2012-2013 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
USF is an amazing school. I know may people that have been in and around that school that love it :)

Last edited:
Spent the majority of my life in Tampa, applying as an OOS even though the majority of my family is still there or on their way there in the near future...

fingers crossed

I hope the best for you OOSers... It is hard to get into a Florida school from out of state...

AMCAS submitted on 6/6 too! Hoping for the best :xf: good luck everyone!

I'm OOS too, but have lots of family in Florida. I hope maybe my work experience will make a difference :)

A lot of OOS for this school this round... Why are so many OOSer interested in this Florida school?
I heard USF is a tough selector even on IS applicants. They are expected to become more in state friendly after Florida government's budget cuts this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait for this monster secondary.... Good luck to all!!

I heard USF is a tough selector even on IS applicants. They are expected to become more in state friendly after Florida government's budget cuts this year.

Yeah I heard that as well... but I mean even for us it is an uphill battle but for OOS... I mean this school has to be epic if so many are going out of their way for this school...

Yeah I heard that as well... but I mean even for us it is an uphill battle but for OOS... I mean this school has to be epic if so many are going out of their way for this school...
USF has received a huge donation money ($37M + $20M) from Carol and Frank Morsani this year, thus it has changed its name to Morsani College of Medicine to reflect the appreciation. I'm pretty sure many schools' pre-med advisors have encouraged their students to apply here because they thought great things would happen for OOS students. Well, I don't think so. Actually, there're more than enough pre-meds in Florida with really great scores, and USF is still a state school.

USF has received a huge donation money ($37M + $20M) from Carol and Frank Morsani this year, thus it has changed its name to Morsani College of Medicine to reflect the appreciation. I'm pretty sure many schools' pre-med advisors have encouraged their students to apply here because they thought great things would happen for OOS students. Well, I don't think so. Actually, there're more than enough pre-meds in Florida with really great scores, and USF is still a state school.

Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with it. People just like the sound of living in FL for the next four years...

Pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with it. People just like the sound of living in FL for the next four years...

+1 I agree... but of course not as many OOS are applying to FIU, FAU or UM... Did they forget these schools existed? Although lots of people are applying to Nova so I guess that makes up for it....

Those thinking to spend the next 4 years in Florida must be nuts. You aren't gonna be anywhere around living when you're totally dipped into medicine. Tampa isn't a great city, compared to other cities in Florida, either. Moreover, most of the best residency spots are still in North East, which are gonna be your targets after 4 years. Though, I understand one has decided to remain to live in Florida, and USF's secondary isn't that expensive. Still, USF isn't a smart choice this time being as a state school receiving state money, having its budget cut this year, thus has to strictly play state's rules by admitting more in-state applicants. I recall we were told by our biochemistry professor at USF in this Spring semester that summer schools were gonna be cancelled due to budget cuts.

Those thinking to spend the next 4 years in Florida must be nuts. You aren't gonna be anywhere around living when you're totally dipped into medicine. Tampa isn't a great city, compared to other cities in Florida, either. Moreover, most of the best residency spots are still in North East, which are gonna be your targets after 4 years. Though, I understand one has decided to remain to live in Florida, and USF's secondary isn't that expensive. Still, USF isn't a smart choice this time being as a state school receiving state money, having its budget cut this year, thus has to strictly play state's rules by admitting more in-state applicants. I recall we were told by our biochemistry professor at USF in this Spring semester that summer schools were gonna be cancelled due to budget cuts.

While you maybe right about OOSer for us ISer USF is a great idea and Tampa is a great place to spend in medical school.

While you maybe right about OOSer for us ISer USF is a great idea and Tampa is a great place to spend in medical school.
+1 :thumbup:
Tampa isn't that great a place, but it's all okay to live during med school. Florida is my sweet home, so I'm excited with any acceptance here. We won't have to move anywhere, which would be great especially because I'm married with a kid at school age.

Tampa got one of the best weightlifting gyms :)

I hope I can get in here, since its my Alma mater, still filling out my application tho :(

Really? Where is it?

powerhouse gym on Florida avenue,,, about 5 minutes from campus.

People here are pretty strong as hell. I've seen plenty of 700+ deadlifts and one time I think a 850 squat?

Are there any decent pools in Tampa? Swimming is my thing and I don't want to get out of shape....

honestly I don't go swimming much, but I know the USF gym has a pool during certain hours which might work for you.

powerhouse gym on Florida avenue,,, about 5 minutes from campus.

People here are pretty strong as hell. I've seen plenty of 700+ deadlifts and one time I think a 850 squat?
That's insane!

However, I'd prefer doing more cardio work and having a lean body (like Bruce Lee :rolleyes:) , which I don't :(... It's easier to maintain a lean body strong, whereas your packs of muscles strive for continuous training and well nutrition not to become loose and flabby. I doubt I'll spare that time to train them lifelong. But, that's just me...

Also they built a new gym. Solid hot girls everywhere just not a good lifting environment.

But I would love to get into usf... They are putting a lot of money into the school and making it nice. Plus tgh is an excellent hospital. I love it there

Also they built a new gym. Solid hot girls everywhere just not a good lifting environment.

But I would love to get into usf... They are putting a lot of money into the school and making it nice. Plus tgh is an excellent hospital. I love it there
USF medical school isn't nice looking, at all. You cannot easily find the school if you don't have a prior USF campus experience. You can only get to see the nursing school or confuse yourself with Moffitt if you simply follow the Holly Drive :laugh:.. There certainly is a parking problem for medical school (not for the USF): students are driving like crazy in the free, yet uncovered, parking area in the heat of the Florida sun all day just to catch up with their classes on time; it's a miserable scene to watch... and, just get out of their way, or else... Moffitt has a covered parking structure, but you have to pay, I assume, like $300 monthly :confused:. It was called a rip off even by attending physicians that I shadowed at Moffitt (They have to pay for it, too. Moffitt doesn't cover the parking fees for its own personnel.)

I honestly don't know where they're gonna be spending that $57M donation money that they received from Morsani family in this year.

I wonder which clinical rotations are taking place at TGH. Veterans is just a bridge away, Moffitt is in the same campus. However, I heard there's been some major tension with Moffitt due to USF Medical School management. USF had talked to the governor and then had announced that they were gonna built their own training hospital, which had made its relationships with TGH tense as hell, either.

*Edit: Student parking isn't free. "S" stickers cost $87 for 6 months for a USF non-resident student. Here is the link.

Last edited:

tumblr_m5s6k4bUqY1rym4bpo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_m5s6k4bUqY1rym4bpo4_1280.jpg

well I was talking about the school in general, not necessarily the med school itself. But I thought USF had plans to build a 6 floor new medical building in the future with the money

USF medical school isn't nice looking, at all. You cannot easily find the school if you don't have a prior USF campus experience. You can only get to see the nursing school or confuse yourself with Moffitt if you simply follow the Holly Drive :laugh:.. There certainly is a parking problem for medical school (not for the USF): students are driving like crazy in the free, yet uncovered, parking area in the heat of the Florida sun all day just to catch up with their classes on time; it's a miserable scene to watch... and, just get out of their way, or else... Moffitt has a covered parking structure, but you have to pay, I assume, like $300 monthly :confused:. It was called a rip off even by attending physicians that I shadowed at Moffitt (They have to pay for it, too. Moffitt doesn't cover the parking fees for its own personnel.)

I honestly don't know where they're gonna be spending that $57M donation money that they received from Morsani family in this year.

I wonder which clinical rotations are taking place at TGH. Veterans is just a bridge away, Moffitt is in the same campus. However, I heard there's been some major tension with Moffitt due to USF Medical School management. USF had talked to the governor and then had announced that they were gonna built their own training hospital, which had made its relationships with TGH tense as hell, either.

I have to agree. The school is good but it is not esthetically pleasing. However Tampa is. I also doubt 57 million is going to do much as that is not a lot of money from the school point of view.

well I was talking about the school in general, not necessarily the med school itself. But I thought USF had plans to build a 6 floor new medical building in the future with the money
USF Medical School is a separate entity than the rest of the USF Campus. You cannot easily find USF Medical School if you don't know the campus really well.

That's right, USF Campus is being renovated. We have a brand new, huge science building in the campus for undergrads and grads. Marshall Student Center is a nice spot to hangout. There're enough parking structures and convenient open air parking lots around each building everywhere, etc.etc.

However, these have nothing to do with the USF Medical School (Morsani Medical School after the name change this year), which has a really run-down look and feel. Check for the available medical student parking lot on the above image, it's not easy to secure a spot. It could be good or bad, depending on situations. I donna.

USF Medical School is a separate entity than the rest of the USF Campus. You cannot easily find USF Medical School if you don't know the campus really well.

That's right, USF Campus is being renovated. We have a brand new, huge science building in the campus for undergrads and grads. Marshall Student Center is a nice spot to hangout. There're enough parking structures and convenient open air parking lots around each building everywhere, etc.etc.

However, these have nothing to do with the USF Medical School (Morsani Medical School after the name change this year), which has a really run-down look and feel. Check for the available medical student parking lot on the above image, it's not easy to secure a spot. It could be good or bad, depending on situations. I donna.

Many of the Florida school are ramping up their main campuses... so those are starting to look better. It seems like the poster made the mistake of thinking because the main campus is being fixed up so is the medical campus. I think he gets it though so I don't think anymore giant pictures of USF will be required. Killing the scrolling for me here bro...

Many of the Florida school are ramping up their main campuses... so those are starting to look better. It seems like the poster made the mistake of thinking because the main campus is being fixed up so is the medical campus. I think he gets it though so I don't think anymore giant pictures of USF will be required. Killing the scrolling for me here bro...
Yeah, I didn't think I'd be posting them. But, to conclude the discussion, those pictures from USF Medical School were needed :cool:.. No more giant pics.. promise.. ;)

lol I graduated usf so I know the school pretty well, and work at the Byrd and know people in the college of medicine. Even tho the building isn't aesthetically pleasing, I don't see whats wrong with it really.

Current USF med student here, let me know if you have any questions.

USF is getting a lot of OOS applications because of the SELECT program.

Also, the campus isn't bad at all. The first and second year classrooms have been renovated within the past year and are beautiful. The study areas are also brand new and the anatomy lab was renovated last summer. The Morsani center on campus is absolutely amazing. Moffit and TGH are also great facilities and there is a lot of excitement about CAMLS. The money for the Morsanis will go toward constructing a new building.

Overall, it's a very exciting time for USF Health!

Current USF med student here, let me know if you have any questions.

USF is getting a lot of OOS applications because of the SELECT program.

Also, the campus isn't bad at all. The first and second year classrooms have been renovated within the past year and are beautiful. The study areas are also brand new and the anatomy lab was renovated last summer. The Morsani center on campus is absolutely amazing. Moffit and TGH are also great facilities and there is a lot of excitement about CAMLS. The money for the Morsanis will go toward constructing a new building.

Overall, it's a very exciting time for USF Health!

I see so select is basically a program that opens the first two years of med school at usf for the world. I am guessing that this program doesnt change the number of seat availible

I see so select is basically a program that opens the first two years of med school at usf for the world. I am guessing that this program doesnt change the number of seat availible

The SELECT program admits students in addition to the normal 120. So, there are 120 "core" students plus however many SELECT students the school admits (I'm not sure of the exact number but I do know the program is growing in size).

Many of the SELECT applicants are from out of state because they want to be closer to home in years 3 & 4. It's also a rather unique opportunity and Lehigh Valley is supposed to be one of the better hospitals in the country.

The SELECT program admits students in addition to the normal 120. So, there are 120 "core" students plus however many SELECT students the school admits (I'm not sure of the exact number but I do know the program is growing in size).

Many of the SELECT applicants are from out of state because they want to be closer to home in years 3 & 4. It's also a rather unique opportunity and Lehigh Valley is supposed to be one of the better hospitals in the country.

Awesome so is there a separate form to fill out for select or you apply like normal?

Awesome so is there a separate form to fill out for select or you apply like normal?

I believe you apply to USF like normal through AMCAS and there is a place on the secondary to indicate your interest.

I believe you apply to USF like normal through AMCAS and there is a place on the secondary to indicate your interest.

Thanks but just one more question... So if a person were to apply to this program and get rejected would they still be in the running for USF or is it a pick one and you get what you get kind of deal?

Usf medical guy. U know where they are going to build the new medical school at? There is like no room on campus

And yea I heard the inside is super nice.

SELECT program lets someone do the clinical years (3rd, 4th years) at Lehigh Valley Health Network, which is located at Allentown, PA.

As far as I know, there exist many medical schools to choose in Pennsylvania.

What could be the burning reason for a Pennsylvania resident applicant to choose USF over the local schools in Pennsylvania?

Hey everyone,

I was an applicant last cycle, and I just wanted to provide a little input for you guys. USF is a great medical school, and a few months ago I had to decide between it and a handful of other schools. The Morsani family has donated a total of $57 million so far to USF, but the $37 was from years ago and $20 is for the construction of the new facilities. The SELECT program numbers are unregulated by the state and this year they accepted 60 students. Unforunately, the SELECT program students must pay out-of-state tuition all 4 years, whether they are from Florida or any other state. The external view of the buildings is ugly, but they are very pretty on the inside.

Application year is rough. If anyone has questions, feel free to pm me.

Hey everyone,

I was an applicant last cycle, and I just wanted to provide a little input for you guys. USF is a great medical school, and a few months ago I had to decide between it and a handful of other schools. The Morsani family has donated a total of $57 million so far to USF, but the $37 was from years ago and $20 is for the construction of the new facilities. The SELECT program numbers are unregulated by the state and this year they accepted 60 students. Unforunately, the SELECT program students must pay out-of-state tuition all 4 years, whether they are from Florida or any other state. The external view of the buildings is ugly, but they are very pretty on the inside.

Application year is rough. If anyone has questions, feel free to pm me.

I really don't understand the benefit of select except it allows out of staters a chance. What are the benefits of this program?

I really don't understand the benefit of select except it allows out of staters a chance. What are the benefits of this program?
It's a sideways for the school to earn out-of-state tuition money (twice as much the normal tuition, I donna) from some SELECT applicants (60), while still getting its share of in-state applicants (120) and thus Florida state tax money.. Man, aren't they smart :D.. I think I started loving this school which is located in my alma mater's campus.

It'd have been a great help to all applicants and a sweet service to Florida if Morsani family had just opened a brand new yet private medical school in/around Tampa or St.Petersburg instead of helping USF medical school to go sideways. There's potential amount of pre-meds in this region, and I doubt it'd have been a less preferred option over USF medical school being located in the same region. Only MHO..

Status
Not open for further replies.