-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Howard University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks nickplnc. Could you describe how your interview was? I understand that it was one on one but could you expand on it? Was yours a faculty at Howard or a physician? Did they focus more on the material in your file or on you as a person? Were there ethical scenarios?
Thanks!
Pretty much a standard 1-on-1 interview. It was with a faculty member at HUCM. We just talked about various aspects of my application in a conversational way. Nothing stressful! good luck.
Decision letter signed, whatever that means.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the email say you can call in??Decision letter signed, whatever that means.
Still waiting for an interview... Any II lately?
Yes it does, but I feel it would be easier to just tell us the decisions through email instead of having to call in to find out if we are accepted.Does the email say you can call in??
That's a good sign, at my interview they said that if they tell you to call in, it's an acceptance! They don't do rejections over the phone!Yes it does, but I feel it would be easier to just tell us the decisions through email instead of having to call in to find out if we are accepted.
The day has finally come, first acceptance of the cycle. I have been waiting so long for this moment and I am beyond overjoyed. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
ACCEPTED as well!!! So happy!! Enjoyed my time at Howard! Interviewed 10/1 🙂
Did anyone else have trouble getting through on the numbers provided? Also @Dinoarms yes - I was notified that my decision letter had been signed and my Howard portal still says my interview is not yet scheduled. It seems most communication after the secondary submission is done by e-mail.
Last edited:
Accepted yesterday as well! Interviewed 10/21. Called in, so I am awaiting the official letter/forms. They said it should get to me within 5 days or so.
No word from this school yet after receiving what I think was a complete email back in mid-September. I have had two interviews so far and one coming up back East as well as one at a UC scheduled as well. Is there any way to tell where this school is in the process of reviewing completed applications?
No word from this school yet after receiving what I think was a complete email back in mid-September. I have had two interviews so far and one coming up back East as well as one at a UC scheduled as well. Is there any way to tell where this school is in the process of reviewing completed applications?
Are you URM? I'm not completely sure, but it seems like they've only extended offers to URM applicants so far. I could be wrong though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
False, there were Asians and a couple Caucasians at my interviewAre you URM? I'm not completely sure, but it seems like they've only extended offers to URM applicants so far. I could be wrong though.
Yes, three times over.Are you URM? I'm not completely sure, but it seems like they've only extended offers to URM applicants so far. I could be wrong though.
Thanks nickplnc. Could you describe how your interview was? I understand that it was one on one but could you expand on it? Was yours a faculty at Howard or a physician? Did they focus more on the material in your file or on you as a person? Were there ethical scenarios?
Thanks!
Hey! To help answer some of your questions, I interviewed on October 28th and my interviewer was faculty/physician AND head of admissions. He didn't focus on stuff in my file. He wanted to talk specifically about why I wanted to go into medicine and why I wanted to go to Howard specifically. He even asked me how Howard ranked for me compared to Morehouse and Meharry which was pretty personal and a bit awkward, but expected! He wanted to know how I fit the mission so he asked me about experiences where I showed empathy with patients..etc. Basically just have good examples from your life that prove you'd be a good fit. Overall it was laid back and felt like a conversation.
Just signed into the portal for the first time in a while and I noticed I only have one thing listed under communication status and Application status says Interview not scheduled yet? I don't get the admissions office.
Mine says the same thing, "interview not scheduled yet."Just signed into the portal for the first time in a while and I noticed I only have one thing listed under communication status and Application status says Interview not scheduled yet? I don't get the admissions office.
Just signed into the portal for the first time in a while and I noticed I only have one thing listed under communication status and Application status says Interview not scheduled yet? I don't get the admissions office.
It's like that for everyone, don't think anything of it! That portal doesn't change once you submit your secondary; if you're getting an interview, it will be communicated via email! 🙂Mine says the same thing, "interview not scheduled yet."
Yeah, I figured. It's been like that since I got a confirmation email. I was just saying that mine says the same thing...though I wish it meant more than that lol.It's like that for everyone, don't think anything of it! That portal doesn't change once you submit your secondary; if you're getting an interview, it will be communicated via email! 🙂
For those of you who've been accepted, how long after your interview did you have to wait! It's been 4 weeks as of today and I'm gettin a lil antsy. Especially cause they said around the 15th! haha
7 weeks haha!For those of you who've been accepted, how long after your interview did you have to wait! It's been 4 weeks as of today and I'm gettin a lil antsy. Especially cause they said around the 15th! haha
Are you for sure going to Morehouse?! 🙂II here! Withdrawing, though. Best of luck to you all!
It's very likely! I've interviewed at all of my top choices thus far. For financial reasons, I probably won't be attending any more interviews. Just patiently waiting now, but if all else fails, I'll be at Morehouse next fall! 🙂Are you for sure going to Morehouse?! 🙂
I completely understand. I don't know how I'm going to do my next interviews lol
I've found megabus to be very helpful. I'm going to Durham for 3 dollars round tripI completely understand. I don't know how I'm going to do my next interviews lol

Oh man, I'm in California. Going to interviews costs me at least $500 😛I've found megabus to be very helpful. I'm going to Durham for 3 dollars round trip![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Haven't heard anything since my complete email... Is this a definite no?
Still waiting for an interview... Any II lately?
I'm still waiting for an interview as well. I submitted my secondary in the first week of September.
😱I've found megabus to be very helpful. I'm going to Durham for 3 dollars round trip![]()
Im in that SAME EXACT boat! 🤔I'm still waiting for an interview as well. I submitted my secondary in the first week of September.
Me three.Im in that SAME EXACT boat! 🤔
I have a feeling things will pick up after the holiday season. But that's still too long of a wait if you ask me 🙁
Does anyone know if HUCM is receptive to updates post-interview?
Thanks!
Thanks!
II Today but I've already picked a school so I'm going to have to decline.
II Today but I've already picked a school so I'm going to have to decline.
Congrats on being accepted and choosing a school!! When were you complete at HU?
Thank you! Mid SeptemberCongrats on being accepted and choosing a school!! When were you complete at HU?
Thank you! Mid September
oh cool, that's around the time I was completed, maybe i'll hear good news as well 🙂
Good luck!! 🙂oh cool, that's around the time I was completed, maybe i'll hear good news as well 🙂
Have any international students heard anything? (I am from Canada)
Have any international students heard anything? (I am from Canada)
I'm from Canada, was accepted around a month ago. Interviewed Oct 8
Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? I submitted mine around end of August.
I'm from Canada, was accepted around a month ago. Interviewed Oct 8
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received the "decision has been made" email this morning. Received a copy of the acceptance letter just now (to be mailed out in January)!!! Best Christmas present ever!!
Interviewed 11/04.
Interviewed 11/04.
Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? I submitted mine around end of August.
I submitted mine mid-August I believe. It was around 3-4 days after the secondary invites went out. Good luck!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K