You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 University of Arizona COM-Phoenix Application Thread
Started by wasabid
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I think this time around it would be good to get two separate threads going, considering that PHX is increasing its class size.
There have been debates in other threads about whether or not UACOM-Phoenix should have its own thread - definitely mixed opinions out there. It seemed that last year there were many students who only applied to one or the other, and yeah, I agree that now that Phoenix is taking 80 (or something) students, it makes sense to have its own. Plus, they really do operate as separate schools with separate curricula and everything. But whatever you applicants want to do - we're flexible.
Anyway, whether there are two threads or not, there are several of us current students who love to waste time reading through SDN and answering any questions, so feel free to ask... though between two threads it may get repetitive... 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how many letters of recommendation Phoenix requests? Thanks!
Just got the email this morning that UA-Phx received my AMCAS! Here's hoping I get a secondary![]()
+1 .. Good luck to all!
Sounds thrilling. How long does it usually take to get AMCAS verified?
It was thrilling, ha. Check out the AMCAS verification thread to give you an idea as to how long it takes. From what I understand, the further you submit your AMCAS away from June 1st, the longer it takes. I got an automated message saying that verification can take up to 6 weeks...
PER THE PHOENIX ADMISSIONS PAGE.
"The Arizona Board of Regents has approved allowing the Phoenix and Tucson campuses of the University of Arizona College of Medicine to admit up to 50 percent out-of-state students.
The adjustment comes as the College of Medicine Phoenix prepares to move into a new building scheduled to be completed in July 2012. That expansion accommodates an increased class size from 48 to 80 per year in Phoenix, pending approval from the LCME.
The College of Medicine Phoenix is the expansion of the long-standing UA College of Medicine in Tucson, which was established in 1967. The College of Medicine Phoenix opened in 2007 and graduated its first cohort of 24 students in May 2011. The campus will have 192 students in the fall of 2011, all in the full, four-year program housed in Phoenix.
The campus is in the midst of expansion with the construction of the 268,000-square foot Health Sciences Education Building. A year into the construction, the building is set to be completed by the summer of 2012, allowing for the increased class size if approved. Plans are to eventually admit up to 120 students per year on the Phoenix campus. The $129 million Health Sciences Education Building will house lecture halls, classrooms, offices, clinical skills suites, a simulation center, labs and other amenities for the College of Medicine. It is also projected to play host to students from the UA colleges of Public Health and Pharmacy as well as a physicians assistant program from Northern Arizona Universitys College of Health and Human Services."
"The Arizona Board of Regents has approved allowing the Phoenix and Tucson campuses of the University of Arizona College of Medicine to admit up to 50 percent out-of-state students.
The adjustment comes as the College of Medicine Phoenix prepares to move into a new building scheduled to be completed in July 2012. That expansion accommodates an increased class size from 48 to 80 per year in Phoenix, pending approval from the LCME.
The College of Medicine Phoenix is the expansion of the long-standing UA College of Medicine in Tucson, which was established in 1967. The College of Medicine Phoenix opened in 2007 and graduated its first cohort of 24 students in May 2011. The campus will have 192 students in the fall of 2011, all in the full, four-year program housed in Phoenix.
The campus is in the midst of expansion with the construction of the 268,000-square foot Health Sciences Education Building. A year into the construction, the building is set to be completed by the summer of 2012, allowing for the increased class size if approved. Plans are to eventually admit up to 120 students per year on the Phoenix campus. The $129 million Health Sciences Education Building will house lecture halls, classrooms, offices, clinical skills suites, a simulation center, labs and other amenities for the College of Medicine. It is also projected to play host to students from the UA colleges of Public Health and Pharmacy as well as a physicians assistant program from Northern Arizona Universitys College of Health and Human Services."
PER THE PHOENIX ADMISSIONS PAGE.
"The Arizona Board of Regents has approved allowing the Phoenix and Tucson campuses of the University of Arizona College of Medicine to admit up to 50 percent out-of-state students.
The adjustment comes as the College of Medicine Phoenix prepares to move into a new building scheduled to be completed in July 2012. That expansion accommodates an increased class size from 48 to 80 per year in Phoenix, pending approval from the LCME.
The College of Medicine Phoenix is the expansion of the long-standing UA College of Medicine in Tucson, which was established in 1967. The College of Medicine Phoenix opened in 2007 and graduated its first cohort of 24 students in May 2011. The campus will have 192 students in the fall of 2011, all in the full, four-year program housed in Phoenix.
The campus is in the midst of expansion with the construction of the 268,000-square foot Health Sciences Education Building. A year into the construction, the building is set to be completed by the summer of 2012, allowing for the increased class size if approved. Plans are to eventually admit up to 120 students per year on the Phoenix campus. The $129 million Health Sciences Education Building will house lecture halls, classrooms, offices, clinical skills suites, a simulation center, labs and other amenities for the College of Medicine. It is also projected to play host to students from the UA colleges of Public Health and Pharmacy as well as a physicians assistant program from Northern Arizona Universitys College of Health and Human Services."
That's huge. Thanks for the info.
I'm not applying to Arizona, but these changes seem pretty exciting (for everyone not from AZ, of course). Do you think the additional OOS matriculants and new building will boost Arizona's reputation?
I think the results of the first graduating class and new building is making Phoenix stronger, along with the relative "no waitlist movement". I was accepted there and chose to go out of state (AZ res) for pure family reasons, otherwise I would be coming in July and not regretting my decision!
Good luck to you all this year. Phoenix does a really great job at making you feel welcomed and valued in the application process. It is a really hard process though, so get ready for a lot of ups and downs. My advice: if you like a place, keep in touch and engaged with the school. Don't be obnoxious and call 20x/day, but follow up after your interview and let them know why you like the program (be genuine about it).
As an AZ resident I am not very thrilled with this. The state's budget is in horrible shape, so the school will want to admit as many OOS students as possible since they'll pay higher tuition. This just cut the number of seats I am competing for, essentially. I was not particularly a fan of the AZ board of regents from my undergrad days due to the ridiculous tuition hikes every year so I guess this should not surprise me at all.
I assume this applies for the class entering 2012?
I am also an AZ resident, but I don't see this changing our chances. Look at it this way: 25% of 48 =12 to nonresident, 36 to res. 50% of 80 is a 40 seat split. We are actually gaining residents when the class increases to 80.
I am also an AZ resident, but I don't see this changing our chances. Look at it this way: 25% of 48 =12 to nonresident, 36 to res. 50% of 80 is a 40 seat split. We are actually gaining residents when the class increases to 80.
Actually we lose seats even with the jump in phx seats.....
75%*163=122 res seats
50%*195=98 res seats
Because Tucson is not increasing seat this change will in fact hurt us. I do think that this incoming class of 2016 our current applicant cycle will be affected too much. They may accept more than 25% but because this news is coming out so late, the actual number of OOS applying will not be drastically higher than last year and the caliber of OOS will still be limited because we are a fairly average "RANKED" school and PHX is still very new. I think the new 80 class size begins for this cycle assuming they can get there accreditation stuff in check so this, I assume, would be the "GOLDEN AGE" of instate applications because more seats and the whole OOS thing isn't in the MSAR.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an AZ resident I am not very thrilled with this. The state's budget is in horrible shape, so the school will want to admit as many OOS students as possible since they'll pay higher tuition. This just cut the number of seats I am competing for, essentially. I was not particularly a fan of the AZ board of regents from my undergrad days due to the ridiculous tuition hikes every year so I guess this should not surprise me at all.
I assume this applies for the class entering 2012?
Same. What a load of ****. My siblings already pay over 150% of what I paid for IS tuition and now we get our in-state seats cut. Super. 🙄
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
Just ridiculous. We have one MD school (I count both campuses as one school lol), and they're letting up to 50% of the class be OOSers? How many people move to AZ from another state and say to themselves "Wow, AZ is amazing, I'm going to stay and practice here." Not many haha. AZ just doesn't have enough medical schools to do this IMO. It just doesn't make sense, they need to be training doctors who will stay in AZ, and not many OOSers will...
actually given the state of cali (economic wise) its a good idea cuz many people arent happy in cali and wouldnt mind moving to arizona and im sure the board of regents realize that they can pull people away from cali imo at least thats my thought processJust ridiculous. We have one MD school (I count both campuses as one school lol), and they're letting up to 50% of the class be OOSers? How many people move to AZ from another state and say to themselves "Wow, AZ is amazing, I'm going to stay and practice here." Not many haha. AZ just doesn't have enough medical schools to do this IMO. It just doesn't make sense, they need to be training doctors who will stay in AZ, and not many OOSers will...
I'm sure that both campuses had a ton of quality OOS applicants and could have admitted more, if the board of regents had allowed it. So I think it is quite possible that next year close to 50% of the class will be OOS. We'll just have to wait and see.
OOS'ers are held to a higher standard at UACOM. One professor on the admissions committee in the Tucson COM told me that the schools did not approach 25% OOS applicants (in terms of those who were reasonably qualified to compete for a seat).
I see that several people received secondaries for Tucson- has anyone received one for Phoenix yet?
I see that several people received secondaries for Tucson- has anyone received one for Phoenix yet?
not yet
The only email I've received so far is them telling me they received my AMCAS on the day it was verified.
The only email I've received so far is them telling me they received my AMCAS on the day it was verified.
Ya ages ago
I see that several people received secondaries for Tucson- has anyone received one for Phoenix yet?
Got my secondary for Tucson, but nothing yet for Phoenix.
Got my secondary for Tucson, but nothing yet for Phoenix.
Me too! Are you as excited as me to start writing all five of those essays??? Some questions I wish they'd just ask us in the interview.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you all send you primary to Phoenix AND Tuscon? I'm working on the Tuscon secondary right now and am wondering if I should add Phoenix on the AMCAS site. Is one more OOS friendly?
Thanks. Good luck to all! 😀
Thanks. Good luck to all! 😀
Did you all send you primary to Phoenix AND Tuscon? I'm working on the Tuscon secondary right now and am wondering if I should add Phoenix on the AMCAS site. Is one more OOS friendly?
Thanks. Good luck to all! 😀
I just did Phoenix because I have family there. If I'm not mistaken, Phoenix is more OOS friendly, but I'm really not sure.
Technically no. The reason why Phoenix could end up with more OOS (I think they did last year, but I might be mistaken) is because the OOS cap is for the combined seats between Tucson and Phoenix. They are the same as far as OOS friendliness is concerned, but by chance one campus could end up with more and the other campus has to take less to compensate.
I don't know how they actually accomplish this in practice, though.
I don't know how they actually accomplish this in practice, though.
Just wanted to drop in to throw my hat into the ring. I'm anxiously awaiting secondaries as well. Good luck to you all!!
😀
😀
Got the secondary today. Really excited--one of my top choices!! It's pretty beefy. All the essays are 350 word maximums.
1. The College of Medicine-Phoenix Admissions Committee has learned much about you through the information provided on AMCAS. Now you have the chance to tell us why you chose to apply to our program. Why do you believe you are a good fit for the College of Medicine-Phoenix?
2. Describe some aspect of your life within the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine.
3.The College of Medicine-Phoenix is committed to a dynamic, collaborative, safe learning environment that appreciates the diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds of all students. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as quality of your primary (K-12) education environment, socio-economic status, culture (i.e. tradition, language), race, ethnicity, and life and work experience.
4. Given your path to medicine, how do you plan to contribute to the Phoenix community
5. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you?
1. The College of Medicine-Phoenix Admissions Committee has learned much about you through the information provided on AMCAS. Now you have the chance to tell us why you chose to apply to our program. Why do you believe you are a good fit for the College of Medicine-Phoenix?
2. Describe some aspect of your life within the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine.
3.The College of Medicine-Phoenix is committed to a dynamic, collaborative, safe learning environment that appreciates the diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds of all students. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as quality of your primary (K-12) education environment, socio-economic status, culture (i.e. tradition, language), race, ethnicity, and life and work experience.
4. Given your path to medicine, how do you plan to contribute to the Phoenix community
5. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you?
No secondary on my end and I'm an in-state resident 🙁 Hopefully it's coming in batches.
anyone heard updates on the new building and when it is supposed to be completed?
I believe it's definitely still set to be open in the fall of 2012, when the class of 2016 begins. In the June 2011 construction update, they said they are aiming to have power in the building by this coming September 1st. 🙂
Got the secondary today. Really excited--one of my top choices!! It's pretty beefy. All the essays are 350 word maximums.
1. The College of Medicine-Phoenix Admissions Committee has learned much about you through the information provided on AMCAS. Now you have the chance to tell us why you chose to apply to our program. Why do you believe you are a good fit for the College of Medicine-Phoenix?
2. Describe some aspect of your life within the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine.
3.The College of Medicine-Phoenix is committed to a dynamic, collaborative, safe learning environment that appreciates the diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds of all students. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as quality of your primary (K-12) education environment, socio-economic status, culture (i.e. tradition, language), race, ethnicity, and life and work experience.
4. Given your path to medicine, how do you plan to contribute to the Phoenix community
5. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you?
Glad to see U of A has gotten even more discriminatory toward hard working individuals who have the misfortune of being white and middle class. 3 is the most racist, classist way that I have seen the diversity question asked.
Glad to see U of A has gotten even more discriminatory toward hard working individuals who have the misfortune of being white and middle class. 3 is the most racist, classist way that I have seen the diversity question asked.
Personally, as a white and middle-class guy, I don't want to go to a medical school composed entirely of white and middle-class. If that's racist or classist, then I guess I'm those things.
Without even looking at the data, I can pretty safely say that Phoenix's classes are still a majority white and middle-class. I don't think you need to worry.
No secondary here either... then again I am instate as well. 🙄
Glad to have the questions though! Time to start writing...
Glad to have the questions though! Time to start writing...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Samesies ^
Personally, as a white and middle-class guy, I don't want to go to a medical school composed entirely of white and middle-class. If that's racist or classist, then I guess I'm those things.
Without even looking at the data, I can pretty safely say that Phoenix's classes are still a majority white and middle-class. I don't think you need to worry.
No, I'm totally with you. I want a diverse med school class just as much as the next guy honestly. That's not what I was getting at. I just meant the way that question 3 is worded on the secondary. Theres just no way to answer it if you've lived a typical white, middle-class life. I just think the prompt is discriminatory towards average white guys like me.
No, I'm totally with you. I want a diverse med school class just as much as the next guy honestly. That's not what I was getting at. I just meant the way that question 3 is worded on the secondary. Theres just no way to answer it if you've lived a typical white, middle-class life. I just think the prompt is discriminatory towards average white guys like me.
I completely agree. I embody the opposite of diversity, yet I've worked to develop skills needed to work extremely well with people from diverse backgrounds, but there is no way to answer the question with experiences of working with "diversity". Hence, I am no longer applying to this school. Good luck everyone.
Go figure that UA-PHX is more into "diversity" than the school 50 miles north of Mexico.
Edit: What's the character limit on these? 350 words like Tucson?
Ya, 350.
Sorry to hear that Tulo, I'm still gonna try. I think I'll just use my generic diversity essay. I know for a fact that we can't be the only ones who are the exact opposite of diversity. I know two people just as non-diverse as me who got in there when they first started. I dunno the stats for what races they accept, but this essay question might be a way to get their URM numbers up. I'm not sure what the questions were in past years, but the wording of this question is very bizarre. No other med school is so specific like this. Most other schools ask how our skills, experiences etc will contribute to the diversity. They leave it open ended, so that people with different races can talk about that, and so that white people can highlight other ways that they are diverse. UA pretty much says they don't care about the ways that white people are diverse.
The fact that they ask this question makes me wonder if I would even like the school. Such blatant reverse-racism does not sit well with me, and being in an environment so full of it might drive me nuts. Oh well, gotta have a safety school.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
