2014-2015 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
a. Please choose the single answer that best describes your career goals:
Private Practice
Academic Medicine
Public Health
Healthcare Administration
Health Policy
Other

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

The USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations program aims to support the educational development of medical students by providing opportunities for academic endeavors in areas of special interest. This program facilitates self-directed learning, enhances interactions between students and fosters relationships between students and faculty. Scholarly concentrations provide a forum where diversity of ideas and perspectives are valued. Each concentration includes elements of course work, practical application and scholarly presentation.
Please review our Scholarly Concentrations website to determine which concentration would be of interest to you and answer the following question.

a. How would the USF Morsani College of Medicine’s Scholarly Concentrations Program help your personal career goals?

Describe a time in your life when you felt you were “at your best." Why did you choose this event, and how does it reflect your potential as a physician?

Who is the best leader you have known in your life? Describe what made her or him so effective and how they made you feel when you were around them.

The University of South Florida, College of Medicine strives to educate a very diverse set of students who bring a variety of strengths and interests to the field of medicine. The definition of diversity is broad and includes (but is not limited to) lifestyle, race/ethnicity, geography, socioeconomic status and distance traveled through life. The definition of strength is also broad and includes (but not limited to) humanism, scholarship, intellectual curiosity, research and leadership. How do you feel your particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity of the USF class and ultimately to the field of medicine?

Describe your ideas about how the medical profession can best respond to disparities in healthcare.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
?????

Anyone

Not excited for this secondary. Heard its like 10 essays long

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wo!
Talk about not having fun at all with that...sucks

Although the secondary is long, they DO read it and it plays a role in deciding whether to give you an interview or not, which means that a well-written secondary is a great advantage. So brace yourselves, guys, and do a good job on them. good luck!

Although the secondary is long, they DO read it and it plays a role in deciding whether to give you an interview or not, which means that a well-written secondary is a great advantage. So brace yourselves, guys, and do a good job on them. good luck!

I'd sure hope they read it since they ask so much of you lol

They said during the interview that they do. C'mon, guys, you are competing for a chance of becoming a doctor. The reward is definitely worth spending time on those secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the one school in the United States I can't apply to with my current letters. They seem pretty firm about needing five letters from very specific people from what I see on their website.

This is the one school in the United States I can't apply to with my current letters. They seem pretty firm about needing five letters from very specific people from what I see on their website.

I dont have 5 from the specific ones they want either but I am going to apply anyways. What do you have to lose?

Can someone describe the differences between the CORE and Select programs? I read somewhere that the select program would be more attractive to OOS applicants, but didn't explicitly state why. Is it just because you do clinicals in PA? Or is it easier to get into? Is it even true?

I dont have 5 from the specific ones they want either but I am going to apply anyways. What do you have to lose?

I'm still applying, I just hope they aren't as firm about the specific letters as they seem. Can't pass up an instate school. Worded the first post badly I guess.

Can someone describe the differences between the CORE and Select programs? I read somewhere that the select program would be more attractive to OOS applicants, but didn't explicitly state why. Is it just because you do clinicals in PA? Or is it easier to get into? Is it even true?

You pay the same tuition for SELECT as for CORE as an OOS so if anything it doesn't make a difference. I am not sure of the ease of getting in the program, but it may be easier for certain candidates who may not have success in traditional admissions programs (lower stat folks), but serve as a good fit for the SELECT program. In the first two years, SELECT and CORE are merged in most classes (except for Doctoring 1), but SELECT students have additional curriculum. It's supposed to substitute for the scholarly concentration, although the workload is probably a little bit more and you can sign up for a scholarly concentration as a SELECT student, but it's not required. If you want additional details on the goals of the SELECT program, the website has a decent summary.

In short, it's trying to make better doctors through leadership and emotional intelligence. The candidates they select for the program are not necessarily those who have the highest GPA or MCAT, but those who they think are most likely to benefit from the program and become those better doctors.

Posted this in last year's thread, but it's a good summary of the MS1 for those applying this year to keep in mind.

Most of learning is in lectures which are recorded and downloadable. The lectures are not mandatory unless they are active learning sessions, explanation to follow. My guess of the 50% number is they count "Active Learning" sessions as PBL. They are basically souped up lectures that teach the topics that we've learned about in lecture or in anatomy lab and apply them in a clinical scenario. They are supposed to have more audience interaction and sometimes we talk in groups during the lecture and come back and discuss the topics in the whole lecture. The quality of the experience is somewhat dependent on the lecturer and some were very helpful and some not-so-much. They seemed to become more useful as the year progresses. We also have a Clinical problem solving element that lasts about 8 weeks with 3 hour sessions every week in which it follows the more traditional PBL format you might be thinking of. Pretty painless and not a significant time waster.

There are 4 courses through the year that follow the block format of different organ systems. There are three tests spread within the block and one practical exam for anatomy. Within the courses we have anatomy lab scheduled to dissect the organ systems we are covering and doctoring that usually covers the exam skills and other topics within the organ system. In addition to doctoring we have ethics, humanities, and biostat/clinical research topics that are sprinkled throughout the courses. Ethics and biostats/clinical research have separate midterm and final tests. There is a comprehensive final exam that covers all the topics in a broad, high yield approach at the end of the year. SELECT has some additional requirements throughout the year

Doctoring, anatomy lab, humanities, ethics, and the active learning sessions are mandatory. Some biostat/clinical research methods classes are mandatory, but not the majority. They are also recorded. You also have a clinical experience for about the half the year that is once a week, most weeks. That is also mandatory.

That's pretty much first year in a nutshell. The benefits are you will definitely see a patient and talk to patients (some standardized, some not) in your first year and you will start to get a clinical flavor of why all this stuff is important. The downside is if you were planning on attending medical school from the comfort of your apartment first year, that's not really an option. In second year, anatomy lab is gone, but everything else is still present I think. I haven't started yet, so I can't say for sure we are still doing ethics, humanities, or biostat/clinical research next year. We still do doctoring, clinical problem solving, and the clinical experience for sure in second year. Second year ends at the end of February to allow time for step 1 prep and for us SELECT folks to move to Pennsylvania starting in May.

I like the P/F and block system. It allows me to to have a life, reduce stress , and reduce unneeded competition with my classmates. I don't worry about what grades they're getting. I just judge my performance based off my own expectations which is a definitely healthy attitude to develop for you MS1's.

Forgot to add in the previous thread, but I'm not 100% sure active learnings are in second year so there might be a significant reduction in MS2 mandatory classes. I'm honestly hoping that's the case. I really like watching the lectures recorded and on double speed. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tampa's another interesting-looking, in-state choice.

Does anybody understand USF's LOR requirements? I am having trouble getting a hold of someone in admissions when I call to ask. Can a committee letter replace the 3 specific faculty letters requirement or is it a strict 5 letters needed no matter what? My committee only required me to get 1 science and 1 non-science LOR from professors, so I currently only have a total of 4 letters to send to USF including the 2 character letters.

Pretty sure they want all 5. I think it is a big part of the review process. Also most schools expect 2 science letters even if you have a committee letter. Your LORs are having a much stronger effect on selection than ever before.

I've read previously that the secondary for this school arrives in mid-late July, anyone have any idea if that's true?

Reactions: 1 user
I've read previously that the secondary for this school arrives in mid-late July, anyone have any idea if that's true?

Most schools send secondaries around this time for their initial applicants. I do believe that's when I received my secondary the year I applied. There has been a lot of turnover in the admin office since I applied so it's not a guarantee that's when you will receive it.

I received my secondary in late July (July 26th to be exact) if that helps. I applied early decision, though.

when were you verified last cycle?

I received my secondary in late July (July 26th to be exact) if that helps. I applied early decision, though.

Hmm, the first couple questions on last year's secondary are pretty much the same as Stanford's....not that I'm complaining. The more overlap in these secondaries the better.

If you are confused about the required LORs or will not be submitting specifically what they are asking for, I would advise just emailing admissions. They usually respond within a day at USF and are fairly lenient if you are a non-traditional applicant. This is also general advice for all schools - definitely double check via email before submitting a secondary if you are unsure about any part of your application!

If you are confused about the required LORs or will not be submitting specifically what they are asking for, I would advise just emailing admissions. They usually respond within a day at USF and are fairly lenient if you are a non-traditional applicant. This is also general advice for all schools - definitely double check via email before submitting a secondary if you are unsure about any part of your application!

I'm not non-trad though I just dont have a close relationship to any higher ups at my volunteer spots. I am pretty sure if I email them theyll just say no I need a letter from a volunteering location

Hey guys, I plan on taking the September 12th MCAT (first time). USF is one of the schools I'm hoping to apply to. Do you guys think Sep. 12 is too late for me to be considered for USF this cycle? Or should I take the gap year?

Hey guys, I plan on taking the September 12th MCAT (first time). USF is one of the schools I'm hoping to apply to. Do you guys think Sep. 12 is too late for me to be considered for USF this cycle? Or should I take the gap year?
That is rather late and kind of a big risk seeing as you would get your score in October. I would suggest applying next cycle.

That is rather late and kind of a big risk seeing as you would get your score in October. I would suggest applying next cycle.
What if I end up with a solid MCAT score when I get my results back ftom the September test? My GPA is 8.2 cumulative, and I have good community service + clinical experience? And other activities in general.

What if I end up with a solid MCAT score when I get my results back ftom the September test? My GPA is 8.2 cumulative, and I have good community service + clinical experience? And other activities in general.
:eek:

It's honestly up to you. It may work out... it may not. You stand a better chance applying applying early but if you have the funds to spend and want to risk it go for it. I just wouldn't recommend it. Think about it a little bit before you decide.

:eek:

It's honestly up to you. It may work out... it may not. You stand a better chance applying applying early but if you have the funds to spend and want to risk it go for it. I just wouldn't recommend it. Think about it a little bit before you decide.
Omg I'm so sorry... I meant a 3.82 hahaha.

I'm in the fee assistance program so I get the primary for free and may be able to wave the secondaries. What do you think? Have you heard of any success stories of people applying late here?

Let's be realistic here. You won't be considered September 12. You will be considered when your MCAT comes back, in October.

Let's be realistic here. You won't be considered September 12. You will be considered when your MCAT comes back, in October.
I just replied to your post in my other thread! Haha. Yes, I know I won't be considered until October because I have to wait for my MCAT score. But I wanted to ask what my chances for an acceptance would be while being considered in October.

I just replied to your post in my other thread! Haha. Yes, I know I won't be considered until October because I have to wait for my MCAT score. But I wanted to ask what my chances for an acceptance would be while being considered in October.

Impossible to predict. I am a USF student, I am not an ADCOM. I will say it's likely lower than if you had been complete earlier than the season. We start interviewing in August, IIRC.

Omg I'm so sorry... I meant a 3.82 hahaha.

I'm in the fee assistance program so I get the primary for free and may be able to wave the secondaries. What do you think? Have you heard of any success stories of people applying late here?
Lol it's okay I knew it was a typo.

Listen friend, I'm sure there will be some success stories but it's not the norm. Your GPA is fine and if you get a 32+ on the MCAT you will have a competitive application provided that the rest of your app is on point. You will be much more successful applying early next year than applying late this year. I don't think having FAP really changes anything. Put it this way, you will get your MCAT score back around the time USF starts handing out acceptances (October 15). You don't want to do this process more than once so take your time.

Reactions: 2 users
Impossible to predict. I am a USF student, I am not an ADCOM. I will say it's likely lower than if you had been complete earlier than the season. We start interviewing in August, IIRC.
I understand, thank you so much for answering me. Do you happen to know any other USF students who were in a similar position that still got an acceptance?

I understand, thank you so much for answering me. Do you happen to know any other USF students who were in a similar position that still got an acceptance?

I don't quiz my classmates on their application cycles. Most of the folks who were late and successful were likely in the SMP program and applied late purposely so their grades from the program would be available to the ADCOM. That's a special exception though.

I don't quiz my classmates on their application cycles. Most of the folks who were late and successful were likely in the SMP program and applied late purposely so their grades from the program would be available to the ADCOM. That's a special exception though.
Thank you so much for the info! :)

Anyone got the prompts for this year's secondaries?

Does anybody understand USF's LOR requirements? I am having trouble getting a hold of someone in admissions when I call to ask. Can a committee letter replace the 3 specific faculty letters requirement or is it a strict 5 letters needed no matter what? My committee only required me to get 1 science and 1 non-science LOR from professors, so I currently only have a total of 4 letters to send to USF including the 2 character letters.
I also have had difficulty getting someone on the phone. They don't like to talk apparently. I am non-traditional, so I have substituted supervisor letters per their FAQ, but I would like a firm that's Ok as well.

Has anyone received a secondary yet? This is the only Florida school I haven't heard from.

From last year, usf was the last secondary to send out by quite a bit. I don't think I received it until august.

I also have had difficulty getting someone on the phone. They don't like to talk apparently. I am non-traditional, so I have substituted supervisor letters per their FAQ, but I would like a firm that's Ok as well.

I spoke to someone and she told me to get the extra letter if possible, but if not it's ok. I was able to get through by pressing the menu option for applicants with last names starting in the first half of the alphabet. I believe I spoke to Adrienne.

From last year, usf was the last secondary to send out by quite a bit. I don't think I received it until august.

Honestly, that sounds good to me. Already swamped with secondaries as it is.

when was your primary processed last cycle?

Mine was processed almost beginning of the day of the cycle. I got a secondary invitation on Aug 3. Complete on the 16th. Got my interview for SELECT in January.
Appreciate the timeline. Wonder why USF waits so long.