-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 University of Florida Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
F
Anyone marked as complete? I got the "we're manually looking at everyone's rec letters" email, but nothing since then.
Received an email like an hour ago saying I was complete 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received an email like an hour ago saying I was complete 🙂
Awesome! You submitted a day before I did so it looks like I'll be getting one soon (hopefully!!)
Secondary received and submitted!! A top choice this is for me!! Good luck everyone!!
I am having a very difficult time with the last essay 🙁
Consider three areas of integrity: personal, professional, and intellectual. Using an example, describe how these areas may be interrelated. In your response include why the connection between these areas is significant.
Is UF asking for a personal example that combines all 3 areas of integrity? Or for us to make up an example that could encompass all 3?
Thanks!
Consider three areas of integrity: personal, professional, and intellectual. Using an example, describe how these areas may be interrelated. In your response include why the connection between these areas is significant.
Is UF asking for a personal example that combines all 3 areas of integrity? Or for us to make up an example that could encompass all 3?
Thanks!
Has anyone who submitted over a week ago not been marked as complete yet?
Never mind, recieved an email saying to identify the character letters and then was emailed the complete email
Never mind, recieved an email saying to identify the character letters and then was emailed the complete email
Last edited:
This was the worst secondary in my opinion...
Hey healh91, what do you mean by tutor? Just by answering specific questions etc?
I may be able to assist you, though I am no expert. I did recently took my MCAT though, and scored
in the upper echelon, if I do say so myself 🙂
Just thought I'd offer my help, let me know via private message what exactly it is you are seeking 🙂
I may be able to assist you, though I am no expert. I did recently took my MCAT though, and scored
in the upper echelon, if I do say so myself 🙂
Just thought I'd offer my help, let me know via private message what exactly it is you are seeking 🙂
Wait, so when they say "limit to 250-500 words", do we have to write at least 250? For example, in the current plans section I thought it would be a simple explanation.
Wait, so when they say "limit to 250-500 words", do we have to write at least 250? For example, in the current plans section I thought it would be a simple explanation.
I wouldn't over think it, write what you feel you need to say.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was marked complete even though they had only received my committee letter packet and not my separate character letters. Do you think I should call them and inform them that they should expect to receive 2 additional letters?
I was also marked complete without my additional letter About 1.5 weeks later, it was marked as"received" on my portal <---- MUCH later than all of the other schools received it.
I was marked complete even though they had only received my committee letter packet and not my separate character letters. Do you think I should call them and inform them that they should expect to receive 2 additional letters?
On their website it says something to the effect that you can be marked complete without you peer letter for interview invite purposes, but it has to be in either before you interview or can be accepted (don't remember which exactly).
On their website it says something to the effect that you can be marked complete without you peer letter for interview invite purposes, but it has to be in either before you interview or can be accepted (don't remember which exactly).
Thank you! I really hope I get an interview invite here from OOS.
I called today and asked about peer letter requirements. Leila said that peer letters are not required anymore. I just wanted to clarify for those who are worried about the peer letter. It used to be a requirement but it is not anymore. At least that's what I was told
To clarify - the character letters (2) are required, one of which MAY be from a peer, but a letter from a peer is not required. That is my understanding at least
To clarify - the character letters (2) are required, one of which MAY be from a peer, but a letter from a peer is not required. That is my understanding at least
Last edited:
Any interview invites yet? I think UF was the first to send out IIs last year. Just wondering since UCF will be sending them out this week or next week.
First UF II was 8/6 last cycle.
Can any current students comment on the new curriculum please?
Essay 1: Please limit your response to 250-500 words
If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2013 and May 2014, please detail your current and planned activities below.
Essay 2: Please limit your response to 250-500 words
At the core of our profession are attributes sometimes called the three Cs; Competence (clinical excellence), Caring (a genuine desire to help others or other centeredness) and Character (personal integrity and honesty). In order to grow in these areas, the best practitioners are able to reflect upon who they are as individuals (self-assessment) and allow these insights to shape how they develop as physicians. The relationships we develop with patients and colleagues are among the most rewarding aspects of being a physician and provide the theatre in which the three Cs are both learned and practiced. We therefore have two short essay questions designed to help you explore these important topics. The first deals with self-assessment, and the second deals with the experiences of two UF medical students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as young doctors.
Read the following description of introversion and extraversion from the Myers-Briggs foundation website. Most people, while seeing themselves to one degree or another in each description, are inclined towards either being introverted or extroverted. Both groups make wonderful physicians, but each personality type has some inherent strengths and weaknesses which need to be appreciated as individuals develop into practicing physicians. Do you see yourself as more of an extravert or an introvert and how will this impact how you learn to communicate with patients and colleagues?
Um, am I missing something here? Essay 2 says "We therefore have two short essay questions designed to help you explore these important topics. The first deals with self-assessment, and the second deals with the experiences of two UF medical students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as young doctors." Where is this second essay that deals with two UF medical students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as young doctors??
Every time there's a new post in this thread my heart skips a beat. Excited for IIs to start even if it's not my own.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, but there is nowhere on the application or on the Essay 2 page that talks about the experiences of 2 UF med students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as doctors, right? Because those 2 essays on the following essay are "A Helping Hand" and "Non-adherent" and not about facing the loss of a patient. They must have kept some wording from the previous application cycle?
Okay, but there is nowhere on the application or on the Essay 2 page that talks about the experiences of 2 UF med students facing the loss of a patient and its impact on them as doctors, right? Because those 2 essays on the following essay are "A Helping Hand" and "Non-adherent" and not about facing the loss of a patient. They must have kept some wording from the previous application cycle?
Yes I am pretty sure the wording was kept the same from a previous cycle. Those essays did indeed speak about facing death as a maturing physician, this cycle's essay did not.
Anyone else's portal say transcripts not required for now?
I know amcas received mine.
I know amcas received mine.
Anybody know when II will start rolling out?
Anybody know when II will start rolling out?
I think they probably started sending them out but just not to anyone on SDN...or no one's posting it. UF is usually the earliest Florida school to send them out.
In essays #4 and #5, is it 500 words maximum or minimum. I haven't received the secondary yet, so I'm relying on the posts here for the questions. Thanks!
Has anyone sent an update? I am trying to do my summer grades and a couple other things.
Do we simply type it in and save it? I don't see a way to submit it again. My answers are still edit-able so it wouldn't seem like I've done it right.
That's what I did. I believe when they access your file for review, it then shows up as an addendum to your secondary (<-- pure speculation). I believe last year's first invites went out at this time, but do you believe the AMCAS delay will subsequently delay UF's IIs by a week, as well?
Still no SDN IIs? Weird...
Do you know of any non-SDN IIs?
Do you know of any non-SDN IIs?
Ditto. Suspense is killing me.
Do you know of any non-SDN IIs?
No :/
Well, maybe since AMCAS apps are processed slower this year, the interviews will roll out later as well? Just a suggestion, I am simply another anxious cross-fingered pre-med.No :/
P.S. Good luck everyone 🙂.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we suppose to get a "complete" email? I never got one, although my status does have a checkmark on "app complete"
That happened to me, I called about 2 weeks after submitting everything, and the woman said it happens but I was in fact complete and my file had been forwarded to adcom. She then clicked something in the system where I was sent a complete email moments later, however I made sure to clarify that my file had indeed already been sent to adcom before speaking with her, supposedly on the date it showed completion on the status page.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
