2011-2012 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was today really the last interview day of the season at UTMB? I know last year they interviewed well into January. :(

Members don't see this ad.

The Vice Dean of Admissions said that to us yesterday. I was surprised that was the case, but unless she misspoke that's what was communicated.

Sent from my medical tricorder using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when scholarship information will go out? Isn't it typically sometime around now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Small update... more pre-match offers are still due to come out at some point. :luck:

How many times has UTMB given out pre-matches this year? and How many have they given out so far?

How many times has UTMB given out pre-matches this year? and How many have they given out so far?

As far as I know: once, on November 15th, and several hundred. That number is purely a guess on my part based on previous years.

I've been hoping for a pre-match for a while now... if it happened, I was going to use the occasion to take my spouse on a celebratory mini-vacation to Galveston for Christma--I mean, we would be going to "check out housing options". Yes. That's it. :ninja:

Do you think they'll sending something out today? Because it's Friday and the day before Christmas eve and everything...

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting...so either pre-matches have already been sent out and no one here has posted so we don't know about it, or we're looking at next week or January for the next wave of acceptances? Is it too much to hope that they've set up an automated system to send out acceptances on Christmas morning? :laugh:

Interesting...so either pre-matches have already been sent out and no one here has posted so we don't know about it, or we're looking at next week or January for the next wave of acceptances? Is it too much to hope that they've set up an automated system to send out acceptances on Christmas morning? :laugh:

There won't be any January acceptances. Next week or bust.

I think they had an automated system for the first pre-match wave on November 15 (unless there was actually someone working in the office at 12 AM).

Not to get anyone's hopes up, just a response to the quoted post. Hang in there, y'all :)

Is it too much to hope that they've set up an automated system to send out acceptances on Christmas morning? :laugh:

:thumbup:

I did find it interesting that none of the Texas threads I've been watching had anyone post today with a pre-match. I wouldn't think they'd send them out next week, but today's events make me wonder.

I think they had an automated system for the first pre-match wave on November 15 (unless there was actually someone working in the office at 12 AM).

Not to get anyone's hopes up, just a response to the quoted post. Hang in there, y'all :)

If I understood you correctly, you are guaranteeing me a pre-match Christmas morning? :D

Does anyone know when scholarship information will go out? Isn't it typically sometime around now?

I was out of town for 2 weeks and came back yesterday to find a scholarship letter in the mail. It was dated Dec 08/2011.

I got the "Arthur V. Simmang Scholarship" in the amount of $1,000 that turns my OOS tuition to IS tuition.

I was out of town for 2 weeks and came back yesterday to find a scholarship letter in the mail. It was dated Dec 08/2011.

I got the "Arthur V. Simmang Scholarship" in the amount of $1,000 that turns my OOS tuition to IS tuition.

I got one also! Not the same amount or name though. Also, I'm in-state.

Last edited:
Any hope for another round of pre-matches? Only a few days left in the year.

Any hope for another round of pre-matches? Only a few days left in the year.

Hey, you're up early too.

I called the admissions office about two weeks ago, and they said there was one more batch coming out as of then. So... either it went out already and no-one on SDN got one, it's still coming, or the person to whom I spoke was mistaken. :luck:

Hey, you're up early too.

I called the admissions office about two weeks ago, and they said there was one more batch coming out as of then. So... either it went out already and no-one on SDN got one, it's still coming, or the person to whom I spoke was mistaken. :luck:

There are pre-meds that are not on SDN? :eek:

So...for OOS people, if we don't get accepted in the next week or so, then we're most likely rejected, right? The match for Texas residents must be completed on Jan. 10th (?), I think. So if we're not accepted before that, we're essentially rejected?

So...for OOS people, if we don't get accepted in the next week or so, then we're most likely rejected, right? The match for Texas residents must be completed on Jan. 10th (?), I think. So if we're not accepted before that, we're essentially rejected?

No, I don't think that's the case. Applicants' match preferences have to be submitted on Jan 10th, and the match results are received on Feb 1st. However, if you're not accepted at that point I believe you can still be accepted via the waitlist... through August or so.

Does anyone know if UTMB takes people with an existing acceptance off their waitlists?

Does anyone know if UTMB takes people with an existing acceptance off their waitlists?

For pre-match (which ends Dec. 31), you can hold as many acceptances as you want.

After match (Feb. 1), it's a bit more complicated. After that date, you are only allowed to hold one acceptance from schools that participate in the TMDSAS. Let's say you rank UTMB #2 on your list, but you only match into your #3 choice. At that point, it would still be possible for UTMB to offer you an acceptance off their waitlist, since they hold a higher position on your preference list compared to the school where you have currently been accepted.

On the other hand, if you rank UTMB #2 and you match into your top choice, you will be automatically withdrawn from consideration at UTMB (UTMB will no longer consider you for admissions purposes).

Reactions: 1 user
Well I guess there are no more pre-match offers. I'm surprised no pre-matches offers were extended in December.

Surprised as well. At least we won't be anxious about every email we receive anymore.

Every time my phone has made the "email received" beep for the last two months, I've nearly jumped out of my seat trying to find out what it is. I do not recommend this approach. ;)

Every time my phone has made the "email received" beep for the last two months, I've nearly jumped out of my seat trying to find out what it is. I do not recommend this approach. ;)

Haha. You and me both. Peace at least.

Has anyone who interviewed on oct. 28th heard anything back yet?

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I called the office and was told that there will be more acceptances coming. They don't know when.:rolleyes:

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I called the office and was told that there will be more acceptances coming. They don't know when.:rolleyes:

Prematch is over. You'll have to wait until Match Day (Feb. 1).

Did any folks without an interview invite get an actual rejection email/letter? I got one from A&M, but not UTMB... it seems strange that they would just give us the silent treatment like that.

Did any folks without an interview invite get an actual rejection email/letter? I got one from A&M, but not UTMB... it seems strange that they would just give us the silent treatment like that.

I think a lot of Texas schools do that.

Is there a c/o 2016 facebook group?

The Texas schools remind of some of the women in my life...

I know that OOS applicants don't participate in the match, but does anyone know if there will be more acceptance offers made for OOS or are we pretty much bound for the waitlist/pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.