2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When does the interview day usually end? Does not say on the information page.

It depends when your interviews end, so it could be anywhere from early afternoon to late afternoon. I'd be surprised if they scheduled interviews later than ~4, most people are probably done by 5. I'm just speculating though 🙂
 
When does the interview day usually end? Does not say on the information page.

Depends when you're scheduled. I was there until about 5pm because my last interview was at 4pm. Some people were done as early as 3pm on my interview day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interviews were done at noon and then I stayed for lunch/tour with the med students. I think I was the exception though, most had an interview after lunch.
 
I was complete on 9/3 and have heard nothing but crickets. Should I be worried at this point? I guess Harvard's a long shot for just about anyone anyway though. Congrats to those of you with II's.
 
Is it worth it to send Harvard an "in the area" email or are they not responsive to something like that (given that it's Harvard)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anybody is always "in the area" for harvard 😛😛😛😛😛 probably not unless you have BU and Tufts already coordinated. I highly doubt they'd do anything because it's harvard :laugh:

So because it's Harvard, they're going to be generally unhelpful and unfriendly?

I don't understand the obsession with putting this school on a pedestal. It's great, yeah, but that doesn't turn it into a magical bastion of elitism.

Send the ITA in. It can't hurt, especially if you're coming from the west coast.
 
So because it's Harvard, they're going to be generally unhelpful and unfriendly?

I don't understand the obsession with putting this school on a pedestal. It's great, yeah, but that doesn't turn it into a magical bastion of elitism.

Send the ITA in. It can't hurt, especially if you're coming from the west coast.

Haha, everything I read on SDN prepared for rampent elitism during my interview. Needless to say that was not what I encountered, everyone was pretty normal.

I agree with Bearstronaut, sending an ITA probably couldn't hurt but could possibly save you tons of cash...go for it?
 
I don't understand the obsession with putting this school on a pedestal. It's great, yeah, but that doesn't turn it into a magical bastion of elitism.

This.

My interviewers were very nice and the marble building is simply beautiful...blah blah blah. However, I found it kind of strange that every other interviewee on my day was seemingly from top top schools (read: H, Y, P, etc.) Obviously they interview state kids, but , come on, really?

Neither me or my SO were crazy about boston (have been there several times before). Bit too crowded. Very expensive COL. Vandy would not be a viable option for me...and of course the liberal dose of fabled "mass-holes".

One of the students that I spoke with on my day wasn't very fond of the scholarly projects (or whatever they call them)... the curriculum seems to be the same as every other school for the most part. In retrospect, not sure it is the best fit for me personally.

All that said, the research opportunities, networking and "pedigree" are second to none.

I'm very happy that I got the opportunity to see what H has to offer and what H med students are like (i.e. the same as med students at every other top ~30 I've been to... Tots described the "people" accurately as "normal". There is awesome people at all these schools. I didn't notice anything "extra awesome" about H's people.) This is nice because, when march arrives and H delivers my rejection, it won't hurt too badly. 😉
 
Last edited:
This.

My interviewers were very nice and the marble building is simply beautiful...blah blah blah. However, I found it kind of strange that every other interviewee on my day was seemingly from top top schools (read: H, Y, P, etc.) Obviously they interview state kids, but , come on, really?

Neither me or my SO were crazy about boston (have been there several times before). Bit too crowded. Very expensive COL. Vandy would not be a viable option for me...and of course the liberal dose of fabled "mass-holes".

One of the students that I spoke with on my day wasn't very fond of the scholarly projects (or whatever they call them)... the curriculum seems to be the same as every other school for the most part. In retrospect, not sure it is the best fit for me personally.

All that said, the research opportunities, networking and "pedigree" are second to none.

I'm very happy that I got the opportunity to see what H has to offer and what H med students are like (i.e. the same as med students at every other top ~30 I've been to... Tots described the "people" accurately as "normal". There is awesome people at all these schools. I didn't notice anything "extra awesome" about H's people.) This is nice because, when march arrives and H delivers my rejection, it won't hurt too badly. 😉

Ditto, pretty much, though my SO is CRAZY about Boston. I liked it well enough for a US city.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you interviewed for HST? If so, what is the interview day like? I've been told it's very different from "traditional" MD interviews, but can't find much info online...
 
anybody is always "in the area" for harvard 😛😛😛😛😛 probably not unless you have BU and Tufts already coordinated. I highly doubt they'd do anything because it's harvard :laugh:

i just saw your stats on mdApps. how in the world someone manages stats like that??! 15 on the verbal?!!! lol, im sure you get this quite often, but r u just relentless in your pursuits or just plain genius?
also, it says ur East Asian, im just curious what region exactly? India?
 
I'm sorry, but what is SO? I'm just very curious. I've tried very hard to decipher, but I have given up.
 
This.

My interviewers were very nice and the marble building is simply beautiful...blah blah blah. However, I found it kind of strange that every other interviewee on my day was seemingly from top top schools (read: H, Y, P, etc.) Obviously they interview state kids, but , come on, really?

Neither me or my SO were crazy about boston (have been there several times before). Bit too crowded. Very expensive COL. Vandy would not be a viable option for me...and of course the liberal dose of fabled "mass-holes".

One of the students that I spoke with on my day wasn't very fond of the scholarly projects (or whatever they call them)... the curriculum seems to be the same as every other school for the most part. In retrospect, not sure it is the best fit for me personally.

All that said, the research opportunities, networking and "pedigree" are second to none.

I'm very happy that I got the opportunity to see what H has to offer and what H med students are like (i.e. the same as med students at every other top ~30 I've been to... Tots described the "people" accurately as "normal". There is awesome people at all these schools. I didn't notice anything "extra awesome" about H's people.) This is nice because, when march arrives and H delivers my rejection, it won't hurt too badly. 😉

It might have just been that particular day that the rest of your interviewee pool was from HYPSM. I've hosted a number of applicants this season and every one (except one) was from a state school or a small private institution.

As for Boston, it's definitely on the less crowded side for cities. Having just gotten back from NYC over Thanksgiving break, I'm still feeling the relief and joy of being back here. As for affordable living, I'm a five-minute walk away from TMEC and paying less than what people pay in Vandy each month - it's possible, you just have to look! Lots of other couples are living off campus for affordable prices as well.

I'm sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea, but just wanted to provide an alternative view for those who might have your concerns but do find the students unique, the curriculum interesting, and Boston appealing!

Leaving with this: The City of Boston
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It might have just been that particular day that the rest of your interviewee pool was from HYPSM. I've hosted a number of applicants this season and every one (except one) was from a state school or a small private institution.

As for Boston, it's definitely on the less crowded side for cities. Having just gotten back from NYC over Thanksgiving break, I'm still feeling the relief and joy of being back here. As for affordable living, I'm a five-minute walk away from TMEC and paying less than what people pay in Vandy each month - it's possible, you just have to look! Lots of other couples are living off campus for affordable prices as well.

I'm sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea, but just wanted to provide an alternative view for those who might have your concerns but do find the students unique, the curriculum interesting, and Boston appealing!

Leaving with this: The City of Boston

Umm... where do you live and where do people usually search for cheap apartments near the school? Thanks.
 
Umm... where do you live and where do people usually search for cheap apartments near the school? Thanks.

Popular neighborhoods include Mission Hill, Coolidge Corner, Fenway, Brookline. There's a Harvard-affiliated trading post website that lists apartment/sublet openings, which is how we found our place. The places are usually around the campus or near public transportation that reaches campus easily. It's also catered towards students/health care professionals and less sketchy than say, Craigslist, since it requires a log-in.
 
It might have just been that particular day that the rest of your interviewee pool was from HYPSM. I've hosted a number of applicants this season and every one (except one) was from a state school or a small private institution.

As for Boston, it's definitely on the less crowded side for cities. Having just gotten back from NYC over Thanksgiving break, I'm still feeling the relief and joy of being back here. As for affordable living, I'm a five-minute walk away from TMEC and paying less than what people pay in Vandy each month - it's possible, you just have to look! Lots of other couples are living off campus for affordable prices as well.

I'm sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea, but just wanted to provide an alternative view for those who might have your concerns but do find the students unique, the curriculum interesting, and Boston appealing!

Leaving with this: The City of Boston

Oh, I agree... Boston's population density is much better than NYC (I think it's less than half).

Heh, that's a reason I didn't even apply to any schools in NYC (and considering the quality of some of those institutions, it was VERY tempting).

I'm more of a "5000 people sq/mi" kinda guy. 🙂

I do think it's a great place to visit though; a lot of history in that city. Who knows -- maybe our tastes will change and I'll find myself there for residency.
 
Last edited:
When I interviewed I was the only interviewee from a state school. The other 9 people all attended private universities (mostly Ivy). I found it to be somewhat intimidating. Can any current students from state schools comment on their experience at Harvard thus far?
 
When I interviewed I was the only interviewee from a state school. The other 9 people all attended private universities (mostly Ivy). I found it to be somewhat intimidating. Can any current students from state schools comment on their experience at Harvard thus far?

Cosign. Had an identical experience.
 
I think you guys should stop caring or being intimidated by others' schools. That is a reflection of where you were at in life when you were 17 years old. When you are at an interview you are on equal ground, regardless of whether you come from am ore or less recognizable institution. If you are interviewing at HMS then there is no reason to have a complex about where you went to school. There is no lack of people from every top school in the country who would kill to be in your situation.

I wasn't intimidated, nor did I particularly care. Just though it was an interesting selection issue.
 
According to their website, the first HST interview day is next week. I'm not going until December, but I've heard from friends that interviewed there in previous years that it's pretty straightforward and they ask you about your research and stuff. The only thing different about it is that you have several interviewers at the same time (like Feinberg, except it's you vs. the interview panel), so in that regard it's different from the "traditional" interview, but it's not a crazy high-pressure interview (no bolted windows!) lol. When are you interviewing? I'll post my experience here in a couple weeks!

So what I've heard about the rapid-fire, extremely-detailed research grilling sessions is unfounded?

I'm also interviewing in December. Best of luck to you!
 
I think you guys should stop caring or being intimidated by others' schools. That is a reflection of where you were at in life when you were 17 years old. When you are at an interview you are on equal ground, regardless of whether you come from am ore or less recognizable institution. If you are interviewing at HMS then there is no reason to have a complex about where you went to school. There is no lack of people from every top school in the country who would kill to be in your situation.

I just found it to be an interesting choice to batch together is all. I'm sure it's a humbling experience for everyone who's lucky enough to be intervieweed
 
I just found it to be an interesting choice to batch together is all. I'm sure it's a humbling experience for everyone who's lucky enough to be intervieweed

I don't think that they were trying to put batches together -- scheduling seemed more chaotic than that. Don't forget that changes in financial aid policies a few years ago at many of the big-name private schools made them just as attractive as state schools for those of us with lower income families (and that carries over to HMS as well!). Here's hoping...
 
Wow...I just go a letter in the mail from Harvard....I thought it was a rejection....which made me feel bad because I was under the impression they don't start rejecting people until later! I was thinking, "Man, they must really think I suck!"

It was actually a letter congratulating on my MCAT scores, and encouraging me to apply next year.....
 
Thanks, best of luck to you too! <3 <3

Yeah I think Harvard lightened up on their grilling and stress interviews significantly. Especially when I interviewed for NP in September I was pleasantly surprised with how nice everybody was and how easy-going the interviewers were 😍

The HST interview is a whole different ball game from the fuzzy wuzzy of NP. Be prepared to give a chalk talk of your research to two faculty or two faculty plus an MD/PhD student. Many people have said their HST MD interview was more stressful than their MD/PhD interviews.
 
Last edited:
This.

My interviewers were very nice and the marble building is simply beautiful...blah blah blah. However, I found it kind of strange that every other interviewee on my day was seemingly from top top schools (read: H, Y, P, etc.) Obviously they interview state kids, but , come on, really?

Neither me or my SO were crazy about boston (have been there several times before). Bit too crowded. Very expensive COL. Vandy would not be a viable option for me...and of course the liberal dose of fabled "mass-holes".

One of the students that I spoke with on my day wasn't very fond of the scholarly projects (or whatever they call them)... the curriculum seems to be the same as every other school for the most part. In retrospect, not sure it is the best fit for me personally.

All that said, the research opportunities, networking and "pedigree" are second to none.

I'm very happy that I got the opportunity to see what H has to offer and what H med students are like (i.e. the same as med students at every other top ~30 I've been to... Tots described the "people" accurately as "normal". There is awesome people at all these schools. I didn't notice anything "extra awesome" about H's people.) This is nice because, when march arrives and H delivers my rejection, it won't hurt too badly. 😉

You'll find that every top 10 medical school you go to will have a relatively large number of people from 1) their affiliated undergrad and 2) HYPSM tier undergrads. These are the major feeders. Yale med even has more Harvard undergrads than Yale undergrads. The top two most represented undergrads over the last 15 years at WashU are WashU and Harvard. However, the majority of people in the class at these top med schools will be from a bunch of random undergrads not in either of those two categories. If you want a top med school that has fewer elitists in general, choose a school with a weaker undergrad relative to their med school (namely, Hopkins, WashU, and UCSF). Maybe also Stanford, I guess, because they're less elitist than East Coasters in general.

If you pay enough attention, you can notice a difference in culture and attitudes. This is coming from a former HYPSM undergrad at one of the aforementioned med schools.
 
So I interviewed in October, wonderful experience

Since then I have become quite close with one of my Humanities professors and believe he would write me a raving letter of recommendation.

Does anyone think there is a point of sending this letter now? Is there even a way to go about this?

Thanks
 
Wow...I just go a letter in the mail from Harvard....I thought it was a rejection....which made me feel bad because I was under the impression they don't start rejecting people until later! I was thinking, "Man, they must really think I suck!"

It was actually a letter congratulating on my MCAT scores, and encouraging me to apply next year.....

I got this, too. My MCAT is lower than the median, but I applied anyway and am interviewing. I think most (all?) people get this letter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get a letter, my mcat is also lower than their median and I will be interviewing as well.
 
Well congrats to both of you two for receiving interviews! I had such a wonderful experience at HMS during my interview day. The students were extremely friendly and great to talk to. I actually enjoyed the free time they offered us during the day as I was able to wander around campus at my leisure. I love the city of Boston and could really see myself living there- I'm a big city type of person 🙂 Can't wait until March.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.