2021-2022 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do SELECT students ever get merit scholarships? I have two schools (including USF) who still haven't given me aid packages yet who I am both considering dropping my As before tomorrow's deadline..not sure what to do lol since I don't feel like I have a clear picture monetarily

Members don't see this ad.

Do SELECT students ever get merit scholarships? I have two schools (including USF) who still haven't given me aid packages yet who I am both considering dropping my As before tomorrow's deadline..not sure what to do lol since I don't feel like I have a clear picture monetarily
You don't have to feel pressure to drop anything by tomorrow's deadline. It's an AAMC guideline, but there is no enforcement until 5/2, when you are expected to drop to one A and schools can see and enforce at that time.

Also, you can and should ask for extensions anywhere you don't have a clear picture monetarily. You are really entitled to that before making any decisions. Most schools are pretty reasonable and liberal in granting extensions under those circumstances.

Lots of scholarships are given throughout the year. I know people who got them during the middle of the first semester. If you don't get anything initially I wouldn't rule out the possibility of future funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my A and declined my scholarship for OOS CORE. USF was my first A on Oct 15, and first interview 🥺. It’s been a long road everyone.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today off the waitlist for SELECT program after interviewing Jan 7th! OOS, 508 MCAT, non trad lots of research :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just accepted to SELECT today. Interviewed 3/7. This was the first communication I had with USF since interviewing. OOS, 519 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, pretty standard ECs.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just accepted to SELECT today. Interviewed 3/7. This was the first communication I had with USF since interviewing. OOS, 519 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, pretty standard ECs.
wow, pretty quick turnaround compared to their 6-8 week timeline! congrats!! was it through the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also just got off the waitlist for CORE!! Is it normal for them to ask to verify your social security??

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I also just got off the waitlist for CORE!! Is it normal for them to ask to verify your social security??
The biggest congratulations to you! Would you be willing to share your interview date and some of your stats??

Anyone been able to access OASIS?
I keep getting an error message when I try to access it. Contacted IT support this morning and after not being able to troubleshoot, the guy said he would transfer for problem to the OASIS people and said they'd be working on it and would send me updates, nothing so far though

Reactions: 1 user
I keep getting an error message when I try to access it. Contacted IT support this morning and after not being able to troubleshoot, the guy said he would transfer for problem to the OASIS people and said they'd be working on it and would send me updates, nothing so far though
How long ago were you accepted. This happened to me too and when I called IT they said it could take up to 10 days for OASIS to get your information

So like... how does this work with regard to CYMS? Do I have to decide between this one and my other acceptances by midnight?
No. Dropping to 3 As by today is a suggestion, with no ability to enforce because they cannot run reports identifying your selection until 5/2. So, you have until 5/2 to reduce to one A and designated that school as PTE, unless it also requires CTE on that date.

How long ago were you accepted. This happened to me too and when I called IT they said it could take up to 10 days for OASIS to get your information
Accepted 10/15 but just made my usf ID and stuff Wednesday when they sent us an email with instructions on how to register an account

Oh, but on the USF MCOM website it says June 1st which is why I was confused
While it opens in the beginning of May, it cannot be transmitted until the end of the month. Maybe that's what they are referring to.

While it opens in the beginning of May, it cannot be transmitted until the end of the month. Maybe that's what they are referring to.

Gotcha! Do most applicants apply in early may? I still need an extra month or so to add more clinical hours so I’m hoping it won’t affect me much if I apply a little later…

Gotcha! Do most applicants apply in early may? I still need an extra month or so to add more clinical hours so I’m hoping it won’t affect me much if I apply a little later…
It really varies. A bunch of very uptight people apply in the first hour of the first day, thinking it will give them an advantage. It doesn't. Just look at any school specific thread, and observe how people are surprised when people who submitted after they did receive IIs first.

Earlier is always better than later, but you really have all summer to get everything in before you bump up against possibly being at a disadvantage after Labor Day. Keep in mind, though, that's a soft deadline for getting everything in, primary, secondary, LORs, everything.

The first step is to get your primary verified, and that could take up to 6 weeks after you submit, which is why people obsess on submitting early. AMCAS builds in a little speed bump for you, by holding everything until at least 6/24 (i.e., the application opens on 5/3, but they do not accept submissions until 5/31, and will not transmit to schools until 6/24 at the earliest, assuming you are verified by then).

Bottom line -- even though you can start working on the primary on 5/3, you cannot submit until 5/31. Will that work for you? If not, you can probably wait an extra week or two and still be verified by 6/24, but it's not an exact science, as the queue will build from around a day at 9:30 a.m., or whenever they open the portal on 5/31, and will geometrically increase from there. Within a week or two the queue will be long enough that you will no longer be able to be verified by 6/24. Not the end of the world, for the reason I stated above, but still, if you desperately need to be in the first batch, you want to be in by the end of the first week of June, and even that won't be a guarantee!

After AMCAS gets slammed the first few days, things steady, and people apply throughout the summer. As I said before, you want to be complete everywhere by Labor Day. Submitting by the end of June should allow you to do that. Earlier is better than later, but your earliest possible submission is 5/31, not 5/3. Hope this wasn't too long, and helped! :)

Soooo when is FAFSA officially due? Can I still submit it if I just got off the waitlist??

Soooo when is FAFSA officially due? Can I still submit it if I just got off the waitlist??
Of course. The deadline is 6/30/23 for federal money! (Literally, the end of the academic year) :)

Schools all set their own deadlines for institutional aid, but you wouldn't have been considered for aid without being accepted for admission, so there is nothing you could have done before now anyway, although nothing would have stopped you from adding them to your school list at any time.

Just submit it now and see what happens.

It really varies. A bunch of very uptight people apply in the first hour of the first day, thinking it will give them an advantage. It doesn't. Just look at any school specific thread, and observe how people are surprised when people who submitted after they did receive IIs first.

Earlier is always better than later, but you really have all summer to get everything in before you bump up against possibly being at a disadvantage after Labor Day. Keep in mind, though, that's a soft deadline for getting everything in, primary, secondary, LORs, everything.

The first step is to get your primary verified, and that could take up to 6 weeks after you submit, which is why people obsess on submitting early. AMCAS builds in a little speed bump for you, by holding everything until at least 6/24 (i.e., the application opens on 5/3, but they do not accept submissions until 5/31, and will not transmit to schools until 6/24 at the earliest, assuming you are verified by then).

Bottom line -- even though you can start working on the primary on 5/3, you cannot submit until 5/31. Will that work for you? If not, you can probably wait an extra week or two and still be verified by 6/24, but it's not an exact science, as the queue will build from around a day at 9:30 a.m., or whenever they open the portal on 5/31, and will geometrically increase from there. Within a week or two the queue will be long enough that you will no longer be able to be verified by 6/24. Not the end of the world, for the reason I stated above, but still, if you desperately need to be in the first batch, you want to be in by the end of the first week of June, and even that won't be a guarantee!

After AMCAS gets slammed the first few days, things steady, and people apply throughout the summer. As I said before, you want to be complete everywhere by Labor Day. Submitting by the end of June should allow you to do that. Earlier is better than later, but your earliest possible submission is 5/31, not 5/3. Hope this wasn't too long, and helped! :)

Thank you so much!!! I didn’t know that the earliest possible submission is 5/31, that works out perfectly then :)

Hey y’all, I got off of the waitlist on Friday. I’m sure there’s already a Facebook or Groupme posted on here for accepted students, but can anyone share it again? Thanks

Reactions: 3 users
You can actually project hours on your app! as long as you started the activity before you submit, you can project the hours and things you'll be doing

Looks like waitlist/R letters are being sent out today (seen via USPS informed delivery)...good luck, everyone!

Looks like waitlist/R letters are being sent out today (seen via USPS informed delivery)...good luck, everyone!
How do you know? My informed delivery says I have mail and packages coming soon but it doesn't actually show anything for today

How do you know? My informed delivery says I have mail and packages coming soon but it doesn't actually show anything for today
I see its image through my USPS informed delivery. The letter is addressed from USF Health, Office of MD Admissions. I'm in state though, so that may be why I'm getting mine a bit sooner? I interviewed 3/15, if that helps provide some clarity!

Reactions: 2 users
I see its image through my USPS informed delivery. The letter is addressed from USF Health, Office of MD Admissions. I'm in state though, so that may be why I'm getting mine a bit sooner? I interviewed 3/15, if that helps provide some clarity!
I interviewed 2/14 and I live in tampa so idk. I contacted USPS and it says if it doesn't show any images it means I don't have any verified mail coming. I hate this wait

• Care
Nope, they called me at like 10 AM. Ha ha
Hello,
I also just got accepted on Friday, via phone call, and was wondering how long after your phone call did you receive information on setting up your student email and student portal accounts as well as financial aid information.

Is OASIS still busted for people? Not sure if I should reach out individually to the school or if its a system wide issue...ugh I'm pretty sure I won't even go here I just wanna be able to see my darn financial aid to be sure :( so frustrating

Waitlisted by postal mail today! Interviewed 3/15.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
i'm IS and interviewed for core early to mid march and haven't heard anything yet. do you think it's safe to assume i have a WL coming in the mail? i don't have USPS informed delivery to check 😅

edit: lol jk i got the waitlist letter, the mail just came late today

Last edited: