2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a Chemistry class to fulfill the English requirement. This is directly from the secondary:

In addition, you may be granted credit for our English requirement by completing non-science courses with a significant writing component.

Well I have a few economics classes and I took an upper level English class. So you think social sciences are a safe bet?

I have yet to receive a secondary. I guess I could go on the safe side and take a literature course at the local community college (cheaper and flexibility).

Members don't see this ad.

So has anyone received a secondary that has like average stats? Mid-30s and >3.6?

Reactions: 4 users
So has anyone received a secondary that has like average stats? Mid-30s and >3.6?

im wondering about this as well. Also, how long does it take vanderbilt to finish prescreening all of us?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the required coursework section on the secondary, are you checking off all of your Biology/Chemistry courses or just the intro courses that fulfill the requirement?

For the required coursework section on the secondary, are you checking off all of your Biology/Chemistry courses or just the intro courses that fulfill the requirement?
I checked all that apply.

See I only did the amount required to meet the requirement....
I'm sure that's fine as long as you met the minimum unit requirements. I doubt that any admissions decisions will hinge upon how many courses we checked to satisfy their requirements!

already past the 2 wk mark. sigh. this secondary is so hard. my goal is to have a pretty solid draft tonight and submit tomorrow.
the rest of you guys waiting out there - honestly it's a blessing. it's my hardest secondary besides the two that asks for 500 words for why I wanted to go to their school lol. i wish i had all this time to prewrite it. it's a toughie.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
already past the 2 wk mark. sigh. this secondary is so hard. my goal is to have a pretty solid draft tonight and submit tomorrow.
the rest of you guys waiting out there - honestly it's a blessing. it's my hardest secondary besides the two that asks for 500 words for why I wanted to go to their school lol. i wish i had all this time to prewrite it. it's a toughie.
The grass is always greener on the other side, no?
At the same time, it's hard to pre-write for something if for all you know, pre-writing may be a complete waste of time because you never receive a secondary.

Verified today, 7/16; received secondary today 7/16, a few hours after verification.
3.96, 38.

Judging from the fact that i have the same MCAT as the poster above me, but a higher gpa and got the secondary almost instantaneosly, it seems like they are doing a "LizzyM score" cutoff for the ones they send out automatically without holistic review. Wonder how high that cutoff is if a 74.5 (poster above me, 36.5+38) doesn't cut it....
From looking at everyone who's got it vs those who haven't I think their cutoffs are GPA ≥3.8 and MCAT ≥37

From looking at everyone who's got it vs those who haven't I think their cutoffs are GPA ≥3.8 and MCAT ≥37

Agreed, 3.8+, 36 here and nothing yet. It's definitely an 'AND' not 'OR'.

The grass is always greener on the other side, no?
At the same time, it's hard to pre-write for something if for all you know, pre-writing may be a complete waste of time because you never receive a secondary.

Yeah I never prewrote lol..but then again I was kind of stupid and didn't think it was a thing back then.
I feel like I am letting Vandy down....they are so nice in their emails and i got secondary the first day. sigh, oh well.

Verified on July 1st. Still no secondary. I feel foolish even applying

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, 3.75 and 37 here and no secondary yet. Still hopeful, though. I have time to get my other secondaries in, and I'd rather get screened out than spend a ton of money if I didn't have a chance. Chin up, errybody.

Frands, check your emails. Secondary received.

Finally got a secondary!!!!!

Will they email you if you DON'T get a secondary?

Think I read on last year's thread that they send out rejection emails early september

34 & 3.8 still nothing over here

I got an interview last year with Vandy with 3.7 GPA and 33 MCAT (with tons of service, which they brought up in the interview), but didn't interview until December. Vandy broke my heart when I got waitlisted there (and just rejected here in June).

Will be matriculating at Univeristy of Michigan instead (did undergrad at U of M), but Nashville was awesome. For average stats, you will be waiting for awhile for interviews, as like a lot of the top 20 med schools, they offer the superstars interview invites first. Just be patient and keep busy (not on SDN either, you'll drive yourself crazy). Check out the folks MDAPPs who got interview at Vandy last year, and if they report when the interview time period. Best wishes to all.

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else having profound trouble with the autobiography prompt? If any previous applicants have comments on it I'd love to hear them. My problem is that what I would want to write about my life isn't something they would want to hear, and aside from that I don't even want to write about it.

Is anyone else having profound trouble with the autobiography prompt? If any previous applicants have comments on it I'd love to hear them. My problem is that what I would want to write about my life isn't something they would want to hear, and aside from that I don't even want to write about it.

I'd love to hear about this as well. This essay is giving me enormous trouble, more than any other secondary. I'm struggling to make it interesting and pertinent to medical school application. I feel I have some interesting things about my life, but they don't exactly fit into a clear path to medical school.

New strategy: send them a video of the story of your life told through interpretive dance

I didn't interview, so maybe I'm not the best for this, but I have had a lot of contact with Vanderbilt in the past and had a faculty member read my autobiography. It doesn't necessarily need to align with medical school. Sure, medicine should be included somewhere, but it shouldn't be like your personal statement. Just tell your life story

I'm having trouble fitting everything into 1200 words. It's so many, but yet not enough :/

I don't think you can say with any certainty what the admissions office is looking for you to write. I know I certainly can't.

My advice is to write as genuinely about your life experiences as possible and let the admissions officers do the rest. I suspect everyone's life is punctuated by major points which define who they are today. Capitalizing on those points and transitioning between them may help you structure the body of your essay.

Good luck!

Yes, I felt your pain. Poured your heart and soul into PS and on ECs, then asked to be self centered about a "biography". I did interview last year (with just average stats) but was waitlisted. For this biography, I really reflected more on my service work and volunteering. Brought up specific circumstances that were especially poignant. Really didn't focus on myself, but on my interactions with other patients and kids, and how their experiences made an impact on me. That made it a bit easier, and probably what got me the foot in the door. One of the only secondaries I really couldn't recycle from others, and was one of the hardest ones to complete. Take the time, it will be worth it. Good Luck

Still no secondary... perhaps rejection coming... :(

3.73/38 and no secondary. right there with you!

Definitely seems like it's a combined 3.8 and 37 for the automatic secondary. The rest they send out are probably screened by a human.

For those of y'all who have received secondaries, were all your letters of rec submitted? My MCAT score will be out Tuesday but letters won't be finalized for another week or so after that. Just wondering when I can expect to get this one

For those of y'all who have received secondaries, were all your letters of rec submitted? My MCAT score will be out Tuesday but letters won't be finalized for another week or so after that. Just wondering when I can expect to get this one
LOR's aren't involved in their screening process for determining who receives a secondary.

40 MCAT, 3.7 GPA got the secondary last night... fingers crossed that a solid MCAT is good for an interview

40 MCAT, 3.7 GPA got the secondary last night... fingers crossed that a solid MCAT is good for an interview
:laugh:
To me, a solid MCAT is a 32 or so. Nice and sturdy, not too flashy. A 40, on the other hand...

Reactions: 5 users