2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, also location.

Curriculum-wise, most schools are heading in the same direction. First two years prepare you for Step 1 basically and then clinical rotations and then match.

But I stand by my assertion that what really differentiates medical schools is endowment, money, NIH grants, etc. Money feeds into prestige, which is why Harvard has that brand today.

Members don't see this ad.

The prestige of 'Harvard' comes from the fact that the amount of labs that operate under Harvard is monstrous. You have 4 world-class hospitals in BWH, MGH, BIDMC, and McClean which each have an abundance of labs, with many PIs who are world-leaders in their fields. That's not including several other facilities all over the Boston area that operate under the Harvard banner. These labs generate A LOT of grant money, which is why Harvard is always number 1 on the US News rankings.

How does this really benefit you as a student? Basically not at all. If you are a MD/PhD or a HST student, you might have more options for what lab you want to work in, but that's about it (also keep in mind these labs are largely independent and have no obligations to train a medical student). In terms of location, I don't think there's much of anything that separates a HMS-trained MD from one trained at BU, Tufts, or UMass. In fact, I would say that any of those other medical schools probably have a slight advantage in having a much more diverse cross-section of patients, and also patients who would be grateful to just see a medical student instead of an attending.

In short, the only real advantage of attending HMS is being able to impress people who don't know any better.

Last edited:
^What puzzles me though is when HMS interviewees and students say that "The opportunities are endless!" Opportunities for what, exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of labs that operate under Harvard is monstrous. You have 4 world-class hospitals in BWH, MGH, BIDMC, and McClean which each have an abundance of labs, with many PIs who are world-leaders in their fields. That's not including several other facilities all over the Boston area that operate under the Harvard banner.

How does this really benefit you as a student? Basically not at all. If you are a MD/PhD or a HST student, you have a lot of options for what lab you want to work in, but that's about it. In terms of location, I don't think there's much of anything that separates a HMS-trained MD from one trained at BU, Tufts, or UMass. In fact, I would say that any of those other medical schools probably have a slight advantage in having a much more diverse cross-section of patients, and also patients who would be grateful to see a medical student.

In short, the only real advantage of attending HMS is being able to impress people who don't know any better.

Um. A lot of NP students also do research. And every school you listed will tell you on interview day (idk about UMASS)that where you go for med school does matter and that different med schools churn out different kinds of docs. So lets stop talking about "people who don't know any better"

^Why are you bringing in NP students into this debate?

And by "people who don't know any better", he could have been referring to laypeople.

Your point that different med schools churn out different kinds of docs I completely agree with. Some schools have a primary care focus, others churn out academics/researchers.

But at the same time, getting a MD degree from a top 10 medical school does not, in any way, mean that you will be a better doctor because you attended a top 10 medical school. That is really a problem not with just medical education, but in higher and professional education as well.

^What puzzles me though is when HMS interviewees and students say that "The opportunities are endless!" Opportunities for what, exactly?

I don't know. But if any current HMS students want to chime in with concrete examples, that would be great!

^Why are you bringing in NP students into this debate?

And by "people who don't know any better", he could have been referring to laypeople.

Your point that different med schools churn out different kinds of docs I completely agree with. Some schools have a primary care focus, others churn out academics/researchers.

But at the same time, getting a MD degree from a top 10 medical school does not, in any way, mean that you will be a better doctor because you attended a top 10 medical school. That is really a problem not with just medical education, but in higher and professional education as well.

Oh yeah, it's not a debate. I agree with that whole top 10 school-thing you said. But it's not just HST or MSTP students who benefit from the research side of things. And it's not just the "brand" that makes HMS special. Ultimately, is it the BEST school? Who knows! First we would all have to agree on what "best" means. In any case, we can stop trying to rip into HMS on this thread and instead focus it on questions and issues that can help all of us who applied/interviewed yeah?

Good luck!

Well, we're trying to get more information about HMS...other than it has a ton of research money and is affiliated with some of the best hospitals in the world.

What makes HMS special beyond that? Educate us.

Well, we're trying to get more information about HMS...other than it has a ton of research money and is affiliated with some of the best hospitals in the world.

What makes HMS special beyond that? Educate us.

You can't really debate if it is the "best". Like others have said, some schools are better at some things.

Harvard is always number 1 in research because the endowment and pilot programs are numerous so you can choose any kind of clinical or bench research you'd want to do.

The amazing hospitals provide opportunities for volunteering, studying, researching, and learning from top professionals in their field with great facilities. It has the benefit of having not just one high class hospital. You have Brigham and Womens, Boston Childrens, Dana Farber, Mass General, and 15 others associated hospitals all over the greater Boston area. This means you'll have the chance to be exposed to the best of each field, now whether or not you get a good experience in these fields ultimately depends on your supervisor. That's why it's hard to judge "best" at medical schools. The experience can vary greatly based on what you're looking for or your luck.

(FYI I work at HMS which is why I know about the opportunities :) )

For example, I am interested in Pediatrics/Primary Care and I know I will probably not be big into research so a school like University of Cincinnati would be great for me because they have just as good a Children's Hospital as Boston or Philly (and its in state so its cheaper). People invested in Primary Care would consider UNC or the West Coast a better set of schools because they are ranked higher.

Namesake in Medical school matters in different circles. If you're looking to go into research and academia, then name carries some weight, but physicians I've talked to who just practice say that no one cares where they went to medical school. They all advised me to go where it was cheap.

One of the residents I spoke to who attended UMass said many people he knew, who got into UMass and Harvard, chose UMass because it is significantly cheaper, but that is another personal preference thing.

The prestige of 'Harvard' comes from the fact that the amount of labs that operate under Harvard is monstrous. You have 4 world-class hospitals in BWH, MGH, BIDMC, and McClean which each have an abundance of labs, with many PIs who are world-leaders in their fields. That's not including several other facilities all over the Boston area that operate under the Harvard banner. These labs generate A LOT of grant money, which is why Harvard is always number 1 on the US News rankings.

Remove BIDMC and McClean(?), add BCH and DFCI, and I agree.

Sent from mobile

^McLean psychiatric hospital...one of the oldest psych hospitals I believe.

Thanks for your post blondiellie! From your post, I realize that what makes Harvard special is the networking opportunities, opportunities to meet leaders in any field, connect with scholars, Nobel prize researchers.

I'm just lamenting the fact that so many people have been brainwashed from an early age that Harvard is "the BEST" no questions asked. I'm someone who is simply tired of all this obsession with prestige (which is really an argument about pride and self-worth, which is definitely not determined by where you attend school.)

Remove BIDMC and McClean(?), add BCH and DFCI, and I agree.

Sent from mobile

You can also include Joslin Diabetes and Mass Eye and Ear. I am probably forgetting some others as well. The fact that 1 medical school has like 10 teaching hospitals is just ridiculous.

Honestly, if I had to say why Harvard is such a desirable medical school, I would just say it's because like 20% of the class matches back into a Harvard hospital. Your hospital for residency matters far and away more than your medical school, and Harvard residency directors will understandably have a bias for their employer.

One of the residents I spoke to who attended UMass said many people he knew, who got into UMass and Harvard, chose UMass because it is significantly cheaper, but that is another personal preference thing.

My girlfriend's roommate/landlord is a physician at MGH and went to HMS. When I talked with her about the issue of schools/prestige a long time ago, she said it largely doesn't matter as a medical student, and just encouraged me to choose the cheapest option. I'm also just a little bitter I haven't received an II at Harvard, so take my advice with a grain of salt :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. But if any current HMS students want to chime in with concrete examples, that would be great!

I think there are endless amounts of opportunity at every medical school, thus Harvard students aren't lying when they tell you that on interview day, but that also doesn't mean you're going to be worse off opportunity-wise somewhere else. It really is what you make of the opportunities and what you learn that matters more.

For concrete examples of things I love about Harvard:
- the ability to shadow just about any lecturer that comes in to speak, all you have to do is email them, and they're happy to tell you more about their field or bring you into clinic. Leading experts in multiple myeloma, rare skin cancers, inventors of cystic fibrosis drugs, etc. And the ability to conduct research with them.

- patient clinics: I don't know if this is something that other schools do, but by far one of my favorite things about our curriculum are the patients that our instructors bring in to make those textbook diseases real. Each patient is a miracle story, and you get so inspired by listening to the difficulties they've overcome. The diseases aren't just esoteric mutations or biochemical pathways anymore - they're human.

- professors who are giants in their fields: it's not the material they teach, but the viewpoint they convey. We just finished our genetics block, and our professors and tutorial leaders are people who have done genome-wide association identifications of genes previously unknown to be associated with diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome. Through their work, they've gained a unique perspective of how genes, the environment, ancestry, and other factors contribute to human disease. They're able to convey that perspective to us - is it step I material? Probably not. Will it help us take care of patients better in the future? Absolutely!

- classmates: no tutorial is complete without hearing about unique experiences from classmates who have had first-hand brushes with many of the topics we talk about in social medicine, health policy, and other subjects. Those are probably some of the most valuable opportunities.

At every school, there are going to be professors who are giants in their fields, amazing pre-ward patient contact, and diverse student bodies, but that doesn't mean that they're all the same. It really matters what school is the right fit for you. I love Harvard, and I think it's the best. For me. Come visit before you judge, and if it's not your cup of tea, then I hope we'll win you over for residency ;)

Gluck to those still waiting for interviews! It's not over yet, hang in there and have a happy holidays!

Interview invite for HST and New Pathway! Looks like a "hold"-esque status for MSTP though.
Complete: 10/16, II: 12/20, I: 02/04-05

(Sorry to interrupt the argument :p)

We just finished our genetics block, and our professors and tutorial leaders are people who have done genome-wide association identifications of genes previously unknown to be associated with diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome. Through their work, they've gained a unique perspective of how genes, the environment, ancestry, and other factors contribute to human disease. They're able to convey that perspective to us - is it step I material? Probably not. Will it help us take care of patients better in the future? Absolutely!

It's certainly not Step 1 material. But please explain how your knowledge of diabetes GWAS methods/results will help you manage a diabetic patient.

I think there are endless amounts of opportunity at every medical school, thus Harvard students aren't lying when they tell you that on interview day, but that also doesn't mean you're going to be worse off opportunity-wise somewhere else. It really is what you make of the opportunities and what you learn that matters more.

For concrete examples of things I love about Harvard:
- the ability to shadow just about any lecturer that comes in to speak, all you have to do is email them, and they're happy to tell you more about their field or bring you into clinic. Leading experts in multiple myeloma, rare skin cancers, inventors of cystic fibrosis drugs, etc. And the ability to conduct research with them.

- patient clinics: I don't know if this is something that other schools do, but by far one of my favorite things about our curriculum are the patients that our instructors bring in to make those textbook diseases real. Each patient is a miracle story, and you get so inspired by listening to the difficulties they've overcome. The diseases aren't just esoteric mutations or biochemical pathways anymore - they're human.

- professors who are giants in their fields: it's not the material they teach, but the viewpoint they convey. We just finished our genetics block, and our professors and tutorial leaders are people who have done genome-wide association identifications of genes previously unknown to be associated with diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome. Through their work, they've gained a unique perspective of how genes, the environment, ancestry, and other factors contribute to human disease. They're able to convey that perspective to us - is it step I material? Probably not. Will it help us take care of patients better in the future? Absolutely!

- classmates: no tutorial is complete without hearing about unique experiences from classmates who have had first-hand brushes with many of the topics we talk about in social medicine, health policy, and other subjects. Those are probably some of the most valuable opportunities.

At every school, there are going to be professors who are giants in their fields, amazing pre-ward patient contact, and diverse student bodies, but that doesn't mean that they're all the same. It really matters what school is the right fit for you. I love Harvard, and I think it's the best. For me. Come visit before you judge, and if it's not your cup of tea, then I hope we'll win you over for residency ;)

Gluck to those still waiting for interviews! It's not over yet, hang in there and have a happy holidays!

:thumbup:

Just got an II for NP, but it's not showing any available dates. Anybody having this problem?

I had two really wonderful interviews here recently and I'm so frustrated that I won't hear back until March. It's so hard to not get my hopes up! :(

Hey how did you explain the discrepancy between your GPA and MCAT score. I have the same problem.

Sorry, I just now saw this- I try to avoid these threads for the sake of my sanity :) If you (or anyone else) haven't had your interview yet and still want to know, shoot me a pm and I'll give you some specifics

It's certainly not Step 1 material. But please explain how your knowledge of diabetes GWAS methods/results will help you manage a diabetic patient.

Relatively recent research has shown how specific genes are associated with early onset, even neonatal, diabetes, collectively known as MODY. Even though the concept of MODY dates back to the 1960s, it's a great example of how genome wide association studies are identifying Mendelian forms of common diseases that were previously thought to not have genetic causes. This kind of awareness could help one be able to recognize this as a possibility in a failure-to-thrive baby or an older patient who hasn't been responding to typical diabetic treatments.

Our professors could have stopped there, but throughout the course, they really stressed that we're broaching just the tip of the ice berg in terms of what we can really deduce about genes and their influence on common diseases - we're still not sure how environment and other non-genetic factors also contribute. As I said, I appreciate the humbling mindset of learning about all these rare possibilities that might affect patients on the wards but also the sheer amount of things we don't know. I think it's important for a clinician not to zero in on causes for patients' diseases; every individual is different, and I've become a lot more open-minded after our genetics block. If it actually turns up in the wards a couple of years from now when I'm a third-year, I'll come back and let you know. Until then, I'm enjoying every moment of hearing about these kinds of discoveries from the very people responsible for them :)

Last edited:
wondering if people still get in after feeling like their interviews didn't go as well as they could have...

Relatively recent research has shown how specific genes are associated with early onset, even neonatal, diabetes, collectively known as MODY. Even though the concept of MODY dates back to the 1960s, it's a great example of how genome wide association studies are identifying Mendelian forms of common diseases that were previously thought to not have genetic causes. This kind of awareness could help one be able to recognize this as a possibility in a failure-to-thrive baby or an older patient who hasn't been responding to typical diabetic treatments.

That's confusing.
  • MODY genes were discovered by linkage analyses and candidate-gene studies. I suppose the 90s, when these studies were mostly done, can be considered "relatively recent," but they were certainly not GWAS.
  • MODY is a Mendelian form of diabetes. People knew these had genetic causes ever since the 1960s when it was clear that it ran in families with high penetrance. The most famous (70+ member) MODY1 pedigree was followed since the 60s.
  • GWAS is not used to identify rare Mendelian (i.e. high penetrance/large effect) diseases. Rather, GWAS is used to identify common variants with small effect associated with certain traits.
  • You don't need GWAS to tell you that common forms of diabetes has a genetic cause. People knew T2D had a genetic component long before GWAS. Monozygotic twin studies from 30 years ago showed high concordance, and segregation/linkage studies since then have estimated significant heritability.
  • The current state of GWAS for T2D accounts for <10% of its heritability. Even with hundreds of thousands of patients studied. That means the GWAS hits have limited clinical utility for risk prediction.
  • Yes, some GWAS hits for T2D phenotype overlap with MODY genes. But, in these cases, they don't provide any information that people didn't already know. You don't need to know GWAS to be aware that HNF1a is involved in beta-cell function and are the most common cause of monogenic diabetes.

Our professors could have stopped there, but throughout the course, they really stressed that we're broaching just the tip of the ice berg in terms of what we can really deduce about genes and their influence on common diseases - we're still not sure how environment and other non-genetic factors also contribute. As I said, I appreciate the humbling mindset of learning about all these rare possibilities that might affect patients on the wards but also the sheer amount of things we don't know. I think it's important for a clinician not to zero in on causes for patients' diseases; every individual is different, and I've become a lot more open-minded after our genetics block.

You're saying it's humbling to learn about the minutia in the domain of basic science that can rarely go wrong with a patient. You're saying it's important to refrain from making diagnoses because everyone can have an enormous differential diagnosis list that encompasses even undiscovered etiologies. To be frank, that sounds out of touch with the reality of clinical medicine.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-GWAS or anti-basic science. I think GWAS are useful as hypothesis generators, suggesting new molecular players in pathophysiology and pointing the way to novel drug targets. I think this genetics class is cool if the goal were to inspire a handful of students to do genetics research, to get everyone else excited and optimistic about the future of treating common polygenic diseases, and to tell docs how to handle patients who are distressed that 23andme told them they have a (GWAS-identified) gene that slightly increases their risk for a disease. But that's not how you construe the goal.

Here's my take. The goal of HMS is to produce leaders in areas related to medicine. One way it does this by exposing you to many areas of cutting edge research in classes, making you do a scholarly project, because leaders in academic medicine do research about highly specific topics. But with the content of these classes and PBL interspersed, HMS doesn't try at all to spoon feed you the information you need to become a competent clinician. Students only do well on boards because the admissions office has the luxury of accepting students who are (mostly) smart and self-motivated. Students stress the hell out second year (at least in NP) when they realize that they haven't learned that much (clinically/boards) relevant material through classes, and then they frantically learn everything through step 1 review books. It's a running joke at HMS that students don't really know anything, but they sure as hell know how to look it up. Some call this "flexibility" and spin it positively. Others call it "Harvard don't give a damn because it's Harvard, and HMS students will find a way to make it work."

I actually think it's kind of a positive, but it's certainly not for everyone (e.g. those who think a curriculum should primarily feed you high-yield knowledge). I think genetics research is cool, and I'm considering even getting involved in order to advance my academic credentials (and like, maybe discover stuff that might someday help patients). Harvard genetics research is absolute tops. But I won't delude myself into thinking my knowledge of how a GWAS is done or how variants in SLC30A8 are associated with T2D will affect how I diagnose and manage a failure-to-thrive baby or aging hyperglycemic patient not responding to insulin.

Here's my take. The goal of HMS is to produce leaders in areas related to medicine. One way it does this by exposing you to many areas of cutting edge research in classes, making you do a scholarly project, because leaders in academic medicine do research about highly specific topics. But with the content of these classes and PBL interspersed, HMS doesn't try at all to spoon feed you the information you need to become a competent clinician. Students only do well on boards because the admissions office has the luxury of accepting students who are (mostly) smart and self-motivated. Students stress the hell out second year (at least in NP) when they realize that they haven't learned that much (clinically/boards) relevant material through classes, and then they frantically learn everything through step 1 review books. It's a running joke at HMS that students don't really know anything, but they sure as hell know how to look it up. Some call this "flexibility" and spin it positively. Others call it "Harvard don't give a damn because it's Harvard, and HMS students will find a way to make it work."

I actually think it's kind of a positive, but it's certainly not for everyone (e.g. those who think a curriculum should primarily feed you high-yield knowledge). I think genetics research is cool, and I'm considering even getting involved in order to advance my academic credentials (and like, maybe discover stuff that might someday help patients). Harvard genetics research is absolute tops. But I won't delude myself into thinking my knowledge of how a GWAS is done or how variants in SLC30A8 are associated with T2D will affect how I diagnose and manage a failure-to-thrive baby or aging hyperglycemic patient not responding to insulin.

Yikes, I never meant to spike such a detailed discussion on T2D, and clearly you know a lot more about it than I do, but I don't think it's fair to completely ignore the potential of technology that may not be clinically realistic at the present time. Fifty years from now, we might be using GWAS in a much more relevant way once we understand how all the rare variants might influence each other or discover a missing link.

I still think being aware of GWAS and associated variants and being on the lookout in literature of more in the future will help you keep an open-mind. As a first year, maybe I'm still optimistic and probably still ignorant of how a lot of things actually work in practice, but I like to think that subconsciously, knowing this kind of stuff primes you to make connections when you see a case that's not your typical textbook, spoon-fed information.

In any case, I think many of my classmates will agree that being inspired by this frankly, really cool research, will make us go pursue it on our own and keep us excited. I can't imagine what lecture would be like if we're all just spoon-fed information we can read in textbooks. Are you a NP student anonymitas? If you are, I'm sorry you're so dissatisfied with the curriculum :( If you aren't, it's kind of harsh to label the entire class as not knowing anything... could we keep the discussion positive and the criticisms constructive to keep it useful for applicants? Thanks! :)

Merry Christmas guys! :D

If you aren't, it's kind of harsh to label the entire class as not knowing anything... could we keep the discussion positive and the criticisms constructive to keep it useful for applicants? Thanks! :)

Not to step in here too much, but what anonymitas posted was very relevant to students looking to make decisions regarding what school they choose; all perceptions need to be considered, including the negative ones. In that sense, the criticisms are constructive, and positivity for the sake of positivity doesn't help who this thread is aimed for: applicants trying to make a decision. We shouldn't need to obsess about toeing the line of what is and isn't a generality.

It would be bad if applicants get caught up in the day to day rationalizations medical students use to get through the worst parts of their days, so I caution people on that. We need to make the best decision we can, and that involves getting as much information as possible (for those of us who aren't planning to let prestige decide our course).

Happy holidays! :)

Not to step in here too much, but what anonymitas posted was very relevant to students looking to make decisions regarding what school they choose; all perceptions need to be considered, including the negative ones. In that sense, the criticisms are constructive, and positivity for the sake of positivity doesn't help who this thread is aimed for: applicants trying to make a decision. We shouldn't need to obsess about toeing the line of what is and isn't a generality.

It would be bad if applicants get caught up in the day to day rationalizations medical students use to get through the worst parts of their days, so I caution people on that. We need to make the best decision we can, and that involves getting as much information as possible (for those of us who aren't planning to let prestige decide our course).

Happy holidays! :)

I agree that constructive criticism is definitely needed to help people make the best informed decision, and there were lots of valid points in anonymitas's post that students should consider: the curriculum not being taught to step I, focus on research that might not be currently clinically relevant, etc. I considered those myself when I was choosing last year. But generalizations aren't beneficial and don't really do the student population justice.

I know most of my classmates really want to take care of patients well when we get on the wards, and we actively seek out resources that help us fill in any knowledge gaps. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to generalize that HMS students in general know very little by the time they hit the wards or residency. The curriculum might not be designed to spoon-feed us the information, but we still get it by actively sharing resources, preparing in the same way other students prepare for Step I, and motivating one another. I think it's true for a lot of med schools, and not something that is unique to Harvard. The sheer amount of information we need to know can't be taught completely in lectures - all med students now and in the future will have to supplement what is taught by studying on their own.

In any case, I'm glad you find the discussion helpful Bearstronaut! And I hope we gave you more of an impression than just prestige during your visit! Honestly from day to day when we're studying or just hanging out, we're just normal people, and I'd even dare to say that a lot of us are uncomfortable and sad when people think we picked based on prestige rather than opportunities, or classmates, or living in Boston haha.

I love Harvard and there's a reason why I chose this school, so naturally I'm more biased towards presenting the positive points, but biased doesn't mean rose-colored, nor do they mean exaggerated and false. Similarly, not everything critical is true. I hope people do chime in about concerns, especially when decision time rolls around, and but more importantly, come to revisit! Then you can talk to a lot more students and get a feel for yourself.

That's the discussion I was looking for ;) I didn't mean that prestige comment to be as implicative as it may have been taken, but it's true many people will drop everything to go to Harvard because Harvard. Prestige isn't a negative factor to me at all, but I try to ignore it as much as possible :)

Hope you're having a great 25th, though, silverwing! Your love of your school is definitely palpable, and I'm glad you're sharing it with us :)

In any case, I think many of my classmates will agree that being inspired by this frankly, really cool research, will make us go pursue it on our own and keep us excited. I can't imagine what lecture would be like if we're all just spoon-fed information we can read in textbooks. Are you a NP student anonymitas? If you are, I'm sorry you're so dissatisfied with the curriculum :( If you aren't, it's kind of harsh to label the entire class as not knowing anything... could we keep the discussion positive and the criticisms constructive to keep it useful for applicants? Thanks! :)

Merry Christmas guys! :D

lol maybe I was too negative. I am not "so dissatisfied with the curriculum." I wouldn't choose elsewhere probably. I just think that it seems to cater towards certain goals that perhaps not all prospective med students would share or are aware of. In addition, boards alignment and clinical relevance in the preclinical curriculum is a common complaint, to varying degrees, at many schools, not just HMS.

Also I didn't mean to label the class as not knowing anything. I was pointing out that that is a joke held by some members of the extended Harvard medical community, at least that I've heard of. HMS students perform pretty decently on Step 1, so they obviously somehow end up learning what they need to learn. And residencies love HMS students, which they wouldn't if it were clear they didn't know anything.

goooo hahvahd.

Who have you guys been sending your LOI's to?

This came up in conversation during my HST interview day, and Zara Smith (HST interview coordinator/email account manager) said that in previous years she'd get a gazillion letters of intent the day after people interviewed, and basically she discouraged people from sending them because it's pretty clear that Harvard is a top choice for most people. Update letters are probably fine post-interview, but letters of intent to Harvard in this day and age are pretty meaningless :oops: I'm sure this goes for New Pathway as well :laugh:

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up!

This came up in conversation during my HST interview day, and Zara Smith (HST interview coordinator/email account manager) said that in previous years she'd get a gazillion letters of intent the day after people interviewed, and basically she discouraged people from sending them because it's pretty clear that Harvard is a top choice for most people. Update letters are probably fine post-interview, but letters of intent to Harvard in this day and age are pretty meaningless :oops: I'm sure this goes for New Pathway as well :laugh:

Thanks for the response. Did anyone on the NP have a similar experience during their interview?

Interview invite for HST and New Pathway! Looks like a "hold"-esque status for MSTP though.
Complete: 10/16, II: 12/20, I: 02/04-05

(Sorry to interrupt the argument :p)

Hi Backflip72, mind sharing your stats? I was complete 10/20 and I am trying to figure out whether I have a shot. thanks!!

So if we've been complete since August is it over for us?

So if we've been complete since August is it over for us?

So when people say they are marked "complete", is that when you get the email saying that your secondary has been marked complete? or is there another email that says that your whole application is complete?

People who had their interviews already - how did they go?

Hey guys. Are interviewers held indoors? I noticed boston weather is like 42 high / 36 low. Has this affected interview wear at all for guys? Im wondering if the normal suit jacket will suffice. Sorry.. a cali boy here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.