2012-2013 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Yes No (If yes, given 1000 characters to write)

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying!

I was accepted last cycle, will most likely be attending, and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Good luck to everyone applying!

I was accepted last cycle, will most likely be attending, and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

What's the campus like? What do you like the most about Tufts? And the least?

Members don't see this ad :)
The campus is in the city next to Chinatown. Most people live off campus within a 20 minute walk/subway ride, although there is a small amount of on campus housing. The area is pretty safe overall, although like any city care must be taken. Since Boston is fairly small you are in walking distance of most of downtown, including major train stations. The main building is very new and very nice with lots of study areas and rooms for group work, as well as new anatomy labs (I think).

My favorite things about the school are the new facilities, large hospital with diverse population, and the generally strong reputation in the community along with a strong match list for the past few years.

My least favorite thing is the cost. Tufts is one of the most expensive med schools in the country, and this was what made me consider other schools. Ultimately I felt that I would rather maximize my chances of a strong residency and career through Tufts, than go to a less expensive school and risk being forever dissapointed of not giving myself the best leanring experience possible.

Chir0nex,

What is your stats if I may ask?

3.61 GPA, 3.51 sGPA, 33 MCAT. Also had year long research internship at a local Hospital and leadership experience in multiple student organizations. Also, I went to Tufts for undergraduate which certainly helps as far as getting an interview in the first place.

Thanks chir0nex.
Have you been accepted from other medical schools?

Thanks chir0nex.
Have you been accepted from other medical schools?

UVM and NYMC. I am currently deciding between Tufts and UVM as well as waiting on a few wiatlists.

Chir0x, I hope this isn't asking too much, but are you URM? I have similar GPA/MCAT to yours and I was thinking to not apply to Tufts since I didn't think I would have a good shot my numbers.

I am URM, but I don't know how much it matters. I know people from Tufts UG who are URM and did not get an interview with similar stats. I won't pretend to know exactly how much stats matter, but I don't thinks stats like mine are enough to disqualify you. In general I think it matters a lot more to have something in your application that stands out a grabs attention, whether GPA MCAT or ECs. I spent A LOT of time refining all the essays I wrote, and getting LORs from people I knew could write a really good one.

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

I'd love to go here but it's SO expensive! :scared:

The campus is in the city next to Chinatown. Most people live off campus within a 20 minute walk/subway ride, although there is a small amount of on campus housing. The area is pretty safe overall, although like any city care must be taken. Since Boston is fairly small you are in walking distance of most of downtown, including major train stations. The main building is very new and very nice with lots of study areas and rooms for group work, as well as new anatomy labs (I think).

My favorite things about the school are the new facilities, large hospital with diverse population, and the generally strong reputation in the community along with a strong match list for the past few years.

My least favorite thing is the cost. Tufts is one of the most expensive med schools in the country, and this was what made me consider other schools. Ultimately I felt that I would rather maximize my chances of a strong residency and career through Tufts, than go to a less expensive school and risk being forever dissapointed of not giving myself the best leanring experience possible.

Thank you for this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you've just been accepted, but I was wondering if you or anyone else knew how much time is spent in class? Is it lectures all day, or just in the morning, with some/most afternoons off? Are lectures recorded? How far away are the hospitals for the clerkships?

thanks!

I know you've just been accepted, but I was wondering if you or anyone else knew how much time is spent in class? Is it lectures all day, or just in the morning, with some/most afternoons off? Are lectures recorded? How far away are the hospitals for the clerkships?

thanks!

This is what I have heard from current students, but I have no first hand experience. Each day is a mix of lecture, group problems, lab, and other assorted things. It usually works out to between 3 and 8 hours of scheduled stuff depedning on the day (With anatomy lab taking a long time). However, for the class room lectures everything is recorded. As a result only about 1/3 of the class attends lecture (if not less) and most people watch it on their computer at 2x speed.

Clerkships can be all over the greater Boston area, up to 1-2 hours commute from downtown. For most of the furthest places the school does offer some housing, so you won't have to be driving 4 hours a day. Clerkship assignments are based on a lottery, but given the concentration of hospitals in Boston, and the relative nearness of the many community hospitals to the city the commutes are not too bad.

I'd love to go here but it's SO expensive! :scared:

I hear you. It is a tough decision to make. However, if you really like it and you have the stats I would say go for it. The entire application process is a crapshoot, and while you shouldn't go over board applying everywhere, it is important that you have plenty of schools that you would be happy to get into on the list. Plus, if you can demonstrate need it is pretty likely that will receive some kind of aid.

Ultimately the way I rationalize the cost is that Tufts gives me a really good chance at being competitive for a strong residency. As long as I have a good match I will be able to pursue a specialty that leaves me happy with my career. If that career is in primary care there are many programs to help forgive loans, and if it is in a more niche field I can probably command a higher salary and pay off the loans anyway. To me, the worst case scenario is failing to achieve the residency that I want, and being shunted into something that leaves me unhappy and unmotivated for the rest of my career. I would rather be happy and in debt for longer.

I'll be applying here this cycle! Will be submitting my application later today. :)

Hi everybody! I just started my fourth year at Tufts. If you have any questions about Tufts, the curriculum, or rotations be sure to post or send me a PM. Good luck with your applications!

did anyone else get the email that they will be sending out secondaries on july 23? wonder why it will take so long...

did anyone else get the email that they will be sending out secondaries on july 23? wonder why it will take so long...

Just got this email as well. Don't know why it's taking so long but hopefully we'll have a lot of practice under our belts filling out these secondaries by then :)

same here.... also unverified

I was so happy when I got that e-mail. I already feel like I'm starting to drown in secondaries.

I was so happy when I got that e-mail. I already feel like I'm starting to drown in secondaries.

Me too.....

drowning.jpg

Anyone want to update the thread with the secondary? Thanks :)

We should be getting the secondary today...:xf:

anyone get the secondary yet? been waiting since early july

They said secondary coming out this week.

Still no secondary :( C'mon Tufts! Take my money!

So this week has come and gone haha, anyone know if they started sending out secondaries yet?

Still nothing here...has anybody talked to admissions?

It's here.

EDIT: False alarm! See below.

Last edited:
I received one at 12:42AM. Verified 6/5 if that helps. They're probably rolling out very soon!

You already got one?

I was verified on 6/11 and I just got this email from them about an hour ago:

Thank you for your application to Tufts University School of Medicine. We are sending you an update to the status of our Secondary Application website. We have redesigned our application and will be opening a new website for the 2012 - 2013 application cycle. Invitations to our Secondary website should be sent by the end of next week (August 10th) at the latest.

Please note that Tufts only sends Secondary invitations to applicants whose AMCAS Application has already been verified. You can check you verified status on AMCAS.

We appreciate your interest in Tufts and look forward to receiving your application material.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
Tufts University School of Medicine

You already got one?

I was verified on 6/11 and I just got this email from them about an hour ago:

Thank you for your application to Tufts University School of Medicine. We are sending you an update to the status of our Secondary Application website. We have redesigned our application and will be opening a new website for the 2012 - 2013 application cycle. Invitations to our Secondary website should be sent by the end of next week (August 10th) at the latest.

Please note that Tufts only sends Secondary invitations to applicants whose AMCAS Application has already been verified. You can check you verified status on AMCAS.

We appreciate your interest in Tufts and look forward to receiving your application material.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
Tufts University School of Medicine

Wow. I must be pretty sleep deprived to misconstrue that as the secondary! My apologies! It's the same e-mail. Hehe.

Wow. I must be pretty sleep deprived to misconstrue that as the secondary! My apologies! It's the same e-mail. Hehe.

hahaha, no worries, we've all been there. So the wait continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.