2011-2012 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouly try and work on guiding the conversation and connecting things you want to say to their questions and move the direction to what you want to talk about

If only you'd been in the room...

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! IS/OOS? What day did you interview? When was it postmarked? :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that I should remember this from interview day, but do they give financial aid info with the acceptance? Or does that come in March?

I'm IS and I interviewed on October 7th. THe letter was postmarked on 12/15. The letter states that "financial aid information will be forwarded to you as soon as they are available." And they include the UNMC financial aid phone # and website, along with a brochure for the Air Force Health Scholarship.

Accepted via snail mail today. I also interviewed on October 7th and am OOS.

Accepted! with partial tuition scholarship for my first year

anybody get anything postmarked 01/05? just asking cuz I'm thinking they might be meeting on Wednesdays and sending letters on Thursdays...

I don't think they've met again, yet. Going by threads from previous years, it looks like they'll send out some more acceptances next week.

Did anyone else receive an email request for a criminal background check that has not been notified of an acceptance yet? I got one today and don't know what to make of it, and I'm assuming it was requested by Nebraska because the other schools I have interviewed at haven't gotten to my application yet.

I did! I called today to ask and mine was an acceptance - they were really busy (interview day) and said it was in the mail and AAMC wasn't supposed to beat them to the punch

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 12/2, and I received the criminal background check email on the 13th also, but I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet... I'm hoping I'll get something soon!

update: got the letter in the mail -- ACCEPTED!!!

Last edited:
I just got a rejection letter from UNMC... I'm a bit devastated and unsure on how to proceed. I still have a few med schools up in the air but haven't had any interviews yet. What are some people's stats that got in, just curious.

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85
I'm a nebraska resident that is still at UNO

I have volunteer experience AT UNMC as well as some research experience AT UNMC. I'm feeling stabbed in the back right now. Anybody have any advice for me?

I just got a rejection letter from UNMC... I'm a bit devastated and unsure on how to proceed. I still have a few med schools up in the air but haven't had any interviews yet. What are some people's stats that got in, just curious.

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85

I have volunteer experience AT UNMC as well as some research experience AT UNMC. I'm feeling stabbed in the back right now. Anybody have any advice for me?

Wow. That's very shocking, especially because you are IS. How did the interview go? That's the only thing I can think of that would severely impact your chances.

The best thing you can do now is ask the admissions office about potential flaws in your application, fix them, and reapply next year. Best of luck to you.

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85

I am IS (3.83, 28), got an acceptance about a week ago. Since you haven't had any other interviews yet, with stats that high, I would assume that there is something funky with your application. Maybe a LOR, ECs, personal statement... I would definitely try to send updates to the schools that you haven't received an interview with yet. But I would also talk to UNMC about why you didn't get in, so you can address whatever the issue is.

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85

I am sorry to hear this as well. When did you have your interview?

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85

what are you majoring in? people say major doesn't matter, but it does, especially at UNMC, because science majors (especially biology) are generally given preference...

also, was all of your volunteering/research experience ONLY at UNMC? if so, you might want to diversify...and also do NON-HEALTH related volunteering.

I'm also a Nebraska resident (30ish MCAT, 3.78GPA at Emory U., chemistry major), I applied in 2010 and didn't get in (they sent me a rejection at the last minute...like March 15), and then I called them in April and they (meaning Gigi Rogers) told me that my main problem was lack of health-related volunteer experience. I had already knew that personally, and by that point I already had nearly one year of health-related experience because I started volunteering (at a hospital) one month before I started my application, and I have continued up until now...I've also been working as an entry-level biotech researcher since then, and I've gotten a couple of acceptances this time from other schools but am still waiting on UNMC...

MCAT-31
GPA-3.85

ARE U A FELON? if not, make sure to rant about your love of the sandhills, buffalo, and family medicine and give it a go next year

Last edited:
Does anyone know how their financial aid scholarships work? Do they only give them on a year to year basis? And if they do, is it likely to be renewed every year?

I am IS (3.83, 28), got an acceptance about a week ago. Since you haven't had any other interviews yet, with stats that high, I would assume that there is something funky with your application. Maybe a LOR, ECs, personal statement... I would definitely try to send updates to the schools that you haven't received an interview with yet. But I would also talk to UNMC about why you didn't get in, so you can address whatever the issue is.
I'm am also IS (3.82, 28). Since we have very similar stats, I was just wondering as to when you interviewed. I am still waiting for a reply and have my fingers crossed...this is my second time around and have done everything gigi told me to work on since I was rejected last year.

I'm am also IS (3.82, 28). Since we have very similar stats, I was just wondering as to when you interviewed. I am still waiting for a reply and have my fingers crossed...this is my second time around and have done everything gigi told me to work on since I was rejected last year.

I interviewed the beginning of October, don't remember the exact date. I am a nontrad and have several great ECs, which really helped my application. Good luck to you!!

Does anyone know how their financial aid scholarships work? Do they only give them on a year to year basis? And if they do, is it likely to be renewed every year?

I received a merit-based scholarship for the 2012-13 school year. There is no mention about if or how I would have that scholarship for any of the remaning years I am in medical school. I think that they are re-assigned on a yearly basis - perhaps based on class performance, etc.

Last edited:

I interviewed on December 16 and still have not heard anything. When did you interview?

I interviewed the beginning of October, don't remember the exact date. I am a nontrad and have several great ECs, which really helped my application. Good luck to you!!
Thanks for the info and congrats on your acceptance!

Rejected :( OOS though, which might explain it. Regardless, good luck to the rest of you and congrats to those who have been accepted :)

ahh what perfect timing...rejected again....oh well, time to move on, and g'luck to the rest!

I think I interviewed around the same time as a lot of you (11/11). No rejection as of yesterday, if I don't find one in my mailbox today should I consider it a good sign, or maybe they just haven't gotten to my file yet? Pretty average stats so I'm assuming that I might be joining you all soon with your impressive stats. 27S, 3.7, good EC's. Although I did luck out with getting an interviewer on the board of directors- I hope I made a good impression.

I think I interviewed around the same time as a lot of you (11/11). No rejection as of yesterday, if I don't find one in my mailbox today should I consider it a good sign, or maybe they just haven't gotten to my file yet? Pretty average stats so I'm assuming that I might be joining you all soon with your impressive stats. 27S, 3.7, good EC's. Although I did luck out with getting an interviewer on the board of directors- I hope I made a good impression.

They say that they look at applications randomly (although I did interview 11/11), so I have no idea when you'll get yours but I'm pretty sure you'll only know by snail mail if its a rejection...

you'll be surprised who they accept...I've seen people with MCATs below 30 get in.

Has anyone else sent in a deposit for the Phi Chi house? Is there a facebook group yet?

I've been meaning to set up a tour of the Phi Chi house... it definitely sounds interesting and like it'd be a great resource, but I'm not completely convinced of it yet.

what are you majoring in? people say major doesn't matter, but it does, especially at UNMC, because science majors (especially biology) are generally given preference...

also, was all of your volunteering/research experience ONLY at UNMC? if so, you might want to diversify...and also do NON-HEALTH related volunteering.

I'm also a Nebraska resident (30ish MCAT, 3.78GPA at Emory U., chemistry major), I applied in 2010 and didn't get in (they sent me a rejection at the last minute...like March 15), and then I called them in April and they (meaning Gigi Rogers) told me that my main problem was lack of health-related volunteer experience. I had already knew that personally, and by that point I already had nearly one year of health-related experience because I started volunteering (at a hospital) one month before I started my application, and I have continued up until now...I've also been working as an entry-level biotech researcher since then, and I've gotten a couple of acceptances this time from other schools but am still waiting on UNMC...
Good luck on UNMC... glad to hear you got in other places. I really need to send in some updates to the other schools.

I'm a biotech major. I had my exit interview with Gigi this week and my problem is I don't have enough activities on my amcas... I just had a job experience, research at UNMC, and the volunteering at unmc. I wasn't well advised on what activities I needed. She says it's an easy fix for me just get some more clinical experience, volunteer (non-medical and medical), more shadowing, and put in college groups. Just basically fill up the experiences on your AMCAS. So I'm doing Hope center volunteer work, habitat for humanity, listing some church volunteering from the past, listing chem club and pre-med professionals club, and get a load of shadowing done. I interviewed in beginning of october and get rejection last monday.

Time to get back to work! next app ready for june!

ahh what perfect timing...rejected again....oh well, time to move on, and g'luck to the rest!

I didn't see this! well sorry about UNMC, are you going to go somewhere else? you said you had other acceptances... Would you mind telling me where else you applied and where you got in?

Accepted today! Non-traditional, in-state, 32P, GPA 3.7 (aerospace engineering), GPA 3.9 (post-bacc).

When did you interview?
I interviewed in the EDP cycle. My application was sent to the regular applicant pool because my second MCAT score was not available yet. I did terrible the first time and applied before getting my scores back! Oh well, it worked out. Best of luck to all the applicants.

Hey guys! I was wanting to start a FB group page for those who have been accepted and plan on matriculating...but I cannot do so unless I have at least one friend to add to the group, haha.

Hopefully this will be a good way for people to find potential roommates, combine sources about housing we've checked out near the school, and plan on celebrating our last summers together!

Edit: I have new friends :) - join the group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/315300681855956/

-Christina

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for making the group! I just requested to join it.. looking forward to know y'all before actually knowing y'all, hahaha.

Hey!
I requested to join the Facebook group. Thanks for creating it!

Just curious, have you been assigned a UNMC email yet? I haven't really heard much from them since sending in my deposit and don't want to miss anything.

Thanks!

Hey!
I requested to join the Facebook group. Thanks for creating it!

Just curious, have you been assigned a UNMC email yet? I haven't really heard much from them since sending in my deposit and don't want to miss anything.

Thanks!
I recently got a letter with some more information about dates (orientation, white coat, first day of classes) and my unmc email and ID. Keep an eye out for it in the mail! :)

I recently got a letter with some more information about dates (orientation, white coat, first day of classes) and my unmc email and ID. Keep an eye out for it in the mail! :)

Yeah I received it today after not knowing that I was accepted! I thought it was a complete mix up but I confirmed with Admissions that I had missed receiving the acceptance packet since they mailed it to my permanent address where I'm not living at right now. So unexpected but I'm feeling sky high :D

Rejection received today. Can't say I'm surprised, good luck to the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.