2009-2010 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did any of you send updates post interview? If so, how long did you wait to send it? It's been three weeks since my interview and I am debating when I should send it.
i didnt, dont send one until after you hear. theyll make their decision based on what they thought of you on your interview day in addition to your app. if you do happened to be waitlisted, if you dont send an update, then you have more ammo to send them to help your cause on the waitlist, at least in my opinion. maybe that isn't effective or doesn't worked based on USF's admissions so i apologize if im wrong, but USF picks people based on the fit so i dont know how much it would help. good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!! Just got the call 10 minutes ago. I asked him "Are you really serious!?" :laugh:

FYI: I sent in an update letter about a week after my interview so it definitely didn't hurt me.

Also, I'll be attending second look in a couple of week. I hope to see some of you there! :D

Did any of you send updates post interview? If so, how long did you wait to send it? It's been three weeks since my interview and I am debating when I should send it.

Hey I actually sent an update letter immediately after my interview. I used it as an opportunity to not only update school but to also show my genuine interest in USF (I am an OOS) and as a general thank you . They informed me that it would be read/addressed during my review. I think its imperative to have it read on your initial review as opposed to waiting till 'waitlisted' as it provides a great forum to really articulate your interest and fit with the school that will be addressed by Ad Com ....

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!! Just got the call 10 minutes ago. I asked him "Are you really serious!?" :laugh:

FYI: I sent in an update letter about a week after my interview so it definitely didn't hurt me.

Also, I'll be attending second look in a couple of week. I hope to see some of you there! :D

Congrats! When did you interview?

Congrats! When did you interview?

Thanks! I interviewed Feb 16th. During my interview they said we would hear back in 2-4 weeks. I got really worried because most people that have been accepted heard back within 2-3 weeks. I guess they're just running a little behind.

I just got an interview invite for April 13th! :)

Does anyone know what the policy this year is on overadmissions? Will USF be heavily overadmitting this year? I have heard that sometimes FL schools overadmit by as much as 100 students and have a waitlist after that as well. Thoughts?

Does anyone know what the policy this year is on overadmissions? Will USF be heavily overadmitting this year? I have heard that sometimes FL schools overadmit by as much as 100 students and have a waitlist after that as well. Thoughts?

All FL schools follow the same procedures, generally speaking. The exceptions tend to be the private schools, and recently, UCF (cause who is going to give up that much in free tuition)

That being said, I'm curious why you are asking.

I just got an interview invite for April 13th! :)

The officially, official, not to be changed again, last interview date is now April 13th.

Unless of course they change it again. For the third time.

What are the odds of an acceptance from USF after being placed on the waitlist? Does anyone know about how much of the class is pulled from the waitlist?

What are the odds of an acceptance from USF after being placed on the waitlist? Does anyone know about how much of the class is pulled from the waitlist?

There tends to be quite a bit of movement in May and June (for all FL schools) so the chances are fair to good, depending on your position on a waitlist, which at USF isn't disclosed...so if anyone is contemplating FSU acceptance vs USF/UF/UM/UCF/FIU.....waitlist

Go with FSU

Does anyone know how I can pull up my app now that the system is closed. I really need to review it for my interview tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how I can pull up my app now that the system is closed. I really need to review it for my interview tomorrow.

As far as I know, once you submit it, that's it. You can't see it anymore.

Anyone in here attending the second look reception on Thursday night? :)

Hi my name is Harold. I was just put on the waitlist. I was wondering about usf policies. Is it ok to write a letter on interest, or no communication with them?

Just interviewed here yesterday and completely fell in love! This is definitely my 1st choice now!

I'll be there tonight. Is the only thing tonight the reception at 8??

As far as I know the only thing going on tonight is the reception at 8pm. See you there! :D

Hi my name is Harold. I was just put on the waitlist. I was wondering about usf policies. Is it ok to write a letter on interest, or no communication with them?

When did you interview? USF encourages students who have interviewed to submit any updates.

I thought second look was great! It was nice to meet any of you (if I did)...

When did you interview? USF encourages students who have interviewed to submit any updates.

Are you sure? I interviewed at the end of March. My letter says the waitlist is FINAL. Admissions committee will notify you if any postions open up.

Are you on the waitlist?
Did you send updates?

I just got an e-mail from admissions saying, among other things, that USF is incorporating a "Fall Break" into their schedule (I think it is a week long). Sweet!!!

Are you sure? I interviewed at the end of March. My letter says the waitlist is FINAL. Admissions committee will notify you if any postions open up.

Are you on the waitlist?
Did you send updates?

You are allowed to sent one update post interview. Once the committee has made a decision on your file, it is final.

Now you just have to wait for the waitlist to start moving.

I just got an e-mail from admissions saying, among other things, that USF is incorporating a "Fall Break" into their schedule (I think it is a week long). Sweet!!!

You are starting a week earlier this year, but it is kinda nice to have those breaks.

Yup but worth it to have the break in the middle of school rather than an extra week of summer, IMO

Are you on the waitlist?
Did you send updates?

No I actually interviewed on 3/16 and have not heard back. I was told 2-4 weeks and today was the 4 week mark. I called and was told that the Vice Dean currently has the decisions and they should go out by the end of this week - whatever that means. As for an update, I brought an update with me to the interview in the form of a letter reaffirming my interest and updating them on things that have happened since my AMCAS was submitted back in July.

Yup but worth it to have the break in the middle of school rather than an extra week of summer, IMO

Ah, I'm happy and bummed about this. I had a trip out to colorado planned that weekend (like july 30-aug3rd) for a 150 mile bike race with like 30 family members...BUT the bike race is every year, and i'm pretty sure I will be super appreciative for that fall break!

You are allowed to sent one update post interview. Once the committee has made a decision on your file, it is final.

Now you just have to wait for the waitlist to start moving.

"Also, updates will not be accepted if you are placed on the USF College of Medicine Waitlist."
Just found this on their website. I think you were allowed to send one update during the time when you were first offered an interview up to the day you were waitlisted.

Hi,
they interviewed about 400 applicants for the class of 120. They end up accepting around 200, so assuming they get very few accepted applicants that officially give up their seat before May 15th, we are looking at about 80 seats to be filled from the waitlist. Assuming (again) that they don't reject anybody immediately post-interview, the waitlist would be around 280, so chances of getting in from the waitlist would be around 80/280, or just below 30%.

Does anybody know if they actually reject applicants immediately post-interview? if so, any number from last year ?

good luck to all..

Hi,
they interviewed about 400 applicants for the class of 120. They end up accepting around 200, so assuming they get very few accepted applicants that officially give up their seat before May 15th, we are looking at about 80 seats to be filled from the waitlist. Assuming (again) that they don't reject anybody immediately post-interview, the waitlist would be around 280, so chances of getting in from the waitlist would be around 80/280, or just below 30%.

Does anybody know if they actually reject applicants immediately post-interview? if so, any number from last year ?

good luck to all..

I think this is a very conservative estimate. I think that more than 80 people give up their seats. The MSAR book would have the exact details from last year's cycle. However, there has been a new admissions director since then.

I am not sure if many medical students look at this thread but I wanted to get a medical student's perspective on something.......
Where are some good places to look at if someone wanted to live alone?

I am considering living alone and have already looked at some places. I need help finding apartments that are decently priced for a single occupant. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure if many medical students look at this thread but I wanted to get a medical student's perspective on something.......

I am considering living alone and have already looked at some places. I need help finding apartments that are decently priced for a single occupant. Thanks in advance!
Pretty sure there's a housing database exclusively for med students...check that out but I'm not a current med student at USF so I can't help you there..

I'm not a med student, but I've been an undergrad at USF for the past 4 years, so I know a lot of the places around the school (and further away, I currently live in Brandon).

This is a website created by the undergrad student gov, so it's very possible that most of those places are littered with them and noisy. I believe all of those apartments are within like less than 5 miles of the school: http://sra.usf.edu/och/home

If none of the places on that site strike your fancy, research places in the New Tampa/Tampa Palms area just north of the school. It can average anywhere from 10 minutes (with light traffic) to over half an hour to get to the school from this area depending on how far north you go. Most places there are pretty nice and family oriented. Some are on the expensive side though.

I've got an opinion on almost every apartment complex and area around the school. Granted my opinions are based on my own personal feelings, I'm willing to share them if you'd like. Just message me.

I noticed on my OASIS account that I've got some Fed loans and need based scholarships showing up for next year. I don't know if those of you who aren't currently USF students have access to that yet. Do they usually mail out the financial aid packages, or is it all done via OASIS?

How do I get an Oasis account?

You have to have what we call a UID number first. They'll tell you how to do all that eventually, I'm sure, since USF loves their OASIS system and does a lot through it.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure they'll only set those accounts up for people who are 110% sure they're going to USF. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of time to give every potential new class member an account. So it'll probably be after may 15.

You have to have what we call a UID number first. They'll tell you how to do all that eventually, I'm sure, since USF loves their OASIS system and does a lot through it.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure they'll only set those accounts up for people who are 110% sure they're going to USF. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of time to give every potential new class member an account. So it'll probably be after may 15.
All you have to do is login and make a temporary one with the instructions in the financial aid email they sent out a couple weeks ago. First login you just need your SSN, then you make a username and PIN.

Thanks, I think I've done this before...except I forgot what my PIN was supposed to be, I also forgot that I used the abbreviation for my HS as opposed to the full name so I've exceeded my login attempts for today, lol

Thanks, I think I've done this before...except I forgot what my PIN was supposed to be, I also forgot that I used the abbreviation for my HS as opposed to the full name so I've exceeded my login attempts for today, lol

lol, unfortunately...the way they have it set up, you're permanently blocked and have to contact them to reset it. It's a pain in the ass, so I write my pin down because they make us change it every like 180 days or something like that...

lol, unfortunately...the way they have it set up, you're permanently blocked and have to contact them to reset it. It's a pain in the ass, so I write my pin down because they make us change it every like 180 days or something like that...

oh that's a real PITA....

Got my financial aid package. Is it true they will be raising tuition 10% a year?

Got my financial aid package. Is it true they will be raising tuition 10% a year?

Yes. That decision is made by the FL legislature and will affect students at all schools except Miami (and UCF if they keep paying for everyone's tuition).

Another question, are books and supplies really $2,250?

Status
Not open for further replies.