-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Washington Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
CONGRATS to those of you accepted and on the alternate list! If your rank is anywhere below 25 then you are IN! CONGRATS!
Please join the FB page! Summer is right around the corner which means plenty of opportunity to get together and meet everyone!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/116133025229226/
Please join the FB page! Summer is right around the corner which means plenty of opportunity to get together and meet everyone!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/116133025229226/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how campus placements are worked out for us waitlist folks?? Presumably OOR folks will be given a spot in Seattle, but what about us WAians? Do we just get the same campus assignment as whoever declined the spot we are getting?
Also, just joined the FB group. Can't wait to see y'all in the fall!!
Also, just joined the FB group. Can't wait to see y'all in the fall!!
Anybody know approximately when we will find out our site placement?
#GoHawks
+1
I thought I heard April/May. It may also be when they make their final decisions on student admissions.
Does anyone know how campus placements are worked out for us waitlist folks?? Presumably OOR folks will be given a spot in Seattle, but what about us WAians? Do we just get the same campus assignment as whoever declined the spot we are getting?
Also, just joined the FB group. Can't wait to see y'all in the fall!!
Why not call and ask?
I took screen shots without the names on my phone but it won't let me upload it!! Damn. Working on it sorry guys
One solution!
Press prnt screen on your keyboard (which automatically copies your current desktop and paste it into Word or Paint! And then crop it! 🙂
Why not call and ask?
That was the plan if no one here knew the answer. I just figured they're probably inundated with calls at the moment since it's the crux of application season... Plus, if someone posts the info here then everyone will know the answer (which I'll do once I get in touch with them).
Since I'm so close, I'll probably just walk down to the admissions office some time early next week and ask. At the moment my Qs for them are:
1) How does campus placement work for applicants accepted from the waitlist?
2) Do applicants accepted from the waitlist have the same access to financial aid as those accepted at the beginning? If yes, when would we hear about our aid packages? (probably go to the fin. aid office for this one).
If anyone has any other waitlist-related Qs they'd like answered, put them in this thread and I'll try to bring back some answers. On the other hand, if you know the answer to either of the above, please reply and save admissions some pestering from me 🙂!
That was the plan if no one here knew the answer. I just figured they're probably inundated with calls at the moment since it's the crux of application season... Plus, if someone posts the info here then everyone will know the answer (which I'll do once I get in touch with them).
Since I'm so close, I'll probably just walk down to the admissions office some time early next week and ask. At the moment my Qs for them are:
1) How does campus placement work for applicants accepted from the waitlist?
2) Do applicants accepted from the waitlist have the same access to financial aid as those accepted at the beginning? If yes, when would we hear about our aid packages? (probably go to the fin. aid office for this one).
If anyone has any other waitlist-related Qs they'd like answered, put them in this thread and I'll try to bring back some answers. On the other hand, if you know the answer to either of the above, please reply and save admissions some pestering from me 🙂!
2) Do applicants accepted from the waitlist have the same access to financial aid as those accepted at the beginning? If yes, when would we hear about our aid packages? (probably go to the fin. aid office for this one).
All applicants should have received an email from the UWSOM Financial Aid Office the first week of February.
As long as you submitted your FAFSA by the priority deadline of Feb. 28th, you should have the same access to financial aid package as everyone else.
IF YOU DID NOT, then, quoting the email, "you are only considered for Unsubsidized Stafford (6.8%) and Grad Plus loans (7.9%). Washington residents are not considered for grant funds if they apply late."
So I really hope you did submit the FAFSA!
Also don't forget to apply for the School of Medicine Scholarship by the end of May, which can range from 1000 to 9000 dollars.
Types of Financial Aid
GRANT MONEY
-Grants (only for WA state students; WAMI students have tuition subsidized already)
-Scholarship for disadvantaged students
-School of Medicine Scholarship
LOAN MONEY
-Direct Stafford Loan (unsubsidized)
-Perkins Loan
-Primary Care Loan
-Loans for Disadvantaged Students
-UW Temporary Loan
2) Do applicants accepted from the waitlist have the same access to financial aid as those accepted at the beginning? If yes, when would we hear about our aid packages? (probably go to the fin. aid office for this one).
All applicants should have received an email from the UWSOM Financial Aid Office the first week of February.
As long as you submitted your FAFSA by the priority deadline of Feb. 28th, you should have the same access to financial aid package as everyone else.
IF YOU DID NOT, then, quoting the email, "you are only considered for Unsubsidized Stafford (6.8%) and Grad Plus loans (7.9%). Washington residents are not considered for grant funds if they apply late."
So I really hope you did submit the FAFSA!
Also don't forget to apply for the School of Medicine Scholarship by the end of May, which can range from 1000 to 9000 dollars.
Types of Financial Aid
GRANT MONEY
-Grants (only for WA state students; WAMI students have tuition subsidized already)
-Scholarship for disadvantaged students
-School of Medicine Scholarship
LOAN MONEY
-Direct Stafford Loan (unsubsidized)
-Perkins Loan
-Primary Care Loan
-Loans for Disadvantaged Students
-UW Temporary Loan
I don't suppose you (or anyone else reading this) know of any info about the financial background needed to be competitive for the SOM scholarship?
I don't expect I have much of a shot at a need based scholarship, so if there's no chance I'll receive one I'd rather not fill out the sixth financial aid form of the application cycle...
Thanks!
I don't suppose you (or anyone else reading this) know of any info about the financial background needed to be competitive for the SOM scholarship?
I don't expect I have much of a shot at a need based scholarship, so if there's no chance I'll receive one I'd rather not fill out the sixth financial aid form of the application cycle...
Thanks!
School of Medicine scholarship is a completely need-based scholarship. You just have to submit your parent's 1040 and W2 forms. Scholarship is greater for those with greater need.
Is the second look event only open to current acceptees? I'm probably going to get in off the waitlist but it won't be before the event. I can go ahead & email them but I was just curious if anyone else already had.
Have oor decisions went out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have oor decisions went out?
They have. I am OOR and I got placed on the alternate list on 3/21. If you don't have an email, maybe check the spam folder just in case.
They have. I am OOR and I got placed on the alternate list on 3/21. If you don't have an email, maybe check the spam folder just in case.
Or check the status website that you used to send your secondary.
Is anyone interested in the match list for this year? I have the PDF
Is this the match list for first year sites? I thought that that was to be decided by the end of April, that's what my acceptance email said anyway. Please clarify. Thanks.
***Blessings ***
Is this the match list for first year sites? I thought that that was to be decided by the end of April, that's what my acceptance email said anyway. Please clarify. Thanks.
***Blessings ***
The list is for which residencies UWSOM graduates got matched into this year.
Omg I am lumped with the WA alternates. #8. Whoa guys.
Hell yes! Congrats!
first wyoming alternate accepted. let's get the rest of the WWAMI states moving!
I emailed them- last year 43 were accepted from the OOR/WA area
Wanna update the google doc? I think we only have 42 listed.
So the waitlist email mentioned that I have to keep up "the same caliber of work" as in my application...I had straight A's in my prereqs when I applied. That doesn't mean I have to keep that, right? Because I just finished 3 upper div sciences at once & got B+/B+/B. I imagine I'm fine, but do they have specific cutoffs for rescinding waitlist spots?
I'm WA alternate #2!
And you're in! Congrats TuskenRaider!
Congrats TuskenRaider!
I know we had two weeks to accept our alternate spot. Was it the same for acceptances? I am hoping there is a little movement after that two weeks is up!
I know we had two weeks to accept our alternate spot. Was it the same for acceptances? I am hoping there is a little movement after that two weeks is up!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm WA alternate #2!
Congrats! Welcome to the class of 2017!
I wish I could check the current alternate numbers. Does anyone know if accepted students can see it? Or will we just have to check the google doc and hope someone has updated it?
Congrats! Welcome to the class of 2017!
I wish I could check the current alternate numbers. Does anyone know if accepted students can see it? Or will we just have to check the google doc and hope someone has updated it?
I don't know if there's any way for you to check it, but I wouldn't worry about whether us waitlisted folks are updating the google doc. I know I'm checking pretty frequently and will update the doc if I see a change, and I'm sure others are checking often too. As of today, we're still at #2.
I don't know if there's any way for you to check it, but I wouldn't worry about whether us waitlisted folks are updating the google doc. I know I'm checking pretty frequently and will update the doc if I see a change, and I'm sure others are checking often too. As of today, we're still at #2.
That document is going to have a lot of movement come May. That is going to be fun to watch.
Best of luck and keep the doc updated for us.
I don't know if there's any way for you to check it, but I wouldn't worry about whether us waitlisted folks are updating the google doc. I know I'm checking pretty frequently and will update the doc if I see a change, and I'm sure others are checking often too. As of today, we're still at #2.
Me too
Uh...suddenly my app status page doesn't say anything about the alternates. It just says I've been selected to interview.
Whoops, apparently it just wasn't loading right. Nevermind.
Just checked the website, alternate #5 accepted! (for WA/OOR)
Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
Wow, it is already starting to move! Maybe they don't update the website on the weekend so there is just a lot of movement that happens on Mondays?
SOON.
I was talking to Diane Noecker and she said they were meeting at the end of this week about how the 7 OOR tuition fellowships will be decided. I really hope I get accepted in time to get considered when they make the first decisions on those.
I was talking to Diane Noecker and she said they were meeting at the end of this week about how the 7 OOR tuition fellowships will be decided. I really hope I get accepted in time to get considered when they make the first decisions on those.
Just checked the website, alternate #5 accepted! (for WA/OOR)
Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
I was worried that you were April fooling
So, do you guys think the jump from #2 to #5 means that #3 and #4 also accepted a UW position? Or that they declined their alternate status, so after #2 accepted their offer, the next offer went to #5?
I think there is really no way to know. The waitlist moves when any of the accepted applicants withdraw.
Technically people who got decisions on 3/21 have until Thursday to accept their acceptance or alternate spot. I'm thinking it might move a tiny bit then.
I guess I was wrong about that theory. Still going to second look without an acceptance...
Awkward.

Awkward.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe it will start moving today or tomorrow? They have to offer the spot to the alternate and it's only when they accept that they post it, right?
I think the number changes with the offer, not with the acceptance
I was just skimming through the student handbook (http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education...udents/policies-procedures/Pages/default.aspx), and while looking over the grading standards I noticed something interesting. The second year courses are H/HP/P/F, and it looks like a relatively large number of students honor the classes in second year (the hardest courses still had 17% of the class earn honors). This strikes me as slightly unusual. I was under the impression that it is ridiculously difficult to honor a course at any med school.
😍 UW 😍
I was just skimming through the student handbook (http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education...udents/policies-procedures/Pages/default.aspx), and while looking over the grading standards I noticed something interesting. The second year courses are H/HP/P/F, and it looks like a relatively large number of students honor the classes in second year (the hardest courses still had 17% of the class earn honors). This strikes me as slightly unusual. I was under the impression that it is ridiculously difficult to honor a course at any med school.
I don't think this is still accurate. That student handbook is from 2011, and I'm fairly certain since then they have gone to a straight Pass/Fail for the first 2 years.
😍 UW 😍
Woohoo! Congrats!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K