2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those who are theorizing - I was verified on July 2nd and got the secondary on 7/31 (postmarked 7/30).
Are you vandy undergrad though? Cause that would bump you to the head of the line supposedly.
If not, you're some weird exception because for the most part, its been almost exclusively people who have been verified before 7/17ish who got letters post marked 7/30or31
 
Are you vandy undergrad though? Cause that would bump you to the head of the line supposedly.
If not, you're some weird exception because for the most part, its been almost exclusively people who have been verified before 7/17ish who got letters post marked 7/30or31

I'm not a Vandy undergrad. I am doing research at Vanderbilt right now, but that probably wouldn't bump me up in the line.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a Vandy undergrad. I am doing research at Vanderbilt right now, but that probably wouldn't bump me up in the line.
Could be ties to the university that moved you ahead (ties being parents, working there, or undergrad). Who knows. Maybe you're just lucky as heck or there's no order at all.
who really knows...
 
I don't think verification date has anything to do with it. A friend of mine got one and he was verified at least a week after me...so like 7/9 or so.

My only suggestion is be patient and see what happens.
 
I don't think verification date has anything to do with it. A friend of mine got one and he was verified at least a week after me...so like 7/9 or so.

My only suggestion is be patient and see what happens.

meh, if you were verified 7/9 and got it 7/31, then there's prob no order. There were people verified long before 7/9 who got it after 7/31
 
meh, if you were verified 7/9 and got it 7/31, then there's prob no order. There were people verified long before 7/9 who got it after 7/31

Yea all our theorizing on this could be wrong, but the only chances that they are following an order is if they move up people from Vandy/TN above in the list because those are the ones that can potentially take the earlier interview dates. Who knows? Let the waiting game continue...
 
I don't want to sound like a jerk but I think you guys are over-analyzing this. I know it sucks to think about (I'm freaking out about Ohio State currently), but hopefully it'll all be resolved soon. At least it's Friday, right? Hopefully a stress-free weekend will be in order.
 
I don't want to sound like a jerk but I think you guys are over-analyzing this. I know it sucks to think about (I'm freaking out about Ohio State currently), but hopefully it'll all be resolved soon. At least it's Friday, right? Hopefully a stress-free weekend will be in order.

hah yeah I just realized how pathetic we all sound. Oh well, I guess that's why I try to remain anonymous on the internet!
 
Do you guys know how to indicate on my secondary that I am also submitting ADDITIONAL letters through AMCAS.

Is that allowed? I figured only three were to be submitted. I guess they didn't state that you couldn't send more.
 
I don't want to sound like a jerk but I think you guys are over-analyzing this. I know it sucks to think about (I'm freaking out about Ohio State currently), but hopefully it'll all be resolved soon. At least it's Friday, right? Hopefully a stress-free weekend will be in order.

yea sorry about that, the next time I post shall be when I get my snail mail from them. Hope you guys have a good weekend!
 
Hey guys!

Ok, to answer a few questions:

a couple of you have sent me PMs about LORs. I definitely dont know the official policy, but I know my school sent both the committee letter and the individual recommendations, so I'm pretty sure the number of letters doesn't matter all that much. I know a lot of people who sent more than they were supposed to simply because they all came in a packet. But I would definitely call to make sure (the admission people are insanely nice anyway).

as for the order, as I said, take no news to be no news. As far as I understand, each application is individually read through by three separate people. Because that means three people have to be on the ball and a final "score" has to be determined with all three "subscores", things obviously are highly variable as far as time is concerned. You might have the people who are super together and get everything done very quickly, or the uber-busy attending who is going to get to the application eventually, and who is slowing down the other two reviewers. So don't stress. Your applications aren't "pre-ranked". The number of Vandy undergrads having heard already probably has a lot to do with how many Vandy undergrads apply to the med school. It's possible that they go over them first, but I doubt it. I find it more likely that this part of the process, too, is random. After all, it all is.

So breathe in, breathe out, and let the mailman come without you terrorizing him.
 
I want an interview but I am worried im out now, I was verified and received the email 7/14. I was a reapp and I think I received the reject after the acceptances. I am not a troll and I do not want to destroy hopes. I still have my hopes!!! I love this school!!!
 
Hey guys!

Ok, to answer a few questions:

a couple of you have sent me PMs about LORs. I definitely dont know the official policy, but I know my school sent both the committee letter and the individual recommendations, so I'm pretty sure the number of letters doesn't matter all that much. I know a lot of people who sent more than they were supposed to simply because they all came in a packet. But I would definitely call to make sure (the admission people are insanely nice anyway).

as for the order, as I said, take no news to be no news. As far as I understand, each application is individually read through by three separate people. Because that means three people have to be on the ball and a final "score" has to be determined with all three "subscores", things obviously are highly variable as far as time is concerned. You might have the people who are super together and get everything done very quickly, or the uber-busy attending who is going to get to the application eventually, and who is slowing down the other two reviewers. So don't stress. Your applications aren't "pre-ranked". The number of Vandy undergrads having heard already probably has a lot to do with how many Vandy undergrads apply to the med school. It's possible that they go over them first, but I doubt it. I find it more likely that this part of the process, too, is random. After all, it all is.

So breathe in, breathe out, and let the mailman come without you terrorizing him.

Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, Vanderbilt interviews begin 8/15/09, in 7 days 😱

I've already been provided with a name, picture, and an email address of a person I will be interviewing with.

What field is yours? Mine's a Pediatric Endocrinologist!
 
i'm getting mad anal about this autobiography. so many things to write about

ugh for real. I never realized how long 1200 words is, especially when they all have to be about me! I'm working on it now (or should be), plus I still have my challenge essay to write. Oh well, I'm excited to be able to schedule my interview soon!
 
for anyone who has submitted their secondary, what interview dates are available for august?
 
for anyone who has submitted their secondary, what interview dates are available for august?

As of tonight, definitely the 27th and 28th, and i think the monday/tuesday before that (the...24th 25th). I was looking at those but ultimately decided a little later.

YAY😀

So do you call an MD/JD "doctor ___"? I've never met anyone who's MD/JD or even just JD.
 
Last edited:
As of tonight, definitely the 27th and 28th, and i think the monday/tuesday before that (the...24th 25th). I was looking at those but ultimately decided on September 4th.

YAY😀

So do you call an MD/JD "doctor ___"? I've never met anyone who's MD/JD or even just JD. My interviewer is one though.
MD = Medical Doctor
JD = Juris Doctor

would seem appropriate 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JD is what law school grads get.

yah, I knew that, I guess I didn't realize you call lawyers Dr. Plus the keeper of all knowledge, aka wikipedia, says JDs typically don't use the title of doctor. I feel kind of dumb about that whole title thing (though I suppose it doesn't matter if they've got an MD too).
 
people are scheduling interviews/starting in 2 days!? man..i guess i should get crackin on this secondary...
 
Almost All M, Tr, F dates are full in August now. almost


does anyone know if vandy has student hosting?
We have student hosting.

Also for anyone curious, with 75% of my class in, the dean's office told us our Step I avg was 247. Final may change obviously, but yes we are awesome 😉
 
you guys have student hosting? they didn't tell me anything about it! maybe its cuz august is too early?

i already got a hotel room.... i guess i have to make it worth it and bring someone back
 
We have student hosting.

Also for anyone curious, with 75% of my class in, the dean's office told us our Step I avg was 247. Final may change obviously, but yes we are awesome 😉

I don't believe it! 😱
 
yea i was just kidding but that place is huge



i'm at the holiday inn select-vanderbilt, thats close enough right? it was around $100 + $200 for my ticket
 
Just a quick question for those working on their autobiography or who have already completed it:

Approximately how many values did you specifically list as you wrote? I don't want to dilute my essay with too many values, but would rather go more in depth on a few.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a quick question for those working on their autobiography or who have already completed it:

Approximately how many values did you specifically list as you wrote? I don't want to dilute my essay with too many values, but would rather go more in depth on a few.

i think i landed at around 4-5, pretty much integrated into my lifestory and whatnot. that was a freaking beast of an essay. took me the whole of last weekend to do.
 
yea i dont know how many values exactly but i sprinkled at least 3 in or so through out the different parts of my story. i am never looking at that essay again.
 
Would you say Vandy is sending out interview offers in batches more or less?? Seems like the initial wave has gone through...and no action since.

I'm still waiting to hear back!
 
for those that have booked an interview recently: what kind of dates are still available? anything left in August?

i can't even check until i submit this monster of an essay.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.