2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
optional essay:

Keeping in mind the Admissions Committee's goal that the supplemental information is to gain additional insight into the applicant as an individual and as a whole person, what additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant.

For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, having a privileged background and providing extensive service, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Best of luck with your application :luck: :luck: :luck::luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
June 1st is coming up fast. Who've we got applying this year who's looking at Wisconsin as their #1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-applying OOS this year. Rejected post-interview in March, but I'll be applying strong again this year. UW-Madison is my favorite school so far!

Officially submitted today, so I should be in the first round of apps sent to schools. UW is far and away my first choice, such a great school, there's research being done on everything and doing my undergrad here I know that most labs are always inviting to students. It's summer time here right now and I'd want to be no other place than downtown Madison during the summer, such a beautiful place. If you're OOS and thinking about applying, DO IT! You won't regret it. If you have any questions about UW, or Madison in general, shoot me a PM, I grew up around here and know the school and area very well.

Good luck!

Visited the campus when a few of my friends did the ironman in wisconsin, fell in love with the town! Plus the med program sounds outstanding!

It's summer time here right now and I'd want to be no other place than downtown Madison during the summer, such a beautiful place. If you're OOS and thinking about applying, DO IT! You won't regret it.

Madison in the summertime (aka, Madison w/o 30K undergraduates) is absolutely spectacular. It's the other 9 months of the year I'm worried about. :laugh:

FYI, an email I got from our pre-med advisor today:

Hi, all:
I would like to clarify UW Madison's policy on letters of recommendation per a conversation today with the Director of Admissions.

Madison requires 4 letters of recommendation. The members of the Admissions Committee are only "required" to read 4 letters of recommendation per applicant. If an applicant submits more than 4 letters there are a couple of factors to consider: 1) You don't know which 4 letters the Admissions Committee will read. 2) Some Admissions Committee members will read all of them (regardless of what they are "required" to do)... but, some will only read 4. 3) Madison considers it somewhat "unusual" for an applicant to submit more than 6 letters. They prefer 4.

Granted this is third-hand, but it's still probably worth thinking about.

Does anyone remember how quickly UWSMPH gets secondaries out to applicants? I seem to remember it being about a month...

Also wondering if UWSMPH has a reapplicant essay in their secondary. Does anyone know this prompt?

Madison in the summertime (aka, Madison w/o 30K undergraduates) is absolutely spectacular. It's the other 9 months of the year I'm worried about. :laugh:

I second this.

I was there for graduate school not too long ago and just recently returned to watch my classmate defend her thesis and spending the day at picnic point brought back so many good memories. Madison is a fantastic place to be a student.

Alas, I will not be applying here for medical school. Best of luck to all those applying here, though! :luck: I can't say much about the medical school, but I can answer some questions about housing and the general area. My lab was closer to the HSLC center than the chemistry building.

I'm from CA, and it's totally doable. I think there were only a serious handful of times where it was so cold I was in pain. Just be glad you aren't in MN! ;)

Has anyone received a secondary? I got an email last week saying they were screening for GPA/MCAT...

I also got the screening email but have not received the secondary. I know of no one else who has either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year Wisconsin sent secondaries on June 29th, I believe. The more I learn about this school the more I'm liking it, solid researcher with outstanding primary care. I'm a huge fan. Madison is a tight college town.

Just got the secondary today. Here is the optional essay prompt:

Keeping in mind the Admissions Committee's goal that the supplemental information is to gain additional insight into the applicant as an individual and as a whole person, what additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant.
For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, having a privileged background and providing extensive service, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)

were you verified? did the screen (dont know if you know this)? dets?

were you verified? did the screen (dont know if you know this)? dets?
Yes, I was verified first week of June. There is a screen at 7 in verbal reasoning, 7 in physical sciences and 8 in biological sciences as well as 2.8/4.0 GPA. Not sure if there is any other factor.

What does everyone think about the optional essay?? If we don't have any "disadvantages" that we want to explain, should we write anything? Some schools like when people just blab about themselves, others would prefer you leave it blank -- how does Wisconsin feel about this? :confused:

Still no secondary here. I meet their minimum screen requirements.

What does everyone think about the optional essay?? If we don't have any "disadvantages" that we want to explain, should we write anything? Some schools like when people just blab about themselves, others would prefer you leave it blank -- how does Wisconsin feel about this? :confused:

I just wrote about why I want to go to Wisconsin.

As for those that are still waiting on secondaries, don't worry. I just did the entire thing only to realize it won't let you submit it until August 20th anyway. You're not gonna fall behind.

As for those that are still waiting on secondaries, don't worry. I just did the entire thing only to realize it won't let you submit it until August 20th anyway. You're not gonna fall behind.

Wait, what? You physically can't submit it?

From the secondary email:

"You will have the option of saving and editing your Secondary Application in stages as you wish before submission. The Secondary Application may be submitted between August 20, 2011 and December 1, 2011."

Why do they want us to regurgitate our activities? It doesn't make sense. Also, proving your residency is pretty laborious with this application. Oh well, Madison is far and away my #1 school so I shall do whatever they ask of me.

Why do they want us to regurgitate our activities? It doesn't make sense.

'cause they use the fields to generate this bar graph thing that shows your activities over time

I have it on good authority that you won't be penalized for copy/pasting your AMCAS activity descriptions.

Last edited:
I am OOS, I have not received the secondary yet.

I have family in Wisconsin so I'd actually like to go there. We'll see if I get the secondary later on.

Is this the only essay?

I meet their minimum requirements and haven't received the secondary yet :confused:

I guess what I know what I'm doing the evening of the 19th:cool::laugh:

Being cool and laughing?

I filled it out to get the application done ahead of time but now feel strange.

Anyone else copy and paste their AMCAS information?

Yup. Physically cannot click the submit button. It's grayed out and can't be hit until August 20th.

That's annoying. Why can't they let us submit and then stick the apps in a file until the 20th? I hate having something hanging over my head, just waiting... Ergh. :mad:

That's annoying. Why can't they let us submit and then stick the apps in a file until the 20th? I hate having something hanging over my head, just waiting... Ergh. :mad:

same. now i'm gonna have this app hanging in the back of my mind even though i'm done with it, just because i have yet to submit it. such a pain.

I am OOS, I have not received the secondary yet.

I have family in Wisconsin so I'd actually like to go there. We'll see if I get the secondary later on.

I'm OOS and got it, maybe they just like Oregonians :)

OOS. Still nothing, but August 20 is a long ways away. Its like 40 days or something crazy like that.

honestly, having to wait is a welcome change. so many other secondaries!

optional essay:

Best of luck with your application :luck: :luck: :luck::luck::luck::luck:!

Hi,

Is the essay truly optional or should I actually include something? I've encountered challenges but none that have barred me from entering medicine. Should I describe a challenge that I had in a particular extracurricular activity to show how I handle challenges perhaps?

Hi,

Is the essay truly optional or should I actually include something? I've encountered challenges but none that have barred me from entering medicine. Should I describe a challenge that I had in a particular extracurricular activity to show how I handle challenges perhaps?

I don't think this is what they're looking for. I think this section is really for those who've had significant challenges prior to applying and could use extra space to explain.

Wisconsin sent me an email weeks ago saying that I would receive a secondary if I meet requirements. Waiting and waiting no secondary. In the meantime, I already got interview invites from Michigan and Pittsburgh. But still waiting for Wisconsin secondary.

I don't think this is what they're looking for. I think this section is really for those who've had significant challenges prior to applying and could use extra space to explain.

I agree that's not what they're looking for in that example, but that's also just an example.

I agree that's not what they're looking for in that example, but that's also just an example.

Well, sure. But the OP on this topic was talking about finding an alternative interpretation of a challenge to try and meet their example. I'm not saying that you can't include something you think is relevant, just that you don't have to come up with something to fit the description given.

Got the secondary invite today. If we can't submit until August 20th then I'll put it on the back burner to complete my other ones first.

Well, sure. But the OP on this topic was talking about finding an alternative interpretation of a challenge to try and meet their example. I'm not saying that you can't include something you think is relevant, just that you don't have to come up with something to fit the description given.

In that case, I agree

Anyone know any details about applying as OOS? I saw their stats in the MSAR, and they had a small but decent proportion of their class that came from OOS. I figured I'd check the school out, and I like it a lot. I have no ties to Wisconsin, but I feel like I fit their mission statement pretty well. Is there anything special I should know about applying here OOS? Thanks so much! Good luck to everyone.

Hey, I'm a student at Madison, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I can't answer much about the application except what my experience is like. However if you have any questions about the school, curriculum, research opportunities, the "city", etc. I can help with that. Particularly if you are OOS as I was.

Hey, I'm a student at Madison, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I can't answer much about the application except what my experience is like. However if you have any questions about the school, curriculum, research opportunities, the "city", etc. I can help with that. Particularly if you are OOS as I was.

these might be useful to others so if you don't mind i'll ask here. what year are you and what do you like most about the school and city so far?

Yeah, to the OP:
"For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, having a privileged background and providing extensive service, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)"

The prompt to talk about challenges is only an example. It is fine if you talk about something else instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.