2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to everyone who matched! Let me know if you have any questions! It hasn't been that long since I went through all this :) We're deep in the middle of the first year classes so I can help ya'll out with that! In case anyone is wondering, I also have some experience with maintaining long distance relationships while in med school, being married in med school, and finding housing.

I might have to take you up on that! I'll most likely be engaged long distance for my first year and get married the week after the last final in May. Might need some pointers! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely going here next Fall. Yay! I hope I get to meet some of you guys soon :) I'm so exciteddddd :love:

Congratulations to all the new MS0s!! :) You're all going to be doctors! Yay!!!!! :D Glad to have you all as classmates!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll do my best to answer it this weekend or sooner (MS2s have a test Friday!).

CONGRATULATIONS! :D
It's wonderful to feel the air of celebration! But... when we they get to us out-of-staters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I might have to take you up on that! I'll most likely be engaged long distance for my first year and get married the week after the last final in May. Might need some pointers! :)

Sounds great! We had a pretty unique situation but we did a long distance engagement as well. Send me a message if you have any specific questions! I can send you my email if that would make things easier. Good luck!

Just a little motivational speech at 2:30 in the morning..

I love reading through any of Texas' school-specific application threads. It weaves a timeline from stories of determination, anxiety, disappointment, and triumph. Along the way there may be some dumb questions, or some questions that no one knows the answer to. There may a troll here, a gunner there.. but in the end we all help each other out whilst having some good meme-based fun. We cheer for the 2nd or 3rd year applicant who finally gets in, and smirk when the know-it-all premed is humbled.

First, everyone's talking about the application.. then the interviews.. then the prematch period.. then match day.. and finally to where we are now, waitlists.

Ultimately, everyone here who's matched to schools will migrate to that school's respective "Class of 20xx" thread, and people will reveal themselves as classmates from behind their SDN handle when people meet each other as school begins. The school's application thread will slowly die and claim its place in the archives, only to be brought up by next year's applicants, perhaps those who actually know how to use proper search terms instead of starting a new thread. Who knows, a golden nugget of advice that you've provided in this very thread as a pre-med may be dug up by a pre-med 10 years later, when you're an attending.

So if you've matched somewhere, stand proud and cherish this moment because you've accomplished so much to get here. For those of you who haven't matched or are looking to match at a higher ranked school, don't lose hope! The waitlist period has only begun. :cool:

(No I'm not drunk/high, I've just been up for the past 40 hours thanks to the anxiety/excitement of the match...)

Just a little motivational speech at 2:30 in the morning..

I love reading through any of Texas' school-specific application threads. It weaves a timeline from stories of determination, anxiety, disappointment, and triumph. Along the way there may be some dumb questions, or some questions that no one knows the answer to. There may a troll here, a gunner there.. but in the end we all help each other out whilst having some good meme-based fun. We cheer for the 2nd or 3rd year applicant who finally gets in, and smirk when the know-it-all premed is humbled.

First, everyone's talking about the application.. then the interviews.. then the prematch period.. then match day.. and finally to where we are now, waitlists.

Ultimately, everyone here who's matched to schools will migrate to that school's respective "Class of 20xx" thread, and people will reveal themselves as classmates from behind their SDN handle when people meet each other as school begins. The school's application thread will slowly die and claim its place in the archives, only to be brought up by next year's applicants, perhaps those who actually know how to use proper search terms instead of starting a new thread. Who knows, a golden nugget of advice that you've provided in this very thread as a pre-med may be dug up by a pre-med 10 years later, when you're an attending.

So if you've matched somewhere, stand proud and cherish this moment because you've accomplished so much to get here. For those of you who haven't matched or are looking to match at a higher ranked school, don't lose hope! The waitlist period has only begun. :cool:

(No I'm not drunk/high, I've just been up for the past 40 hours thanks to the anxiety/excitement of the match...)

That adds a nice bit of perspective to this long process. Nice!

What happens now that I didn't get matched to UTMB? :-( -sigh-

What happens now that I didn't get matched to UTMB? :-( -sigh-

Waitlists run up until class day. There was an SDN poster who got into UTMB in June last year, so keep your head up!

Does anyone have any information or know where I can get more information about joining one of the medical fraternities.

Waitlists run up until class day. There was an SDN poster who got into UTMB in June last year, so keep your head up!

Yeah that was me, and I'm pretty sure there were a couple others in our class accepted around that time. I decided to come back here congratulate the new members of UTMB and to offer support to the wait-listers!

First off, just because you weren't accepted on Match day doesn't mean you aren't "smart" or "good" enough. It might just mean they were trying to round out the class and you might have been overlooked. I was a late addition to this class, but have been making honors and have been involved with research during my down time. My advice is even though you are disappointed now, don't quit doing your best. Let it drive you!

Does anyone have any information or know where I can get more information about joining one of the medical fraternities.

Congratulations Class of 2016!

I would like to introduce you to Phi Chi -Zeta Chapter. We are one of the oldest and largest medical fraternities in the world and at UTMB.

I will be taking the office of House Manager this summer, and you can correspond with me directly. If interested, send me a message with any questions or concerns.

There will be a flyer in one of your packets you will receive late spring/early summer, but the basics are:

$375/month (probably the lowest rent in Galveston). It includes:
9 meals included by our in house chef.
Newly renovated rooms with hard wood floors.
Newly renovated library loaded with books and previous years textbooks (which I utilize a lot).
Free utilities, wi-fi, cable, laundry, pool, pool table, theater room, use of kitchen are just some of the highlights.
It's only a 10-12 minute walk to class.
And a ton of advice and tips from 2nd and 3rd years during meals.
There are many leadership positions available for your 2nd thru 4th year to boost your CV.

After Hurricane Ike we have been doing many renovations and rebuilding projects. We have came a long way in 2 years since we have started those renovations.

As it looks right now, we will only have 8-9 rooms available.

Message me if interested, and I will get back to you when I am able.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that was me, and I'm pretty sure there were a couple others in our class accepted around that time. I decided to come back here congratulate the new members of UTMB and to offer support to the wait-listers!

First off, just because you weren't accepted on Match day doesn't mean you aren't "smart" or "good" enough. It might just mean they were trying to round out the class and you might have been overlooked. I was a late addition to this class, but have been making honors and have been involved with research during my down time. My advice is even though you are disappointed now, don't quit doing your best. Let it drive you!

Just reading this cheered me up a lot; thank you!

Good news: I received information directly from utmb admissions office and they said that they still have a couple of batches of acceptances to give out! The lady informed us that nobody is on a waitlist yet because they have not given out all their acceptances! So for those of you who did not match don't worry because their is still acceptances being sent out according to the admissions office! I am not sure what exact date these batches of acceptances are to be sent out though!
Last year they had sent out their waitlist notification email in the middle of March, so I would assume that UTMB would send out their acceptances some time before that.

On another note, do the Texas schools know which applicants already have an acceptance elsewhere? I would figure they would have to know this at least by June 1st so that they wouldn't offer a seat to someone who already has a seat at another school. I was asking because I was wondering if schools give preference to those WITHOUT an existing acceptance when they reevaluate the pool for an open spot, since the applicant without a existing acceptance is more likely to accept his/her only offer than an applicant who has an acceptance elsewhere, and perhaps is less likely to want to accept and change schools, even if it is a school of his/her higher ranking.

Last edited:
Last year they had sent out their waitlist notification email in the middle of March, so I would assume that UTMB would send out their acceptances some time before that.

On another note, do the Texas schools know which applicants already have an acceptance elsewhere? I would figure they would have to know this at least by June 1st so that they wouldn't offer a seat to someone who already has a seat at another school. I was asking because I was wondering if schools give preference to those WITHOUT an existing acceptance when they reevaluate the pool for an open spot, since the applicant without a existing acceptance is more likely to accept his/her only offer than an applicant who has an acceptance elsewhere, and perhaps is less likely to want to accept and change schools, even if it is a school of his/her higher ranking.

I don't know what they do or do not know but they can give acceptances to students who already have one. One of my friends in my class was prematched and matched to TCOM and got off the waitlist 2 days before the last day. Another friend was matched to UTMB and got off of UTH's waitlist a couple days before the last day, also. I guess 2 examples of people leaving their match school for the school they preferred lol the thing is that people are only on the waiting list for schools they ranked higher than the one they matched at, so there's a pretty good chance they'll still want to go there.

Last edited:
How is grading the first two years at UTMB - is it P/F, objective, curved or what?

Yeah, I was under the impression that it was this but also curved so that you are competing against classmates for a limited number of honors/high pass grades.

I think top 15% get honors. Don't remember the other breakdowns.

At any other school, curved grading might be problematic, but I think the "island vibe" tends to take the edge off people (the students I talked to shrugged their shoulders and said "you get what you get").

They know.

They know.

Dun dun dun....

1232550297_Dramatic%20chipmunk.gif

I think top 15% get honors. Don't remember the other breakdowns.

At any other school, curved grading might be problematic, but I think the "island vibe" tends to take the edge off people (the students I talked to shrugged their shoulders and said "you get what you get").

Top 15% Honors, top 50% (16-50%) High Pass, the rest Pass. Each class has a Knowledge component and a PBL component. If you fail one component you get PC (partial competency) and you have to remediate the next summer

Hi, does anyone know anything about the English credit 6 hours?

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know anything about the English credit 6 hours? At my school for a biology major 6 hours of communication are required. I took 3 hours of Rhet and then I wrote an Honors thesis...is this not going to count?

I would email the admissions office directly.

Decided to withdraw from this school. Hope one of yall gets my spot. Good luck!

Why would ANYONE withdraw from UTMB? :eyebrow: :p

Just kidding! Good luck at wherever you picked for medical school :)

Alternate pooled
OOS
Interviewed on 11/04

Nine people were taken from the pool last year and none were taken a year before that...so...yeah, not holding my breath. Oh well.

Do they actually reject anybody? An alternate pool of 200 seems like they just pooled everyone that wasn't accepted.

Got the waitlist email today. IS, interviewed 12/16.

Alternate pooled~ what does that entail?

Unfortunately, all you can do now is wait and see. The list keeps moving until class starts, so keep your head up.

There are a few past posters in this thread who got accepted in June.

Does anyone know if some students in next year's class will only be doing three years of medical school?

To the best of my knowledge, UTMB doesn't offer a 3 year medical school program... I believe Texas Tech does. Unless I am misunderstanding your question, of course :)

Hey did you all receive the prep program email? I haven't yet and my friends have. Am a little worried... :confused:

Hey did you all receive the prep program email? I haven't yet and my friends have. Am a little worried... :confused:

Not everyone gets that email... I think only about 30-40 people out of each class of 230 or so gets invited to do the supplementary program. Sometimes they let people who ask to be in the PREP program do it, but having done the PREP program... I wish I had just enjoyed my last free summer. You relearn it all once school starts... they only benefit was a bit of a preview (which I mostly forgot during the weeks between the program ending and school actually starting) and meeting a few classmates/friends. I do not think it helped me particularly, academically speaking.

Most people that receive an invitation to the PREP program were either in EMSAP, graduated several semesters early before medical school, or may have a low MCAT or low GPA. Don't be worried about it. Wouldn't you like to spend your summer doing something else (like sleeping in, being lazy, or travelling) before your first semester at UTMB?

Not everyone gets that email... I think only about 30-40 people out of each class of 230 or so gets invited to do the supplementary program. Sometimes they let people who ask to be in the PREP program do it, but having done the PREP program... I wish I had just enjoyed my last free summer. You relearn it all once school starts... they only benefit was a bit of a preview (which I mostly forgot during the weeks between the program ending and school actually starting) and meeting a few classmates/friends. I do not think it helped me particularly, academically speaking.

Most people that receive an invitation to the PREP program were either in EMSAP, graduated several semesters early before medical school, or may have a low MCAT or low GPA. Don't be worried about it. Wouldn't you like to spend your summer doing something else (like sleeping in, being lazy, or travelling) before your first semester at UTMB?

Hey guys, thank you so much for responding, I feel a lot better. I would love to spend my summer relaxing but I was hoping the program would help me get used to the smell of anatomy lab before the real thing :laugh:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering about putting together a list for my birthday/graduation for cool medical school things that I actually need (i.e. a stethoscope). I found some older threads with info about what you need for POM 1, but I was wondering if someone has an updated list and can make recommendations about what kind of stethoscope to buy. I know blood pressure cuff and tuning fork were also things on that list.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I was wondering about putting together a list for my birthday/graduation for cool medical school things that I actually need (i.e. a stethoscope). I found some older threads with info about what you need for POM 1, but I was wondering if someone has an updated list and can make recommendations about what kind of stethoscope to buy. I know blood pressure cuff and tuning fork were also things on that list.

Thanks!

Stethoscope, reflex hammer, tuning fork (128 hz), sphygmomanometer (aka manual blood pressure cuff), eye card (http://www.amazon.com/Grafco-Pocket...NLJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329676561&sr=8-2) and penlight.

Nitrile gloves, plastic aprons, dissection kits for anatomy lab.

UTMB Bookstore http://www.utmb.edu/ehs/cbooks2.htm (can look up textbooks/supplies from last year here... warning: may change because of new editions / requirements... and again DO NOT START STUDYING for medical school now. Enjoy your time off! You will never have time off again until maybe 4th yr... seriously...!)

BUUUUT -- the student bookstore sells the exact version of what you will need and the student societies (Osler group) that you get automatically assigned to once you start school often provides you these things (or at least some of them) for free. I wouldn't recommend buying them. Also, they will try to convince you that you need to buy this super expensive otoscope/opthalmoscope set... 1) you don't really need it buy it -- I've used mine.. 2x? 3x? And 2) if you do buy it, get a cheap one ($50 bucks or less) off amazon or ebay (what I did, and I still never use it lol!). Almost none of us are going to be optho or ENTs (super competitive fields!!), so don't go buy expensive tools that you WILL NOT USE! Trust me lol!

If you want to ask for any of those things for gifts, I would ask for a stethoscope if anything. Some people get cheapo ones, others get the nicer Littmann ones (like the Littmann Cardio III). I don't think it makes much difference, really. You don't actually know what you're listening to for at least the first 2 years, if not most of medical school, so having the same stethoscope as a cardiologist doesn't help since you can't hear the subtle differences anyway :laugh:

But really, dude, get REAL presents for birthday/graduation. Most of those supplies cost less than $30 all together (excluding stethoscope), so enjoy other presents! Life is about to get busy and crazy and hard, so ask for like a spa / massage certificate or gift cards to restaurants in Galveston or just money! You will 100% appreciate those things more after a month or two of medical school! :D

Anyone who has questions, feel free to ask. Happy to help :)

Just read about the opening of the new maternity center. Skim past the first few paragraphs to get to some better info on the center itself.
http://www.utmbhealth.com/wtn/Page.asp?PageID=WTN000711

Sounds like there are some pretty exciting changes happening to John Sealy with the modernization project.

I don't remember them mentioning anything about the changes on interview day. It was my first one though, so I was pretty anxious.

I have a question for current students:

I know that I must include my parents information on my FAFSA to be considered for certain scholarships. My parents regularly file for extensions on their taxes and won't have them completed until late this fall. I will have access to their adjusted gross income (per information from their employers), but their taxes won't be complete when I fill out my FAFSA. Will this be acceptable to be considered for institutional scholarships / grants? I am kind of worried about this.

Call the Financial Aid office, they are very helpful. Get that sorted out as quickly as possible, it's well worth your time financially.

Also, to people on the wait list, I didn't get in until late May and was never informed that I was even on the list so don't lose hope. Med school on the beach is still possible! Good luck everyone, see y'all at the shot party..

Congratulations to everyone who matched today!

If anyone matched outside of the city and needs someone to take over their lease this summer, please let us incoming students know!

Status
Not open for further replies.