2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II!!!!!!!!!!!🙂

Why must you tease me Harvard? Do you really want me or are you just teasing me; knowing that I am not good enough for you.... Or am I????????
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed today! I had a student interviewer and a faculty member. It was really laid back and self-guided. Make sure you visit the museums! Best of luck 🙂
 
I have an interview next sat. can you elaborate more on your interviews? Types of questions? NP or HST?

Thanks

NP

The interviews are almost entirely based on your application so if you did research/volunteered etc be prepared to elaborate really well
 
Are there any interruptions to the interview schedule due to Hurricane Sandy? I'm scheduled to go on Nov 8th, so I hope things have calmed down by then, but I'm curious if interviews were rescheduled this week. Stay safe everyone! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any interruptions to the interview schedule due to Hurricane Sandy? I'm scheduled to go on Nov 8th, so I hope things have calmed down by then, but I'm curious if interviews were rescheduled this week. Stay safe everyone! 👍

Many interviews will be rescheduled. The student staying with us was one of three people who attended her interview today because she came in before Sandy over the weekend. I don't think there will be too much shuffling though.
 
Hey there, just wanted some advice. How is everyone prepping for these interviews. I know that Harvard has a more personal interview format that is highly based upon our applications, so it is advantageous to be able to talk well about our activities. But in terms of other prepping, what else did you all do? Is harvard big on ethics etc...
 
Wow really! I've just been using school resources for help here and working through mock questions with others... After this entire application process, I honestly don't have extra money to throw around lol. Any who I'm just going with the flow, make sure I'm relaxed and have fun with it. I'm so excited for this interview!
 
Some people have so much money to throw away that they buy private interview coaches. Never heard of anyone personally doing this but heard it from another applicant.

I do that. I pay in liquor, and the interview coaches are attractive women at the bar. You say stress interviews? I say cakewalks.
 
Seriously I think you just have to make sure to be ready for the more standard and expected questions, such as:

-whaaaat would ya do...if ya inherited a pizzeria from ya uncle?
 
LOInterest or LOIntent. The second, perhaps, the first, don't see the point. They know you're interested. They're Harvard.

Ehh, you can use that logic for any school. Why would you spend time and money on applications and interviews if you weren't interested? But thanks for your input.

I don't think Harvard is for everyone and I can see people not being interested after going to an interview their.

Anywho, perhaps ill do the latter when it comes closer to decision time or should I so it now?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ehh, you can use that logic for any school. Why would you spend time and money on applications and interviews if you weren't interested? But thanks for your input.

I don't think Harvard is for everyone and I can see people not being interested after going to an interview their.

Anywho, perhaps ill do the latter when it comes closer to decision time or should I so it now?

Yeah I agree. Harvard isn't for anyone. Especially not for people who cannot differentiate between their and there. Just kidding bro.
 
Yeah I agree. Harvard isn't for anyone. Especially not for people who cannot differentiate between their and there. Just kidding bro.

👍 definitely need to spend more time proofreading my phone messages..

One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that this school is for me. If I'm fortunate enough to be accepted, I'm definitely attending.
 
Ehh, you can use that logic for any school. Why would you spend time and money on applications and interviews if you weren't interested? But thanks for your input.

I don't think Harvard is for everyone and I can see people not being interested after going to an interview their.

Anywho, perhaps ill do the latter when it comes closer to decision time or should I so it now?

You can use the logic for any school, but LOIs are more pertinent when you're comparing, for example, your two state schools, or two schools that are on relatively equal standing. Harvard doesn't really have any competitors like that. UCSF and JHU may have equal if not better clinical programs, but neither has the name recognition, and schools like Yale that have the prestige and future-legacy-status as well don't have the wealth of resources. (Edit: this makes it sound like the rest of the schools aren't in the same league. They definitely are. But the stereotype of top students dropping everything to go to Harvard exists for a reason, be it justified or no.)

That being said, I'd wait until your interview season is definitely over, so your letter can at least seem as though you've taken every school and offer into account, but that's just me. Some schools may like an LOI in November. Personally, I plan to wait until I'm waitlisted before I start considering an LOI. Pragmatically, if I was an adcom and a student sent me an LOI before we'd even begun decisions, it wouldn't change my opinion substantially, but I'd know that if I did accept them, I don't have to give them scholarships/grants/etc.

One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that this school is for me. If I'm fortunate enough to be accepted, I'm definitely attending.

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think this sentiment is uncommon. What about Harvard do you think people wouldn't like?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the logic for any school, but LOIs are more pertinent when you're comparing, for example, your two state schools, or two schools that are on relatively equal standing. Harvard doesn't really have any competitors like that. UCSF and JHU may have equal if not better clinical programs, but neither has the name recognition, and schools like Yale that have the prestige and future-legacy-status as well don't have the wealth of resources.

That being said, I'd wait until your interview season is definitely over, so your letter can at least seem as though you've taken every school and offer into account, but that's just me. Some schools may like an LOI in November. Personally, I plan to wait until I'm waitlisted before I start considering an LOI. Pragmatically, if I was an adcom and a student sent me an LOI before we'd even begun decisions, it wouldn't change my opinion substantially, but I'd know that if I did accept them, I don't have to give them scholarships/grants/etc.



Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think this sentiment is uncommon. What about Harvard do you think people wouldn't like?

First, thanks for your input. I appreciate talking about these things with other people who are in my shoes.

If you have been to other schools like Cornell and Columbia, the students are way more happier than at Harvard. It seems like they study hard but they also have a great balance with other aspects of life. The students at Harvard were extremely intense. Although they have their societies and social events, I highly doubt that their social life could ever compare to other schools in the top. It seems that medicine has completely taken over their lives. Nevertheless, the students at Harvard seem to be doing amazing things as MEDICAL students, and they also have amazing mentors (Paul Farmer, Atul Gawande, etc.). I think there are many pro's/con's, but I also know that since medical school is going to be hard enough, many students would want to go to a school where they can pursue other things besides medicine, and be surrounded by individuals who are not pretentious gunners.

This is all just from my little bit of time in Boston and I could be completely wrong. For me, these sacrifices are worth it and the opportunity to do something tangible is beyond what I expected. Also, I thrive in these types of conditions; I would love to be next to individuals who are extremely ambitious and want to change the world. I just don't think everyone thinks like that. I'm not claiming I know everything or have a great grasp on what Harvard is or stands for, these were just my impressions. All the students I talked to said that they worked extremely hard and had no real time for themselves, but they also said they wouldn't give it up for the world. That's what I want.
 
Having interviewed at Harvard back in September, I did not gather the opinion that the students were not enjoying themselves or taking things too seriously. I had to stay an extra night because of the late interview day and I stayed with a host. My host took me out to a party with other Harvard students. And his other two roommates went to different parties with other medical students. Harvard students definitely have fun. Also, I thought the Harvard students were surprisingly normal people who were easy to talk to. They all said they were shocked to be accepted initially. Harvard is the top notch school in my opinion. Three of the best hospitals for adults and the best children's hospital in the country are all affiliated with the school. Research oops abound. Plus, you get the big H on your resume
 
First, thanks for your input. I appreciate talking about these things with other people who are in my shoes.

If you have been to other schools like Cornell and Columbia, the students are way more happier than at Harvard. It seems like they study hard but they also have a great balance with other aspects of life. The students at Harvard were extremely intense. Although they have their societies and social events, I highly doubt that their social life could ever compare to other schools in the top. It seems that medicine has completely taken over their lives. Nevertheless, the students at Harvard seem to be doing amazing things as MEDICAL students, and they also have amazing mentors (Paul Farmer, Atul Gawande, etc.). I think there are many pro's/con's, but I also know that since medical school is going to be hard enough, many students would want to go to a school where they can pursue other things besides medicine, and be surrounded by individuals who are not pretentious gunners.

This is all just from my little bit of time in Boston and I could be completely wrong. For me, these sacrifices are worth it and the opportunity to do something tangible is beyond what I expected. Also, I thrive in these types of conditions; I would love to be next to individuals who are extremely ambitious and want to change the world. I just don't think everyone thinks like that. I'm not claiming I know everything or have a great grasp on what Harvard is or stands for, these were just my impressions. All the students I talked to said that they worked extremely hard and had no real time for themselves, but they also said they wouldn't give it up for the world. That's what I want.

This is not impression I got at Harvard. When compared to other schools I interviewed at the Harvard students seemed less intense and more relaxed(especially compared to one NYC school *cough*Cornell*cough). I think it just goes to show that it is hard to get a feel for the environment during an interview day and it really could depend on who you interact with.
 
Having interviewed at Harvard back in September, I did not gather the opinion that the students were not enjoying themselves or taking things too seriously. I had to stay an extra night because of the late interview day and I stayed with a host. My host took me out to a party with other Harvard students. And his other two roommates went to different parties with other medical students. Harvard students definitely have fun. Also, I thought the Harvard students were surprisingly normal people who were easy to talk to. They all said they were shocked to be accepted initially. Harvard is the top notch school in my opinion. Three of the best hospitals for adults and the best children's hospital in the country are all affiliated with the school. Research oops abound. Plus, you get the big H on your resume

This is not impression I got at Harvard. When compared to other schools I interviewed at the Harvard students seemed less intense and more relaxed(especially compared to one NYC school *cough*Cornell*cough). I think it just goes to show that it is hard to get a feel for the environment during an interview day and it really could depend on who you interact with.

I stand happily corrected.. Perhaps, it was because I went on a Sat., or perhaps it is because of the small sample sizing. I enjoyed my day there and I'm glad that you guys did as well.
 
what was the interview day like and were the interviews open file?

There's not a lot/not anything scheduled other than your interviews and the lunch/tour. You're on your own to visit classes, visit the museums and stuff nearby, just chill, etc. And yes, interviews are open file. My interviewers were both quite familiar with my activities.
 
I think the Museum of Fine Arts is a quick walk from the medical school. And there's also the library, which has historic things like the skull of Phineas Gage.

There's a museum on top of one of the libraries that's adjacent to the main building. That's the one we were encouraged to go to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone knows whether we will be required to send our Fall grades in after they're posted? Thanks! 🙂
 
I'm sure they would have told us if it was mandatory.

I think some people use it as an excuse to update their file, but I'm just speculating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.