2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew from here today. Hope my spot goes to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

We're not bringing suits or anything, right? Earlier on this thread there was talk of business formal but the email that got sent said interview attire was not necessary.

I'm trying to figure out what to bring, and failing! :)

We're not bringing suits or anything, right? Earlier on this thread there was talk of business formal but the email that got sent said interview attire was not necessary.

OMG I have no idea. I was planning on wearing a suit to the faculty dinner... and then they said that... but I don't know what "business formal" is (as mentioned in the PDF schedule they sent out forever ago) if not interview attire.

For the day things i'm just wearing a black dress, pink cardigan, and a necklace. Either that or a pencil skirt and button up... So that seems straight forward enough....

*edit* Just realized you're a guy. My advice may not be as applicable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all will be going out Friday night as part of the SLW unofficial 'festivities' too so...:shifty:

Reactions: 1 user
For the day things i'm just wearing a black dress, pink cardigan, and a necklace. Either that or a pencil skirt and button up... So that seems straight forward enough....

*edit* Just realized you're a guy. My advice may not be as applicable.

Oh but I was going to wear a pencil skirt too! ;)

I'll probably bring a suit but a more colorful tie/shirt combo. If it's more casual you can opt to not have either the tie or the coat.

I'll probably bring a suit but a more colorful tie/shirt combo. If it's more casual you can opt to not have either the tie or the coat.

The admissions office said the Friday night dinner is just a little more formal than regular business casual. The woman I spoke to said that she didn't expect many people to be wearing suits.

The admissions office said the Friday night dinner is just a little more formal than regular business casual. The woman I spoke to said that she didn't expect many people to be wearing suits.
STILL VAGUE

Reactions: 4 users
Won't lie definitely hadn't thoroughly read their email yet. Who packs more than 30 minutes before they have to leave anyway?

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if what the financial aid package looks like if you weren't lucky enough to get one of the merit scholarships. I hope it's not all loans...
Yeah, same! I heard Vandy is pretty good with money so we will see what happens. Fingers crossed. Anyone know when the aid is supposed to come out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, same! I heard Vandy is pretty good with money so we will see what happens. Fingers crossed. Anyone know when the aid is supposed to come out?

From the FinAid website at https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/financial-services/faqs

"Incoming students’ awards will be mailed by April 1 to allow sufficient time to compare offers from other schools in order to make a final decision. Continuing students’ awards will be processed on a rolling basis thereafter. NEW for 2015-2016: A continuing student will receive an email with a link to view your online Award Notification."

Hope everyone has fun at SLW! I wasn't able to make it. Going to have to rely on emailing current students for some of these questions I have.

A huge favor for anyone going to second look...could you ask a current student how the pass/fail grading system in the clerkship year works? I wonder if it is just narrative feedback + reporting of shelf scores? It seems like a cool idea, but I'm wary because I know some schools that had P/F clinical grades (UCLA, Stanford if I recall correctly) are now moving away from them because the grades can be difficult for residencies PD's to interpret.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you get it in the mail? I thought the website said they start sending them today

Just got the letter in the mail today...total COA is approx 78K but I got only 14K in aid (with the rest being loans)
Does that seem about average/low/high to y'all here?

Withdrew yesterday. Loved the school but good luck to waitlisters I hope my spot goes to one of you!

Did anyone else receive their financial aid packages? Mine has yet to come in the mail.

Did anyone else receive their financial aid packages? Mine has yet to come in the mail.

I'm thinking it will come tomorrow. At any rate, it looks like it is in the mail.

Does anyone know if getting the 75% scholarship excludes the possibility of need-based aid?

Just got the letter in the mail today...total COA is approx 78K but I got only 14K in aid (with the rest being loans)
Does that seem about average/low/high to y'all here?

Since it's need-based, it is hard to say what scholarship is like. For reference - I've received info from a couple of schools and scholarships there ranged from 25K to 30K. Total income from myself + parents is about 50K.

Got my financial aid award in the mail today. It doesn't look like we need to take any action on it - is this correct?

Got my financial aid award in the mail today. It doesn't look like we need to take any action on it - is this correct?

Not immediately I don't think. However, if you have federal loans included there are instructions enclosed on how to proceed, assuming you decide to go to Vandy. You also can email the office if you want to reduce or adjust any loans you are awarded towards COA.

Not immediately I don't think. However, if you have federal loans included there are instructions enclosed on how to proceed, assuming you decide to go to Vandy. You also can email the office if you want to reduce or adjust any loans you are awarded towards COA.
ya but the federal loans proceeding stuff can be done later too?

ya but the federal loans proceeding stuff can be done later too?

Yeah, I believe so. I'm not sure of an actual deadline, but I figure you have at the absolute least until May. It says you can decline funds up until 2 weeks before loans are distributed which is 7/22.

Withdrew today - hopefully someone here on the WL gets a spot!! I loved the school, I just realized I wouldn't go there over other options.

So for those who went to 2nd look...was it awesome?! For anyone who was on the fence about Vandy: did it clear up any concerns you may have had? I'm trying to decide between Vandy and another school and the fact that I had to miss 2nd look is making this even harder...

So for those who went to 2nd look...was it awesome?! For anyone who was on the fence about Vandy: did it clear up any concerns you may have had? I'm trying to decide between Vandy and another school and the fact that I had to miss 2nd look is making this even harder...
SLW was great! I was unfortunately sick the whole time so I didn't get to go out on the town, but I really enjoyed all of my conversations with everyone and the current students were great! The amount of curricular flexibility is also amazing. And the food was great! I'm still 100 percent torn about my ultimate decision though. :)

SLW was great. If you have any specific questions I can try and help you out.

Any questions? Particularly about the clinical years?
@manofmen had some that I was really bad at answering!

Mostly, what is the ungraded/pf clinical rotations like? Are you more stressed out by compressing basic science and normal clinical rotations into 2 years? how does wellness factor into the curriculum... and I might be missing stuff...

How do you feel about the clinical training as a whole? What level of responsibility for patients do you have as a med student? Do you feel like attendings are accessible and excited to teach, or do you mostly interact with residents only?

On a "cultural note" how does the patient/local population view the medical school/medical students? Are patients generally receptive to working with med students?

Thanks!!!

How is funding/support for outside activities: conferences, global health groups? How supportive are advising (both formal/informal) and breadth of different opportunities with regards to choosing a specialty? Is there anything you'd change about the curriculum, administration, etc?

Thank you!

@manofmen had some that I was really bad at answering!

Mostly, what is the ungraded/pf clinical rotations like? Are you more stressed out by compressing basic science and normal clinical rotations into 2 years? how does wellness factor into the curriculum... and I might be missing stuff...

- My curriculum was the 1.5 preclinical year intermediate. I did not feel it was more stressed out than the years above me. However I do think the curriculum 2.0 students have a higher workload and have less time for student organizations and such.
- Wellness is incorporated through multiple avenues. Events such as college cup, student art night where they supply wine and painting supplies, nights out at different venues/museums/sporting events etc. There are running scores throughout different parts of the year where you log your exercise and the top few people get gift cards etc. The colleges and student/faculty mentors are another great part that I have taken advantage of.

How do you feel about the clinical training as a whole? What level of responsibility for patients do you have as a med student? Do you feel like attendings are accessible and excited to teach, or do you mostly interact with residents only?

On a "cultural note" how does the patient/local population view the medical school/medical students? Are patients generally receptive to working with med students?

Thanks!!!
- how much responsibility given will depend on your personal comfort, your superiors (intern/resident/attending) at the time, and what service you are on
- in general you will have less responsibility on obgyn and surgery, perhaps less than if you are at public or county hospitals. Notably, you can opt do part of your surgery rotation at St Thomas, a local private hospital

- patients are generally receptive to working with medical students. If you are the VA (which is actually physically adjacent on campus--it's fantastic) they will most likely call you doc.

How is funding/support for outside activities: conferences, global health groups? How supportive are advising (both formal/informal) and breadth of different opportunities with regards to choosing a specialty? Is there anything you'd change about the curriculum, administration, etc?

Thank you!

- as it stands currently there is a decent amount of guaranteed funding. For my class you get up to $750 for research/travel conference. Additionally, your mentor/PI receives $3000 to support your research endeavors. There are additional funding opportunities besides those guaranteed above through the office of diversity/office of global health/etc.

- there is a plethora of advising, to the point where you don't want anymore

- My curriculum was the 1.5 preclinical year intermediate. I did not feel it was more stressed out than the years above me. However I do think the curriculum 2.0 students have a higher workload and have less time for student organizations and such.
- Wellness is incorporated through multiple avenues. Events such as college cup, student art night where they supply wine and painting supplies, nights out at different venues/museums/sporting events etc. There are running scores throughout different parts of the year where you log your exercise and the top few people get gift cards etc. The colleges and student/faculty mentors are another great part that I have taken advantage of.

- how much responsibility given will depend on your personal comfort, your superiors (intern/resident/attending) at the time, and what service you are on
- in general you will have less responsibility on obgyn and surgery, perhaps less than if you are at public or county hospitals. Notably, you can opt do part of your surgery rotation at St Thomas, a local private hospital

- patients are generally receptive to working with medical students. If you are the VA (which is actually physically adjacent on campus--it's fantastic) they will most likely call you doc.

- as it stands currently there is a decent amount of guaranteed funding. For my class you get up to $750 for research/travel conference. Additionally, your mentor/PI receives $3000 to support your research endeavors. There are additional funding opportunities besides those guaranteed above through the office of diversity/office of global health/etc.

- there is a plethora of advising, to the point where you don't want anymore

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Definitely my favorite school, but had to make the difficult decision to withdraw today. The financial aid just wasn't there. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Got a call from Dr. Churchwell yesterday around noon (pacific time)!
Glad to say I'll be joining the class of 2019 :)

Is there anything we should be doing right now? Aside from housing, I know we have to submit our immunization/titers by May 15th

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone managed to turn in the immunization record yet? It's due on May 15th, but the portal to turn it in requires a VuNet ID that we don't get until June 1st?

Has anyone managed to turn in the immunization record yet? It's due on May 15th, but the portal to turn it in requires a VuNet ID that we don't get until June 1st?

we just have to mail/fax it in

"Note: Instructions for submitting the immunization form may be found on page five of the form itself. Because admitted students are not assigned VUnetIDs until after the May 15 deadline, you must either fax (615.343.0047) or mail the form to:

Vanderbilt Student Health Center
Zerfoss Bldg.
Sta. 17
F3200
Nashville, TN 37232-8710"

Did anyone else just get a call asking if they still want to be on the waitlist? I was kind of dumbfounded and didn't know what to say and now after the fact I suspect maybe it was an acceptance call? ??
Anyway, pretty set in Feinberg but I am just curious. I turned down the spot if it were ever offered.