-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Howard University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I haven't even received a complete email... Submitted almost 2 months ago. Blahhh :-/
Edit: Just spoke to someone in Admissions and had my complete email sent within 5 mins! She said sometimes the email just doesn't send! I'm not sure how big a deal it is if you don't receive the email, but she said that my app was going to be reviewed shortly..I thought that I had been passed over, but I guess it hadn't even been looked at
The same thing pretty much happened to me, but can you see an SR code now? I still can't see one on my application.
Sent letter of interest on thusday
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sent letter of interest on thusday
This may be a stupid question but... what is the letter of interest for at this phase of the application cycle?🙂
Its not a stupid question. At many of my interviews I noticed that my Americorp service with Habitat for Humanity was ignored. As I inquired as to why I found that because I couldn't mark it most meaningful ( and be honest) because I had just started on the primary many schools either missed it or failed to understand it as more than a construction job. The letter updated them on the importance of this service to the underserved population in New Orleans and how my service with Habitat has a noticeable public health impact. It give me a chance to show why this service was so meaningful to me now with pictures included and remind them I am still here and interested.This may be a stupid question but... what is the letter of interest for at this phase of the application cycle?🙂
II today!!! Interestingly enough, it came after I called about the "complete" email on Friday! I'll be there in November! 🙂
When were you complete?II today!!! Interestingly enough, it came after I called about the "complete" email on Friday! I'll be there in November! 🙂
I was complete on The website on sept 1st, but I received the complete email on Friday after callingWhen were you complete?
Same. I got a complete email but no sr codeSorry if this has been asked before, but has the "SR" code issue been solved, so to speak? I'm one of those guys that completed the secondary in early September, yet I cannot see the code to this day.
Its not a stupid question. At many of my interviews I noticed that my Americorp service with Habitat for Humanity was ignored. As I inquired as to why I found that because I couldn't mark it most meaningful ( and be honest) because I had just started on the primary many schools either missed it or failed to understand it as more than a construction job. The letter updated them on the importance of this service to the underserved population in New Orleans and how my service with Habitat has a noticeable public health impact. It give me a chance to show why this service was so meaningful to me now with pictures included and remind them I am still here and interested.
Oh Nice! I see....
Thanks for the clarification!
I don't think it matters, I never saw an SR code and still got an II!Same. I got a complete email but no sr code
So looking at the msar it seems like only 6 white students matriculated last year. Is this more because the acceptees wanted something else or because Howard just doesn't interview white students?
So looking at the msar it seems like only 6 white students matriculated last year. Is this more because the acceptees wanted something else or because Howard just doesn't interview white students?
Probably a bit of both. It is a historically black college after all.
I looked at the U.S. News Grad Compass data and unfortunately Howard doesn't report anything to them. Anyone been to an interview and can talk about the diversity of the applicants?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohhhh that's what they mean! But in my case it's YAR ! code as my status now reads;I think ppl have specualted it just means "secondary received"
"your application is ready! "
I hope we are all okay with whatever code we get. ...... 🙂
Ohhhh that's what they mean! But in my case it's YAR ! code as my status now reads;
"your application is ready! "
I hope we are all okay with whatever code we get. ...... 🙂
+ 1.
When were u complete?
I submitted my secondary late Sep... but not sure when I was complete. my status has been always YAR!+ 1.
When were u complete?
Can you call and ask if your application has been reviewed yet? Or are they not receptive to this kind of phone call?
makes sense. I was just kind of wondering.Probably a bit of both. It is a historically black college after all.
I looked at the U.S. News Grad Compass data and unfortunately Howard doesn't report anything to them. Anyone been to an interview and can talk about the diversity of the applicants?
Probably a bit of both. It is a historically black college after all.
I looked at the U.S. News Grad Compass data and unfortunately Howard doesn't report anything to them. Anyone been to an interview and can talk about the diversity of the applicants?
Hey guys I interviewed in late September and I identify as Caucasian. I definitely think that my application caught admission's attention because of my interest in serving underserved populations as a physician and my previous volunteer work in underserved areas. Out of the 15 or so people interviewing the day I was there, I was, from what I can tell, the only self-identified Caucasian. I think the school wants to stick to its tradition of mostly underrepresented students but if you fit their mission, I do not think race alone will deny you a chance at this school.
As a side note, the community at Howard was very welcoming. I really hope to hear good news soon because I would love to attend this school!
When do they give decisions??Hey guys I interviewed in late September and I identify as Caucasian. I definitely think that my application caught admission's attention because of my interest in serving underserved populations as a physician and my previous volunteer work in underserved areas. Out of the 15 or so people interviewing the day I was there, I was, from what I can tell, the only self-identified Caucasian. I think the school wants to stick to its tradition of mostly underrepresented students but if you fit their mission, I do not think race alone will deny you a chance at this school.
As a side note, the community at Howard was very welcoming. I really hope to hear good news soon because I would love to attend this school!
They said somewhere in mid-November!
Hey guys I interviewed in late September and I identify as Caucasian. I definitely think that my application caught admission's attention because of my interest in serving underserved populations as a physician and my previous volunteer work in underserved areas. Out of the 15 or so people interviewing the day I was there, I was, from what I can tell, the only self-identified Caucasian. I think the school wants to stick to its tradition of mostly underrepresented students but if you fit their mission, I do not think race alone will deny you a chance at this school.
As a side note, the community at Howard was very welcoming. I really hope to hear good news soon because I would love to attend this school!
Congrats on Your II. When were you complete?
Hey guys I interviewed in late September and I identify as Caucasian. I definitely think that my application caught admission's attention because of my interest in serving underserved populations as a physician and my previous volunteer work in underserved areas. Out of the 15 or so people interviewing the day I was there, I was, from what I can tell, the only self-identified Caucasian. I think the school wants to stick to its tradition of mostly underrepresented students but if you fit their mission, I do not think race alone will deny you a chance at this school.
As a side note, the community at Howard was very welcoming. I really hope to hear good news soon because I would love to attend this school!
Thanks for the response! 🙂
Were there any Latinos ?
I am currently building homes as an americorp for underserved minorities in New Orleans and have volunteered in underserved populations for many years. I haven't heard a peep.Hey guys I interviewed in late September and I identify as Caucasian. I definitely think that my application caught admission's attention because of my interest in serving underserved populations as a physician and my previous volunteer work in underserved areas. Out of the 15 or so people interviewing the day I was there, I was, from what I can tell, the only self-identified Caucasian. I think the school wants to stick to its tradition of mostly underrepresented students but if you fit their mission, I do not think race alone will deny you a chance at this school.
As a side note, the community at Howard was very welcoming. I really hope to hear good news soon because I would love to attend this school!
Congrats on Your II. When were you complete?
Thank you! I was complete mid August shortly after they sent out the secondary
Thanks for the response! 🙂
Were there any Latinos ?
Yes! I would say that about 4 students or so were latino/latina
I am currently building homes as an americorp for underserved minorities in New Orleans and have volunteered in underserved populations for many years. I haven't heard a peep.
Nice, I wouldn't worry too much I think they will value those activities and are probably just really backed up with applications
Last edited:
II today!
CA resident, complete around late August/Early Sept.
CA resident, complete around late August/Early Sept.
Lol timeline for iiWhat is the average timeline between submitting a secondary application Howard and obtaining an Interview. Also does anybody know what days are set up for interviews and what days Howard sets as interview notification days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got a call from DC today and started freaking out. Turns out, it was just a family friend 

Lmfao you literally gave me a heart attack halfway through reading your post haha!!Got a call from DC today and started freaking out. Turns out, it was just a family friend![]()
That is just how this thread is. SlowIt's awfully quiet on here y'all.
So many interviews for you... Congrats!Just got an II. Seems I was invited after a "2nd review of my app". I was complete mid August. Not sure if I'll accept it but people complete that time who are still waiting should def be on the lookout.
Seems that way, super lucky! Throwing good vibes your way!So many interviews for you... Congrats!
I submitted August 29th and still have not heard a single word from them. My secondary fee was charged twice and I was e-mailing and calling for 2 weeks straight and left voice-mails with no reply what so ever. They finally sent me an email saying the problem is being resolved so I got a refund for the 2nd charge. I don't like how it's nearly impossibly to get in contact with anyone from this school. Needless to say I hope my application is complete and under review. Just sent an e-mail today asking, but doubtful that I will get a response.
Can you call and ask if your application has been reviewed yet? Or are they not receptive to this kind of phone call?
I'm wondering the same thing. Been complete since late August...
The whole process is kind of like the lines at Disney World. They start moving real fast... You think you're almost there and then you turn the corner and realize the line wraps around 10 more times and the actual entrance to the ride is nowhere in sight. Then the line stops again for a while.... Eventually you get on and its the BEST RIDE EVERRR!! 😛.
You missed the part where you are almost at the end of the line but the park closes for the season and they tell you better luck next year.The whole process is kind of like the lines at Disney World. They start moving real fast... You think you're almost there and then you turn the corner and realize the line wraps around 10 more times and the actual entrance to the ride is nowhere in sight. Then the line stops again for a while.... Eventually you get on and its the BEST RIDE EVERRR!! 😛.
Hey guys, I'm an MS2 at Howard. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!
I had a question about living expenses and rent in D.C. Do most students live on or off campus and how much monthly rent are we looking at for someone who is OOS? Feel free to PM if you wish. Thanks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they say the Dean had to sign off on it? Or that you could call in?Just got the email that a decision has been made on my application. Hoping for the best! Interviewed Oct 8.
Did they say the Dean had to sign off on it? Or that you could call in?
Gotta wait until the associate dean signs the letter. They said it would be around Nov 15th, so I'm guessing it could be any day now.
Does anyone know what kind of interview Howard has? I know it's 1 on 1 but it is is a blind, partial blind, or an open interview?
Mine was open file
Thanks nickplnc. Could you describe how your interview was? I understand that it was one on one but could you expand on it? Was yours a faculty at Howard or a physician? Did they focus more on the material in your file or on you as a person? Were there ethical scenarios?Mine was open file
Thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K