2008-2009 USUHS Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "Basic Application Addendum Form" has a bunch of Qs about former military experience, if any, SAT scores, etc, but no essays. The "Personal Statement Form" has the 1 required essay.

The prompt (bolding and underlining is USUHS's) is:

*PERSONAL STATEMENT:* Be thoughtful and thorough; the Admissions Committee takes great interest in your statement.

*FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:* This form is _primarily_ intended as your instrument to tell the Committee in Admissions about _your specific interest in USUHS for your medical education and to explain your motivation for military medicine_ and something about your experience or familiarity with the military services. In addition, you may expand your AMCAS statement and tell us whatever you would like the Committee to know about you. Be creative and concise in your comments. Please type *double-spaced* and do not exceed the space provided. If you are unable to type directly on the form, feel free to print on a separate sheet and paste (physically) in the space provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Premed Worrier - Shemarty is just an over-achieving genius who has done amazing work for the 2008-2009 class... she started the 2008-2009 secondary application thread. She asked for people to PM her the info for all apps, but she is not necessarily applying to most of those... I noticed that USUHS did not yet have a thread on the main secondary thread, and so I PMd her the info. I received my application from USUHS at the end of June, asked for an extension (so many secondaries and a crazy full-time job), and just submitted at the end of July. I wanted to see who else was applying! Also - feel free to ask me any Qs about USUHS... I work there and know a decent amount about the school.

Good luck with your applications!

I asked for an extension, and was granted one. Now it has been about 3 weeks past the extension and I still have not sent in my secondary. Now having finished all of my other secondarys, from schools that are higher priority to me, what do you think about sending in the USUHS secondary 3 weeks late? Is it a waste of time since I am so late? There is no secondary fee so I would not be loosing any money, but will being past the deadline be an automatic rejection.

Hey Premed Worrier - Shemarty is just an over-achieving genius who has done amazing work for the 2008-2009 class... she started the 2008-2009 secondary application thread. She asked for people to PM her the info for all apps, but she is not necessarily applying to most of those... I noticed that USUHS did not yet have a thread on the main secondary thread, and so I PMd her the info. I received my application from USUHS at the end of June, asked for an extension (so many secondaries and a crazy full-time job), and just submitted at the end of July. I wanted to see who else was applying! Also - feel free to ask me any Qs about USUHS... I work there and know a decent amount about the school.

Good luck with your applications!

Thank you very much. I do have some questions. I was in the military previously, and is a major reason why I am applying to USUHS.

Anyway, are the facilities there up to date? It seems with the military it is one extreme or the other. Everything is either cutting edge, or ancient, what about USUHS?

Also, if you know, how does the residency match work there? Do you compete with all med. school graduates for normal residencies? Or are you just put wherever that branch needs you? The reason I ask is that I would like to think that I want some options when the time comes.

Thanks ahead of time for your help, and good luck to you as well. Where else are you applying?

I read on the millitary medicine threads that some people are already interviewing there. I've been complete for about a week now, save my clinical letter. He's been doing a great job in NOT writing that letter.

Thank you very much. I do have some questions. I was in the military previously, and is a major reason why I am applying to USUHS.

Anyway, are the facilities there up to date? It seems with the military it is one extreme or the other. Everything is either cutting edge, or ancient, what about USUHS?

Also, if you know, how does the residency match work there? Do you compete with all med. school graduates for normal residencies? Or are you just put wherever that branch needs you? The reason I ask is that I would like to think that I want some options when the time comes.

Thanks ahead of time for your help, and good luck to you as well. Where else are you applying?

Hey Premed Worrier - I'm so sorry that I haven't responded more quickly! I have only posted a few times here and no one ever replies - so this was a surprise!

To answer your questions – I think it is great that you were previously in the military… that isn’t theoretically part of the admissions decision, but it can definitely give your explanation of why you would like to enter military medicine more weight. The fact that you have an understanding of what life in the military is like will be a plus to the adcom, as about I would say approximately ½ of the dis-enrolled students do so because they are no longer sure that the military is a good fit for them.

Before I dive into this… there are many considerations one would need to make before committing to USUHS for their medical education – but once you decide you are OK with wearing a uniform and all that comes with it, this school is one of the most supportive and prestigious places to earn your MD… I’ve been impressed with the real unity of this community.

OK – I wrote a book or two on this (have worked here a while and so could go on all day – I’m PMing you!

I’m applying to about 20 schools… from DC to MA then across to Chicago… following family and those that might take my stats! How about you?

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other Qs

Hey Premed Worrier - I'm so sorry that I haven't responded more quickly! I have only posted a few times here and no one ever replies - so this was a surprise!

To answer your questions – I think it is great that you were previously in the military… that isn’t theoretically part of the admissions decision, but it can definitely give your explanation of why you would like to enter military medicine more weight. The fact that you have an understanding of what life in the military is like will be a plus to the adcom, as about I would say approximately ½ of the dis-enrolled students do so because they are no longer sure that the military is a good fit for them.

Before I dive into this… there are many considerations one would need to make before committing to USUHS for their medical education – but once you decide you are OK with wearing a uniform and all that comes with it, this school is one of the most supportive and prestigious places to earn your MD… I’ve been impressed with the real unity of this community.

OK – I wrote a book or two on this (have worked here a while and so could go on all day – I’m PMing you!

I’m applying to about 20 schools… from DC to MA then across to Chicago… following family and those that might take my stats! How about you?

I am interviewing here on the 25th, so any extra info you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have never served in the military, but my father was a marine. I was thinking that if I was accepted, I'd choose the Air Force as the branch. I am okay with moving. I love my country. I love hierarchal systems, and want to become a leader. Plus, the price of school is just right ;).

I have seen that classroom hours are higher at USUHS than many other schools. That won't be too much of a problem, but I want time to be able to volunteer at clinics or workout or play IM sports. Any input you might have would awesome. Thank you!

Thanks for all the info. It is definitely appreciated. I am applying here, obviously, NC schools, then all around the southeast + a couple in Philly (mostly based on stats, OOS percentages, and where I would actually want to live).

I am interviewing here on the 25th, so any extra info you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have never served in the military, but my father was a marine. I was thinking that if I was accepted, I'd choose the Air Force as the branch. I am okay with moving. I love my country. I love hierarchal systems, and want to become a leader. Plus, the price of school is just right ;).

I have seen that classroom hours are higher at USUHS than many other schools. That won't be too much of a problem, but I want time to be able to volunteer at clinics or workout or play IM sports. Any input you might have would awesome. Thank you!

Hey Davnport - again, sorry so late.
I know that if you get accepted, you rank the military branches in order of your preference - and your preferred branch may or may not have enough billets for you (ex: AF has fewest billets, next Navy, with Army having the most). It makes it a bit harder to get the Air Force, as it is apparently the "life style" branch (I woudn't know - always been a civilian). It sounds like you are fine with being in the military - I would cruise the USUHS or military med forums to get a better idea of the ramifications of an education gained here. I think it is a great school, but I know that there are some considerations for residencies etc. I'm sure people in these two forums would have some good advice.

I do know that USUHS is extremely focused on service, and I imagine would encourage your involvement in service-oriented groups (should your grades not suffer ;)). The summer after your MS1 year you have to do some sort of 6 week officer training camp - but you get the rest of the summer off, and holidays etc off. I also know that they have IM sports, (Inter-branch?) sports, like touch football and softball etc... they have tournaments every so often and it's a nice holiday vibe.

Lastly - I can't tell you too much about the USUHS class-load and hours per day vs. other med schools - but I do know that some classes are optional while others are mandatory (read: unexcused absence = disciplinary action... you are an active duty officer after all, and your profs are higher-ranking officers). That being said, being sick is allowed :rolleyes: and there are excused absences for family emergencies, etc, and the profs aren't unreasonable.

I think that's all I've got for tonight - hope this helped! Good luck at your interview!

does anybody think there is any merit to adding this school this late in the process?

does anybody think there is any merit to adding this school this late in the process?

If you add now and eventually get an interview, you'd be waitlisted for sure (at best). But they take a lot of people off the waitlist each year so I would go for it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes - the waitlist moves not just for people who decided they don't want to go military or chose another school and do HPSP, BUT IT ALSO moves for people who have not been able to be medically qualified or for people who don't pass the security clearance test.

Conclusion - massive waitlist movement

Yes - the waitlist moves not just for people who decided they don't want to go military or chose another school and do HPSP, BUT IT ALSO moves for people who have not been able to be medically qualified or for people who don't pass the security clearance test.

Conclusion - massive waitlist movement

agreed, I would still apply - but that massive movement tends to be more for the ARMY from what I've read/heard. Good luck!

Does anyone know what the lifestyle is at this school? Like to you have to wake up early to do some early morning PT, lack of sleep and stuff like that? Sort of like being a pleb at the naval academy?

From what I understand it's not like the academies. They do seem to get up early, but for class, not PT. They have labs where they do physical stuff (dragging patients, climbing walls, etc) and they have to do the PT test at certain times (I think for AF it was once a year and Navy/Army it was twice, but I could be wrong).

From my interview I got the impression that it was much more laid back than the academies. However, I'm not a student there so you may get better information from someone who is. :oops:

From what I understand it's not like the academies. They do seem to get up early, but for class, not PT. They have labs where they do physical stuff (dragging patients, climbing walls, etc) and they have to do the PT test at certain times (I think for AF it was once a year and Navy/Army it was twice, but I could be wrong).

From my interview I got the impression that it was much more laid back than the academies. However, I'm not a student there so you may get better information from someone who is. :oops:

Also, the lectures are recorded, so many students don't go to class every day.

For those of you that interviewed, what does the physical entail?

Its a DoDMERB physical. Pretty much everything you could think of. They test hearing, vision, turn your head and cough, vital signs, height/weight I etc.

There is a whole USUHS thread over in the Mil Med forum. Check it out.

Hi all!

I am a 4th year student at USUHS about to graduate (woohoo!!) and just wanted to offer my help for any that have any questions.

Also, for those new to the area who will be trying to find housing, there is very little military housing available, and thus you get your BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) to help pay for rent/mortgage. Right now it is like $1600ish if its just you, or about $1900 if you have dependents (wife/kids).

Dont forget one of the pros of coming to USUHS (not the only pro however) is the financial benefit.

If anyone has more questions about renting or buying a house in this buyer's market, just let me know. It's a great time to buy and you can rent out other rooms like I did and give your fellow classmates a deal on rent while you get most/all of your mortgage paid for (like I did).

I bought a house and even with the decrease in sales prices, Im not doing too bad and will still try to sell my house (or rent it). If anyone is interested in a great starter home in a great location (close to USUHS and the two hospitals you will work at- Walter Reed and National Naval MC), just check out the link below. Use my realtor and I'll give you part of the commission that would have gone to your realtor! I wont be able to check this website that often though, so if you are interested just call the numbers on the website.

http://www.spicerrealestate.com/prop_detail.aspx?property_id=272

Thanks!
tantomed

For those of you that interviewed, what does the physical entail?

They check your rectum. No one told me and I'd have appreciated that knowledge.

my physical wasn't quite that invasive, did you do it through Concorde or at a military base?

Status
Not open for further replies.