Florida c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emiloo4

UF CVM 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this one :hello:

Class of 2016er here so feel free to PM me or ask questions!!!
I really can't bring myself to say Go G***** yet :barf:so.... GO APPLICANTS! :claps:

Members don't see this ad.

First time IS applicant here. Gainesville born and raised. No problem saying GO GATORS!

Another 2016er here....PM me if you have any questions about the application, why I chose Florida, or anything else!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Em, I know you'd mentioned being a Nole before.... so I couldn't resist. :) Hopefully next football season is a good one so you can really appreciate being a Gator.

It's been much better football being a Seminole the past few years actually ;)

For UF's supplemental "diversity" essay... what kinds of things do we need to focus on? Should I try not to reiterate things from my PS, or tie everything together? I don't want it to sound too corny or redundant...

First time OOS here! Haven't seen the essay yet. But Florida :love:

For UF's supplemental "diversity" essay... what kinds of things do we need to focus on? Should I try not to reiterate things from my PS, or tie everything together? I don't want it to sound too corny or redundant...

Aaaaaah I just got way too excited when I saw this thread bumped :D

I spoke of my diversity in my PS, but not extensively, so I felt fine using the same thing again. I was worried about the same thing at first, but hopefully there are several aspects of your diversity that you can speak about. The subject may be redundant, but the essay doesn't have to be. Do you talk about the diversity a lot in your PS or just mention it?
I used my PS to state my diversity, and focused the UF essay more on why this diversity would contribute to the class. Hope that helps :shrug:
My diversity was a rather controversial thing so I had more reason to explain it :cool:.

I'm seriously contemplating being a 1st time OOSer.......
tumblr_lpc3irD2MT1qb6qc0.gif

Erm...where is this essay? I dont see it on the supplemental or does it prompt you after you pay application fee? Im confused and feeling silly! :confused::idea::confused::idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Erm...where is this essay? I dont see it on the supplemental or does it prompt you after you pay application fee? Im confused and feeling silly! :confused::idea::confused::idea:

If I remember correctly, you fill out some stuff, pay the fee and THEN you get an essay and two other things. I didn't even know there was an essay until after I paid and thought I was all done and I was all pouty :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, you fill out some stuff, pay the fee and THEN you get an essay and two other things. I didn't even know there was an essay until after I paid and thought I was all done and I was all pouty :rolleyes:

Thanks, I was epically confused and just convinced I was losing my mind....wouldnt suprise me though at this point :D

It's part of the professional application. Once you finish the residency info, etc, then it prompts you to send in the 3 supplementals: pre-req course checklist, and a general application summary. A lot of repetition of stuff they already have. :p

I'm thinking about applying here, I don't know a whole lot about the school but became interested after I had a really incredible Professor that got her undergrad degree at the school and suggested that I apply to the vet school (she ended up going on to get a PhD in crocodile skull morphology, how cool is that! :D)

I'm especially interested in schools that have some kind of exotics program (pets, zoo, or wildlife) and I stumbled upon Florida's Aquatic Animal Health program: http://aquatic.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-us/

The school's website has a page about the program but I was wondering if anyone knows how involved veterinary students can be in the program without making it their concentration. For example, I go to U of I and we have a wildlife clinic that any veterinary student can volunteer in... does the same kind of system exist at Florida?

Thanks so much!

I'm thinking about applying here, I don't know a whole lot about the school but became interested after I had a really incredible Professor that got her undergrad degree at the school and suggested that I apply to the vet school (she ended up going on to get a PhD in crocodile skull morphology, how cool is that! :D)

I'm especially interested in schools that have some kind of exotics program (pets, zoo, or wildlife) and I stumbled upon Florida's Aquatic Animal Health program: http://aquatic.vetmed.ufl.edu/about-us/

The school's website has a page about the program but I was wondering if anyone knows how involved veterinary students can be in the program without making it their concentration. For example, I go to U of I and we have a wildlife clinic that any veterinary student can volunteer in... does the same kind of system exist at Florida?

Thanks so much!

They also have some awesome clinical clerkships for third and fourth years! You can find the curriculum here: http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/curriculum/. I'm applying to Florida for the wildlife aspect too! :) And I do love WMC :love:

UI, Florida has a really cool Zoo Med program. Although I'm not sure exactly what's available beyond elective clinics rotations, if it's run similarly to the other departments (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) then you should have lots of opportunities to get involved. There's also a wildlife clinic in Gainesville (not part of UF) were you could volunteer.

I'm here as an undergrad (and '17 applicant), but I think UF is awesome. :D If you have any questions about Gainesville or the area, feel free to ask.

Thanks you guys, all of that info is super helpful :) ! And Bracco Pointer, I may take you up on that offer if I think of other questions

They also have some awesome clinical clerkships for third and fourth years! You can find the curriculum here: http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/curriculum/. I'm applying to Florida for the wildlife aspect too! :) And I do love WMC :love:

U of I does some stuff with zoo animals too. I know that sometimes they do dental on tigers and lions from the Exotic Feline Rescue Center in Indiana.

A board certified avian veterinarian works as a professor there too so if anyone likes birds there is someone to talk to there.

And I love the Wildlife Medical Clinic :love: if you are thinking about applying to Illinois it is a great clinic to get involved in.

I'm thinking about applying to Florida. :D Have not decided for sure yet, but any insight would help. If anyone that was accepted OOS last year (or anyone else who thinks they can help) wants to help me determine if it's worth applying, send me a message!

I'm thinking about applying to Florida. :D Have not decided for sure yet, but any insight would help. If anyone that was accepted OOS last year (or anyone else who thinks they can help) wants to help me determine if it's worth applying, send me a message!

Did you view the stats online? http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/admission-statistics-by-class/

I think the numbers for out of state are better than other schools...Last year 78 people from the 477 applicant pool were invited for interviews and then 35 of those candidates were invited. Its still OOS numbers but its certainly better than other schools, (i.e. wisconsin that has like 700 and some OOS applicants for 20 spots with no interview!) I am OOS for Florida but feel good about applying there :D:):D

Apply apply! Tell your friends! Come one, come all!

Anyone else having a hard time with the supplemental info stuff? I don't want to submit mine yet because I don't have a clue what I'll be doing for the next year just yet. I don't want to leave half of the activities empty. :(

Anyone else having a hard time with the supplemental info stuff? I don't want to submit mine yet because I don't have a clue what I'll be doing for the next year just yet. I don't want to leave half of the activities empty. :(

Just leave it empty until you know. :shrug: You've got time guys!

Thanks so much!

You can volunteer in zoomed, they have a thing where you have the same shift like every week and they really need the help so it's a commitment. They also do some trips to zoos, parks, etc and it's usually first come first served with people who are club members getting priority. It definitely pays to be involved.

The aquatic animal certificate program is just a way to get more experience in a field. They offer several programs and you can do as few as none and as many as you think you can actually complete prior to graduation. Having the certificate might make you more competitive as an applicant for wildlife jobs post-grad but I really don't know. Wildlife and marine mammal medicine is so hard to get a job in.

I think it's definitely worth applying. The class size will probably be increasing again and it will almost certainly just be more OOS seats. This past application cycle they went from 12 OOS spots to 24. That's a 100% increase! Anyway, like I said...I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion!

Did you view the stats online? http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/admission-statistics-by-class/

I think the numbers for out of state are better than other schools...Last year 78 people from the 477 applicant pool were invited for interviews and then 35 of those candidates were invited. Its still OOS numbers but its certainly better than other schools, (i.e. wisconsin that has like 700 and some OOS applicants for 20 spots with no interview!) I am OOS for Florida but feel good about applying there :D:):D
Thanks! I know I had looked at their stats in the past, but I just took a closer look. My stats aren't the greatest, but looks like I have a somewhat decent chance. Some are above and some slightly below their average. It would be nice if IS and OOS stats were separated for GPA and GRE scores.

Apply apply! Tell your friends! Come one, come all!
Hahahaha! I do have a friend that is applying to UF for sure this year, and I have been passing on information about the school to him. :laugh:

I think it's definitely worth applying. The class size will probably be increasing again and it will almost certainly just be more OOS seats. This past application cycle they went from 12 OOS spots to 24. That's a 100% increase! Anyway, like I said...I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion!
Thanks! :) I'm leaning more towards applying. Not excited about traveling for an interview if I get one, but it may be worth it.

Thanks! I know I had looked at their stats in the past, but I just took a closer look. My stats aren't the greatest, but looks like I have a somewhat decent chance. Some are above and some slightly below their average. It would be nice if IS and OOS stats were separated for GPA and GRE scores.

Thanks! :) I'm leaning more towards applying. Not excited about traveling for an interview if I get one, but it may be worth it.

I thought the same thing about GPA and GRE...some schools the difference is HUGE and others not so much.

I thought the same thing about GPA and GRE...some schools the difference is HUGE and others not so much.
I really think it depends on the state and the pool of applicants. I can't remember what school or where I saw the stats, but I know at least one school had a a year where there was a higher average GPA for their in-state students than out of state!

Hahahaha! I do have a friend that is applying to UF for sure this year, and I have been passing on information about the school to him. :laugh:

I remember talking to you about him... please tell me he is at least potential eye candy :rolleyes:
:D

I remember talking to you about him... please tell me he is at least potential eye candy :rolleyes:
:D
He is applying this year for sure as an out of state applicant. I think UF is his first choice. He is potential eye candy, and he's very outgoing! He's one of those people that you can't help but like. :p

He is applying this year for sure as an out of state applicant. I think UF is his first choice. He is potential eye candy, and he's very outgoing! He's one of those people that you can't help but like. :p

Go TR's friend!!!!!! ;)

I really think it depends on the state and the pool of applicants. I can't remember what school or where I saw the stats, but I know at least one school had a a year where there was a higher average GPA for their in-state students than out of state!

Yeah it varies so much...like NC State the OOS GPA is like a 3.9 but the GRE scores are hardly any different than the IS...I also like when schools put the range because an "average" with only 15 or 20 spots can be thrown off a lot by one really low GPA or a 4.0...I just wish ALL the schools would provide extremely detailed information and statistics on my chances of getting in, as well as personal counseling sessions and advice on how to make them love me :D:D ...I can dream, right?

Go TR's friend!!!!!! ;)
:thumbup: I think you forgot to cheer me on, too. :p My friend does have a better GPA and much more research experience than I do, so I believe he does have a slight advantage over me.

Yeah it varies so much...like NC State the OOS GPA is like a 3.9 but the GRE scores are hardly any different than the IS...I also like when schools put the range because an "average" with only 15 or 20 spots can be thrown off a lot by one really low GPA or a 4.0...I just wish ALL the schools would provide extremely detailed information and statistics on my chances of getting in, as well as personal counseling sessions and advice on how to make them love me :D:D ...I can dream, right?
Which schools put down their range? That would be very very helpful if all schools did that! I think some schools can make your dreams a reality. :p I applied to one school last year that was really good about their counseling sessions. I think it helps to meet with them in person rather than on the phone.

Does anyone know how UF treats repeated courses when calculating your science GPA? Do they take the best attempt, average your initial and repeat attempts together to get one grade, or do they include all attempts separately in the science GPA calculation?

Sooooo.... has anyone paid the app fee and gotten the essay question and want to tell me what it is? :hello: As mentioned above, I don't want to submit mine yet!

Third time IS applicant here. Hopefully the third time's the charm. Anyone else applying for their 2nd time or more?

Irrelephant, the essay question is about what kind of diversity you bring to the upcoming class. :)

[

Which schools put down their range? That would be very very helpful if all schools did that! I think some schools can make your dreams a reality. :p I applied to one school last year that was really good about their counseling sessions. I think it helps to meet with them in person rather than on the phone.

NC State lists the ranges...they also separate by IS and OSS

I don't know specifically which schools have ranges, but I know the range for UF tends to be 2.9 and up. I assume the high end is 3.9 or 4.0, and I know there's usually a person or two down in the 2.8/2.9 GPA range.

I don't know specifically which schools have ranges, but I know the range for UF tends to be 2.9 and up. I assume the high end is 3.9 or 4.0, and I know there's usually a person or two down in the 2.8/2.9 GPA range.

That seems about right...NC State is one of the few schools (that I have looked at close enough by the way) that puts averages and ranges seperated by IS and OOS. I think it really helps people decide where exactly they should bother applying...while there is always "the chance" if you look and see that the range for NC State OOS is 3.7-4.0 then if you have the minimum 3.4 it is probably a waste of time and money to apply there. While everyone "has a chance" if you meet the minimum requirements the cost of applying is a BIG factor for me (as I am sure it is other people).

I had a friend apply as OOS to GA with a 3.1??? I just do not understand the logic...but then again her parents were paying for me to apply to literally 14 schools so maybe that influenced it...?

Anyone else having trouble writing a different essay (for the supplemental) than what they wrote for the vmcas personal statement?! im freaking out!!

Anyone else having trouble writing a different essay (for the supplemental) than what they wrote for the vmcas personal statement?! im freaking out!!

This is probably not going to sound helpful at all, but I think the PS should tell the adcoms who you are and how you got here. The diversity essay should tell the adcoms how you're different from everyone else and where you will take the class and the school.

Ahhhh...IDK why but I have totally been stressing about and thus completely ignoring the application. I'm a first time applicant and when I really started looking at my GPA stats(non-trad with a pretty low original undergrad GPA) I was feeling a little defeated. Which is so weird because I am normally not like this! I haven't looked at SDN in a month...so I am giving myself a pep talk and getting re-motivated!