2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Boston/Cambridge. Love Mass Gen. Love HMS. Any love back? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love Boston/Cambridge. Love Mass Gen. Love HMS. Any love back? :xf:

The good doctors at MGH already saved my life once. I suppose I should be happy with that and cut them some slack on the med school application stuff. But I really really really wish I would hear something back from them already.

3+

i knew it was a long shot but i'm still hopeful with my fingers crossed. I'd really be happy to get into any med school but the waiting is killing me.

+4

3+

I knew it was a long shot but I'm still hopeful with my fingers crossed. I'd really be happy to get into any med school but the waiting is killing me.

Right...being accepted into any school would be like a breath of fresh air right now...This economy sucks and its not getting any better for new college students. HMS is awesome and my number one choice( like all) but as soon as I get one acceptance I'm just gonna give in!

Given that Harvard's admissions are not rolling, is there ANY advantage to submitting your secondary application sooner rather than later? It sounds like they don't even look at applications until Nov 1, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe it will look better if you apply earlier, indicate more interest in the school, show that you were diligent about getting their secondary in, etc.

Given that Harvard's admissions are not rolling, is there ANY advantage to submitting your secondary application sooner rather than later? It sounds like they don't even look at applications until Nov 1, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe it will look better if you apply earlier, indicate more interest in the school, show that you were diligent about getting their secondary in, etc.

A.)
They are interviewing now, so the Nov. 1st thing is incorrect.

B.)
Even if they weren't, submitting later puts you way at the bottom of the pile for review. There are only so many interview spots and those are "rolling" in a sense, so it definitely is not a good idea to sit on this longer than necessary.

C.) If I remember correctly, this secondary takes all of 3 minutes. There's pretty much no reason to sit on it...

Unless the fee presents a hardship to you, why would you wait? It really is an incredibly easy secondary. I don't think it took me more than 10 minutes.

Hey guys, I am really paranoid if Harvard will even look at my application so I wanted to know what you guys think. Well my stats are 4.0 and 33S (July 2010), but I go to a rather unknown college (University of Texas at El Paso) and that MCAT score was a retake (first MCAT was 22Q in April 2010). I do have summer programs (one at BWH/Harvard), extracurriculars with school and around the community, and I am an underrepresented minority (if that makes a difference). What makes me really paranoid are my MCAT scores. Some people say it looks terrible and others say it looks great, but I am not sure what to believe. What do you guys think? Also, does it really make a difference if we take hummanities courses because I have always mixed those into my course workload? My secondary is already in and complete, but I am anxiously waiting for an interview so its always nice to hear something. Thanks.

Anecdotally, an acquaintance of mine applied to Harvard and received an interview. She said her GPA and MCAT were "below the range" (dunno what that means - I'm assuming the 10/90% range reported in the MSAR) of accepted applicants. She also applied URM is a foreign citizen.

Point being: you can't do much about it now. If you have the means, might as well apply. You never know what might happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo, Harvard is the only school that has still not marked my application as complete. I submitted/finalized the secondary over 3 weeks ago (on August 31) and have still not received a complete email... Should I just keep waiting? I don't like to bug admissions if I don't have to. I just wanted to make sure this was just a usual delay, and not something to be concerned about...

Sooo, Harvard is the only school that has still not marked my application as complete. I submitted/finalized the secondary over 3 weeks ago (on August 31) and have still not received a complete email... Should I just keep waiting? I don't like to bug admissions if I don't have to. I just wanted to make sure this was just a usual delay, and not something to be concerned about...

I think it says something on the website about contacting them if after 4 weeks you aren't complete. I emailed them after about 6 weeks of being incomplete, and they marked me complete the next day. So I guess, maybe wait another week and then email them ([email protected]).

i submitted on the 15th ish and i got the complete email yesterday

Just FYI everyone, the interview window they offer you is actually kind of short - in my recent interview invite, you can interview on a selection of dates (a combination of MTRF for sure, not sure if they had weds) between now and the middle of October only. I didn't have any availability after that, so you will have to choose from dates within 4 weeks of your invite I think.

Anyways, 36/3.7c/3.5s. I think I have above average activities and "experiences," but I'm not that stellar academically. Still, yay Harvard! =D

Congratulations on your interview. Harvard takes in a whole range of scores and people - they take a very holistic approach to interviews and admission. You obviously impressed someone. Good luck!

HMS is already interviewing. While final decisions are made on a non-rolling basis, interviews are not.

I just received an interview invite here. I received the complete email at the end of August, so it does not appear that they are going in strict order (someone posted a week or so ago that they received an invite who had been complete later than me).

Ah, I didn't realize they were already interviewing. Thanks for the answers everyone.

complete: Aug 25
interview invite: Sept 24

sGPA3.88, 36Q

Hey when you guys are referring to a complete e-mail, do you mean the one I quoted below, or is there one that actually says "You are complete" ? I got this one after submitting/finalizing.

We successfully received an application from DTUD on 9/13/2010 10:15:51 PM. If you have not already done so, be sure to finalize your application when you are ready to submit it to the Committee on Admissions for review.

Hey when you guys are referring to a complete e-mail, do you mean the one I quoted below, or is there one that actually says "You are complete" ? I got this one after submitting/finalizing.

There is an actual complete e-mail with a subject line of "HMS Application Complete". Mine came about 10 days after I submitted the secondary.

ok thanks for the info, can i ask what day you submitted it ?

Invites are coming out roughly about a month after the complete email is received.

ok thanks for the info, can i ask what day you submitted it ?

My records say I submitted early August.

Invites are coming out roughly about a month after the complete email is received.

Awesome. I've already hit 6 weeks post-complete e-mail, so it doesn't look like an invite is in the dice for me. Oh well, no skin off my back. It's not like it's... Harvard.

Hey, does anybody know how late the Harvard interview day can actually go? I know they don't hand out a schedule, but they say not to book a flight out of Logan before 8pm, and the only feasible flight available for me leaves at 7pm (otherwise I'd have a 12 hour layover and have to pay an extra $150). Will this be cutting it too close?
Thanks!

Interview invite today!
Submitted 7/29
Complete 9/14
4.0 GPA, 36Q

I am in a little bit of shock, but amazingly excited.

Hey, does anybody know how late the Harvard interview day can actually go? I know they don't hand out a schedule, but they say not to book a flight out of Logan before 8pm, and the only feasible flight available for me leaves at 7pm (otherwise I'd have a 12 hour layover and have to pay an extra $150). Will this be cutting it too close?
Thanks!

I was done at 2:30 when I interviewed. I think 3 is standard, an 5 is probably the latest you would be there, but I obviously can't say for sure.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Did you all receive an email after you confirm the date with the Admissions Coordinator (not when you choose the date the first time)? Or do we assume just by confirming it (by emailing them back) that it's set?

Yeah I received a confirmation email with my chosen date. Just wait a few days.

I got one of those "Apply to HMS since you are a minority and just took the MCAT" letters in my mail today. With my stats, anyone think its worth it at this point to submit my AMCAS to them?

I got one of those "Apply to HMS since you are a minority and just took the MCAT" letters in my mail today. With my stats, anyone think its worth it at this point to submit my AMCAS to them?
Why not give it a shot? Years from now I doubt you'll be missing the 75 dollars or whatever the extra app costs. Might as well toss yourself in the running.

So, I was complete August 12th lol
Am I done?

I was complete then as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I ran into a guy on the interview trail who was complete in early August and didn't get invited until a couple of weeks ago. He said that several of his friends that applied there before and after him got invites after and before him, respectively. He seemed pretty convinced that the apps aren't reviewed in a strictly chronological order. Take that for what you will.

I feel your pain, though. It sucks.

Interview!! Complete Aug 24th, Invite Sept 28th

Last edited:
I submitted August 10, and sent an email to admissions 10 days ago, who have said my file is waiting to be processed and completed. I sent another email (I made the mistake of forgetting I had emailed them 10 days prior) and got the same answer today.

34P 3.86/3.88.

yeah, I submitted on July 29th...and am still not marked complete. I also emailed them twice and got the same answer: just wait....twice. Kind of unfair, but oh well....

Wooo Interview invite!! Stay strong group!

Sci GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 37R
Completed App: Sep 12

It's in October...so soon!!!!

Interview invite email received today. Submitted about a month ago. I saw the subject (Harvard Medical School Office of the Committee of Admissions) and figured okay... they're going to tell me I didn't get it. I'm so freakin' amazed and so happy. My stats are not necessarily "beast" stats but I poured my heart into my personal statement.

UTSA, San Antonio, TX
GPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.66
MCAT (33O): 12 PS, 9 VR, O WS, 12 BS
Extracurr. centered around hospice volunteering and tutoring.

Hope this info. gives hope to those waiting. Best of luck!!

INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted on September 13
Complete on September 21
MCAT: 33S
GPA: 4.0

So excited!! Good luck to everyone!!

I submitted August 10, and sent an email to admissions 10 days ago, who have said my file is waiting to be processed and completed. I sent another email (I made the mistake of forgetting I had emailed them 10 days prior) and got the same answer today.

34P 3.86/3.88.

So I called them, because it had been over a month since I submitted and I didn't realize you were supposed to email (like you guys did). Anyway, the woman on the phone was SO RUDE to me. Honestly, I understand that she probably has to deal with obnoxious, nervous pre-meds calling her all the time, but I was honestly just checking to see if I was missing something and I never had called before, and the woman was so amazingly impolite. I was really shocked. :thumbdown:

So I called them, because it had been over a month since I submitted and I didn't realize you were supposed to email (like you guys did). Anyway, the woman on the phone was SO RUDE to me. Honestly, I understand that she probably has to deal with obnoxious, nervous pre-meds calling her all the time, but I was honestly just checking to see if I was missing something and I never had called before, and the woman was so amazingly impolite. I was really shocked. :thumbdown:
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Try to be understanding that they all are people and deal with us "obnoxious medical students" all the time. If you happen to get an interview invite, I am sure you will have a very positive experience, and once you get accepted, you will be treated much nicer.

You might be surprised to discover, the "stuck up-ness" stereotype of top-tier schools, is not so much the case, and average schools that are trying to be top-tiered schools fit this description more often. Dont be discouraged.

If you happen to get an interview invite, I am sure you will have a very positive experience

Not true. Harvard is notorious for being very disdainful and dismissive of applicants and interviewees. Things change only AFTER you get accepted.

I had a similar experience while calling Harvard med on the phone to clarify something. On their website, they state that you must submit recommendation letters from anyone you have ever done research with. This is absolutely absurd and would mean I would have to get 5 additional letters on top of the 5 + committee letter I had. Who would actually read all that anyway?

So I called to ask them about this and the guy was completely rude, told me that I should read the website since it is all there, and did not seem to understand the absurdity of their requirements.

P.S. did anyone actually submit letters from EVERYONE they've ever done research with? i did not....

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find the correct site link to check my completion status. Does anyone know the site address?

And I too got the brochure in the mail today. Good sign, I hope?! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.