2023-2024 Cooper (Rowan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Cooper (Rowan) Secondary Prompts

1. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, volunteer, or other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school. (1500 characters)

2. Tell us about something that makes you a unique applicant to CMSRU. How will CMSRU help you fulfill your mission? (1500 characters)

3. Medical school involves hard work and can be stressful at times. Tell us about activities that you use to help maintain a work-life balance and respond to stress. (1500 characters)

Recommended deadline of 2 weeks after receipt.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know what kinds of OOS applicants are successful here? I don't have any ties to the area, but my background is that I grew up in a very poor household in a high crime area that was written off by many in my state. Can't help but draw parallels to Camden, NJ. For those reasons, I feel that I strongly align with Cooper (Rowan)'s mission. I very much admire the work they are trying to accomplish there in Camden and would like to be a part of it!

Anyone know what kinds of OOS applicants are successful here? I don't have any ties to the area, but my background is that I grew up in a very poor household in a high crime area that was written off by many in my state. Can't help but draw parallels to Camden, NJ. For those reasons, I feel that I strongly align with Cooper (Rowan)'s mission. I very much admire the work they are trying to accomplish there in Camden and would like to be a part of it!
I think the limited OOS spots typically go to those nearby in like Philly or NYC.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to carle illinois in chicago. I think you'd be a good fit

You should apply to carle illinois in chicago. I think you'd be a good fit
I've heard that before! While I do have an interest, I don’t meet their prerequisites. I’m also pretty interested in schools that have an underserved focus, thus why I’m posting here about Cooper Rowan.

Last edited:
Last year's class according to MSAR was 34% OOS. I think that's a decent number?
It comes out to about 30 seats. I still do not suggest this school for OOS students due to the likelihood that a lot of those are from neighboring states or attended undergrad in NJ. There are other options for applicants who have a significant service background.

I still do not suggest this school for OOS students due to the likelihood that a lot of those are from neighboring states
I didn't realize many med schools have regional preference? I thought it was mainly just in-state preference. Cooper Rowan doesn't say anything about regional preference on its website.

I didn't realize many med schools have regional preference? I thought it was mainly just in-state preference. Cooper Rowan doesn't say anything about regional preference on its website.
Philadelphia is right across from it. NYC is about 2 hours away. Nonetheless, only 1% of non-resident applicants eventually matriculated.

OOS secondary received.

1. Please describe your anticipated educational, employment, volunteer, or other activities between completing your AMCAS application and matriculating to medical school. (1500 characters)

2. Tell us about something that makes you a unique applicant to CMSRU. How will CMSRU help you fulfill your mission? (1500 characters)

3. Medical school involves hard work and can be stressful at times. Tell us about activities that you use to help maintain a work-life balance and respond to stress. (1500 characters)

Recommended deadline of 2 weeks after receipt. I excluded the typical yes/no or demographic questions.

@chilly_md

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received.

Recommended deadline of 2 weeks after receipt. I excluded the typical yes/no or demographic questions.

@chilly_md
Looks like 2 is a combination of two of the secondaries from previous years. Could this be a mistake or did they intend to combine them?

Does anyone know how heavily they screen? I am OOS and received one. Just want to make sure its worth the money.

Does anyone know how heavily they screen? I am OOS and received one. Just want to make sure its worth the money.
Its a super in state school, according to the conversation above. Are you in a state surrounding NJ?

How big of a deal is it to get a secondary from this school if I’m OOS with no ties to the area? Received their secondary today and I know they screen but I’m not sure how strict it is

Looks like 2 is a combination of two of the secondaries from previous years. Could this be a mistake or did they intend to combine them?
wondering this as well. Im finding it very difficult to answer both parts of the question with only 1500 characters....

If you have not received a secondary yet, it would be good to wait for someone else to confirm the questions just to be sure.

If you have not received a secondary yet, it would be good to wait for someone else to confirm the questions just to be sure.
I've received a secondary, and can confirm that the questions are correct. It's just weird that for this year's questions, they took out last year's question #1, but attached the second part of question #1 to last year's question #3. And became this year's question #2. The two questions asked in this years question #2 just kinda seem unrelated to each other..... I dunno, that's just me though.

I've received a secondary, and can confirm that the questions are correct. It's just weird that for this year's questions, they took out last year's question #1, but attached the second part of question #1 to last year's question #3. And became this year's question #2. The two questions asked in this years question #2 just kinda seem unrelated to each other..... I dunno, that's just me though.
Some other schools have made modifications as well from what applicants have been saying. Whether combining prompts or getting rid of some old ones if not new questions entirely.

Some other schools have made modifications as well from what applicants have been saying. Whether combining prompts or getting rid of some old ones if not new questions entirely.
Luckily I feel like Cooper made it easier. Its really just a diversity essay + gap year essay + hobby essay, all of which I had done up to this point.

Tell us about something that makes you a unique applicant to CMSRU. How will CMSRU help you fulfill your mission? (1500 characters)

Lean on your unique qualities and impactful experiences (personal distance traveled) that reflect your purpose as a physician. In your response, pay attention to:
About | Cooper Medical School | Rowan University specifically "CMSRU is proudly mission-driven, focused on developing highly skilled and socially conscious physician leaders who value a patient-centered, team approach to health care. Its innovative curriculum provides students with small-group, self-directed learning with early and continuous patient care experiences, beginning the third week of medical school in the Cooper Rowan Clinic."

I'm a current OOS student at Cooper. They are selective with who they send secondaries to, so I think that you should definitely submit your secondary.

Also everyone, comment here or DM if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current OOS student at Cooper. They are selective with who they send secondaries to, so I think that you should definitely submit your secondary.

Also everyone, comment here or DM if you have any questions :)
Do you know if you would be able to talk about your service experiences? I think I'm a mission fit for cooper but I'm not too sure. I know they like to see service so I was hoping to get an idea of how much service they look for.

I haven't had to write any hobby/stress relief type essay yet - any general advice for how to tackle this one? is it less formal than your standard essay?

I haven't had to write any hobby/stress relief type essay yet - any general advice for how to tackle this one? is it less formal than your standard essay?
Mine was definitely less formal than my other essays! I tried to communicate how much I genuinely enjoy doing my hobbies and how they help me relieve stress as opposed to angling it to sell myself more if that makes sense.

I really tried to show my personality in this one. I used it as a creative writing prompt about using reading and story telling as a coping mechanism. I tried to show them who I was outside academics so far less formal than my others

OOS II received, no ties to NJ, from a neighboring state but far away

I received a secondary this morning, OOS, no ties (see my post earlier in the thread for more details)

OOS M4 at CMSRU here.

The OOSers they take are mission oriented. The ISers are more traditional premeds (but of course can be mission oriented). If you're OOS but a service heavy applicant, you should definitely apply here regardless of stats. Philly area applicants should also apply to Cooper. Cooper wants to make more doctors for South Jersey and Philly area applicants are more likely to stay in the area after training because of family ties. Just my observations based on my class.

Feel free to DM or post any questions.

OOS II received just now! Strong ties to Philly, decent but not crazy service imo