2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heh, I feel like my numbers put me at a huge disadvantage anyway. :/

Well, there is probably something great they see in you. Just as Earl Gray said, not everyone has amazing MCAT scores. Just go into your interview and be yourself!
 
Last edited:
On the topic of low MCAT scores- be prepared to address it, but only if your interviewer brings it up. One of my interviewers wanted to know why my "low" MCAT (a few below Harvard's average) didn't match up with my high GPA.

Don't fret about it too much, just something to keep in mind in case it comes up.
 
On the topic of low MCAT scores- be prepared to address it, but only if your interviewer brings it up. One of my interviewers wanted to know why my "low" MCAT (a few below Harvard's average) didn't match up with my high GPA.

Don't fret about it too much, just something to keep in mind in case it comes up.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your MCAT score? I'm just curious to see what they consider to be a "low score." Considering that it's Harvard, I wouldn't be surprised if they consider a 35 or 36 to be low.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't mind my asking, what is your MCAT score? I'm just curious to see what they consider to be a "low score." Considering that it's Harvard, I wouldn't be surprised if they consider a 35 or 36 to be low.

The average accepted is 36 and the median 37 (32-41 is 10-90th percentile range), so I don't think your guess is accurate.
 
Hm, then I don't know what that letter was for. My score was definitely nothing to write home about!

I called and asked. It seems anyone who checked either disadvantaged or URM on their MCAT and scored within a certain range consistent with previous matriculants could have received this letter. I took my MCAT late, in July, which is why I received it to apply for next year. I called the office, nonetheless, since I already have an active application (complete Oct 19th). They verified the letter has nothing to do with my application this year. Harvard is just trying to actively state that they are open to accepting applications from all backgrounds, and you don't have to have a 4.0 or a stellar MCAT to be considered for acceptance.

It was a nice sentiment, all other invitations I recieved to apply at a certain school were via e-mail...It's just cool receiving a letter with the Harvard emblem on it.
 
Last edited:
I called and asked. It seems anyone who checked either disadvantaged or URM on their MCAT and scored within a certain range consistent with previous matriculants could have received this letter. I took my MCAT late, in July, which is I received it to apply for next year. I called the office, nonetheless, since I already have an active application (complete Oct 22nd). They verified the letter has nothing to do with my application this year. Harvard is just trying to actively state that they are open to accepting applications from all backgrounds, and you don't have to have a 4.0 or a stellar MCAT to be considered for acceptance.

It was a nice sentiment, all other invitation I recieved to apply at a certain school were via e-mail...It's just cool receiving a letter with the Harvard emblem on it.

Well that makes more sense, thanks!
 
Any tips for those interviewing for NP. Or is Harvard similar to other interviews?

Same as other one-on-ones, except they're more likely to address any apparent weaknesses in your application since the committee will ask your interviewers about them. At least 3 people on my interview day said this. Other than that, there's just the insane amount of free time you may end up with since the day is unstructured. They suggest you bring work or a book to read; they mean it.
 
Same as other one-on-ones, except they're more likely to address any apparent weaknesses in your application since the committee will ask your interviewers about them. At least 3 people on my interview day said this. Other than that, there's just the insane amount of free time you may end up with since the day is unstructured. They suggest you bring work or a book to read; they mean it.

+1. I spoke with many of my fellow interviewees and they had their weaknesses brought up in their interviews. Strangely with me, they focused more on my life story and didn't really ask me any of what I perceived were my weaknesses.

It was extremely conversational-two way. They answered many questions about the school, curriculum, and students. I had a great time. Instead of reading a book, we walked around and tried to go to the library, but unfortunately it was closed the hours that we were walking around. Good luck👍
 
anyone who submitted in october get an ii yet?

I just received an interview invite today, submitted in mid October! Good luck, there are still many slots available (so I assume they will be sending out many more invitations).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone with US News know how many applicants HMS interviews and actually accepts? (not matriculates) I'm thinking # of acceptances will roughly be equal to # of matriculants for hms.
 
Well, there is probably something great they see in you. Just as Earl Gray said, not everyone has amazing MCAT scores. Just go into your interview and be yourself!
Hey, do you mind telling me how you explained the discrepancy between your GPA and MCAT score?
 
On the topic of low MCAT scores- be prepared to address it, but only if your interviewer brings it up. One of my interviewers wanted to know why my "low" MCAT (a few below Harvard's average) didn't match up with my high GPA.

Don't fret about it too much, just something to keep in mind in case it comes up.
Hey how did you explain the discrepancy between your GPA and MCAT score. I have the same problem.
 
Before the interview, Harvard asks us to fill out a pre-req check list. I somehow missed that they only accept AP chemistry as one semester of the inorganic requirement (2 semesters total). I never took another semester of inorganic in college because my pre-health advisers told me I did not need to, but I did complete organic I/II, biochemistry, and 2+ semesters of independent study (biology). I have already graduated, but I can take an extra course over the summer if necessary.

Will the fact that I have not filled this requirement put me at a disadvantage when they deliberate over whether to send me an acceptance letter?

Though I'm willing to take a course if necessary, if accepted will I possibly be able to negotiate with the admissions office an exemption from this requirement given a high PS score on my MCAT and a 5 on my AP test?

Thanks for the help and advice!
 
Before the interview, Harvard asks us to fill out a pre-req check list. I somehow missed that they only accept AP chemistry as one semester of the inorganic requirement (2 semesters total). I never took another semester of inorganic in college because my pre-health advisers told me I did not need to, but I did complete organic I/II, biochemistry, and 2+ semesters of independent study (biology). I have already graduated, but I can take an extra course over the summer if necessary.

Will the fact that I have not filled this requirement put me at a disadvantage when they deliberate over whether to send me an acceptance letter?

Though I'm willing to take a course if necessary, if accepted will I possibly be able to negotiate with the admissions office an exemption from this requirement given a high PS score on my MCAT and a 5 on my AP test?

Thanks for the help and advice!

I had a question regarding their requirements and they were extremely helpful. I would suggest calling them. I called their university number and just went through the process until they transferred me to the medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If only I was that lucky. Actually it was pre-interview. Perhaps send them a followup asking if it was added to your file.

You can also just call. I wanted to make sure they had received both of mine so I called and they were very accommodating and let me know that both were there and the date they received them.
 
I'm not applying but I have a question and figured this is the best place to ask rather than making a new thread. Forgive me if this has been asked already.

I heard that Harvard gives free tuition to families whose total income is under 60,000. I stumbled upon it on the website and this article although its a bit old

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/3/30/harvard-free-tuition-for-families-earning/

Does this program apply to medical students as well? Or is it undergrads only?
 
I'm not applying but I have a question and figured this is the best place to ask rather than making a new thread. Forgive me if this has been asked already.

I heard that Harvard gives free tuition to families whose total income is under 60,000. I stumbled upon it on the website and this article although its a bit old

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/3/30/harvard-free-tuition-for-families-earning/

Does this program apply to medical students as well? Or is it undergrads only?

Pretty sure it's undergrad only, they didn't mention anything like that for med students, although their aid is supposed to be generous
 
Undergrads only, but they do have a pretty sweet deal for medical school. You should look at their financial aid website. I have spoken to students before and after my interview and they have all pretty much stated that if your parents make less than 100K all you have to take out in loans is around 26k/year-this includes room and board. Not bad at all and probably better than most state schools.
 
From last year's thread it looks like the last wave of interviews goes out in January. The people receiving those interviews were from a wide variety of complete dates. Don't lose hope!

do you mean that the invites go out in jan, or that invites go out earlier for interviews in jan? thanks! haven't heard anything, and don't know if i should even have any more hope...
 
Complete in mid-July. 99% sure I'm done but still 1% hoping for an II in January!

It's so sad...I have totally been brainwashed by the Harvard brand...I mean, what differentiates medical schools from each other? Two words: money + prestige. That is literally it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete in mid-July. 99% sure I'm done but still 1% hoping for an II in January!

It's so sad...I have totally been brainwashed by the Harvard brand...I mean, what differentiates medical schools from each other? Two words: money + prestige. That is literally it.
 
Complete in mid-July. 99% sure I'm done but still 1% hoping for an II in January!

It's so sad...I have totally been brainwashed by the Harvard brand...I mean, what differentiates medical schools from each other? Two words: money + prestige. That is literally it.

What else is there? 😛
 
Complete in mid-July. 99% sure I'm done but still 1% hoping for an II in January!

It's so sad...I have totally been brainwashed by the Harvard brand...I mean, what differentiates medical schools from each other? Two words: money + prestige. That is literally it.

Really is debatable.... I wouldn't oversimplify it though
 
Debate it?

Definitely not this guy. First I'm studying for my last final, second debates on SDN are futile and can last a long time, and lastly there's no point ( I'm not going to convince anyone and they won't convince me). These talks for me are best left to do in person, not over the Internet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.