2023-2024 Nebraska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Nebraska Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

2. If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

3. If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

4. What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine, especially if you are not from Nebraska? (1000 characters)

5. What are you most proud of in your life? (1500 characters)

6. Tell us about a time when you have had to overcome adversity. (1500 characters)

7. Tell us something about yourself that will enhance the UNMC College of Medicine? (1500 characters)

8. What have you learned from working with people whose background is different from yours? (1500 characters)

Other yes/no questions as well.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
+1 OOS (MD/PhD) received.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750)

If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750)

What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine, especially if you are not from Nebraska? (1000)

What are you most proud of in your life? (1500)

Tell us about a time when you have had to overcome adversity. (1500)

Tell us something about yourself that will enhance the UNMC College of Medicine? (1500)

What have you learned from working with people whose background is different from yours? (1500)

other yes/no questions as well.
@wysdoc

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
If you have been away from full-time academics for more than two years, please explain. (N/A if not applicable) (750 characters)

If you are a re-applicant to the UNMC College of Medicine, how is your application different this year? (N/A if not applicable) (750)

If this is your first application to UNMC, but not your first application to medical school, what is your rationale for applying to UNMC this cycle? (N/A if not applicable) (750)

What is your personal rationale for applying to the UNMC College of Medicine, especially if you are not from Nebraska? (1000)

What are you most proud of in your life? (1500)

Tell us about a time when you have had to overcome adversity. (1500)

Tell us something about yourself that will enhance the UNMC College of Medicine? (1500)

What have you learned from working with people whose background is different from yours? (1500)

other yes/no questions as well.
@wysdoc
Thanks so much!!!

If I have an update for my relevant activities (started after I submitted primary), how should I inform UNMC. I did not see anything in their secondary, as in no updates essay or even document/letter upload, and in their email when they sent the secondary I did not see anything either.

If I have an update for my relevant activities (started after I submitted primary), how should I inform UNMC. I did not see anything in their secondary, as in no updates essay or even document/letter upload, and in their email when they sent the secondary I did not see anything either.
It’s so soon after you submitted, for now keep track of any new things and you can talk about them in an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on getting a secondary. Does UNMC have a policy against applying multiple times?

II today! Super excited first interview of the cycle!

complete 7/29/23. OOS, no ties.

I would appreciate any advice about the interview

Congratulations! Are the interview dates scheduled already or does it happen all in October?
I'm early decision so there were two interview date options, one for late August and one for early September since the decision goes out before Oct 1.

Just got my II 8/17/23!!!! The earliest date was oct

Congrats! Ed or Rd?
It would have to be regular decision at that point in the year. The latest early decision interviews are in mid-September to allow for decisions to go out the first week of October.

OOS pre-II R, submitted 08/07/23

In their email it said I could appeal and that if I did, they would want me to focus my appeal on why UNMC is a place I would attend given the opportunity. Does this mean they didn't reject me based on my qualifications, just that they doubted I would actually matriculate? I'm considering appealing.

OOS pre-II R, submitted 08/07/23

In their email it said I could appeal and that if I did, they would want me to focus my appeal on why UNMC is a place I would attend given the opportunity. Does this mean they didn't reject me based on my qualifications, just that they doubted I would actually matriculate? I'm considering appealing.

They said the same thing to me idk if that’s what they do to all rejections.

They said the same thing to me idk if that’s what they do to all rejections.
Same for me. I assume it is a blanket email. If they didn't see something they liked in the primary and secondary, I doubt that an appeal to append to your application will improve.

Me waiting as an OOS ORM with no ties and average stats :X3:

OOS II today 10/3! Marked complete 8/7. No ties

So excited!

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
OOS MD/PhD II today, complete 7/19. Very excited!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Any interviewed already can share what was the day like/ the interview? Any advice?
The interview feedback linked in the first post is a pretty representative take. About an hour of welcome sessions/UNMC overviews to start followed by a 30 minute individual interview and 45 minute student ambassador session. Prepare as you would for any of your other interview and you'll feel ready. Definitely not a stressful experience.

The interview feedback linked in the first post is a pretty representative take. About an hour of welcome sessions/UNMC overviews to start followed by a 30 minute individual interview and 45 minute student ambassador session. Prepare as you would for any of your other interview and you'll feel ready. Definitely not a stressful experience.
Thank you! I must have missed that first post, I will look at it

Any interviewed already can share what was the day like/ the interview? Any advice?
I just finished an interview this week with their program. It was really great. All of the faculty, students, and administration were SO friendly. Interviewers are blinded to your AMCAS except any prior degrees, so there were lots of questions that could be expected if someone know almost nothing about you as an applicant.

I think that the best advice I can give is to remember that at the end of the day your interviewers are people too. They are really looking to get to know you as a person, to see if your personality/characteristics will be a good fit for their incoming class and school's community. Be yourself and it will be great! Also, have a few questions prepared that are not things you could easily discover from their website (both questions for faculty and for students).

And finally good luck with your interview/app cycle.

• Love
I just finished an interview this week with their program. It was really great. All of the faculty, students, and administration were SO friendly. Interviewers are blinded to your AMCAS except any prior degrees, so there were lots of questions that could be expected if someone know almost nothing about you as an applicant.

I think that the best advice I can give is to remember that at the end of the day your interviewers are people too. They are really looking to get to know you as a person, to see if your personality/characteristics will be a good fit for their incoming class and school's community. Be yourself and it will be great! Also, have a few questions prepared that are not things you could easily discover from their website (both questions for faculty and for students).

And finally good luck with your interview/app cycle.
Thank you very much for sharing, I really love this school and am so excited to interview! Good luck to you as well!

• Love
For those who already interviewed, did they mention how soon they take to let you know of a decision after the interview?

For those who already interviewed, did they mention how soon they take to let you know of a decision after the interview?
Judging by both previous years and other applicant information they hand out there will not be decisions until December at the earliest.

omg I forgot to send a thank you email to my interviewers. I interviewed early October. Would it be weird to send it now?