-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Howard University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nobody has gotten any ii in a bazillion years. Don't worry too much about itany OOS recieved interview invite yet?? been complete since 9/8 and still no word from this school
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who has interviewed here wanna tell us a little bit about what interview day is like?
Hey! I interviewed here on 9/24. The day started pretty early and we met in small conference room and got to know each other. Then we did a brief tour and the interviewers came to get us...very laid back and very conversational 1 on 1. I had a great day and really hope to get some good news back from the school! Everyone is very friendly and sets up a welcoming environment.
I think all the interviews have been OOS.any OOS recieved interview invite yet?? been complete since 9/8 and still no word from this school
Wait. . . so I just looked on MSAR. It says that Howard interviewed 0 In-state last year, but that it had 4 in-state matriculants. . . something is not right.I think all the interviews have been OOS.
People defer admissions like crazy at this school so it makes sense. DC is so small and GWU and GTU eat up most DC apps.Wait. . . so I just looked on MSAR. It says that Howard interviewed 0 In-state last year, but that it had 4 in-state matriculants. . . something is not right.
somethin' smells fishyWait. . . so I just looked on MSAR. It says that Howard interviewed 0 In-state last year, but that it had 4 in-state matriculants. . . something is not right.
I'm going to print out a paper version of my entire app, drive to the school, stalk the place until I find the dean, and then ask him to man up and make a decision.
Believe me, I'm tempted. My grandma lives right next to Howard and I'm staying with her when I interview at usuhs at the end on October. Strongly considering it[emoji13] [emoji13]I'm going to print out a paper version of my entire app, drive to the school, stalk the place until I find the dean, and then ask him to man up and make a decision.
So I just got back from my interview. Craaaazy flight delays due to the weather. Anyways, I throughly enjoyed my time at Howard. There were eight other students who were interviewing. We watched a brief video on the history of Howard and toured the new simulation lab. The interviews started shortly after. It was VERY relaxed. I interviewed with Ms. Walk and she was extremely sweet. It was like I was having a conversation with my mom. After we interviewed, we sat in on a class lecture and then we ate lunch with some of the current med students. After that, we toured the anatomy (cadaver lab) which was interesting, but kinda weird considering we just ate lunch haha. The rest of the day was devoted to talking about the curriculum and financial aid. Overall, it was a great experience. Hopefully I'll be getting some good news from them soon!
So I just got back from my interview. Craaaazy flight delays due to the weather. Anyways, I throughly enjoyed my time at Howard. There were eight other students who were interviewing. We watched a brief video on the history of Howard and toured the new simulation lab. The interviews started shortly after. It was VERY relaxed. I interviewed with Ms. Walk and she was extremely sweet. It was like I was having a conversation with my mom. After we interviewed, we sat in on a class lecture and then we ate lunch with some of the current med students. After that, we toured the anatomy (cadaver lab) which was interesting, but kinda weird considering we just ate lunch haha. The rest of the day was devoted to talking about the curriculum and financial aid. Overall, it was a great experience. Hopefully I'll be getting some good news from them soon!
Niiice! Thanks for the insight!
The rest of us are so anxious to hear from them!
What's the best contact number and the hours to contact for Howard?
they sent number & hours in the complete email (but they are generally not responsive even then)What's the best contact number and the hours to contact for Howard?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! So, after you get a secondary confirmation email from Howard, where do you see 'SR code' on your application? I just see a cheerful message on my application status - "your application is ready! " ....is this okay?
Last edited:
For those who interviewed, is it good news or bad news if the decision letter has already been sent?
Hi! So, after you get a secondary confirmation email from Howard, where do you see 'SR code' on your application? I just see a cheerful message on my application status - "your application is ready! " ....is this okay?
I do not see the "SR code" anywhere either.
uuuuuuuuuurgh!!!!!!
I do not see the "SR code" anywhere either.
uuuuuuuuuurgh!!!!!!
Hi! So, after you get a secondary confirmation email from Howard, where do you see 'SR code' on your application? I just see a cheerful message on my application status - "your application is ready! " ....is this okay?
It seems that most of us can't see our SR code. This may be a glitch in the application this year.
The decision letter isn't being sent until or around mid November, did you get that email?For those who interviewed, is it good news or bad news if the decision letter has already been sent?
You are right, I meant to say a decision has already been made by the committee, but my decision letter won't be signed by the Dean until mid November. However, I remembered Ms Walk talking about the notifications for decisions would be different if you are rejected as opposed to wait-listed or accepted.The decision letter isn't being sent until or around mid November, did you get that email?
Oh I don't remember that, so you're saying that your letter has already been sent??You are right, I meant to say a decision has already been made by the committee, but my decision letter won't be signed by the Dean until mid November. However, I remembered Ms Walk talking about the notifications for decisions would be different if you are rejected as opposed to wait-listed or accepted.
I don't know if it is necessarily sent or not, just that it won't be signed until mid November.Oh I don't remember that, so you're saying that your letter has already been sent??
That is a general email sent to everyone who interviewed, it's to let us know the process is moving, don't think anything of it!I don't know if it is necessarily sent or not, just that it won't be signed until mid November.
I guess myself and everybody that was complete at the of august is being passed up.
it's only been 2 months, and it's been queit here in general - that seems incredibly premature to sayI guess myself and everybody that was complete at the of august is being passed up.
im glad to hear you've already interviewed... when were you complete? and are you an early decision applicant??So I just got back from my interview. Craaaazy flight delays due to the weather. Anyways, I throughly enjoyed my time at Howard. There were eight other students who were interviewing. We watched a brief video on the history of Howard and toured the new simulation lab. The interviews started shortly after. It was VERY relaxed. I interviewed with Ms. Walk and she was extremely sweet. It was like I was having a conversation with my mom. After we interviewed, we sat in on a class lecture and then we ate lunch with some of the current med students. After that, we toured the anatomy (cadaver lab) which was interesting, but kinda weird considering we just ate lunch haha. The rest of the day was devoted to talking about the curriculum and financial aid. Overall, it was a great experience. Hopefully I'll be getting some good news from them soon!
I was complete 9/3 and I received an interview invite on 9/8. I was not an ED applicant.im glad to hear you've already interviewed... when were you complete? and are you an early decision applicant??
For those of you with IIs, did you get a complete e-mail once you submitted your secondary? I only got a payment confirmation from ZAP. I'm not sure if I should act on my neurotic tendencies to call and bother admissions.
Wow they must hate my application LOLI was complete 9/3 and I received an interview invite on 9/8. I was not an ED applicant.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get
I didn't get a complete email.For those of you with IIs, did you get a complete e-mail once you submitted your secondary? I only got a payment confirmation from ZAP. I'm not sure if I should act on my neurotic tendencies to call and bother admissions.
I do not mean to scare you, but...... in my case until I called admissions and told them I did not receive an email, they could not see my application..... so some people may be ok without an email but some are not..... there was no way I could know.....For those of you with IIs, did you get a complete e-mail once you submitted your secondary? I only got a payment confirmation from ZAP. I'm not sure if I should act on my neurotic tendencies to call and bother admissions.
I do not mean to scare you, but...... in my case until I called admissions and told them I did not receive an email, they could not see my application..... so some people may be ok without an email but some are not..... there was no way I could know.....
Wow, thank you so much for mentioning it. I will definitely give them a call this week then!
What number are you calling??Wow, thank you so much for mentioning it. I will definitely give them a call this week then!
What number are you calling??
This is the number listed on the secondary, so I'm going to try this one: 202-806-6279.
Do you see 'SR' code anywhere on your application, as the email says?Submitted in August, received two complete emails one in Sept and the other in October. confusing.
Got an II today, complete on the 8th of September. I didn't initially receive a complete email. i called the school around the 15th of September, and the lady I spoke to said that I had been complete since the 8th, and then she did something and the complete email popped up.
Congrats. When did you actually submit your secondary?Got an II today, complete on the 8th of September. I didn't initially receive a complete email. i called the school around the 15th of September, and the lady I spoke to said that I had been complete since the 8th, and then she did something and the complete email popped up.
Call during these days and hoursSubmit in August but no complete email yet. Tried to call the admission office countless of times but no one responded.. 🙁
CALLING HOURS (All times Eastern) 202-806-6279
Mondays - 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 pm
Thursday - 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Fridays - 1:00 - 3:30 p.m
September 6th.Congrats. When did you actually submit your secondary?
Ahhhhh... Driving me crazy Howard! I submitted on 8/31 but didn't get an email until 9/11. Does that mean passed up? At this point I almost don't care anymore... So many schools have been so much friendlier/easier to contact/transparent that it keeps scooting further down !y list
Howard, don't be the guy that doesn't call back. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have there been any non URM that have received II's? Just trying to figure out if there's some sort of process to all of this/calm my neurotic tendencies. I know it's still relatively early, and I'm keeping faith, but looking at past years' threads there have been quite a few people who never hear back from Howard, not even a rejection email. I'm really hoping I'm not left hanging like that!
Or maybe that's better? I don't think I could handle a rejection email from this school as it's one of my top choices
Or maybe that's better? I don't think I could handle a rejection email from this school as it's one of my top choices
So did I...? Is that a good thing? lolSubmitted in August, received two complete emails one in Sept and the other in October. confusing.
Have there been any non URM that have received II's? Just trying to figure out if there's some sort of process to all of this/calm my neurotic tendencies. I know it's still relatively early, and I'm keeping faith, but looking at past years' threads there have been quite a few people who never hear back from Howard, not even a rejection email. I'm really hoping I'm not left hanging like that!
Or maybe that's better? I don't think I could handle a rejection email from this school as it's one of my top choices
Yeah I'm convincing myself that they are not looking at non-URMs, for the sake of my sanity. But there is really no way to know for sure; this thread isn't representative of the entire applicant pool to Howard.
About the complete email SR code situation: I emailed admissions and received this response:
"The last visible option to you will be SR (or SS if the recommendations have not completed downloading). If you see either of these codes, you are okay. However, you will not be able to follow proceeding of your application after those codes. After receipt of your secondary, we do all processing and reviewing on the AMCAS system – which is a private system.
We will send an update in mid-December of our application cycle and again in March. We will begin to dismiss (send final emails) applicants at the beginning of March and will continue through June.
As of today, we have 8015 applications, already up by 1,000 from last year. Our application year does not close until December 15 for AMCAS and January 15 for the secondary.
I hope this helps."
"The last visible option to you will be SR (or SS if the recommendations have not completed downloading). If you see either of these codes, you are okay. However, you will not be able to follow proceeding of your application after those codes. After receipt of your secondary, we do all processing and reviewing on the AMCAS system – which is a private system.
We will send an update in mid-December of our application cycle and again in March. We will begin to dismiss (send final emails) applicants at the beginning of March and will continue through June.
As of today, we have 8015 applications, already up by 1,000 from last year. Our application year does not close until December 15 for AMCAS and January 15 for the secondary.
I hope this helps."
I haven't even received a complete email... Submitted almost 2 months ago. Blahhh :-/
Edit: Just spoke to someone in Admissions and had my complete email sent within 5 mins! She said sometimes the email just doesn't send! I'm not sure how big a deal it is if you don't receive the email, but she said that my app was going to be reviewed shortly..I thought that I had been passed over, but I guess it hadn't even been looked at
Edit: Just spoke to someone in Admissions and had my complete email sent within 5 mins! She said sometimes the email just doesn't send! I'm not sure how big a deal it is if you don't receive the email, but she said that my app was going to be reviewed shortly..I thought that I had been passed over, but I guess it hadn't even been looked at
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K