2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that wishes there was a spot for an essay : (

professional help. haha

Members don't see this ad.

I did. It looked as though the breaks came through...hopefully the format the adcom gets will have the breaks as well

Awesome, thanks. I was surprised there wasn't a preview page.

Just read on their e-mail that HMS is NOT rolling admissions. Though I'm sure everyone is well aware of this.

This will be the last app I'm sending in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read on their e-mail that HMS is NOT rolling admissions. Though I'm sure everyone is well aware of this.

This will be the last app I'm sending in. :)

Assuming you're a traditional student, this is quite possibly the easiest app I've seen. It took me no more than 5 minutes to complete.

i would apply early if you can! even though final decisions are non-rolling, applying early might let them 1) consider you for an interview with fewer competing applications in the inbox 2) give them more time to consider you at future adcom meetings if they don't decide to interview you right away

i would apply early if you can! even though final decisions are non-rolling, applying early might let them 1) consider you for an interview with fewer competing applications in the inbox 2) give them more time to consider you at future adcom meetings if they don't decide to interview you right away

Good point. Though based on their e-mail, it sounds like they won't look at any application until after Nov 1st. It's possible they might even review based on alphabetical order instead of order of submission. They seem to heavily emphasized that every applicant before Nov 1st will be given "full consideration".

hmm maybe they have new system this year? last year the first round of interview invites went out in mid/late-ish september, and they started interviewing for NP in october and for HST in december. :shrug:

NVM...take that back...4000 characters just sounds a lot.:D

Good point. Though based on their e-mail, it sounds like they won't look at any application until after Nov 1st.
no it doesn't sound like that at all. i think you're reading into it
It's possible they might even review based on alphabetical order instead of order of submission.
this is exactly how crazy SDN rumors start, please refrain from speculating unless you have any kind of evidence.

jla said:
holy cow it's a cougar sighting in its natural habitat.

Members don't see this ad :)
no it doesn't sound like that at all. i think you're reading into it

Fair enough. Somebody mentioning that they send out interviews in Sept (which is well before Nov) completely disproves my theory.

this is exactly how crazy SDN rumors start, please refrain from speculating unless you have any kind of evidence.

Not sure if I've ever heard of or bought into a SDN rumor. I did say "possible" and "might". Per what I said above, this "speculation" is also completely wrong.

Not sure if I've ever heard of or bought into a SDN rumor. I did say "possible" and "might". Per what I said above, this "speculation" is also completely wrong.
it's possible the hms dean might personally come to my door bearing flowers and a thick envelope along with a check for 200K, but i don't have any reason to believe this is true either.

it's possible the hms dean might personally come to my door bearing flowers and a thick envelope along with a check for 200K, but i don't have any reason to believe this is true either.

:thumbup:

Anybody got the prompt for nontrad students?

Considering it's nonrolling and the secondary is super easy it might be worth throwing in on this just fo fun.

Nontraditional Applicant Prompt:

"If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. (4000 characters max)."

Somehow I feel like I've done this one before...:love:

Anybody get some sort of confirmation that their file is complete?

All I got was this:
"We successfully received an application from "flatlandhiker" on 7/xx/2010 xx:xx AM. If you have not already done so, be sure to finalize your application when you are ready to submit it to the Committee on Admissions for review."

When I did finalize, I didn't get another note.

All I got was this:
"We successfully received an application from "flatlandhiker" on 7/xx/2010 xx:xx AM. If you have not already done so, be sure to finalize your application when you are ready to submit it to the Committee on Admissions for review."

I didn't get anything either. I wouldn't worry about it.

What do they mean by finalize? I just hit submit and paid the fee. Is there something else we need to do?

All I got was this:

they wont send you a complete message for a couple of weeks if its anything like last year

Since Harvard has no questions on the Secondary, do you think they primarily select people for interviews just off the info on the primary? I am not sure how I feel about that. There are pros and cons to that I suppose.

There are places like my state school that accept 70% of the ~300 people they interview because they heavily screen their candidates with the secondary, and then there are places like Harvard that interview close to 1000 candidates and narrow it down to ~200. Harvard's method reflects a certain willingness to cast a wider net using the primary and may indicate some level of dissatisfaction with the limitations of relying too heavily on applicants' carefully crafted paper representations of themselves. The lack of secondary essays might also suggest a heavier emphasis on the interview in making the final decision...but that's only speculation on my part. Whatever system they have, I'm sure it works well for them :)

There are places like my state school that accept 70% of the ~300 people they interview because they heavily screen their candidates with the secondary, and then there are places like Harvard that interview close to 1000 candidates and narrow it down to ~200. Harvard's method reflects a certain willingness to cast a wider net using the primary and may indicate some level of dissatisfaction with the limitations of relying too heavily on applicants' carefully crafted paper representations of themselves. The lack of secondary essays might also suggest a heavier emphasis on the interview in making the final decision...but that's only speculation on my part. Whatever system they have, I'm sure it works well for them :)

Thanks Ipizzy! That's definitely interesting to know:thumbup:

I am almost done with the secondary but I didnt find a spot for letters. When/where does harvard ask for them?

Last edited:
id like to go harvard
who should i call?

no i meant higher ups at haavaad
i come from blue blood, i know how these things work guys

Hi, is anyone applying MD/MPH or another joint degree? I indicated it on my AMCAS, but according to the admissions office, you're not supposed to write the essay unless you are actually sending in an application to the other school. So I guess I would not write the essay despite what I designated on AMCAS. Anyone else doing this?

rb93...that is not the case for md/mph. you write hte essay and dont apply till after youre in. but for md/mba and md/mpp, YES, you would have to send an app to the other school.

Last edited:
has anyone received a complete e-mail from hms admissions?

We successfully received an application from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX on X/X/XXXX X:XX:XX XM. If you have not already done so, be sure to finalize your application when you are ready to submit it to the Committee on Admissions for review.

That was the last e-mail I received. am I complete? do they send confirmations?

has anyone received a complete e-mail from hms admissions?

We successfully received an application from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX on X/X/XXXX X:XX:XX XM. If you have not already done so, be sure to finalize your application when you are ready to submit it to the Committee on Admissions for review.

That was the last e-mail I received. am I complete? do they send confirmations?

from reading last year's thread, it will take them approx 20 days to send you a complete email.

HMS requires Calc 2, correct? Their site is not working for me from work for some reason...

HMS requires Calc 2, correct? Their site is not working for me from work for some reason...

I e-mailed them and they said my maths were fine. I had two math classes that weren't traditional Calc I and II. One was a business calc class and one was statistics. They said it covers the math requirement fine.

Just got an email...

"Thank you for your application for admission to the Harvard Medical School class entering in August 2011. At this time your application has been verified as complete, and is available for review by members of the Committee on Admissions. Our review process is very thorough, and no final decisions are made until the end of the process. We do not have rolling admission, and we can give you no further information about the status of your application until decisions are sent in March."

I guess it will be awhile, but they are doing something.

Dear All:

Hey! I'm a rising freshman at a top 5 college. I am not bragging I promise, but I just want some serious advice as to what the top medical schools such as Penn, Stanford and Harvard look for in an applicant. My counselor told me so far the following:
-They want a future leader in medicine, so national/international leadership is outstanding in their eyes in something you love.
-They look for (pretty obvious) the academically qualified, so 3.8+/36+
-They don't just want a doctor, but a humanitarian, so community service outside of medicine would be great.

I very much appreciate any other advice/recommendations anyone has for me as I head into my first semester.

Thanks so much!

Sevengates

Dear All:

Hey! I'm a rising freshman at a top 5 college. I am not bragging I promise, but I just want some serious advice as to what the top medical schools such as Penn, Stanford and Harvard look for in an applicant. My counselor told me so far the following:
-They want a future leader in medicine, so national/international leadership is outstanding in their eyes in something you love.
-They look for (pretty obvious) the academically qualified, so 3.8+/36+
-They don't just want a doctor, but a humanitarian, so community service outside of medicine would be great.

I very much appreciate any other advice/recommendations anyone has for me as I head into my first semester.

Thanks so much!

Sevengates

owl-orly.jpg

owl_yarly.jpg

Haha but seriously, I appreciate any help I can be given!

owl_yarly.jpg

Haha but seriously, I appreciate any help I can be given!

Haha, first off, you're only a freshman...NO NEED to stress over this stuff yet. Besides staying on top of your grades, dabble around with different opportunities this year: volunteering/service, shadowing, maybe some research, clubs whatever...and see what you like. When it comes down to it, they'll want to see things that you have enjoyed and have become invested in. Yeah a 3.8/36 is great, and yeah national/international work is great too, but these don't necessarily guarantee an acceptance. They'll want to see your drive and your character...b/c good stats and looking good on paper doesn't always equate to good physician.

Anyway...I guess my point is to seek activities that interest you and go from there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.