2021-2022 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted by mail today, interviewed 2/14 for CORE, URM in-state (posting also for those who might look at this thread in the next cycle for clues)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the waitlist ranked? or do they go through with the waitlist in chronological order of people placed on it?
I’m pretty sure no medical school has ever had a chronological order waitlist. IMO, that would always lead to a lower strength academic class than otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty sure no medical school has ever had a chronological order waitlist. IMO, that would always lead to a lower strength academic class than otherwise.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it also seems kinda silly to assume that admissions committees are always using logic to make their decisions. It’s also possible to interview/add to waitlist in order of academic strength, thereby making the chronological order of the WL also the strongest academic class. 🤷🏻‍♂️

it seems like the only people that interview past December that don’t automatically get put on the waitlist are those in the select program

+1, IS ORM late March interview for CORE, had one of the last dates available for the interviews.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it also seems kinda silly to assume that admissions committees are always using logic to make their decisions. It’s also possible to interview/add to waitlist in order of academic strength, thereby making the chronological order of the WL also the strongest academic class. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You might not like or agree with the logic, but, rest assured, they all use some form of it. No adcom would ever admit that that process is random, and, it isn't. If you think academic strength is the only metric used, you just haven't been paying attention! :)

Nothing in med school admissions is "first come, first served." Certainly not initial reviews, which is why applications are immediately stratified upon receipt, based on whatever criteria the adcom sets, and IIs then go out in an order that has no relation to your complete date. Sure, once you have been interviewed, if admission decisions are rolling, people will go to the committee in the order they were interviewed.

But people will be placed on the WL based on this date, not based on the strength of their application, which will rise and fall based on interview performance. People called for earlier interviews are just in an earlier review group, based on the initial stratification. They are not necessarily all the best candidates with the strongest applications, academically or otherwise.

Beyond that, just don't confuse med school admissions with a bakery or deli counter. It will only lead to confusion and disappointment. :)

Hello,
I also just got accepted on Friday, via phone call, and was wondering how long after your phone call did you receive information on setting up your student email and student portal accounts as well as financial aid information.
I got accepted on Friday as well. I just checked my AAMC portal, and it updated my CYMS. However, this update went live yesterday. I also received the background check request in my email. Nothing else yet.

For the email that just got sent out telling us to email them if we intend to enroll, does anyone know what we should do if we do intend to enroll but are also on other waitlists? Like should I say I intend to enroll even though there’s a chance I may not go there?

For the email that just got sent out telling us to email them if we intend to enroll, does anyone know what we should do if we do intend to enroll but are also on other waitlists? Like should I say I intend to enroll even though there’s a chance I may not go there?
What email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if it was posted earlier in the thread but are there any accepted student group chats?

I keep getting an error message when I try to access it. Contacted IT support this morning and after not being able to troubleshoot, the guy said he would transfer for problem to the OASIS people and said they'd be working on it and would send me updates, nothing so far though
I'm also still having issues. Have you heard any updates from them?

Make sure to select them with the CYSM tool if you haven't already. After that you should be good to sit on waitlists but if you're still worried then I would email them about it.

I'm also still having issues. Have you heard any updates from them?
emailed a few days ago and they said they're aware and working on it, still can't get in either. will I get my financial aid package ever??? at this point it feels like no lol

also just got the A of the WL! :D

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
recently accepted students off the WL this week, do you know when financial aid information for us will come out?

don’t they have to release it by this week so people can know if they want to withdraw their acceptance?
Technically, as the adcoms repeatedly remind us, they don't have to release anything, ever. Practically, if they don't get it out and you need it to make a decision, most schools will be liberal in granting deadline extensions.

Accepted 10/15 but just made my usf ID and stuff Wednesday when they sent us an email with instructions on how to register an account
Did you get the financial aid package?

How do you get your financial aid package? Is the only thing you have to fill out FAFSA or are there other forms to fill out

Does anyone know a phone number that can be used to contact this school?

update if anyone hasn't checked in a while...oasis does seem to be working now (no more error message) but the sections where Fin Aid would be are still blank...is there something I'm missing? Like any forms besides FAFSA?

What email
Got an email similar to previous years where they ask you to send in a letter of intent if you are interested in remaining on the waitlist, or to email them if you are no longer interested in the waitlist.

Though looking at previous years' threads it seems like those who both sent a LOI and those who did not both received A's in the end so who knows how much they actually help?

did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist this month and get a USF ID # already? I wasn't given one and can't see any financial info without it

did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist this month and get a USF ID # already? I wasn't given one and can't see any financial info without it
I was accepted on 4/15 but was never on the waitlist (interviewed 3/7). Haven’t gotten my USF ID yet. I emailed Ayanna Johnson last week, and she said it would take a couple weeks. :/

Who do you email to withdraw the acceptance from here? i just got accepted off the WL the other day but decided to go somewhere else

Who do you email to withdraw the acceptance from here? i just got accepted off the WL the other day but decided to go somewhere else
I think you just email usfmedadmissions, its the same email they usually send stuff from

So I just got a voicemail from an admissions person. Does this mean I'm in?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted off the waitlist! CORE, IS, interviewed 10/26/21

• Love
Reactions: 8 users