2014-2015 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just declined my acceptance guys/gals, hope it goes to one of you lucky/deserving people. Keep your heads up because there is still at least one seat available!!!! Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a rising third year at Meharry. I have moved out of my 2 bedroom. I had a roommate who is looking for a new roommate. You can move in as soon as you want. Rent is 1200 every OTHER month + utilities (they won't let both of you pay in halves anymore). It's at the Lexington Apartments which is really nice and safe. Not too far if you get out before morning rush hour. Let me know if you need more info on the area, apts, etc. It's kind of difficult to find a place in June because that is when everyone is moving.
 
Anyone know of some nice, not too expensive, off campus housing??
I would recommend looking in bellevue and looking for a roommate. I think it's too late to get on campus housing. If I remember correctly it fills up quickly. Money is usually pretty tight for some of my colleagues towards the end of the semester who live alone.
 
I'm a rising third year at Meharry. I have moved out of my 2 bedroom. I had a roommate who is looking for a new roommate. You can move in as soon as you want. Rent is 1200 every OTHER month + utilities (they won't let both of you pay in halves anymore). It's at the Lexington Apartments which is really nice and safe. Not too far if you get out before morning rush hour. Let me know if you need more info on the area, apts, etc. It's kind of difficult to find a place in June because that is when everyone is moving.
Please how can I get in touch with your friend.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current students, what books do you guys recommend for first year classes besides required textbooks? BRS? First aid? Any anatomy atlases?
 
I would get a netter. But there is a student book sale soon after you arrive and big sibs will help you out so I wouldn't worry about it yet.
 
Current students, what books do you guys recommend for first year classes besides required textbooks? BRS? First aid? Any anatomy atlases?
We will talk to you guys about this during orientation. I am one of the CEDS tutors and also like @ankhchik said your big sib will give you more info when you get one. the first 2 weeks you won't be using books if I remember correctly
 
Just wanted to drop by and add a few words. Got rejected from this school after being on waitlist since December. I really loved this school and wrote them a ton of letters ---at the risk of begging them. And they finally said no. Two ivy degrees and five publication and decent numbers did not cut it. And my sincere commitment to the underserved and my extensive work with HIV patients in developing countries also did not sway the admissions. At the end of the day, med school admission is a toss up more than anything. You could have all the stars aligned for you and still get rejected. You could have come from the left field and still get in. But at the end of the day, I want to tell people who got rejected this year to never give up! I got reject in the past too and this year got seven interviews but only two admissions and three waitlists. I am fortunate that I will be attending a great med school come this fall. But it has been a tough journey and a hard fought battle. Re-furbish your app and try next year. But never ever give up because if medicine was meant to be for you, you can always end up somewhere. Also apply broadly and smartly and never get hang up on the HBC trend. It is possible you have a better chance at other schools (this is my case). Use the AAMC data that has admission stats WISELY! Good luck to you all and don't hesitate to contact me if you have specific questions.