You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Cooper Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Interview in a couple weeks, any useful tips/information? How is the interview process? What are some thoughts about Cooper, compared to surrounding schools or areas? THANKS!
The whole process is very comfortable. It really is about being yourself and making a good impression. Try not to like it too much as I am on the waitlist :wink: Camden itself has a bad reputation, but CMSRU feels like a much needed breath of fresh air. They are playing a big part in the revitalization efforts, even buying up some nearby properties to convert into shops and apartments.
You, like most, will be very impressed! Everyone is incredibly nice and down to earth, and everything is brand spanking new.
Good luck!
Sooo at my interview (10/25) they said committee meets today and decisions for our group will be made by today and released tomorrow (Thursday). I was looking at the first round of decisions and they seemed to be released early in the morning like 2-3 AM... anyone know if this will be the case again for the second round of decisions?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted367183
To aspirantmed...they said at interview that they are, qua new school, still building their endowment, which limits scholarship aid.
Not as snark, really just as business, I wouldn't let potential merit aid be a factor at *any* new school.
Not as snark, really just as business, I wouldn't let potential merit aid be a factor at *any* new school.
just read their mission statement and you're goldenCould anyone provide more information about chances of receiving an ii after receiving a secondary for OOS/in general? Thanks!
Does anyone know if they are receptive to update letters? I couldn't find anything in the secondary or FAQ of their site. Thanks!
I sent them an update as to what I had been doing, and they said they were only able to include all activities that are AMCAS verified. So no, they're not. :/Does anyone know if they are receptive to update letters? I couldn't find anything in the secondary or FAQ of their site. Thanks!
That being said, I've been complete for nearly 2 months now and still have yet to hear a peep from them.
I sent them an update as to what I had been doing, and they said they were only able to include all activities that are AMCAS verified. So no, they're not. :/
That being said, I've been complete for nearly 2 months now and still have yet to hear a peep from them.
Great. I'm in the same boat. :-/
Interviewed here today and I was sooooo impressed. Everyone was so genuinely kind and warm and I had a blast. Good luck all!
Yup. OOS though, which is probably why. My stats are fine for their school, and I've received II's from other (better) schools too. I really like Cooper though and would really love the opportunity to interview with them!Great. I'm in the same boat. :-/
Yup. OOS though, which is probably why. My stats are fine for their school, and I've received II's from other (better) schools too. I really like Cooper though and would really love the opportunity to interview with them!
Yup OOS as well (and in a state that has only 2 medical schools which sucks!). I really love the mission here and would love to interview here too even though I've interviewed at other schools already. The wait continues....
They say they interview less than 10% of their applicants (in general)Could anyone provide more information about chances of receiving an ii after receiving a secondary for OOS/in general? Thanks!
Accepted on Thurs =) I love how they really get back to the interviewees in a week. You don't have to sit around anxious for weeks!
IS, 32, 3.8
IS, 32, 3.8
Accepted on Thurs =) I love how they really get back to the interviewees in a week. You don't have to sit around anxious for weeks!
IS, 32, 3.8
Congrats!!! I REALLY hope to get pulled off the waitlist.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does this school silent reject? i've been complete since mid-september, but new mcat scores were released to them october 2. OOS, 34/3.5/3.5. i know i was a little bit late in the cycle but this waiting is unbearable. and sorry if this was addressed earlier in the thread.
does this school silent reject? i've been complete since mid-september, but new mcat scores were released to them october 2. OOS, 34/3.5/3.5. i know i was a little bit late in the cycle but this waiting is unbearable. and sorry if this was addressed earlier in the thread.
No, they're pretty good about sending out real rejections. If you haven't gotten one yet, then they either haven't gotten to you yet or like you!
Agreed. Last year, rejected in a week! This year, I didn't bother to apply, but I did not see anyone last year (or this year) who didn't know their status in a few weeks' time.No, they're pretty good about sending out real rejections. If you haven't gotten one yet, then they either haven't gotten to you yet or like you!
I've been complete for nearly 2 months and still have not received any news or updates from them. :/Agreed. Last year, rejected in a week! This year, I didn't bother to apply, but I did not see anyone last year (or this year) who didn't know their status in a few weeks' time.
Interviewed here today and I was sooooo impressed. Everyone was so genuinely kind and warm and I had a blast. Good luck all!
Good luck to you as well! I interviewed this past Friday as well and I was also impressed! Their students and deans were so enthusiastic and it seems like an amazing environment to learn in. I was skeptical at first because of the location but now I'm really hoping for an acceptance. Also Dean McGeehan was hilarious but at the same time seemed like he is serious about making Cooper a great place. I can't say enough about the school.
Are the rotations all exclusively at Cooper University Hospital, or are there other rotations as well? Care of the underserved and all that is important, but it's important for students to rotate through other types of settings, too.
Are the rotations all exclusively at Cooper University Hospital, or are there other rotations as well? Care of the underserved and all that is important, but it's important for students to rotate through other types of settings, too.
The impression I got from interview day was that your longitudinal clerkship takes place out in the community at various sites, but your inpatient clerks are all at Cooper. 4th year has 4 5-week elective rotations, which take place after required SubI/Chronic Care/EM/CC clerkships, so there is definitely opportunity to do away rotations if you want to see different hospital systems.
Are the rotations all exclusively at Cooper University Hospital, or are there other rotations as well? Care of the underserved and all that is important, but it's important for students to rotate through other types of settings, too.
Also, Cooper U. Hospital serves a diverse range of communities in S. New Jersey.
Last edited:
Tonight/tomorrow morning more acceptances and rejections will be going out. Best of luck to everyone who interviewed this past Friday!
Thanks for the update. How do you know this out of curiosity?! O_OTonight/tomorrow morning more acceptances and rejections will be going out. Best of luck to everyone who interviewed this past Friday!
Thanks for the update. How do you know this out of curiosity?! O_O
I was wondering the same thing when I first visited this topic, everyone seemed to know when decisions were coming out! I finally found out why. We were told at our interview that the committee meets every Wednesday to discuss the previous weeks' interviewees and that decisions are sent out the next day (Thursday).
I'm really impressed at the school's speed overall. I sent my secondary 10/18, received an interview invite 10/25, and interviewed on 11/1, and will have a decision by 11/7. That's under three weeks for the entire process!
You must be a super competitive applicant then!I was wondering the same thing when I first visited this topic, everyone seemed to know when decisions were coming out! I finally found out why. We were told at our interview that the committee meets every Wednesday to discuss the previous weeks' interviewees and that decisions are sent out the next day (Thursday).
I'm really impressed at the school's speed overall. I sent my secondary 10/18, received an interview invite 10/25, and interviewed on 11/1, and will have a decision by 11/7. That's under three weeks for the entire process!
You must be a super competitive applicant then!
I think they just liked that I've got decent scores and am in-state. The school definitely stresses the importance of improving Camden. In fact, it seemed to be their primary goal. I'm not so confident after the interview though. I had a pretty stoic interviewer and our personalities didn't seem to mesh all that well. The blind interviewer seemed to like me though, so we will see.
Eh, that doesn't necessarily mean it went poorly! He probably was just trying to remain objective? Who knows. My fingers are crossed for you though!I think they just liked that I've got decent scores and am in-state. The school definitely stresses the importance of improving Camden. In fact, it seemed to be their primary goal. I'm not so confident after the interview though. I had a pretty stoic interviewer and our personalities didn't seem to mesh all that well. The blind interviewer seemed to like me though, so we will see.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah...definitely looking forward to hearing back from them tomorrow. I was surprised by how awesome and supportive the staff & student community was there. Despite it being a major exam day, students were smiling and the administration was wishing them all luck/checking in on them as they were preparing for the day with us.
So many little moments throughout the day that really showed that the school cares about its students, but also didn't feel like it was an act for us interviewees.
So many little moments throughout the day that really showed that the school cares about its students, but also didn't feel like it was an act for us interviewees.
I think they just liked that I've got decent scores and am in-state. The school definitely stresses the importance of improving Camden. In fact, it seemed to be their primary goal. I'm not so confident after the interview though. I had a pretty stoic interviewer and our personalities didn't seem to mesh all that well. The blind interviewer seemed to like me though, so we will see.
I had the same reaction during my interview, and spent the whole plane ride home over-analyzing every single thing I said. Lol.
Yeah...definitely looking forward to hearing back from them tomorrow. I was surprised by how awesome and supportive the staff & student community was there. Despite it being a major exam day, students were smiling and the administration was wishing them all luck/checking in on them as they were preparing for the day with us.
So many little moments throughout the day that really showed that the school cares about its students, but also didn't feel like it was an act for us interviewees.
I've been blown away by how responsive and supportive they've been since they admitted me. Above and beyond. 🙂
Eh, that doesn't necessarily mean it went poorly! He probably was just trying to remain objective? Who knows. My fingers are crossed for you though!
Maybe you're right right, thank you though! Hopefully I'll have some good news in the morning.
Yeah...definitely looking forward to hearing back from them tomorrow. I was surprised by how awesome and supportive the staff & student community was there. Despite it being a major exam day, students were smiling and the administration was wishing them all luck/checking in on them as they were preparing for the day with us.
So many little moments throughout the day that really showed that the school cares about its students, but also didn't feel like it was an act for us interviewees.
That's exactly how I feel. Good luck tonight / tomorrow! Also, did you notice as well that ~75% of interviewees were female? I was surprised to be one of only 5 or 6 guys out of the 30 or so that were there.
Does Cooper send out pre-interview rejections? I've been complete for nearly 2 months now and still haven't heard a peep. Not very hopeful, especially since I'm only a DE resident, but would like to know where I stand or at least if I'll at least be formally released.
Not sure I understand your question; every school sends pre-interview rejections. If you mean secondary, then yes, Cooper screens secondaries too.Does Cooper send out pre-interview rejections? I've been complete for nearly 2 months now and still haven't heard a peep. Not very hopeful, especially since I'm only a DE resident, but would like to know where I stand or at least if I'll at least be formally released.
Okay
Okay, pre-interview aka post-secondary rejections. Not every school does; some extend the ever courteous "silent rejection". I would simply like to be informed of whether or not I'm still in the running towards becoming a student at their school. I understand the no news is good news thing, but I just want to clarify if Cooper does in fact notify applicants of their rejections.Not sure I understand your question; every school sends pre-interview rejections. If you mean secondary, then yes, Cooper screens secondaries too.
Post secondary/pre-interview rejections do occur. I know of a coupleOkay
Okay, pre-interview aka post-secondary rejections. Not every school does; some extend the ever courteous "silent rejection". I would simply like to be informed of whether or not I'm still in the running towards becoming a student at their school. I understand the no news is good news thing, but I just want to clarify if Cooper does in fact notify applicants of their rejections.
Not a peep as of 320AM. Assuming the worst at this point, didn't come out of the interview feeling very confident anyways. Ah well, nighty night SDN.
lol i think you're fine man. the wee hours of the morning is not the cutoff for acceptance notifications...Not a peep as of 320AM. Assuming the worst at this point, didn't come out of the interview feeling very confident anyways. Ah well, nighty night SDN.
lol i think you're fine man. the wee hours of the morning is not the cutoff for acceptance notifications...
Haha also Dr. McGeehan said we'd find out either way. If you don't hear anything, it might be because they didn't get to you at yesterday's meeting. It's not a bad thing.
yup this happened to me. apparently my interviewer was called to the hospital last week and they weren't able to review my app so i was pushed back to this week. dr. m emailed me about this update so they are very transparent about your post interview statusHaha also Dr. McGeehan said we'd find out either way. If you don't hear anything, it might be because they didn't get to you at yesterday's meeting. It's not a bad thing.
You guys are lucky to be able to hear back so quicklyyup this happened to me. apparently my interviewer was called to the hospital last week and they weren't able to review my app so i was pushed back to this week. dr. m emailed me about this update so they are very transparent about your post interview status
Thats true! You've assuaged my panic for now. Thanks! Now the waiting continues!
accepted. IS/35 mcat/3.74 sgpa/ 3.74 cgpa.
i was very very impressed with this school. such a noble mission and it is incredibly obvious that the mission is held very close to the heart and soul of the school and all of the faculty. i grew up 10 minutes away from camden, so getting in to cmsru will always be an incredible honor regardless of whether or not i end up here next year. facilities are nice too i guess lol (sarcastic for beautiful facilities). good luck to the rest of you!
i was very very impressed with this school. such a noble mission and it is incredibly obvious that the mission is held very close to the heart and soul of the school and all of the faculty. i grew up 10 minutes away from camden, so getting in to cmsru will always be an incredible honor regardless of whether or not i end up here next year. facilities are nice too i guess lol (sarcastic for beautiful facilities). good luck to the rest of you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you think you would rank it against NJMS? I haven't interviewed at CMSRU yet (but have been invited), and I thought NJMS was my favorite of the two NJ schools otherwise.accepted. IS/35 mcat/3.74 sgpa/ 3.74 cgpa.
i was very very impressed with this school. such a noble mission and it is incredibly obvious that the mission is held very close to the heart and soul of the school and all of the faculty. i grew up 10 minutes away from camden, so getting in to cmsru will always be an incredible honor regardless of whether or not i end up here next year. facilities are nice too i guess lol (sarcastic for beautiful facilities). good luck to the rest of you!
to be honest, when i initially applied to cooper at the beginning of the app cycle i really didn't think i was going to like it here and only applied here as a "safety" school (if that even exists for medical school). but i kept hearing good things about the school before, during, and after the interview. i was very impressed. sure, they are a brand new medical school so there is always a degree of skepticism, but it is pretty obvious that they are up and coming. please do go and check it out for yourself, you won't be disappointed! njms was great as well, but the facilities at cooper blow both njms and rwj out of the water. cooper is certainly a bright new medical school.How do you think you would rank it against NJMS? I haven't interviewed at CMSRU yet (but have been invited), and I thought NJMS was my favorite of the two NJ schools otherwise.
Accepted as well! First acceptance too!
3.6/3.6/36
Technically OOS (Grew up in NJ, living in Mass. since College)
Very similar reasons to applying as gcr220, but of my interviews thus far, have been the most impressed by CSMRU. Like I think someone said earlier in this thread, I truly think CSMRU has the staff and the potential to become a top notch med school.
So relieved and excited right now!
3.6/3.6/36
Technically OOS (Grew up in NJ, living in Mass. since College)
Very similar reasons to applying as gcr220, but of my interviews thus far, have been the most impressed by CSMRU. Like I think someone said earlier in this thread, I truly think CSMRU has the staff and the potential to become a top notch med school.
So relieved and excited right now!
accepted. IS/35 mcat/3.74 sgpa/ 3.74 cgpa.
i was very very impressed with this school. such a noble mission and it is incredibly obvious that the mission is held very close to the heart and soul of the school and all of the faculty. i grew up 10 minutes away from camden, so getting in to cmsru will always be an incredible honor regardless of whether or not i end up here next year. facilities are nice too i guess lol (sarcastic for beautiful facilities). good luck to the rest of you!
When did you interview?
Accepted as well! First acceptance too!
3.6/3.6/36
Technically OOS (Grew up in NJ, living in Mass. since College)
Very similar reasons to applying as gcr220, but of my interviews thus far, have been the most impressed by CSMRU. Like I think someone said earlier in this thread, I truly think CSMRU has the staff and the potential to become a top notch med school.
So relieved and excited right now!
I remember you from interview day last week. You were talking about how you aren't technically in-state anywhere. Congratulations!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K