Then, sometime in March - I got invited to their "second-look" date. This "second-look" was separate for people who were holding actual acceptances in hand. The one I went to was specifically for people on the "alternate accept" list. Then, later in the month, I got formally accepted, meaning they had an actual seat for me, and were ready to take my deposit.

My point is, it is possible to go from being on post-interview hold, to going to alternate-accept, and finally to accept. I updated them regularly, and went to the second-look. That stuff probably helped.

I think if you are currently on the alternate-accept list, you are in extremely good position. Considering I only got onto that list in February and got an actual acceptance around a month later, it must be pretty good to be on that list right around now. Plus, there are a lot more spots this year. When I applied last year, they only had 43 spots.

good luck to you all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought I'd shed some light on FIU's process, in case someone else hasn't already...I don't go to FIU but I applied last year. I got interviewed early (september) and was put on their "hold" list. Note: that means I wasn't even on their "alternate-accepted" list. Then, around February I got bumped up to their "alternate accepted" list. This was the e-mail I got:

.The Committee on Admissions has voted to re-classify your application and your status has been formally updated. I am pleased to inform you that you have been “Accepted” to the FIU Wertheim College of Medicine, Class of 2014. However, due to our limited space, you have been placed on the alternate list. As I mentioned when you came for your interview, the alternate list goes very quickly and many of our current students were on that list last year. .

Then, sometime in March - I got invited to their "second-look" date. This "second-look" was separate for people who were holding actual acceptances in hand. The one I went to was specifically for people on the "alternate accept" list. Then, later in the month, I got formally accepted, meaning they had an actual seat for me, and were ready to take my deposit.

My point is, it is possible to go from being on post-interview hold, to going to alternate-accept, and finally to accept. I updated them regularly, and went to the second-look. That stuff probably helped.

I think if you are currently on the alternate-accept list, you are in extremely good position. Considering I only got onto that list in February and got an actual acceptance around a month later, it must be pretty good to be on that list right around now. Plus, there are a lot more spots this year. When I applied last year, they only had 43 spots.

good luck to you all.

Hi Food, I went through last year's FIU application thread and read all your posts and how you went from not knowing what was going on with your application to being final pooled, then alternate and finally accepted. I'am currently in the alternate list and it gave me hope to see that you made it at the end.Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Do you mind me asking where did you finally end up going?
 
Hi Food, I went through last year's FIU application thread and read all your posts and how you went from not knowing what was going on with your application to being final pooled, then alternate and finally accepted. I'am currently in the alternate list and it gave me hope to see that you made it at the end.Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Do you mind me asking where did you finally end up going?

Oh man "final pool" was the word I was trying to remember when writing the post above. And to answer your question, I ended up at UF COM. It was extremely hard for me to choose because I had already been in Gainesville for 5 years, and I was looking to move on. Miami would have been a great opportunity, but I got worried that I might have too much fun there and get distracted from the whole medical school business. And FIU's entire system, including their interviews and second-look were top notch - their admissions process is one of the few that's actually student-friendly. You could probably get on the phone with one of the higher ups in admissions, easily (at least, I managed to, back in 2009).
 
Oh man "final pool" was the word I was trying to remember when writing the post above. And to answer your question, I ended up at UF COM. It was extremely hard for me to choose because I had already been in Gainesville for 5 years, and I was looking to move on. Miami would have been a great opportunity, but I got worried that I might have too much fun there and get distracted from the whole medical school business. And FIU's entire system, including their interviews and second-look were top notch - their admissions process is one of the few that's actually student-friendly. You could probably get on the phone with one of the higher ups in admissions, easily (at least, I managed to, back in 2009).

Good for you man! UF COM is a great school too! Yeah, I know what you mean...I have been to Gainesville and compared to Miami you have wayyy less distractions. I agree with you, FIU admissions dept. has been very helpful and reachable through this process. Good luck on your first year MS1!!
 
In case anyone is interested, NPR did a story last week on FIU--

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/05/131700669/new-medical-school-model-adopt-a-family-to-treat

It's stuff that all of you probably know already from applying/interviewing/etc... but a nice resource to hand out to family and friends who are interested in the school!

Also- does anyone know when FIU began giving out scholarship or financial aid information last year?

I don't know about last year, but the thread 2 years ago involved someone getting news about a scholarship in February. Yes, yes...I'm THAT dorky. I not only read last year's thread, but the one for the original entering class as well. 🙂

Did you send in your scholarship application?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.