2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By complete do you guys mean received? But I also have the green arrow by the "Application File Complete" but no date under "Notes"

I just have the green check mark too. My email just said application received.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Harvard silent reject or should I still have some hope? Complete 9/10 and not really expecting much!

Does Harvard silent reject or should I still have some hope? Complete 9/10 and not really expecting much!

I do believe they silent reject. However, if you were complete 9/10 that really is not that long ago. This is the busy season and it is possible they have not even seen your file yet.

All decisions including rejections come out in March, and there are no rolling decisions. So if you haven't heard from them yet, don't assume it's a rejection! They interview all the way through January, so it's still early :)

Has anyone with an II had any luck getting a host? I have emailed 5 people on the list and none of them have responded...

I was in a similar situation and sent out a flurry of emails the week before my interview but i was able to get a host. Good luck!

Has anyone with an II had any luck getting a host? I have emailed 5 people on the list and none of them have responded...

Sorry to hear that no one responded! When's your interview date? It might be that it's the week of a block midterm or final exam. Some of my friends have been fielding four to five requests for most weeks, and there are a lot of facebook threads where hosts will ask others to cover if they can't do a particular night. Just a general tip to anyone else having trouble: try to ask someone of the same gender as well. Some of the rooms in Vandy are a little tight, so some people might not feel comfortable hosting the opposite gender, and there are a number of requests that have come through with that situation.

tonguetalker, if you pm me your interview date and gender, I can ask on our facebook thread for you

All applicants must select one or both of the following:
The New Pathway Program
The Harvard-MIT Division of Health, Sciences and Technology (HST) Program

Dumb question but which one is for their regular MD program? I've never heard of either of these until now

All applicants must select one or both of the following:
The New Pathway Program
The Harvard-MIT Division of Health, Sciences and Technology (HST) Program

Dumb question but which one is for their regular MD program? I've never heard of either of these until now

New Pathway is the regular MD program.

Although I'm interviewing for NP, I had luck getting a host that was HST. All the NP hosts I emailed either didn't respond or were unavailable, but I guess since HST wasn't doing interviews yet they were more available. Just a thought if you're really desperate.

Do they send you the host list? I got my II on thursday and still havent received the list. The link to the list in my secondary application does not work either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send you the host list? I got my II on thursday and still havent received the list. The link to the list in my secondary application does not work either.

Someone from admissions emailed the host list shortly after my interview invite. Maybe wait until after Monday and email?

Anyone know when HST interviews start rolling?

Just got an II for HST today, but nothing yet from NP...really hope they'll be back to back

Isn't it possible to speak with them and ask them to consider doing so? As in, they should be considering your application for an NP interview soon so you can do so. You'd think this would be done automatically, but maybe ask politely if it's done?

I think you're the first reported HST though, congratulations! I'm jealous. Considering we have similar LizzyM's and app dates, hopefully I'll be as lucky as you!

For the above poster, his stats are in his post history. He has a 3.7 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 37R MCAT and was complete mid-July to mid-August.

Isn't it possible to speak with them and ask them to consider doing so? As in, they should be considering your application for an NP interview soon so you can do so. You'd think this would be done automatically, but maybe ask politely if it's done?

I think you're the first reported HST though, congratulations! I'm jealous. Considering we have similar LizzyM's and app dates, hopefully I'll be as lucky as you!

For the above poster, his stats are in his post history. He has a 3.7 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 37R MCAT and was complete mid-July to mid-August.

cool -- thanks .. missed that.

II (a few days ago) for NP - scheduled for 11/8/12

(both) 3.9/39Q OOS
Submitted 9/18/12

Good luck everyone!

Just curious, how many acceptances does Harvard send out. Exactly 165 or more than that? I know some schools over accept because they know that people will reject them, but who would reject Harvard :)

Last edited:
Just curious, how many acceptances does harvad send out. Exactly 165 or more than that? I know some schools over accept because they know that people will reject them, but who would reject harvard :)

I believe they accept ~225.

Just curious, how many acceptances does harvad send out. Exactly 165 or more than that? I know some schools over accept because they know that people will reject them, but who would reject harvard :)

I believe that the most recent figure was that 74% of the people accepted by Harvard choose to matriculate. It is the highest amongst private schools - only a few state schools are higher than them. Don't ask me for the source because I don't remember - it might have been a NYT article or something, but I remember accepting their report because it was a very reliable source. Of course, I'm not a reliable source for all of you, so you can take this for whatever it's worth.

US news says 223 accepted and 165 matriculated, which is 74%

Got this in the mail today.

5wXGj.jpg

Got this in the mail today.

5wXGj.jpg

Quoting this for the 10th time because it's so awesome. I seriously laughed out hard in lecture right now. Oh lawd.

Just got an II for HST today, but nothing yet from NP...really hope they'll be back to back

Ok, heard back from NP, so happy! Never thought I'd be able to interview for both, ah let the nerves begin

Question here: if my app was complete early October when can I expect to hear back?

minor question: for those who stayed with a student host in Vandy, is there a couch or will I be sleeping on the floor?

minor question: for those who stayed with a student host in Vandy, is there a couch or will I be sleeping on the floor?

Interested in what Harvard applicants have to say about this as well.

Probably the floor. The rooms sizes vary a huge amount in Vandy, so you could be staying in a corner closet or a penthouse. Just kidding. But really, some people have no space for a couch/cot but others can fit one in their room. Talk to your specific student host, but prepare for the floor.

II via status update! Surprisingly, no email, so I dont actually know if i got it today or before. first date available was october 25 and most of the dates are november dates. i dont think they have opened up december yet.

II via status update! Surprisingly, no email, so I dont actually know if i got it today or before. first date available was october 25 and most of the dates are november dates. i dont think they have opened up december yet.

Damn, what an application cycle you are having. Congrats.

Congratulations! That's great! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

II by email. next openings in november.

First interview invite! Non-trad, non-URM, complete 9/20. Hopefully Harvard will show me some love. Happy day!

Status
Not open for further replies.