2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! I *just* withdrew about two hours ago, so maybe they work faaaaast. Love Mayo. 👍

Hahaha, I think it was mine. I withdrew yesterday. But both of us withdrawing means there's probably one more offer going out soon! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BIG congrats to those of you who got accepted recently!!! 👍

As a fellow wait-lister very eager to get good news from Mayo, I'm wondering if you sent any updates/letters of intent recently? I've sent two already (though they were both ~3-5 months ago) and I don't know whether I should send another given the time frame and the fact that I don't want to be annoying.
 
BIG congrats to those of you who got accepted recently!!! 👍

As a fellow wait-lister very eager to get good news from Mayo, I'm wondering if you sent any updates/letters of intent recently? I've sent two already (though they were both ~3-5 months ago) and I don't know whether I should send another given the time frame and the fact that I don't want to be annoying.

Thanks! I actually did send a LOI this past Monday reiterating my interest so it was pretty crazy to get accepted a few days later. My first paragraph basically said "If you accept me, I'll definitely go". This was the first LOI I sent them (first LOI I sent the entire cycle, actually).

Given it has been 3 months, I don't think it would be annoying. I imagine they want to take only alternates who would accept their offer and an LOI stating just that could be helpful. Also, I read somewhere that someone sent FIVE LOI's, starting from when she first submitted her primary app (I think she sent the first one after she didn't get an interview). As I recall, when she was finally accepted months later the dean told her they liked her "persistance." Anyways, best of luck to you and I hope you get in too!
 
Welcome to the newbies! I think most of you have found the facebook group, but in case you didn't, just search "Mayo Class of 2014" on facebook and you should find it. There is all sorts of info in there on housing, etc. Looking forward to meeting you all this summer 😳)

~Nerday
 
Congrats to the newest people coming to Mayo and the class of 2013 looks forward to being your med sibs! Enjoy your summers and get ready for a great year!

Best of luck to the people heading other places. I hope you find success and that I will get a chance to see you down the road.
 
Yeah I pay $800/month for a three bdrm house (all to myself) that is a ten minute walk from campus. I pay utilities in addition to that, but it's still a good price.

You definitely won't need the full CoA unless you have kids or are supporting a significant other with no income. If you want to live cheaply, you could definitely find a no-frills place downtown for <$500/mo, utilities included.
 
BIG congrats to those of you who got accepted recently!!! 👍

As a fellow wait-lister very eager to get good news from Mayo, I'm wondering if you sent any updates/letters of intent recently? I've sent two already (though they were both ~3-5 months ago) and I don't know whether I should send another given the time frame and the fact that I don't want to be annoying.

WCS, I sent in an LOI in December. I was actually contemplating sending another one when they called. I would say go ahead and send yours in. It can't hurt. 🙂
 
Word on the street is quite a few people withdrew on Friday....so I would imagine some more people will be getting some good news this week! Good luck to everyone still waiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alternate List :luck:-
paki20, shepardsun, PhDtoMD2010, JJFoshay, OMSTR, saveferris, FutureDoc17, WCS, tommy55

Accepted 😍-
bamtuba, nerday shortay, musik, pharaoh88, sultanMD, Jerew, Beignet87, kspace, dreamcatchr88, LetGod, jizzle (off waitlist), Affix (off waitlist), SirSpicious (off waitlist), shawshank1 (off waitlist), Alive and well (off waitlist)

Withdrew :shrug:
Jolt21, premad, itsalovestory, archimedesxx, jla
 
Just got the call...sooooooo excited..had my heart set on another amazing school (Emory!)..but mayo was sooo impressive this is going to be a really hard decision...i have 1 week to decide!! ahhhh!!

what am I going to do?? help me!

will probably come down to financial aid..how were the financial aid packets for those already accepted?? Emory is giving me $30,000 in grants which may be hard to beat..

Mayo was definitely one of my top choices coming in..but my ONLY reservation was rochester..it was -10 degrees when I interviewed...how is everyone gearing up to prevent depression??
 
Last edited:
Just got the call...sooooooo excited..had my heart set on another amazing school (Emory!)..but mayo was sooo impressive this is going to be a really hard decision...i have 1 week to decide!! ahhhh!!

what am I going to do?? help me!

will probably come down to financial aid..how were the financial aid packets for those already accepted?? Emory is giving me $30,000 in grants which may be hard to beat..

Mayo was definitely one of my top choices coming in..but my ONLY reservation was rochester..it was -10 degrees when I interviewed...how is everyone gearing up to prevent depression??

First, congrats!

Second, join the FB group so you can get some info!

Third, the packages are great. Call Mr. Dahlen and go from there. Mine leaves VERY little to be desired, and when you consider that they continue paying for many incidentals once you are there, it can add up quickly!

Otherwise, I interviewed in September and the place was gorgeous. Maybe why I loved it sooooo much.

Anyhow, :luck: with the decision!
 
Hey all! I was accepted on 5/17 as well and will definitely be attending. So excited - see you there!
 
Last edited:
Just got the call...sooooooo excited..had my heart set on another amazing school (Emory!)..but mayo was sooo impressive this is going to be a really hard decision...i have 1 week to decide!! ahhhh!!

what am I going to do?? help me!

will probably come down to financial aid..how were the financial aid packets for those already accepted?? Emory is giving me $30,000 in grants which may be hard to beat..

Mayo was definitely one of my top choices coming in..but my ONLY reservation was rochester..it was -10 degrees when I interviewed...how is everyone gearing up to prevent depression??

There is nothing quite like an intense Minnesota winter to build one's character and to fortify one's spirit! Yes, character is forged in the frozen wastelands of the North and not in the lush indolence of the tropics, or even the South.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is nothing quite like an intense Minnesota winter to build one's character and to fortify one's spirit! Yes, character is forged in the frozen wastelands of the North and not in the lush indolence of the tropics, or even the South.

The winters suck, but you'll love spring, summer and fall soooo much more after! Also hand warmers are the best invention and get me through my winters. You'll be inside pretty much all the time since the buildings are all connected which is really nice, since at my undergrad I had to walk outside in the frozen tundra to get to all my classes.
 
To clarify for future applicants, Mayo does not normally give out full rides anymore, but as many of us predicted they did come through this year (once again!) with a note letting us know that a "generous benefactor" has given enough that all currently matriculating (ie. class of 2014) students will receive the first year TUITION FREE! 😀

2nd, 3rd, and 4th year will be the amount previously awarded (which I can assure you, is amazing enough), assuming there aren't any other "generous benefactors..."

I love Mayo.

😍
 
As an update, EVERY CURRENT STUDENT is getting a full ride for next year.

200 students going for free tuition.

That's 6.52 MILLION that the school (through donors) is giving the students next year.

👍
 
Last edited:
As an update, EVERY CURRENT STUDENT is getting a full ride for next year.

200 students going for free tuition.

That's 6.52 MILLION that the school (through donors) is giving the students next year.

👍

Must've been some stingy jerk. If I could give him/her a piece of my mind...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.