You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Florida Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I haven't worked on that one yet but I was wondering the same thing. I think it's supposed to relate to the boxes but it's not clear.Quick question. What did you guys do for the "Describe your interests" essay? Is it supposed to relate to the boxes you checked on the thing up above?
I haven't worked on that one yet but I was wondering the same thing. I think it's supposed to relate to the boxes but it's not clear.
I think it IS supposed to relate to the boxes. that's what I'm doing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else think this secondary is more profound/deep than others?
Yes and I hate it....
DittoYes and I hate it....
Anyone else think this secondary is more profound/deep than others?
Yea, this one is taking me longer than all other FL schools. Makes me want to go meditate or something to see if I can come with something interesting.
Essay 1 asks about applicants that aren't full-time. Should it be left blank if I am full time? I'm planning on being less than full-time in the Spring so I guess I could explain that part.
I am leaving it blank, but I'll be a full-time student all year. Since you won't be, you should probably mention something.Essay 1 asks about applicants that aren't full-time. Should it be left blank if I am full time? I'm planning on being less than full-time in the Spring so I guess I could explain that part.
What's everyone doing in terms of the word limit? closer to 250 or 500?
500 all the way
500 all the way
Quality over quantity though. Plus remember that the admissions staff has to read all of them from the applicants so the easier you make their job, the better.
Quality over quantity though. Plus remember that the admissions staff has to read all of them from the applicants so the easier you make their job, the better.
I agree i just have a lot to say
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's everyone doing in terms of the word limit? closer to 250 or 500?
I did closer to 500. My intro/extro essay was 498, and my other was 464. For the special professional interests essay I had a little less with 384 words.
For the additional info essay, is everyone answering it? Does anyone know if it's supposed to be a full-length essay that everyone writes or more of an "if you have any new updates put them here if not leave it blank"?
EDIT: I know it says optional but I'm worried it's one of those things that looks bad if you don't do it even if it's technically optional.
EDIT: I know it says optional but I'm worried it's one of those things that looks bad if you don't do it even if it's technically optional.
For the additional info essay, is everyone answering it? Does anyone know if it's supposed to be a full-length essay that everyone writes or more of an "if you have any new updates put them here if not leave it blank"?
EDIT: I know it says optional but I'm worried it's one of those things that looks bad if you don't do it even if it's technically optional.
I definitely wrote one for it. It was actually my longest at 499 words. I wrote about my hobbies and other things that weren't mentioned in my primary and secondary essays.
If you were on the adcom and you saw people who completed an optional essay and a few people who did not, who would you consider more motivated? I feel like it being an option is merely a trick to catch those who are lazy. In other words, write it.
Also, I submitted my secondary here earlier today! Good luck to all!!
I really hate this secondary. I wonder what they gleam from it?
Interview invite this morning! So excited, this is an incredible medical school. For real.
Congrats!!!
Ugh, I just got an email this morning saying that they had not received all my letters (which they had). Apparently there was a system error so I wasn't complete. >_>
Congrats again!
Do they send an email when you are complete? I have all of the green checks on the application page.
Interview invite this morning! So excited, this is an incredible medical school. For real.
Congrats! That's exciting! I guess you are part of the first batch of interviews? Just a heads up: Last year the interview day was really long. I think part of it was to see how you handled yourself during a 8-9 hour day with little to no breaks. All my interviews went over and I was left scrambling from session to session. It was a great day though and highly enjoyed everything the school presented.
All that said, I'm sure I'll see you there, we start this week! I hope the free lunches are still part of the program!
Does anyone know the questions on the secondary this year?
I think the same as last year's: introvert/extrovert essay, dealing with death essay, medical interest essay, and additional info essay (optional) each should be 250-500 words. You can find the exact prompts in last year's threadDoes anyone know the questions on the secondary this year?
does the complete e-mail say it explicitly? I have gotten several e-mail confirmations after submitting both apps but nothing that says "complete," I have all of the green check marks but I haven't received any e-mail after they turned green.Yes they do send a complete email. I received one the day after I submitted my secondary and paid to apply to UF professional schools.
University of Florida College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Gainesville, FL
Dear XYZ:
Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine.
We have received your secondary application; your file is complete. If you wish to give us updates, you may log into our application website and input them there.
Once a decision is made to invite you in for an interview you will be notified immediately by e-mail or a telephone call. You may receive our decision at any time between now and March, 2013.
Interviews began in September, 2012 and will continue through March, 2013.
Please Be Patient!
Sincerely,
Leila Amiri
Office of Admissions
University of Florida College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Gainesville, FL
Dear XYZ:
Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine.
We have received your secondary application; your file is complete. If you wish to give us updates, you may log into our application website and input them there.
Once a decision is made to invite you in for an interview you will be notified immediately by e-mail or a telephone call. You may receive our decision at any time between now and March, 2013.
Interviews began in September, 2012 and will continue through March, 2013.
Please Be Patient!
Sincerely,
Leila Amiri
Office of Admissions
University of Florida College of Medicine
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get it soon.University of Florida College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Gainesville, FL
Dear XYZ:
Thank you for your continued interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine.
We have received your secondary application; your file is complete. If you wish to give us updates, you may log into our application website and input them there.
Once a decision is made to invite you in for an interview you will be notified immediately by e-mail or a telephone call. You may receive our decision at any time between now and March, 2013.
Interviews began in September, 2012 and will continue through March, 2013.
Please Be Patient!
Sincerely,
Leila Amiri
Office of Admissions
University of Florida College of Medicine
Oops, did this application always have the option to submit a photo? I just realized I forgot to do that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also didn't notice it but you can upload it after submitting.Oops, did this application always have the option to submit a photo? I just realized I forgot to do that.
Oops, did this application always have the option to submit a photo? I just realized I forgot to do that.
I didn't see it there before, and the secondary didn't let me update it. I just emailed them and I got a response right away. I was also told that my application is complete, even though I never got the email.
Interview Invite!!!!!!!!!!! I am beyond excited.![]()
Congratulations!!!! Was it by a phone call?
thanks! And yes, they called. It's my first interview so I'm super excited. Not to mention that I would love to go here. Btw the first day of interviews is 9/7Congratulations!!!! Was it by a phone call?
when was your secondary complete?
I was really surprised by the turnaround with my secondary, I wouldn't think it's typical to get that quick a response. I think I was just on top of the pile or something. I turned in my secondary and got the call 5 days later. I'm so excited. It's really cool how they put you up with one of the med students for the night. I'm super excited for the whole thing.
tcritty, are you a student there? Maybe we'll see each other! Early September 🙂
tcritty, are you a student there? Maybe we'll see each other! Early September 🙂
I was complete on 7/26 based on the green check marks. I never got a complete e-mail. I was also really surprised by how quick everything was. I got the call on 8/3when was your secondary complete?
I was complete on 7/26 based on the green check marks. I never got a complete e-mail. I was also really surprised by how quick everything was. I got the call on 8/3
i see. yea, i think not that many people have turned in their secondaries yet so they are moving a bit faster. but congrats! hopefully i will get a call soon too. can i ask where you go to school?
thanks! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since it's still super early. I'm from the University of Miami and I'm IS.i see. yea, i think not that many people have turned in their secondaries yet so they are moving a bit faster. but congrats! hopefully i will get a call soon too. can i ask where you go to school?
.
thanks! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since it's still super early. I'm from the University of Miami and I'm IS.
.
sweet! i actually live in miami now. i hope we will see each other in august next year, UF is definitely my first choice.
I was really surprised by the turnaround with my secondary, I wouldn't think it's typical to get that quick a response. I think I was just on top of the pile or something. I turned in my secondary and got the call 5 days later. I'm so excited. It's really cool how they put you up with one of the med students for the night. I'm super excited for the whole thing.
tcritty, are you a student there? Maybe we'll see each other! Early September 🙂
I am! We were just told that the first interview is at the beginning of September. Seems surreal, especially because we just started. There's a sign up for students to host interviewees. Definitely use the service!
Does UF screen for a secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my stats are 3.9+ cgpa/3.9+ sgpa/ 33. ISThose of you with II, do you mind sharing your stats?
Last edited:
my stats are 3.97 cgpa/3.95 sgpa/ 33M. IS
I still can't believe your the only person to post a II and that was over a week ago. Are the others too shy to post?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
