2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no secondary essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was hoping Mayo's application would be unique again this year (last year it was Mayo 2009!!!). Oh well.

almost want to reapply :(

Members don't see this ad :)
it drove me nuts!
:laugh:

Haha, I loved it, because it made it easier to find. It is my top choice, so I followed it through last year's cycle. Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it. Thanks for keeping the site organized.

Haha, I loved it, because it made it easier to find. It is my top choice, so I followed it through last year's cycle. Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it. Thanks for keeping the site organized.

I even forgot to link Mayo on last year's secondary application thread. This year everything will be easy to find because every single school is linked on the main index thread! Hooray!

Good luck this year! :)

Wow, I have actually started my application process to this awesome school. I have been waiting for this moment for a couple of years now, and it feels awesome. I recently visited Mayo and Rochester, MN, and let me tell you all I was very impressed.

Am I the only one applying to Mayo? I hope so, that would definitely increase my chances.

Wow, I have actually started my application process to this awesome school. I have been waiting for this moment for a couple of years now, and it feels awesome. I recently visited Mayo and Rochester, MN, and let me tell you all I was very impressed.

Am I the only one applying to Mayo? I hope so, that would definitely increase my chances.

lol. Mayo is one of the few OOS schools I would leave cali for, even if a UC accepted me. I know i have no chance there but wth. I couldnt help but add it...maybe it will only be us 2...:laugh:

Hi everyone. I applied last year and will be starting in July. Good luck to all of you applying and let me know if you have any questions. (I will be able to answer them much better in a couple months if they are about life as a student)

I'm applying to, but mstp so we won't hurt each others' chances. I'm so excited!!!

I'm applying as my incredible reach school. Do you see the 10/11 spreadsheet?? Mayo is listed as 10th for LizzyM scores

I'm applying as my incredible reach school. Do you see the 10/11 spreadsheet?? Mayo is listed as 10th for LizzyM scores

If it makes you feel better mayo is not a stat ***** like harvard or washu or any of the other top schools. They could easily be but they really look at other factors. They accept people with 29 MCATs to 40. A pretty large range. I dont know what they are looking for but i know they must be big on something else besdies stats judging from the range of GPA and MCAT they accept. Compare that to stat ***** washu where you have to have a 37 mcat or they rofl @ your application and trash it ;)

If it makes you feel better mayo is not a stat ***** like harvard or washu or any of the other top schools. They could easily be but they really look at other factors. They accept people with 29 MCATs to 40. A pretty large range. I dont know what they are looking for but i know they must be big on something else besdies stats judging from the range of GPA and MCAT they accept. Compare that to stat ***** washu where you have to have a 37 mcat or they rofl @ your application and trash it ;)

After my recent visit to Mayo, I think I would have to say Mayo looks for those applicants who are going to be more than "just doctors" (as if ONLY being a doctor wasn't enough). Thus, if your application shows that you have real potential to make an impact on the world, they will like you.

I don't think I have seen the new spreadsheet, but I do find it fun to look at how numbers alone look. Any one have a link?

I'm applying to, but mstp so we won't hurt each others' chances. I'm so excited!!!

Ok, in that case I will let you also apply to Mayo, but no one else is allowed to apply to the MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, in that case I will let you also apply to Mayo, but no one else is allowed to apply to the MD program.

Uh-oh, hate to burst your bubble, but I am also applying to their MD program. :) It is my top-choice school, and I would love to go there, even though numbers-wise my MCAT is a little sad. Hopefully, though, they will see what they are looking for in me! I actually grew up in Rochester, and I plan to live there with my family someday as well!
I'm glad that their website says they plan to have all their interviews completed by mid-December this year. The earlier, the better, in my opinion! Unless by then I haven't received an interview, then of course I'll be hoping they go later...

Last edited:
Uh-oh, hate to burst your bubble, but I am also applying to their MD program. :) It is my top-choice school, and I would love to go there, even though numbers-wise my MCAT is a little sad. Hopefully, though, they will see what they are looking for in me! I actually grew up in Rochester, and I plan to live there with my family someday as well!
I'm glad that their website says they plan to have all their interviews completed by mid-December this year. The earlier, the better, in my opinion! Unless by then I haven't received an interview, then of course I'll be hoping they go later...

Alright, you're allowed in too, but that is where I draw the line. No one else. Let's try to keep this quiet...

More seriously though, I am also really happy they are accelerating the cycle this year. Honestly, if I get into Mayo I will not interview at any other school after that. I kind of hope I have maybe one interview before Mayo though, so I can have a practice school to warm up on (jk, kind of).

So I went to their prospective student visit, and it only made me love the school even more! I learned so much more about it--their new admissions process, their curriculum, the student life, the philosophy. It was really great, I can't imagine going anywhere else. Too bad so many people apply for so few spots! :( But who knows exactly what they want to see in the interview. They said they are planning to offer interview invites starting in mid-July! That would be so exciting to be invited that quickly

So I went to their prospective student visit, and it only made me love the school even more! I learned so much more about it--their new admissions process, their curriculum, the student life, the philosophy. It was really great, I can't imagine going anywhere else. Too bad so many people apply for so few spots! :( But who knows exactly what they want to see in the interview. They said they are planning to offer interview invites starting in mid-July! That would be so exciting to be invited that quickly

really july thats awesome!!!!!! how sweet would that be to have a mayo acceptance in july august....i could not waste all that money flying all over the country....:). Sadly those are just delusional dreams probably lol

WashU was an awesome place to visit and the students were unbelievably kind. I don't believe it deserves the "robot" reputation at all.

And I wish Mayo's thread name was different this year. I loved being able to quickly scan for it.

35 with almost 4.0 is extreme reach for you?

I might as well remove myself from Mayo's list now and save them the trouble if thats considered an extreme reach

really july thats awesome!!!!!! how sweet would that be to have a mayo acceptance in july august....i could not waste all that money flying all over the country....:). Sadly those are just delusional dreams probably lol

Haha, well they said they still wouldn't start interviews until September (or they may have said August... but I think September), and no medical schools can offer acceptances before Oct. 15. BUT, it's still awesome that they start offering in July, because at least if you get an offer you KNOW you have an interview there! I am so nervous!

Oh and ProtonatedAlchy, they said that personal experiences weigh in much higher than MCAT or GPA. They said that if they wanted to take people with only the highest MCATs and GPAs they could, because they have enough applicants, but that it's not what's important to them, as long as they can see that you could handle the medical school academics. So someone with a 4.0 and 35 really probably wouldn't get in over someone with a 3.8 and a 30 just because of their stats. It would depend on their personal experiences and the interview. Or at least this is what I understood of it! So really, I think Mayo is a reach school for just about anybody.

Haha, well they said they still wouldn't start interviews until September (or they may have said August... but I think September), and no medical schools can offer acceptances before Oct. 15. BUT, it's still awesome that they start offering in July, because at least if you get an offer you KNOW you have an interview there! I am so nervous!

Oh and ProtonatedAlchy, they said that personal experiences weigh in much higher than MCAT or GPA. They said that if they wanted to take people with only the highest MCATs and GPAs they could, because they have enough applicants, but that it's not what's important to them, as long as they can see that you could handle the medical school academics. So someone with a 4.0 and 35 really probably wouldn't get in over someone with a 3.8 and a 30 just because of their stats. It would depend on their personal experiences and the interview. Or at least this is what I understood of it! So really, I think Mayo is a reach school for just about anybody.
lol o wow personal experiences!!!!!! I think i got that on lockdown lol. Lets hope thats true because i would feel much better about my chances.

You have it right. They like people with interesting applications more than just a high MCAT/GPA. Just be genuine and honest with schools and you will end up where you belong.

When were you at the visit? I did that same program, and I was there May 29th. Maybe we were at the same one?

And I wish Mayo's thread name was different this year. I loved being able to quickly scan for it.

I completely agree. I hate how it just blends in now.

When were you at the visit? I did that same program, and I was there May 29th. Maybe we were at the same one?

I completely agree. I hate how it just blends in now.
start a new one (who cares if shemarty freaks)

I actually seriously considered starting a new one, but I just haven't yet. I might start a new one...I don't know. I will think about it today.

Eh, org is good for the site long-term. Plus I fear shemarty. Pretty sure she will end up in control of the AMA sooner or later.

hey does anyone know if Mayo gives any extra consideration or favors students who participated in their SURF program?

Does Mayo have secondaries?

hey does anyone know if Mayo gives any extra consideration or favors students who participated in their SURF program?
I doubt they would; unless you did some networking and got to know some influential people there

35 with almost 4.0 is extreme reach for you?

I might as well remove myself from Mayo's list now and save them the trouble if thats considered an extreme reach

Ehhh, Mayo is known for picking beyond numbers alone.

I some how doubt they give you extra consideration, but any summer research program is good for your application. At the visit, they did talk about what some of the people who had been in the SURF program had gone on to do, some of which was at Mayo. As was previously stated, unless you make some serious connections, I don't think Mayo's SURF program will help you there any more than summer research at a different institution. It could provide you with things to write about in a letter of intrest though.

Does Mayo have secondaries?

The "secondary" consists of a request for letters of recommendation and a fee. I think the fee is $100 this year.

I doubt they would; unless you did some networking and got to know some influential people there

I some how doubt they give you extra consideration, but any summer research program is good for your application. At the visit, they did talk about what some of the people who had been in the SURF program had gone on to do, some of which was at Mayo. As was previously stated, unless you make some serious connections, I don't think Mayo's SURF program will help you there any more than summer research at a different institution. It could provide you with things to write about in a letter of intrest though.

yeah, I figured. I only ask because during the SURF they seemed to be heavily recruiting/persuading us to go for their PhD program. It seemed like all of us would get accepted simply by virtue of being part of the SURF Program. I was just wondering if the med school worked similarly haha

yeah, I figured. I only ask because during the SURF they seemed to be heavily recruiting/persuading us to go for their PhD program. It seemed like all of us would get accepted simply by virtue of being part of the SURF Program. I was just wondering if the med school worked similarly haha

That would be pretty cool for those who participated in SURF if it worked that way, but isn't there something like 100 people in SURF each year (I swear that's what they told us at the visit). If they accepted all of you guys that would be more students than they have in each class. I think they encourage all of you to apply to the PhD program, so they have more competition and can be even more selective.

so reassuring!

That would be pretty cool for those who participated in SURF if it worked that way, but isn't there something like 100 people in SURF each year (I swear that's what they told us at the visit). If they accepted all of you guys that would be more students than they have in each class. I think they encourage all of you to apply to the PhD program, so they have more competition and can be even more selective.

haha, well that's assuming all 100 of those people have the necessary stats/ECs as well... and I'm sure most of the people in the mayo SURF aren't premed. anyway, it was just a thought. hopefully, if anything, it will show some sort of added interest in the school (and hopefully my mayo PI's rec letter will help out too)

I thought this information was useful last year, so I wanted to pass it on to the new applicants. These numbers are approximate and the process may have slightly changed, so if Phoenix or anyone else has exact figures that would make it even more helpful.

~4000 students apply via the AMCAS primary
~3200 applicants are asked to send in the secondary fee after a very low GPA/MCAT screen. Mayo then looks at the entire application including EC's and essays.
~600-800 applicants are asked to submit their letters of recommendation
~250-350 are offered interviews
~65-70 students are offered appointments to the class outright, and more are accepted from the alternate pool when students withdraw

Those that interview are then "ranked" at the next committee meeting where both their interviewers are present. Every month or so, the full admissions committee votes on all ranked candidates to offer acceptances (usually 5-10 at a time). Students that are not accepted are notified of their "hold" status but remain eligible for an acceptance at every full committee meeting.

I thought this information was useful last year, so I wanted to pass it on to the new applicants. These numbers are approximate and the process may have slightly changed, so if Phoenix or anyone else has exact figures that would make it even more helpful.

~4000 students apply via the AMCAS primary
~3200 applicants are asked to send in the secondary fee after a very low GPA/MCAT screen. Mayo then looks at the entire application including EC's and essays.
~600-800 applicants are asked to submit their letters of recommendation
~250-350 are offered interviews
~65-70 students are offered appointments to the class outright, and more are accepted from the alternate pool when students withdraw

Those that interview are then "ranked" at the next committee meeting where both their interviewers are present. Every month or so, the full admissions committee votes on all ranked candidates to offer acceptances (usually 5-10 at a time). Students that are not accepted are notified of their "hold" status but remain eligible for an acceptance at every full committee meeting.

I'm pretty sure they gave us the same basic info at the visit. I really like this info because it helps you know how many people you are competing against at each level. I mean if you get an interview you know you are in a very select group. Not that I would slack off either way, but for some reason I just like to know this stuff.

I have been thinking, and I realized last year the applicant had Phoenix to answer all of their questions and talk to Marcy (who is awesome by the way). Who will we have this year? PremedIowa? DrDeMan? We need a go to person for all our Mayo needs.

I have been thinking, and I realized last year the applicant had Phoenix to answer all of their questions and talk to Marcy (who is awesome by the way). Who will we have this year? PremedIowa? DrDeMan? We need a go to person for all our Mayo needs.

I hope Phoenix will be keep coming back to answer questions-she was hugely helpful last year. I don't know anything yet, but once I get on campus I will try to help out.

Anything new on the Mayo front? This thread has been dead for a couple days. I guess it will be better after the 24th. Just 7 more days!

Anything new on the Mayo front? This thread has been dead for a couple days. I guess it will be better after the 24th. Just 7 more days!
even though they get stuff on the 24th...most secondaries arent received until like early july right?? This stuff needs to start....getting ancy :)

even though they get stuff on the 24th...most secondaries arent received until like early july right?? This stuff needs to start....getting ancy :)

I don't know, I think it depends on the school. If they don't review, we might get them on the 24th. Actually, some schools are already posting their secondaries, like WashU. Other schools will take longer.

I am getting tired of waiting. I just want to get these secondaries out of the way, and then comes the interviews.

I don't know, I think it depends on the school. If they don't review, we might get them on the 24th. Actually, some schools are already posting their secondaries, like WashU. Other schools will take longer.

I am getting tired of waiting. I just want to get these secondaries out of the way, and then comes the interviews.
If you are tired of waiting in July, that's not a good sign. Gotta be patient!

My Mayo timeline went something like this:

Fee request -- 7/12
LOR request -- 8/7
Interview invite -- early October
Accepted -- November

If you are tired of waiting in July, that's not a good sign. Gotta be patient!

My Mayo timeline went something like this:

Fee request -- 7/12
LOR request -- 8/7
Interview invite -- early October
Accepted -- November

They decided to accelerate their cycle this year though. I would love to be accepted by November though...hell I would love to be accepted by Mayo at any point in time. When I visited they said interview invites around late July early August. I hope that was correct info.

They decided to accelerate their cycle this year though. I would love to be accepted by November though...hell I would love to be accepted by Mayo at any point in time. When I visited they said interview invites around late July early August. I hope that was correct info.
each day i get more excited about mayo...i tried not to since there is about a .01% chance they will even bother to look at me...but i cant help it:(. A july interview would be insane! :). Id almost consider my application cycle a success right there ahah.....

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. I also forgot that the current month is June. I shouldn't post early in the morning.

Still, try to be patient, hope for the best and everything will be ok!

each day i get more excited about mayo...i tried not to since there is about a .01% chance they will even bother to look at me...but i cant help it:(. A july interview would be insane! :). Id almost consider my application cycle a success right there ahah.....

gee idk about a July interview. I feel sooo unprepared for interviews right now.... and I wouldn't want Mayo to be my first one (because that's the one you're likely to screw up)

By the way, anyone know if they have rolling admissions?

gee idk about a July interview. I feel sooo unprepared for interviews right now.... and I wouldn't want Mayo to be my first one (because that's the one you're likely to screw up)

By the way, anyone know if they have rolling admissions?

They are rolling admissions.

As for July interviews, I don't think they will be that early. They said the interview invites will likely start in late July to early August. That means that the actual interviews wouldn't be until August to September. Also, this is assuming they can maintain the accelerated pace they are planning on having.

I do agree with not wanting Mayo to be my first interview. I hope maybe my state school can be a warm up...just kidding!!! I am not too nervous, but I do think practice will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.