2011-2012 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh hey Harvard... what's up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully they print their rejection letters on nice paper.

The rejection letters were emails last go round... but they're very nice iirc

Last edited:
With the amount of rejections they dish out, I doubt they can afford that many sheets of nice paper (or cupcakes).:laugh::idea:

Oh come on... it's Harvard. They could afford printing rejections on parchment.

And I'm tossing my hat in here, too. At least I can say I got a rejection from Hawvawd.

I applied MSTP to Harvard. I have an ice cube's chance on Venus of getting accepted, given my GPA, and while my MCAT may compensate for that to some extent, they could probably fill their whole class with people with 39+ MCAT and 3.9+ GPA. Sobering.

Still, you'll never know if you don't try, and at $30 + secondary fee, the odds are considerably better than playing the lottery. (Although the lottery never made anyone write an essay.)

I decided to apply after reading the MSAR on their selection criteria and it referenced integrity, matruity, life experience, and leadership potential. They worst they can say is no. And like Gnomes said, it is only $33 plus the secondary fee as a max cash outlay. I live within driving distance if I were to get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also throwing my hat in. My MCAT is just borderline for them (35), GPA is a mixed bag with Harvard worthy stuff happening within the last two years and terrible, terrible stuff before that. As a nontrad, I've got all that maturity stuff they talk about (I think).

You think they look at nontrads as a separate applicant pool and compare us against one another?

Also throwing my hat in. My MCAT is just borderline for them (35), GPA is a mixed bag with Harvard worthy stuff happening within the last two years and terrible, terrible stuff before that. As a nontrad, I've got all that maturity stuff they talk about (I think).

You think they look at nontrads as a separate applicant pool and compare us against one another?

No I don't think a school like Harvard does that.

I applied MSTP to Harvard. I have an ice cube's chance on Venus of getting accepted, given my GPA, and while my MCAT may compensate for that to some extent, they could probably fill their whole class with people with 39+ MCAT and 3.9+ GPA. Sobering.

Still, you'll never know if you don't try, and at $30 + secondary fee, the odds are considerably better than playing the lottery. (Although the lottery never made anyone write an essay.)

I decided to apply after reading the MSAR on their selection criteria and it referenced integrity, matruity, life experience, and leadership potential. They worst they can say is no. And like Gnomes said, it is only $33 plus the secondary fee as a max cash outlay. I live within driving distance if I were to get an interview.

Incoming MS1 Reporting for duty at the behest of myuu's thread in preallo. Will be around to answer legitimate questions during the school year. Unless I get really busy, in which case there are a few other HMS-ers around but it's up to them if they want to contribute.

I'm not going to be answering any questions on "how to get in" except to say that cooper is on to something.

Remember: Harvard could easily be WashU (statwhores, also, not dissing washu, it's a great school) if they wanted to. But they're not.

Awesome - I love to hear current students' thoughts.

How is the atmosphere at Harvard? Do the professors and the students seem to have a good rapport? With so many faculty (and distinguished!) do you actually get taught by them, or by their assistants?

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

Remember: Harvard could easily be WashU (statwhores, also, not dissing washu, it's a great school) if they wanted to. But they're not.

How much do you think your 39 helped you?

Awesome - I love to hear current students' thoughts.

How is the atmosphere at Harvard? Do the professors and the students seem to have a good rapport? With so many faculty (and distinguished!) do you actually get taught by them, or by their assistants?

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

Sorry, incoming MS1. I can give you an answer to that in a few months, but not right now. Classes don't start until Aug 15.

I think it legitimized my education. My school was formerly Tier 3 (although moved up to Tier 1 during app season) on USNWR. I didn't get the feeling that it would be the sole reason I was accepted by any means. I'm sure there are plenty of people with higher mcat/gpa combos for hms if they wanted to do the stats thing.

I think it legitimized my education. My school was formerly Tier 3 (although moved up to Tier 1 during app season) on USNWR. I didn't get the feeling that it would be the sole reason I was accepted by any means. I'm sure there are plenty of people with higher mcat/gpa combos for hms if they wanted to do the stats thing.

This - my school did the same. It was T3 or T2 when I applied, but now it's edged up to T1. I do wonder if that makes a difference.

As an incoming MS1 - how were your interviews? Casual, or formal? Did they make an effort to put you at ease? Any off-the-wall questions?

Sorry for being a noob, but how do you find out your school's tier? I see the US News Rankings, but I don't see it say anything about the tier.

Go to USNews and search for your UG. Check the number - I believe under # 200 means Tier 1.

Honestly I think you have to break mid 30's to be competitive at these schools (obviously there will be exceptions) but that's just reality. Top schools are top schools for a reason.

How would any current students comment on the whole Baltimore vs.Boston thing? (city life, etc.)

This - my school did the same. It was T3 or T2 when I applied, but now it's edged up to T1. I do wonder if that makes a difference.

As an incoming MS1 - how were your interviews? Casual, or formal? Did they make an effort to put you at ease? Any off-the-wall questions?

I don't think schools really check USNWR often enough to really care about it moving up in one year. I think name recognition is important for your degree, but not nearly as important as the rest of your application.

The interviews were very casual. They asked me about the stuff on my application. Talked a lot about things I was interested in and things that HMS seems more interested in than some other md schools (i.e. politics and economics) No off the wall questions or anything too stressful. I actually tried to show one of my interviewers my youtube video afterward, but the hospital didn't have flash installed :(

Sorry for being a noob, but how do you find out your school's tier? I see the US News Rankings, but I don't see it say anything about the tier.

Anything in top 200? is Tier 1. Everything else is grouped by tiers. Don't put too much weight into it. I know I mentioned it, but only in the fact that it was a relatively unknown state school.

Go to USNews and search for your UG. Check the number - I believe under # 200 means Tier 1.
yep

PS: my mdapps downplays everything. Don't use it as a gauge or anything. I feel like HMS really values being intensely your own person with lots of leadership xp and other interests etc. (this is true for a lot of other top schools, too)

PPS: I got in off the WL. It actually happens.

Has anyone received the secondary? Thanks.

Last year the secondary went out the last week of July. We have a bit of time. Do other secondaries while you wait.

flowrate what's the deal with a PI writing a LOR?

I do clinical research and have some pubs in process, would this be acceptable or are they looking for a basic science mentors to write LOR? sorry if this seems like a dumb question

flowrate what's the deal with a PI writing a LOR?

I do clinical research and have some pubs in process, would this be acceptable or are they looking for a basic science mentors to write LOR? sorry if this seems like a dumb question

I did basic sci research in engineering and used that PI, but I see no reason why a clinical research PI would not be acceptable. HMS, like pretty much every other (research) med school, supports clinical research as much as it does basic, as far as I can tell.

When you're applying, the LOR requirements are a little scary, or at least they were for me and some of my friends. They sound very strict and specific. After going through the process, I find that only douchebag schools are super super picky about the LOR's, and I personally did not have any (confirmed?) bad experiences with LOR's. Use your clinical research PI and you will be fine--bonus points if you've worked with them for a while (likely) or if they've taught you a class.

do you forreal need one from every PI you've ever worked with?

I did basic sci research in engineering and used that PI, but I see no reason why a clinical research PI would not be acceptable. HMS, like pretty much every other (research) med school, supports clinical research as much as it does basic, as far as I can tell.

When you're applying, the LOR requirements are a little scary, or at least they were for me and some of my friends. They sound very strict and specific. After going through the process, I find that only douchebag schools are super super picky about the LOR's, and I personally did not have any (confirmed?) bad experiences with LOR's. Use your clinical research PI and you will be fine--bonus points if you've worked with them for a while (likely) or if they've taught you a class.

great--thanks. you're spot on with LOR reqs, they are confusing/intimidating the crap out of me for these top schools. That's why I wanted to confirm with you!

I think I vaguely remember that stipulation on HMS' website. If it says so, just do it. Hopefully you have a good relation with all your PI's, or at least the ones you mentioned on AMCAS. I only had one so I don't remember worrying about that.
I already had my 2 previous PI's write letters of rec for me and sent them off but I am doing a summer internship now with a new PI. Should I ask him for a letter at the end of it and send it as an update? Would 3 PI letters be excessive? Thanks! :)

I already had my 2 previous PI's write letters of rec for me and sent them off but I am doing a summer internship now with a new PI. Should I ask him for a letter at the end of it and send it as an update? Would 3 PI letters be excessive? Thanks! :)

in the same boat as you :thumbup:

in the same boat as you :thumbup:

If you already submitted your AMCAS, include them as updates either in mid-late September, if they're only summer jobs or if you don't have an interview invite by then, or in December/January if they're all-year jobs and you already have an invite. (february is getting close to the magic 3/15)

If you already submitted your AMCAS, include them as updates either in mid-late September, if they're only summer jobs or if you don't have an interview invite by then, or in December/January if they're all-year jobs and you already have an invite. (february is getting close to the magic 3/15)
Perfect! Thanks for the advice. One more question - When did you get an interview invite?

My premed advisor recommended, despite what the HMS website says, to only include PI letters from research experiences that are recent and significant to you.

Her source: meetings with admissions people at HMS.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. One more question - When did you get an interview invite?
I don't remember exactly. I think I interviewed there in Oct or Nov, probably got my invite in Sept or Oct.

My premed advisor recommended, despite what the HMS website says, to only include PI letters from research experiences that are recent and significant to you.

Her source: meetings with admissions people at HMS.
That makes a lot of sense. I meant to post a statement getting at that: if you have tons of research experiences, it might not be prudent to list them all on AMCAS; I was going to say include ones that you included on AMCAS, if they were that significant. Either way, I agree with what you said :)

has anyone heard anything yet? i haven't even gotten a confirmation that they've received my application

I just got it late this afternoon. No essays unless you've already graduated or taken time off.

I don't remember exactly. I think I interviewed there in Oct or Nov, probably got my invite in Sept or Oct.

That makes a lot of sense. I meant to post a statement getting at that: if you have tons of research experiences, it might not be prudent to list them all on AMCAS; I was going to say include ones that you included on AMCAS, if they were that significant. Either way, I agree with what you said :)

Regarding the research letter: I was wondering if most of my interactions were with one of the research technicians of the lab, do any of you know if it would be OK with Harvard adcom to get the technician to write the letter and then have the PI cosign it? The reason why I am asking is that I worked in their lab more than 3 years ago so I'm not sure how well the PI (or even the research technician) remembers me.

Regarding the research letter: I was wondering if most of my interactions were with one of the research technicians of the lab, do any of you know if it would be OK with Harvard adcom to get the technician to write the letter and then have the PI cosign it? The reason why I am asking is that I worked in their lab more than 3 years ago so I'm not sure how well the PI (or even the research technician) remembers me.
This is a really common question. Did you do anything of value there? If they don't remember you, then did you contribute anything? Why list it on your AMCAS if it's not memorable?

Anyway, PI preferred, lab tech discouraged. This is not limited to Harvard.

This is a really common question. Did you do anything of value there? If they don't remember you, then did you contribute anything? Why list it on your AMCAS if it's not memorable?

Anyway, PI preferred, lab tech discouraged. This is not limited to Harvard.

It's not that they don't remember me, in fact I asked my PI if she would serve as a reference for the activities section and she was fine with that. I just know from experience professors tend not to want to write letters of recommendation unless they know you really well, regardless of whether they remember you or not. I think I did contribute to a certain extent since I worked many hours and wrote a paper to receive credit for the experience. It was my very first research experience so to me it was important because it helped me figure out what I wanted in research (and thus why I listed it on there).

But thanks for your advice -- in fact, I think I will try asking her directly then hopefully she will be ok - in general though, how long do these letters need to be, would you recommend reassuring her by saying it doesn't need to be very long? (Honestly I feel my other letters would be more important anyways, I guess I'm just trying to fulfill a requirement in this case?).

Does Harvard screen pre-secondary?

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=applicationapply

Harvard Medical School Secondary Application

• Instructions for completing the on-line secondary application are automatically mailed out to all AMCAS applicants.
  • Deadline for filing the secondary application:
    The secondary application must be submitted no later than:
    November 1, 2011 11:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.
  • Application fee: $85 (automatically waived for AMCAS Fee Waiver recipients)

Status
Not open for further replies.