2014-2015 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you out of the country? It does not work if you are...

Worked for me fine when I applied from another country a couple years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my secondary from out of the country a few days ago. Definitely worked

I just submitted my secondary from out of the country a few days ago. Definitely worked
Lucky...I tried everything and did not work. Luckily, I have returned and my secondary has been submitted :)

Do they accept many OOSers for its CORE program?

Many? No. Some? Yes. I don't know the exact numbers but USF is a state school and there are plenty of Florida applicants so they can be pretty picky with the OOSers they do take. Seems like a lot of Cali folks (even more in SELECT), but I guess they're everywhere.

Any current USF COM students with thoughts on the scholarly concentrations? Biomedical research seems like the straightforward way to go, but are any of the others specifically interesting?

Anybody know how to answer the " describe your best moment and why it reflects your potential as a physician question? I answered my last 2 weeks of sophmore year wen i was balancing all my schoolwork and ECs but I feel like thats generic?

Any current USF COM students with thoughts on the scholarly concentrations? Biomedical research seems like the straightforward way to go, but are any of the others specifically interesting?
Really depends on what you're interested in. To name a few, there's Health Disparities, International Medicine, Medical Education, Business, Law, Gender & Medicine, and Research. Whatever tickles your fancy. I think they would all be interesting in their own way and I think you're pretty free to pursue whatever project you wish in each respective concentration.

Anybody know how to answer the " describe your best moment and why it reflects your potential as a physician question? I answered my last 2 weeks of sophmore year wen i was balancing all my schoolwork and ECs but I feel like thats generic?

If you feel you can relate it to the question, go for it! I wrote about doing my thesis presentation - during orientation last week I found out a bunch of us wrote about presentations/school related topics. If you truly believe that was your best moment and reflects your potential, absolutely write about it. It won't be generic when you relate it specifically to things you accomplished and how that made you grow as a person. If you try to find something "bigger" that you don't believe as much it will probably fall flat or come across as contrived. Just be honest :) GL!!

Awesome. Verified today, got secondary today! Loving it! Go Bulls!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the stats are like for the CORE vs SELECT programs?

I saw earlier posts that claimed SELECT tends to be lower, but I'm curious to see how actual numbers since msar doesn't differentiate between the two programs.

Thanks in advanced!

Does anybody know the stats are like for the CORE vs SELECT programs?

I saw earlier posts that claimed SELECT tends to be lower, but I'm curious to see how actual numbers since msar doesn't differentiate between the two programs.

Thanks in advanced!

I have not seen this information published or disseminated. I got in to SELECT with a pretty low GPA, but decent MCAT. Some of my SELECT colleagues I've chatted with have had high GPA's. It's probably variable, but I think SELECT does give a little more leeway if you demonstrate certain characteristics they're looking for.

REALLY hoping for some SELECT love here!

EDP secondary deadline was yesterday. Does anyone have any further insight into the EDP interview timeline or when the committee is meeting. Can they really stick to Tuesdays only interviews for EDP? Because that would mean there would be only 6 or 7 potential interview dates before the October 1st deadline. Just wondering.

For anyone curious: I'm a re-applicant. I was wait-listed during the previous cycle, then released Aug. 4th (first day of classes for 2014). Also, I graduated from the USF IMS program in 2013 with a 3.8 gGPA, and after IMS I managed to bring my MCAT up from a 21 to a 28.

Good luck everyone!

This is probably a silly question but has anyone tried emailing them and applying to both programs after only applying for the core program in the secondary?

The secondary doesn't make it seem like it's possible but figured id ask.

EDP secondary deadline was yesterday. Does anyone have any further insight into the EDP interview timeline or when the committee is meeting. Can they really stick to Tuesdays only interviews for EDP? Because that would mean there would be only 6 or 7 potential interview dates before the October 1st deadline. Just wondering.

For anyone curious: I'm a re-applicant. I was wait-listed during the previous cycle, then released Aug. 4th (first day of classes for 2014). Also, I graduated from the USF IMS program in 2013 with a 3.8 gGPA, and after IMS I managed to bring my MCAT up from a 21 to a 28.

Good luck everyone!

Even if that was the case, there are 12 people that interview per date, and I don't think that many people interview EDP.

Also, SELECT interviews on Mondays, so USF MCOM has 2 interview days.

Doesn't this school offer a health science master's program that puts you in the same classes as the medical students? And if you do well in all the classes, you get an interview at USF med school?

USF does offer the IMS masters program that puts you in the same classes as the medical students. If you do well it looks really good on your medical school application, but there are no guaranteed interviews given. The program takes about 10-15 students each year and the classes start in the summer. I completed the IMS program in 2013 and I'm a current MS1 at USF, so feel free to PM me with questions :)

Doesn't this school offer a health science master's program that puts you in the same classes as the medical students? And if you do well in all the classes, you get an interview at USF med school?

I've been sitting on this since 07/31 and am finally almost done with it. Is it late...? This was a monster of a secondary...worst than Miami Miller..

I've been sitting on this since 07/31 and am finally almost done with it. Is it late...? This was a monster of a secondary...worst than Miami Miller..

idk but that's faster than me. i got it a few days before you and am hoping to send it out tomorrow morning.

I was an IMS student alongside Dr. Baby. Last cycle I was given an interview but sadly I was overlooked for 2014 admission. So Dr. Baby is right, NOTHING IS GUARANTEED!

USF does offer the IMS masters program that puts you in the same classes as the medical students. If you do well it looks really good on your medical school application, but there are no guaranteed interviews given. The program takes about 10-15 students each year and the classes start in the summer. I completed the IMS program in 2013 and I'm a current MS1 at USF, so feel free to PM me with questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
It definitely helps your application doing a Master's at USF, whether it's the IMS or the MSP3 program. There are quite a few graduates from both programs in the MS1 class. But then again you have to excel at the program to stand out, especially in the MSP3 with over 200 students.

No doubt it helps, especially if you do well, but it's also extremely important to get your application in early. Can't stress that enough.

It definitely helps your application doing a Master's at USF [...] But then again you have to excel at the program to stand out [...]

Reactions: 2 users
for the question that asks me to describe me at my best, would it be ridiculous to describe that I have worked hard over my life, but I still dont consider any of them to be my best, because I know i have greater potential? I ask this, because its actually how I feel.

Edit: I just reread the entire question. Since it is asking for a specific event, would me saying what I wrote above show that I dont know how to follow directions and cast me in a negative light

Last edited:
for the question that asks me to describe me at my best, would it be ridiculous to describe that I have worked hard over my life, but I still dont consider any of them to be my best, because I know i have greater potential? I ask this, because its actually how I feel.

Edit: I just reread the entire question. Since it is asking for a specific event, would me saying what I wrote above show that I dont know how to follow directions and cast me in a negative light

Yes. They want to hear about your strengths (I assume). Your answer would tell them nothing about them.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an ADCOM.

I agree with xffan. For a SELECT prologue activity we literally took our answers from this and discussed it in small groups. If any of us had said your answer, our faculty mentors would have been less than impressed, and probably would have viewed it as a smarta** answer - not necessarily the vibe you want to give off to adcoms.. I understand that you genuinely feel that you always have room for improvement - a lot of people do - but if you are having trouble with it I would try to answer the question not as if they're asking about a time you were the best you could be, but rather a time you were the best you've been so far. Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have other questions about the secondary or USF in general :)

Yes. They want to hear about your strengths (I assume). Your answer would tell them nothing about them.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an ADCOM.
Yea I changed my answer and said that my college years were my best because I seized the opportunity and strengthened my weaker skills

Select and Core people who got IIs, what were your stats IS?

This might sound like a dumb question, but what do people mean when you say I or II? I've just never encountered this outside SDN

Select and Core people who got IIs, what were your stats IS?

Are you talking about this application cycle? I don't know about me but USF MCOM has not sent me an II yet. Maybe next week they'll give an invite for the EDP.

for the disparities in healthcare question, are they specifically asking for what physicians can do to take care of the problem, or how can healthcare improve in general?

Anyone here know of anyone getting an interview invite?

Anyone know when regular decision interviews will be sent out?

Reactions: 1 users
is USF receptive to in-the-area emails? I have an II at a florida school and I'm flying all the way from West Coast....and the airfare wasn't a pretty price D:

Just submitted today, 9/2! Hoping for some IS love 3.51/33.5/30 (11/9/10)

Anyone know the pros and cons of the SELECT Program vs the CORE Program? I can't seem it find it anywhere.

Anyone know the pros and cons of the SELECT Program vs the CORE Program? I can't seem it find it anywhere.
Select goes to PA 3rd and 4th year
Select is more expensive (pay out of state tuition)
Select students have additional courses/activities that are supposed to build leadership and 'emotional intelligence'
Select students are paired with a mentor who they skype with every week, I believe