2011-2012 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Do you mind me asking when you sent in your secondary? Trying to see how long it takes from submission of 2ndary to being complete. Thanks!

Thanks! Sure no problem, I submitted my secondary on 8/27 and received a confirmation on 8/30. I know some other people who said that they received confirmation about a week after submission :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete since 7/8, so :(x2.

x3 wooooh! (7/14, IS) lol, i start laughing when i see how quick turn arounds alot of ppl have like here when ive been complete almost two months :laugh:

Congrats! I'm coming from Long Island for the interview. Any idea how reliable the express bus up Madison Avenue to Einstein is and/or how frequently it runs?

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm10cur.pdf

The very last couple pages of the PDF list all of the stops (and show a schematic)... Einstein is at the Morris Park Ave/Eastchester Rd. stop...

From midtown, on average the bus ride is ~45 mins (and the stop is literally on campus). I think the bus comes around every 30 mins, on the :08 and :38

Make sure you have $5.50 on your Metrocard (or in quarters...)

Members don't see this ad :)

The very last couple pages of the PDF list all of the stops (and show a schematic)... Einstein is at the Morris Park Ave/Eastchester Rd. stop...

From midtown, on average the bus ride is ~45 mins (and the stop is literally on campus). I think the bus comes around every 30 mins, on the :08 and :38

Also, it is very reliable I take this bus all of the time. It usually arrives early and is about 30 minutes from 59th street to Einstein.

anyone in my shoes?

submitted 8/12.... haven't been marked complete yet -__-

where do you check if your application is complete?

where do you check if your application is complete?

On the application home page (the page I see right after login), it says "Thank You! You have successfully completed the Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Secondary Application." This means the application is complete, right? Or do they actually send out an email telling you explicitly so?

On the application home page (the page I see right after login), it says "Thank You! You have successfully completed the Albert Einstein College of Medicine's Secondary Application." This means the application is complete, right? Or do they actually send out an email telling you explicitly so?

I got a separate email a few days later saying I was complete.

nah i'm pretty sure you get an email when your application is complete.
i believe that "complete" is referring to the successful completion of their secondary.. but not your entire file

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today! Very excited. I would love to go to school in NYC.

Any current students willing to share thoughts on Einstein's strengths and weaknesses? Unfortunately, I can only attend a few interviews, and I'm trying to decide if Einstein should be one of them.

Hey All,

Quick question:

Where do I find interview questions that Einstein has asked in the past (i.e., last year)? I imagine there is a forum or a post that lists common questions for each school. Any ideas where that is located?

Thanks!

Go to Interview Feedback at the top of this page and find the school. Lots of good info.

Any current students willing to share thoughts on Einstein's strengths and weaknesses? Unfortunately, I can only attend a few interviews, and I'm trying to decide if Einstein should be one of them.

haha i wish i had this problem

haha i wish i had this problem

Thanks. I feel really lucky. But I wasn't trying to rub anything in; I'm just looking for some good information. I'm a little concerned about the area and want to know more about the opportunities provided by the school.

Thanks. I feel really lucky. But I wasn't trying to rub anything in; I'm just looking for some good information. I'm a little concerned about the area and want to know more about the opportunities provided by the school.

I wouldn't be concerned about the area (Morris Park neighborhood) - it's very safe. Is it shiny and pretty like Midtown? Not really, but it has some good things going for it. The first half of this NYTimes article should suffice: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/realestate/30livi.html?pagewanted=all

As for opportunities, what are you interested in? Einstein is one of the best places for global health opportunities. Einstein also just opened a $220 million research building 2-3 years ago, and they've pulled quite a few researchers away from the Manhattan schools (NIH money is fairly comparable to NYU/Sinai last I checked). Primary care is another strong suit of the school.

Good luck to everyone interviewing at Einstein this week - enjoy yourself! :)

LeoGer-What is it that concerns you about the area? I'll echo what Obliquity said--if it's safety you're concerned about, don't be. Dig around a little bit and you'll find that the Bronx is not nearly as dangerous of a place as most people who live outside of NY think it is. Like every other borough in NYC, it has its not-so-great areas, but Morris Park isn't one of them. It's a pretty residential, quiet, middle-class neighborhood. It's one of the safest areas of the Bronx, and I walk around by myself at various times of the day and night and never feel unsafe. Some areas of Morris Park are actually pretty, with tree-lined streets, brownstones, etc.

If your concern is that the area is too quiet, I definitely wouldn't let that stop you. Nearly the entire medical school lives together, which basically means there are plenty of opportunities to hang out with friends or go out at all times. There are a few bars and a decent number of restaurants in the area, and so far I've found it really easy to get into Manhattan: 10-15 min walk to the 6 train, which runs the length of Manhattan and into Brooklyn, reasonably easy access to the 5, and the bxm10 stops right outside your door. It'll take you as far as midtown, and it's a short walk or subway ride if you want to go further downtown. I've gone into Manhattan every weekend so far, and it's only a ~20 minute bus ride to the upper east side (drops you off on Museum Mile by the Met, Guggenheim, etc.) and 30 minutes or so to midtown if you're going during off-hours (i.e., when traffic isn't bad). You also have things like Bronx Zoo/Botanical Gardens, Yankee Stadium, Orchard Beach, City Island, etc. a few miles away if that's your thing.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you dig through last year's thread. I seem to remember quite a few posts (especially from zebalong) describing some of the great things about Einstein. If I wasn't studying for exams, I'd be happy to write about some of the things I like about it so far, but feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
...oh, and good luck to everyone with interviews coming up. Try to relax, this will more than likely be one of your most low-stress interview days, and your shortest one at that. Also, be sure to read through the links that admissions probably emailed you with info. I didn't, and missed a few interesting things, like the fact that you can get a second interview on the spot if you weren't happy with your first one, or that you can request meetings with various people if you want more information, etc.

Have fun. I'm giving a few of the tours, so I'll be seeing some of you around.

Also, it is very reliable I take this bus all of the time. It usually arrives early and is about 30 minutes from 59th street to Einstein.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

I have been complete since aug 23rd still no word

I just received an e-mail from AECOM saying that 2/4 of my letters of recommendation were not received with official university letterhead. I've contacted my professors via e-mail to hopefully resubmit the letters after this is fixed. However, it took them roughly 3 months to get the letters submitted in the first place. And on top of that, this is the time when most professors take their vacations (quarter system school). Am I screwed? Will this affect me at other schools as well?

I just received an e-mail from AECOM saying that 2/4 of my letters of recommendation were not received with official university letterhead. I've contacted my professors via e-mail to hopefully resubmit the letters after this is fixed. However, it took them roughly 3 months to get the letters submitted in the first place. And on top of that, this is the time when most professors take their vacations (quarter system school). Am I screwed? Will this affect me at other schools as well?

I had the same problem with one of my professors last month for another school; I wouldn't panic. It would definitely be a good idea to have them upload a new letter to AMCAS as soon as they can. IIRC, a lot of schools require official letterhead and signature. But after your professors upload the letters, I believe the schools just download them again from AMCAS and replace the old ones.

I have been complete since aug 23rd still no word

complete since July 29; no AECOM love for me as of yet. I have other interviews to keep my spirits (and hopes) high... but I would love to interview here. I love that they are so in tune to their student's needs, and they seem to have a special place in their hearts for nontraditional students. I hope they give this mommy medical student a chance to shine!

Heads up that BU also requires this. I was put on hold there for no letterhead but they were quick to place me back in the queue once received.

Quiet since my July 28 completion....come on give me an interview!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, I have a question about letters. I am wondering whether or not I am considered a post-bac student. I graduated with a History degree, and then I went back to school to take necessary pre-med courses. But it wasn't an official post-bac program, it was just me taking the necessary classes.

So my question is, on the supplementary, do I click "yes" for non-post bac student, or "yes" for post-bac? The reason I ask is, I just called the office of admissions, and the lady really didn't seem to get what I was asking. And she was pretty rude and impatient too. She told me that if I am a post-bac then I need a letter from the program. I told her I wasn't in a program, I just took classes. Then she said, ok then you're not a post-bac. Then I asked her if I need a dean's letter, and she said yes every applicant needs a dean's letter, which also confused me.

I'm so confused now. Can anybody please help me out on this?

Invited for interview. . . really excited! It took about a little under a month for the reply.

Excited for my interview! Oct 24
OOS 3.3, 38Q

:)

I have my interview tomorrow! Very excited to visit the school.

So on the admissions website it says:
"REQUIREMENTS:
One year, including laboratory instruction, of each of the following:
Biological Sciences
General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Physics
There are acceptable alternatives to the traditional one year organic chemistry sequence, e.g. one semester of Biochemistry can substitute for the second semester of Organic Chemistry."

I have one acceleration General Chemistry credit from high school (but not sure if that counts?), one semester of General Chemistry (with lab), and then one semester of Biochemistry (with lab). Does this fulfill the requirement for Gen Chem?
I was unclear because the only "acceptable alternative" they gave on the website was for Biochem to replace 2nd semester Orgo...
Thanks!

Does anybody know if Albert Einstein's interviews are open file or closed file?

Status
Not open for further replies.