2012-2013 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

..AND THEY'RE OFF! Best of luck ECU applicants. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have or post them here on the board! :thumbup:

I'm a current Class of 2016 matriculant to Brody so the app cycle is fresh on my mind if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This morning, I spoke to someone who is headed for Brody in the fall. He had awesome things to say about the school. I will be applying as well.

Will be applying here as well! Hopefully I'll get some fellow ECU love from Brody!

This morning, I spoke to someone who is headed for Brody in the fall. He had awesome things to say about the school. I will be applying as well.

Best of luck! Small class sizes, amazing availability to faculty and a high level of community integration... IT IS AWESOME! ;)

I can't find Brody on AMCAS. I've searched Both Carolinas and don't see this school anywhere. How did you g uys find it?

It's called "The Brody School of Medicine East Carolina Univ" on AMCAS application.

Their website is www.ecu.edu/med

That's what I figured, but look at my AMCAS school list... It's not on there.

WugTb.jpg

Are you an NC resident? My only guess would be that maybe they took it off the list for anyone who isn't an NC resident so they don't receive primaries from people who don't realize the acceptance percentage for OOS is ~0% barring very special circumstances.

Are you an NC resident? My only guess would be that maybe they took it off the list for anyone who isn't an NC resident so they don't receive primaries from people who don't realize the acceptance percentage for OOS is ~0% barring very special circumstances.

ECU does not take OOS students.

Ok thanks. Thought I was crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
No they changed the last two parts. I'll copy it into here when I get to a computer. I'm on my phone now.

The prompt you guys! A tad bit different from last year. Also, Brody doesn't automatically waive your secondary fee if you received the FAP. You have to go through this circuitous process and have your financial aid office send a letter directly to the director of admissions stating that paying the secondary fee will cause "hardship". lol

A composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience. Be sure to put your name and AMCAS identification number in the upper right corner of the first page.

anyone confused on how this is NOT going to just repeat everything in the AMCAS app? I think I pretty much covered all of those things in my AMCAS...

Anyone know when interview invites will be going out?

Anyone know when interview invites will be going out?

Last couple years the first wave of invites has gone out around August 1st and the first interviewees are on-campus by late August. Best of luck, I'll probably be an interview tour guide for some of you!

Dear Applicant:

We have received the following items which now completes your application:

-AMCAS Application
-Supplemental Application
-Application Fee
-Required Recommendation Letters

Your application has been reviewed. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail. We schedule interviews from late August thru February. Generally we interview about half of the applicants we receive. Please understand that the reviewing/scheduling processes can take a great deal of time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynn Coward, Director
Brody Student Admissions

Anyone else get this email??

I don't get it... Have they reviewed our applications or are they going to?

Nah I haven't yet and I turned back the secondary the second day

last email I got was this

"Dear Applicant:

We have received your Supplementary Application package (supplementary form, statement of residence, photo, personal essay, and application fee) and appreciate your continued interest in The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University...."

last email I got was this

"Dear Applicant:

We have received your Supplementary Application package (supplementary form, statement of residence, photo, personal essay, and application fee) and appreciate your continued interest in The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University...."

The email that I received last year resembled this and the other posted before quite closesly. One change, is that it appears they are starting to write "Interviews are scheduled August through February", where as last year in my email it said "Interviews are conducted September through April". This hints that they are possibly trying to get things started faster this year, so get your apps in if you haven't already!!

My application was not complete (when I recewived the email that you guys did) until late September, I received the 'complete' email 2 days after I submitted my secondary. I then received my interview invite in early November, so there was about a 1.5 month gap there.. this could have been extended by later submission but be patient with the intervew invites, I'm sure they're comin'!

Best of luck, look forward to seeing you on campus!

Just wanted to let everyone here know, interview invites are going out! Received mine earlier this morning; scheduled to interview August 23rd...hope to see some of you there!

EDIT: Secondary submitted 7/2

Did you guys get an email stating your app had been reviewed

Did you guys get an email stating your app had been reviewed

I received the following email on 7/13 (after submitting secondary on 7/2). It's the same email wolfpack1 posted:

------------------------------------------------------
Dear Applicant:

We have received the following items which now completes your application:

-AMCAS Application

-Supplemental Application
-Application Fee
-Required Recommendation Letters

Your application has been reviewed. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail. We schedule interviews from late August thru February. Generally we interview about half of the applicants we receive. Please understand that the reviewing/scheduling processes can take a great deal of time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------

So, to summarize: Secondary submitted 7/2, "Your application has been reviewed" email 7/13, interview invite 7/17. Interviews start the week of August 20th.

Oo ok you guys submitted first day. I turned it back 7/4 so I should get it sometime this week.

Thanks!

congrats guys! I submitted 7/9, hopefully I'll hear something next week

YAYAYAY just got an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called to schedule right when i got the email and they are closed :( so I will have to schedule tomorrow morning!

FYI, i never got a "complete" email. They emailed me saying my app is complete and they would like to sched an interview!

AMCAS verified 6/5
Secondary submitted 7/5
Complete email 7/6
Interview invite 7/17

...pretty quick timeline, especially considering the fact that many schools still haven't sent out secondaries.

I submitted my secondary 7/9, complete 7/10...really hope I get an interview!

Does Brody take AP credit for intro bio + lab? just writing AP in the course # spot and grade. . . it's on my UG transcript

dammit just found a dumb grammar mistake on my secondary

"helping people through providing clinical care and evolving the field of medicine through to improve clinical outcomes"

:boom:

Hi all, does anyone know if there is anyway to withdraw my secondary? And does it look bad if I apply to ECU again next year if they kept the record of my sending my primary, but never completed my secondary there? Thanks!

Hi all, does anyone know if there is anyway to withdraw my secondary? And does it look bad if I apply to ECU again next year if they kept the record of my sending my primary, but never completed my secondary there? Thanks!

I was in a similar situation last year. I submitted AMCAS to ECU, but didn't submit secondary for various reasons. Doing so doesn't seem to have prevented me from getting an interview invite.

If you've already submitted your secondary, I'm less sure about the ramifications of withdrawing at this point. However, if you have a really good reason for doing so (like a great job/volunteer opportunity) then I doubt they'll hold it against you.

thanks NCPremed. I will see you over at the UNC thread haha

I can't stop checking my email inbox :cool:, really hoping for an II...

Does anyone know what exactly the two interviewers have access to before the interview since it is semi-blind? Is it just mcat and gpa? Or also the personal statement?

Does anyone know what exactly the two interviewers have access to before the interview since it is semi-blind? Is it just mcat and gpa? Or also the personal statement?

From what I have read, it seems as though the interviewer has a folder with all your application materials which they can open during they interview if they chose. I think the "semi-blind" part means they don't get this information until the actual interview, and the interviewer may or may not choose to open it.

Could someone please post the prompts for the secondary?

Got an interview invite today. Interviewing August 22nd. Kinda surprised since my secondary essay was incredibly bad.

Secondary sent back 7/18. Fast turnaround.

Last edited:
@tarheel 1408, prompt is listed above by CodeRedDew

I got an interview invite 7/25/12 and I will be interviewing 8/30/12. I received the application complete e-mail 7/13/12.

Is there another app complete email after the "supplemental application complete"? My last LORs just showed up Wednesday, so I'm wondering if I should be getting another status email from Brody, or just worrying about why I haven't heard about an interview yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.