2011-2012 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the University of Chicago in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity.

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker.
*We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What up, Pritzker applicants?!

I'm an entering first year and will probably be following this thread throughout the cycle. I know nothing about being an actual student seeing as how we don't start until August, but I'd be happy to help out with application questions as much as I can.

Good luck! Pritzker is awesome!

What up, Pritzker applicants?!

I'm an entering first year and will probably be following this thread throughout the cycle. I know nothing about being an actual student seeing as how we don't start until August, but I'd be happy to help out with application questions as much as I can.

Good luck! Pritzker is awesome!

NickNaylor aka Cole aka Weezy Fan I think I might apply here, definitely have heard good things about the student atmosphere being laid back, etc. and Chi-Town is tight.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few tips for you applicants:

Be sure to check out the admissions website (http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/) - it's actually very helpful and can give you a lot of great information about the school. I would definitely recommend reading through the FAQs in their entirety.

The Pritzker Podcast (http://pritzkerpodcast.com/) is a fantastic resource for a whole bunch of information about Pritzker. It's probably a bit premature for you guys to check out since it deals with a lot of particulars about the school, but it was useful for me when it came time to ultimately choose a school. The creator actually posts on SDN occasionally (nosugrefneb).

As you'll see, there are two things that I think are very important to Pritzker: diversity and "fit." Diversity is not in the traditional socioeconomic sense, so if you're a middle class, white male, don't worry - you're not going to be docked diversity points. The secondary essay would definitely be a great place to talk about these things.

Pritzker has very generous merit scholarships, so don't be scared off by the price. I have yet to meet anyone that hasn't received a very significant scholarship. The financial aid/admissions department has $10 million in merit scholarships to distribute to the 88-person class (compare that to Michigan, for example, which awards only $1 million for its 150+ person class). Yeah, they make it rain.

If you have any questions, please ask! Best of luck!

NickNaylor aka cole. Now that you got in, can I steal your identity and apply? I promise I won't apply here, just to other schools. PLEASE????

I want to, definitely dig the smaller class size.

on the flip side they only interview ~11% of OOS applicants according to the recent msar.....:scared:

That really doesn't sound right. They don't have an IS or OOS preference.

Edit: in the FAQ they mention that the majority of applicants (and, thus, a majority of matriculants) come from Illinois, so it's selection bias, not a bias encouraged by the school.

NickNaylor aka cole. Now that you got in, can I steal your identity and apply? I promise I won't apply here, just to other schools. PLEASE????

lolya

NickNaylor, can you elaborate on what you mean when you say Pritzker looks for "diversity"? Do you think that someone with significantly lower stats (GPA and mcat) that Pritzker's average, but has an otherwise solid application, is nontraditional, and has a story to tell should apply? The numbers just seem to deter me. Also, what do you mean by "fit"/i.e. what types of students do you see going there? How is the competitive atmosphere there? I remember hearing horror stories about UChicago undergrad and didn't even end up applyign there b/c I heard of kids ripping pages out of the library books so others couldn't have access to them. Ugh.

NickNaylor, can you elaborate on what you mean when you say Pritzker looks for "diversity"? Do you think that someone with significantly lower stats (GPA and mcat) that Pritzker's average, but has an otherwise solid application, is nontraditional, and has a story to tell should apply? The numbers just seem to deter me. Also, what do you mean by "fit"/i.e. what types of students do you see going there? How is the competitive atmosphere there? I remember hearing horror stories about UChicago undergrad and didn't even end up applyign there b/c I heard of kids ripping pages out of the library books so others couldn't have access to them. Ugh.

With respect to whether or not you should apply, I really have no idea. I would recommend doing so because you never know how things will go. However, if your numbers are significantly lower than the averages for a school (any school, not just Pritzker) you have to be realistic about your expectations. Only you can decide whether or not it would be worth it for you to apply.

As far as competition, again, I'm not actually a student (yet), but I was told by multiple current students that the atmosphere and culture of Pritzker is NOTHING like that of the undergrad. I heard the same horror stories you did regarding undergrad students, but the med students assured us that this absolutely isn't the case at the medical school. I'm sure the P/F in years 1, 2 and 4 also helps minimize the competition.

This is my dream school. I'm definitely applying because you never know, but thinking realistically. I would :love: love :love: to go here!

Is it individual, panel interviews or group panel interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it individual, panel interviews or group panel interviews?

Assuming they keep things the same, you'll have three individual interviews: one with a student, one with a faculty member, and one with an admissions committee member. Each has varying amounts of access to your application, though I'm not sure exactly how this breaks down.

Just read through the FAQ and ran into something that I thought I didn't have to do:

"Regarding traffic violations, we ask that you include any ticket of greater severity than a parking violation. If you are in doubt on any of the above, err on the side of inclusion."

Do we really have to include a speeding ticket or stop sign roll through? Weird.

But anyways, can't wait to apply here! I love Chicago so really looking forward to the opportunity to fly there again! :xf:

how long is each interview?

haha, i heard those rumors about johns hopkins!
as a former uchicago undergrad, they're not true.

Any thoughts on U. Chicago versus Northwestern?

Any thoughts on U. Chicago versus Northwestern?

Take this with a grain of salt because I know nothing about Northwestern other than what I've heard from other people. I've heard the two described as polar opposites in many ways; NW has a much different patient population (e.g., rich) than Chicago. NW is also located right in the heart of downtown, so you're in a much more flashy, glitzy area, which actually might be an advantage depending on how you look at it (I would imagine the cost of attendance would be much higher). The two communities the schools are in are very different.

Like any two schools, it really comes down to what you think. If you're interested in both schools, apply to both and see how things end up. Like I said, though, the rumor is that they're very different, and people who like one institution probably wouldn't like the other.

Cole (I still can't get used to NickNaylor), I know you had a very successful application season. How did you feel Pritzker was compared to other schools that you interviewed? I didn't really know about Pritzker until last year, but its stats seem to be pretty high based on MSAR, similar to Ivy Leagues. Is it really based on stats you think (I know you had a really good MCAT score though...)? I just don't want to waste my money on school who may do "unofficial" cutoffs based on stats.

Cole (I still can't get used to NickNaylor), I know you had a very successful application season. How did you feel Pritzker was compared to other schools that you interviewed? I didn't really know about Pritzker until last year, but its stats seem to be pretty high based on MSAR, similar to Ivy Leagues. Is it really based on stats you think (I know you had a really good MCAT score though...)? I just don't want to waste my money on school who may do "unofficial" cutoffs based on stats.

I really have no idea. I will say that if you meet their "numbers requirement" - whatever that may be - fit and personal characteristics seem to be of great importance. I'm not trying to imply that numbers are no longer are important once you get an interview (they may or may not be depending on how the adcom functions), but I think your interview and secondary essays are very important.

I guess things that stood out as "unique" to me on the interview day were 1) the way in which the admissions staff treated applicants and 2) the importance of the academic community as a whole in the educational experience. With respect to #1, while I did attend interview days where applicants were treated well, none really surpassed the Pritzker day IMO. The fact that they treat their applicants that well makes me think they treat their accepted students that much better. With respect to #2, this is one of those things that Pritzker hypes quite a bit - the school seems to take great pride in being within a larger academic division and being so closely affiliated with the other units of the university. That was important to me because I wanted to continue to pursue a few of my interests from undergrad once I entered med school, and without a closely affiliated undergrad that wouldn't be possible. I also didn't want to be a part of some institution all on its own (e.g., Cornell, Columbia somewhat, many state schools, etc.). Whether or not that actually impacts the culture of the institution, who knows, but it's definitely something I didn't see anywhere else. I imagine that's probably not an important factor for many if not most people, though.

I would say apply if it seems like a place for you. I'd say that as long as you're in the 10-90% block in the MSAR you've got a chance. In the big scheme of things it's an additional $100 in the jar with the primary and secondary fees; by the time the process is done, that'll basically be nothing in comparison. I never would've known about Pritzker had I not been invited to the interview - that's really what impressed me about the school. And you can't get to the interview unless you apply.

Major reach for me, but I am very much interested. :D

I'm applying here. Relevant.

Submitting my AMCAS tonight.

Take this with a grain of salt because I know nothing about Northwestern other than what I've heard from other people. I've heard the two described as polar opposites in many ways; NW has a much different patient population (e.g., rich) than Chicago. NW is also located right in the heart of downtown, so you're in a much more flashy, glitzy area, which actually might be an advantage depending on how you look at it (I would imagine the cost of attendance would be much higher). The two communities the schools are in are very different.

Like any two schools, it really comes down to what you think. If you're interested in both schools, apply to both and see how things end up. Like I said, though, the rumor is that they're very different, and people who like one institution probably wouldn't like the other.

I know I am a newbie on this site, but I feel like I can contribute to th Pritzker vs Feinberg debate as it is currently consuming all of my brain power. I was accepted at both schools (and am currently deciding between the two- actually a VERY difficult decision). I agree that they are very different schools. Here's my two cents:

If you are unsure I would suggest applying to both. I actually didn't think I would like Northwestern because I though that they might be snobbish (I applied for undergrad- not the best experience). Regardless, I went to the interview day and they completely changed my perspective on the school. It was AMAZING. I figured I would really like UofC prior to the interview and lo and behold- it is still tied for my top choice. Granted, I didn't apply anywhere outside of the mid-west because I knew I wanted to be in Chicago.

Northwestern actually has a very diverse population of patients because they have a Level I Trauma center. A lot of patients come from all over the city because of this, so you see everyone from the rich and the fabulous to the indigent populations. So in this respect, there is a little something for everyone. I've toured their Prentice Hospital (the women's hospital), and as NickNaylor said it is pretty flashy (but I thought it was awesome!). UofC doesn't have the Level I Trauma, but they do have a lot of diversity and probably have better research facilities.

I would say that the biggest difference between the two schools is that Northwestern is more clinically oriented while UofC is more research oriented. For someone who likes to do both things (like me), this makes the choice between the two very difficult. Also, their teaching styles are quite different (PBL at NU, traditional lectures at UofC). In college I went to lecture and then studied the material in a group- thus this distinction between PBL and lecture is a wash for me. I learn both ways.

Location. Hyde Park has more of a neighborhood feel (brownstones, grass, TREES!), and Streeterville is all high rises and is 2 blocks from Michigan Ave near the Gold Coast (although the beach nearby is nice bonus feature).

The other thing to consider is reputation- I feel like UofC is more internationally known for research. A lot of the physicians I talk to in Chicago seem to think that going to UofC will land you a better residency, but in my opinion it's a wash between the two schools. Plus, you should rarely make a decision based on rankings and reputation, especially when the schools are so closely ranked.

As for cost of attendance, I believe that UofC is significantly more expensive than NU for the last 2 years (you should check my facts). I'll bet this makes up for the difference in cost of living. But like NickNaylor says, UofC is known for being generous with financial aid.

Hope this helps!

Assuming they keep things the same, you'll have three individual interviews: one with a student, one with a faculty member, and one with an admissions committee member. Each has varying amounts of access to your application, though I'm not sure exactly how this breaks down.

The interviews were all 30 minutes long, at least for me. One thing that impressed me at Pritzker was how well the interviewers knew my application. They were very organized and very prepared to ask meaningful questions. They definitely are serious about getting to know who you are and what you're about. They're also the only school I applied to that actually requested update letters. They take the admission process very seriously and make sure things don't get looked over.

Yes include it and make sure you DOUBLE CHECK to see if a ticket you've gotten counts as a minor misdemeanor or not...I (and other people) have posted this on here before but in certain states a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor (ex. Ohio). That means that you should be including it on your AMCAS application too. If you don't and it shows up in your background check bad things can happen...

Don't worry about it though, nobody cares about your speeding ticket. It came up in a few of my interviews but the questions were mostly to make sure I didn't get anything else like reckless driving, DUI, etc. A standard speeding ticket shouldn't affect you at all.

If you're unsure about anything, buy a background check from Certiphi on yourself. That's the same company the schools use, and that way you can be sure you understand exactly how anything is seen if it shows up on your background report.

The Pritzker Podcast (http://pritzkerpodcast.com/) is a fantastic resource for a whole bunch of information about Pritzker. It's probably a bit premature for you guys to check out since it deals with a lot of particulars about the school, but it was useful for me when it came time to ultimately choose a school. The creator actually posts on SDN occasionally (nosugrefneb).

What up, people.

The interviews were all 30 minutes long, at least for me. One thing that impressed me at Pritzker was how well the interviewers knew my application. They were very organized and very prepared to ask meaningful questions. They definitely are serious about getting to know who you are and what you're about. They're also the only school I applied to that actually requested update letters. They take the admission process very seriously and make sure things don't get looked over.

I like the sounds of this. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the pritzker secondary site? I get this error: The AAMC ID, Last Name, Birthdate, and E-mail Address you entered did not result in a match for the 2011 Application Cycle.

We're on the 2012 cycle!

I got two emails from Pritzker today. the first one is below, and the second one was an official invite to fill out the secondary....hilarious.

Dear tripledouble:
Your AMCAS application has been submitted to the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine after our October 15, 2011, deadline. You will not be able to submit an AMCAS application to Pritzker for 2012 matriculation. After December 1, 2011 we will review all materials received related to your application and make an interview decision at that time.
We appreciate your interest in Pritzker.
Best wishes,
Anthony G. Montag
Associate Dean for Admissions
Professor of Pathology and Surgery

Sylvia Robertson
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid

Yup. I got those same two emails. I emailed them to bring it to their attention.

I've gotten zero emails. Also, would anyone mind posting this secondary link?

On Pritzker's website, it says "Within 2 business days after you submit your primary application to AMCAS you will receive an email from us with a link to our online secondary web site, which you should fill out and submit to us online."

I haven't received an email yet...Has anyone else heard from them?

An email (well two contradictory emails) came out this morning. However, the site isn't working yet. Still shows a 2011 login error.

Remain calm - I'm sure they're aware of the issue and will get it resolved quickly. Keep in mind that they're still working on applications from this past cycle, so they're trying to manage the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. There will probably be a few bumps at first.

Also, something to keep in mind: once they start reviewing applications, things seem to go very fast, at least they did last year. People would be complete and get decisions within a few days initially. I personally was complete in the morning one day and received an interview invite later that afternoon. I'm not guaranteeing that that will happen, but don't be surprised (for you later submitters) if you get a decision back pretty quickly. And if you don't get a quick decision, don't take that as a "oh noes I must be rejected." There are a myriad of factors that could be in play.

Yea, I'm sure we'll all be updated once the app system is ready to go. I'm not worrying too much about it.

Remain calm - I'm sure they're aware of the issue and will get it resolved quickly. Keep in mind that they're still working on applications from this past cycle, so they're trying to manage the end of one cycle and the beginning of another. There will probably be a few bumps at first.

Also, something to keep in mind: once they start reviewing applications, things seem to go very fast, at least they did last year. People would be complete and get decisions within a few days initially. I personally was complete in the morning one day and received an interview invite later that afternoon. I'm not guaranteeing that that will happen, but don't be surprised (for you later submitters) if you get a decision back pretty quickly. And if you don't get a quick decision, don't take that as a "oh noes I must be rejected." There are a myriad of factors that could be in play.
+1. it also pays to be proactive in getting your app in to them asap.

It seems to be up now. Got an email from them this afternoon. Make sure to use the exact 2012 URL that is in the email.

It seems to be up now. Got an email from them this afternoon. Make sure to use the exact 2012 URL that is in the email.

Can you fill out the secondary without receiving the email? If so, mind posting the link? Thanks! :)

if i got verified monday morning should I have received a secondary by now?

I was having the same problem but I was able to access it by copying and pasting the link into a browser, rather than clicking it and having it automatically directed.

I was having the same problem but I was able to access it by copying and pasting the link into a browser, rather than clicking it and having it automatically directed.

This made it work for me too. Try it.

Also, I'm not verified yet, but I got their secondary, so watch out for it if you have submitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.