2012-2013 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. What did you guys do for the "Describe your interests" essay? Is it supposed to relate to the boxes you checked on the thing up above?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question. What did you guys do for the "Describe your interests" essay? Is it supposed to relate to the boxes you checked on the thing up above?
I haven't worked on that one yet but I was wondering the same thing. I think it's supposed to relate to the boxes but it's not clear.

I haven't worked on that one yet but I was wondering the same thing. I think it's supposed to relate to the boxes but it's not clear.

I think it IS supposed to relate to the boxes. that's what I'm doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else think this secondary is more profound/deep than others?

Anyone else think this secondary is more profound/deep than others?

Yea, this one is taking me longer than all other FL schools. Makes me want to go meditate or something to see if I can come with something interesting.

Essay 1 asks about applicants that aren't full-time. Should it be left blank if I am full time? I'm planning on being less than full-time in the Spring so I guess I could explain that part.

Essay 1 asks about applicants that aren't full-time. Should it be left blank if I am full time? I'm planning on being less than full-time in the Spring so I guess I could explain that part.
I am leaving it blank, but I'll be a full-time student all year. Since you won't be, you should probably mention something.

What's everyone doing in terms of the word limit? closer to 250 or 500?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the secondary prompts please? :)

This secondary is actually taking me really long. Need to just wrap it up and keep going..so much introspection!

What's everyone doing in terms of the word limit? closer to 250 or 500?

I did closer to 500. My intro/extro essay was 498, and my other was 464. For the special professional interests essay I had a little less with 384 words.

For the additional info essay, is everyone answering it? Does anyone know if it's supposed to be a full-length essay that everyone writes or more of an "if you have any new updates put them here if not leave it blank"?

EDIT: I know it says optional but I'm worried it's one of those things that looks bad if you don't do it even if it's technically optional.

For the additional info essay, is everyone answering it? Does anyone know if it's supposed to be a full-length essay that everyone writes or more of an "if you have any new updates put them here if not leave it blank"?

EDIT: I know it says optional but I'm worried it's one of those things that looks bad if you don't do it even if it's technically optional.

I definitely wrote one for it. It was actually my longest at 499 words. I wrote about my hobbies and other things that weren't mentioned in my primary and secondary essays.

If you were on the adcom and you saw people who completed an optional essay and a few people who did not, who would you consider more motivated? I feel like it being an option is merely a trick to catch those who are lazy. In other words, write it.

Also, I submitted my secondary here earlier today! Good luck to all!!

Interview invite this morning! So excited, this is an incredible medical school. For real.

Interview invite this morning! So excited, this is an incredible medical school. For real.

Congrats!!!

Ugh, I just got an email this morning saying that they had not received all my letters (which they had). Apparently there was a system error so I wasn't complete. >_>

Congrats again!

Do they send an email when you are complete? I have all of the green checks on the application page.

Yes they do send a complete email. I received one the day after I submitted my secondary and paid to apply to UF professional schools.

Congrats! That's exciting! I guess you are part of the first batch of interviews? Just a heads up: Last year the interview day was really long. I think part of it was to see how you handled yourself during a 8-9 hour day with little to no breaks. All my interviews went over and I was left scrambling from session to session. It was a great day though and highly enjoyed everything the school presented.

All that said, I'm sure I'll see you there, we start this week! I hope the free lunches are still part of the program!

Does anyone know the questions on the secondary this year?

Does anyone know the questions on the secondary this year?
I think the same as last year's: introvert/extrovert essay, dealing with death essay, medical interest essay, and additional info essay (optional) each should be 250-500 words. You can find the exact prompts in last year's thread

Yes they do send a complete email. I received one the day after I submitted my secondary and paid to apply to UF professional schools.
does the complete e-mail say it explicitly? I have gotten several e-mail confirmations after submitting both apps but nothing that says "complete," I have all of the green check marks but I haven't received any e-mail after they turned green.

University of Florida College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Gainesville, FL

Dear XYZ:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine.

We have received your secondary application; your file is complete. If you wish to give us updates, you may log into our application website and input them there.

Once a decision is made to invite you in for an interview you will be notified immediately by e-mail or a telephone call. You may receive our decision at any time between now and March, 2013.

Interviews began in September, 2012 and will continue through March, 2013.

Please Be Patient!

Sincerely,

Leila Amiri
Office of Admissions

Office of Admissions
Gainesville, FL

Dear XYZ:

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine.

We have received your secondary application; your file is complete. If you wish to give us updates, you may log into our application website and input them there.

Once a decision is made to invite you in for an interview you will be notified immediately by e-mail or a telephone call. You may receive our decision at any time between now and March, 2013.

Interviews began in September, 2012 and will continue through March, 2013.

Please Be Patient!

Sincerely,

Leila Amiri
Office of Admissions
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get it soon.

Oops, did this application always have the option to submit a photo? I just realized I forgot to do that.

Oops, did this application always have the option to submit a photo? I just realized I forgot to do that.
I also didn't notice it but you can upload it after submitting.

I didn't see it there before, and the secondary didn't let me update it. I just emailed them and I got a response right away. I was also told that my application is complete, even though I never got the email.

Interview Invite!!!!!!!!!!! I am beyond excited. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Congratulations!!!! Was it by a phone call?
thanks! And yes, they called. It's my first interview so I'm super excited. Not to mention that I would love to go here. Btw the first day of interviews is 9/7

I was really surprised by the turnaround with my secondary, I wouldn't think it's typical to get that quick a response. I think I was just on top of the pile or something. I turned in my secondary and got the call 5 days later. I'm so excited. It's really cool how they put you up with one of the med students for the night. I'm super excited for the whole thing.

tcritty, are you a student there? Maybe we'll see each other! Early September :)

when was your secondary complete?
I was complete on 7/26 based on the green check marks. I never got a complete e-mail. I was also really surprised by how quick everything was. I got the call on 8/3

I was complete on 7/26 based on the green check marks. I never got a complete e-mail. I was also really surprised by how quick everything was. I got the call on 8/3

i see. yea, i think not that many people have turned in their secondaries yet so they are moving a bit faster. but congrats! hopefully i will get a call soon too. can i ask where you go to school?

i see. yea, i think not that many people have turned in their secondaries yet so they are moving a bit faster. but congrats! hopefully i will get a call soon too. can i ask where you go to school?
thanks! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since it's still super early. I'm from the University of Miami and I'm IS.

thanks! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since it's still super early. I'm from the University of Miami and I'm IS.

sweet! i actually live in miami now. i hope we will see each other in august next year, UF is definitely my first choice.

I was really surprised by the turnaround with my secondary, I wouldn't think it's typical to get that quick a response. I think I was just on top of the pile or something. I turned in my secondary and got the call 5 days later. I'm so excited. It's really cool how they put you up with one of the med students for the night. I'm super excited for the whole thing.

tcritty, are you a student there? Maybe we'll see each other! Early September :)

I am! We were just told that the first interview is at the beginning of September. Seems surreal, especially because we just started. There's a sign up for students to host interviewees. Definitely use the service!

Could you please post the questions? Thanks! :)

Yes. I know people who have gotten rejected pre-secondary.

What's up everyone!

Just stopping by to offer some help if you have any questions regarding UF COM or the admissions process in general. Also, best of luck to everyone this application cycle.

Those of you with II, do you mind sharing your stats?

Just got verified today and got the secondary

3.7GPA, 3.77sGPA, 30 MCAT.

Also is the site down for the first part of the secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.