2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For logging into the secondary, does anyone remember if the username field is 1) AMCAS ID, 2) email, 3) a login we created, or 4) something else?

I've reset my password successfully and attempted to login using 1-3, but I keep getting an invalid username/password and I'm wondering if the username is something wonky I forgot to write down >.<. Thanks!

The login is an email address that includes the domain name (ie @something.com)

Members don't see this ad.

The login is an email address that includes the domain name (ie @something.com)
Thanks! Was anything capitalized/have you been able to login? I just tried again and it says I reset my password but I can't login.

I was able to login. Idk if the login is case sensitive. Maybe you have too many attempts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to login. Idk if the login is case sensitive. Maybe you have too many attempts?
Hm that's possible! I'm still wondering if I accidentally put a typo when creating my username or something of the sort. I'll try again later tonight and if it still doesn't work I'll email technical support. Thank you!

Hm that's possible! I'm still wondering if I accidentally put a typo when creating my username or something of the sort. I'll try again later tonight and if it still doesn't work I'll email technical support. Thank you!

I didn't create my username, they just used my email address. Check to see if you're putting in the right one?

I didn't create my username, they just used my email address. Check to see if you're putting in the right one?
I've double and triple checked that there are no typos in my email/password (according to the multiple password resets I've done!). I sent an email to technical support on Saturday night so hopefully he gets back to me soon.

I've been sitting on this secondary for a week now. The autobiography prompt is impossible.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow, the next time I see a "describe a humbling experience" prompt, I should write about the time I saw your guys' stats. I thought my stats were decent, but dang.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I emailed tech support saturday and I still haven't heard back (and I'm still unable to login :/). Should I send another email?

Does anyone know if the 3 LOR limit is a maximum?

From website:
A letter of recommendation should be sent from your Premedical Committee or individual Premedical Adviser. If your university does not have this committee, send three letters of recommendation: two from science faculty who have taught you and the third letter from another person of your choice. Letter packets are also accepted.

this is so weird that applicants with higher scores just got secondaries while everyone else is being holistically reviewed. I wonder if it puts those who are being holistically reviewed at a disadvantage. thoughts? Also, does anyone know how the holistic review takes vanderbilt?

this is so weird that applicants with higher scores just got secondaries while everyone else is being holistically reviewed. I wonder if it puts those who are being holistically reviewed at a disadvantage. thoughts? Also, does anyone know how the holistic review takes vanderbilt?
Likely it's bc those with higher MCAT scores are automatically thought to handle their curriculum better, considering they just made basic sciences into 1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Likely it's bc those with higher MCAT scores are automatically thought to handle their curriculum better, considering they just made basic sciences into 1 year.

makes sense, i was think it's something like that. it's a bit disconcerting that they think that way, but it is what it is.

makes sense, i was think it's something like that. it's a bit disconcerting that they think that way, but it is what it is.
Yes, I agree, it's sad, but it's more a hedging of bets. When you change a curriculum, there is always going to be some initial fallout. You decrease your chances of fallout by taking people who not only have high GPAs but also have high standardized test scores. As much as medical schools talk about "holistic" review, GPA and MCAT will usually trump it every time.

Basic sciences is usually ok at 1.5 years tops. At 1 year, you're cutting it too fast, IMHO.

Yes, I agree, it's sad, but it's more a hedging of bets. When you change a curriculum, there is always going to be some initial fallout. You decrease your chances of fallout by taking people who not only have high GPAs but also have high standardized test scores. As much as medical schools talk about "holistic" review, GPA and MCAT will usually trump it every time.

Basic sciences is usually ok at 1.5 years tops. At 1 year, you're cutting it too fast, IMHO.

You have a really good mindset. I've also noticed that trend about the talk of holistic review but really having it go back to gpa and mcat scores. Do you think current MCAT score cutoffs at MD schools are accurate indicators of whether or not one can succeed in such a condensed curriculum or even medical school in general? It seems like the mcat numbers required at schools are often times so high that med schools lose sight of the bigger picture. A few years ago 28 was the avg mcat score accepted MD Applicants. Have those applicants turned out to be "less successful and poorer-performing doctors" due to their score? I understand selecting for the best standardized test takers because standardized test taking is a HUGE part of medicine, indisputably. Of course, medical schools want the best possible students as they're invested in the process (each student is an investment). Though I have to ask if the mcat score cutoffs are actually meaningful or just a number inflated by competition that have become less meaningful due to that. LizzyM once said that you could reasonably succeed in medical school with a 21 mcat or above. Cutting off applicants by lower mcat scores alone or putting them at a disadvantage also begs the question "are they prepared to skimp on non-traditional applicants with unique life experiences and also are they making reasonable tradeoffs?" I'm not trying to create an artificial dichotomy between scores and life experiences, but applicants who have faced adversity or had unique experiences (surviving a deleterious condition) may not always have the best standardized test scores, but the perspective they may bring to the medical field is unique. Medicine challenges everyone on every level and those with challenging life circumstances, certainly have added insight in some ases. I'm not saying that this whole process should be viewed through rose-tinted glasses, but rather there should be more analysis and reasoning involved. Also if you're going to do a holistic review why skimp on holistically reviewing those with higher mcat scores?

As for the 1 year business, I had some thoughts about the matter, as I was reminded of your post about how you're left on your own with the radical changes between the first and second years of medical school. Is it better to be thrown out on your own sooner and get early exposure to that? That way you have more time to develop the necessary skills to be successful. 1 year may be harsh, but i'm all for finding ways to ease the transition (though this arguably can make it harsher as well).

You have a really good mindset. I've also noticed that trend about the talk of holistic review but really having it go back to gpa and mcat scores. Do you think current MCAT score cutoffs at MD schools are accurate indicators of whether or not one can succeed in such a condensed curriculum or even medical school in general? It seems like the mcat numbers required at schools are often times so high that med schools lose sight of the bigger picture. A few years ago 28 was the avg mcat score accepted MD Applicants. Have those applicants turned out to be "less successful and poorer-performing doctors" due to their score? I understand selecting for the best standardized test takers because standardized test taking is a HUGE part of medicine, indisputably. Of course, medical schools want the best possible students as they're invested in the process (each student is an investment). Though I have to ask if the mcat score cutoffs are actually meaningful or just a number inflated by competition that have become less meaningful due to that. LizzyM once said that you could reasonably succeed in medical school with a 21 mcat or above. Cutting off applicants by lower mcat scores alone or putting them at a disadvantage also begs the question "are they prepared to skimp on non-traditional applicants with unique life experiences and also are they making reasonable tradeoffs?" I'm not trying to create an artificial dichotomy between scores and life experiences, but applicants who have faced adversity or had unique experiences (surviving a deleterious condition) may not always have the best standardized test scores, but the perspective they may bring to the medical field is unique. Medicine challenges everyone on every level and those with challenging life circumstances, certainly have added insight in some ases. I'm not saying that this whole process should be viewed through rose-tinted glasses, but rather there should be more analysis and reasoning involved. Also if you're going to do a holistic review why skimp on holistically reviewing those with higher mcat scores?

As for the 1 year business, I had some thoughts about the matter, as I was reminded of your post about how you're left on your own with the radical changes between the first and second years of medical school. Is it better to be thrown out on your own sooner and get early exposure to that? That way you have more time to develop the necessary skills to be successful. 1 year may be harsh, but i'm all for finding ways to ease the transition (though this arguably can make it harsher as well).
No, I really don't think it is indicative as far as succeeding in medical school. Why? Bc medical school is so much more than standardized test-taking. MCAT scores have been moderately correlated with Step 1 score, but medicine and residency apps are so much more than a USMLE Step 1 score. One metric isn't all-encompassing, and it was never meant to be. Understand also that those with higher MCAT/GPA averages are also ones more likely to get into selective schools and are more likely to go for so-called "competitive", and more prestigious specialties. That makes a school look very good which then is looked at by applicants. It's a vicious cycle.

The point is that medical school has become a seller's market. Hence medical schools can now demand much more of their applicants than they used to. All medical schools participate in some form of so-called "holistic review" the real question is how much it changes the result. That is something you can't really know as an applicant. I do agree with you, that those with high MCATs should also be holistically reviewed, but my guess is they put out secondaries to them, to try to capture them early on in the process, after which once they get their secondary in and interview, then they can review their entire app holistically, and see whether to offer them admission.

Personally, I prefer to where I'm not asked to navigate a new curriculum, that others haven't done before you (as you'll be asking them for advice a lot). I think Vanderbilt's curriculum was lecture based, and with this 1 year curriculum it's PBL based (yuck). Early exposure can really only help so much. Having a good foundation is key before you head out into MS-3 clerkships in which you graded and evaluated on your medical knowledge, clinical judgement, etc. Whether that can be accomplished with basic sciences being compressed to 1 year, varies for different people. Basic sciences, IMHO, is hard enough as it is with 1.5 to 2 years at other places.

I still need to crank this (as well as Duke's) secondary out soon :(.

Yeah, I've sat on this one for a while... along with UChicago and NYU. :oops: So much for "pre-writing all the secondaries before the cycle starts."

Hopefully I can refine/edit it tonight and send it out soon. Thanks to being only $50, I can actually send out this secondary without having to wait for payday!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I've sat on this one for a while... along with UChicago and NYU. :oops: So much for "pre-writing all the secondaries before the cycle starts."

Hopefully I can refine/edit it tonight and send it out soon. Thanks to being only $50, I can actually send out this secondary without having to wait for payday!

^it's like you read my mind.

Anyone know when Vandy usually sends its first IIs?

Last edited:
Wishing everyone good luck from Vanderbilt Avenue!
image.jpg

So I thought these were interesting:

"Assessing student mental health at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine."
http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...=2011&issue=01000&article=00034&type=abstract (You can click and download the PDF)

---First I thought the racial demographics were quite different, which although it is a Southern medical school, the fact that it's a nationally known school I would think negate that. Also most people who attend are the traditional pre-med.

---"Depression testing in our study demonstrated that nearly 25% of Vanderbilt’s medical student population were at least mildly depressed."

---"Our data show that approximately 20% of men and 40% of women had clinically significant state anxiety and that 20% to 25% of men and 40% to 46% of women had clinically significant trait anxiety;"

I wonder if this is bc of the students that Vanderbilt is actually recruiting: i.e. more Type A, more driven, more likely to work hard to go for prestigious specialties or the actual medical school curriculum at Vanderbilt. One of the authors is an associate dean for Student Affairs at Vanderbilt who himself is a Psychiatrist, so I'd say it takes a lot of guts to put a paper out there on the students in your own school.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...ore-like-hogwarts/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 ---- essentially a fluff piece on Vanderbilt's college system from 2011.

a) Vanderbilt isn't the only medical school with this "college" or "societies" system to build comradery, faculty mentoring, yada yada as there are others.

b) One of the NY Times article's comments jumped out at me (which was from April 2014):

"Despite the accolades of this blog posting, there are students at Vandy that don't match and have to sit out a year or two. The curriculum changed mere months after this blog article was published to a more accelerated curriculum with less emphasis on extracurriculars and time to learn the material. Additionally, there have been reports of mistreatment of black students (one didn't match this year as well as numerous dismissals leading to a 50% success rate for black male students). Hence why there were almost no black students in the 2017 class (look at white coat ceromony video on website). Also, the medical center is being sued by the federal government for massive medicare fraud in a originally sealed case that was filed before this article was published. The School relies on deceptive tactics and is nowhere as great as the article makes it out to be."

I can see his point as the basic science curriculum is now down to only 1 year total (as if it isn't hard enough in 2 years), even though it is a "true" P/F system, although how much you can actually learn and retain both for Step 1 and for clerkships is debatable. Wondering how well the new curriculum has been received by students.

Last edited:

So at 1:10, the medical student, who has now graduated, William Sullivan (now a Med-Peds resident), says how "great" the curriculum is and how education "experts" have said "it's the way to go" and how it was "easy for him to buy into the new system". The thing is he graduated in 2013, before Curriculum 2.0 even happened. How does he know it's this great curriculum for medical students? I thought it was funny he was sitting in a lecture hall, reading First Aid, a review book, which is like the antithesis of their so-called great curriculum.

But then when you see here: http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2013/05/founders-medalists/
you see that he is a "curriculum committee co-chair, he helped plan Vanderbilt’s new medical school curriculum."

So it looks like this curriculum change for medical students, is his pet project to "innovate" medical education.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 3 LOR limit is a maximum?
From website:
A letter of recommendation should be sent from your Premedical Committee or individual Premedical Adviser. If your university does not have this committee, send three letters of recommendation: two from science faculty who have taught you and the third letter from another person of your choice. Letter packets are also accepted.

I think so. I listed 4 though on my AMCAS app. Here's to hoping it's not a big deal.

Finally got this secondary out the door. Whew. Not expecting much from Vandy, but here's to being hopeful.

Now onto the UChicago essay that is nearing its two week mark... :yeahright:

Received a secondary earlier today. I was so happy, but I was holding off completely pre-writing this beast on the chance I didn't need to submit it. Talk about bitter sweet. I'll take it though!
Congrats on the secondary! Do you mind sharing your stats?

For the autobiography, do you think it is necessary to talk about AMCAS experiences? For example, on my AMCAS, I designated a research experience as most meaningful. Would I have to talk about that in the autobiography prompt? Any opinions?

For the autobiography, do you think it is necessary to talk about AMCAS experiences? For example, on my AMCAS, I designated a research experience as most meaningful. Would I have to talk about that in the autobiography prompt? Any opinions?

It depends, I included 3-4 major AMCAS experiences that either taught me something valuable or reaffirmed my desire to do something. I wouldn't include a discussion of serving food at a homeless shelter (unless this was a transformative experience for you!), but I would include experiences that shaped your desires as a future physician or taught you something important about yourself.

I'm tackling this prompt as if I had to pick a single experience or life lesson I learned from X year(s), what would they be and why? E.g. I had an amazing research experience that really solidified my desire to become a physician scientist in the field of X because it was fun, rewarding, intellectually stimulating, and it has the potential to reduce the suffering of others. I think examples like that are a major aspect of your life until this point and should be included!

The autobiography is not only your college years. When I applied I personally wrote half of it on what I have experienced in high school or before (key moments or thoughts that have led me towards the medical path, or just science in general if you weren't directly interested in medicine back then). The rest can be a summary of the values and experiences you have had in college. The autobiography should be something in addition to your regular application, so try not to repeat stuff already in your AMCAS experiences if possible.

So I thought these were interesting:

"Assessing student mental health at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine."
http://journals.lww.com/academicmed...=2011&issue=01000&article=00034&type=abstract (You can click and download the PDF)

---First I thought the racial demographics were quite different, which although it is a Southern medical school, the fact that it's a nationally known school I would think negate that. Also most people who attend are the traditional pre-med.

---"Depression testing in our study demonstrated that nearly 25% of Vanderbilt’s medical student population were at least mildly depressed."

---"Our data show that approximately 20% of men and 40% of women had clinically significant state anxiety and that 20% to 25% of men and 40% to 46% of women had clinically significant trait anxiety;"

I wonder if this is bc of the students that Vanderbilt is actually recruiting: i.e. more Type A, more driven, more likely to work hard to go for prestigious specialties or the actual medical school curriculum at Vanderbilt. One of the authors is an associate dean for Student Affairs at Vanderbilt who himself is a Psychiatrist, so I'd say it takes a lot of guts to put a paper out there on the students in your own school.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...ore-like-hogwarts/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 ---- essentially a fluff piece on Vanderbilt's college system from 2011.

a) Vanderbilt isn't the only medical school with this "college" or "societies" system to build comradery, faculty mentoring, yada yada as there are others.

b) One of the NY Times article's comments jumped out at me (which was from April 2014):

"Despite the accolades of this blog posting, there are students at Vandy that don't match and have to sit out a year or two. The curriculum changed mere months after this blog article was published to a more accelerated curriculum with less emphasis on extracurriculars and time to learn the material. Additionally, there have been reports of mistreatment of black students (one didn't match this year as well as numerous dismissals leading to a 50% success rate for black male students). Hence why there were almost no black students in the 2017 class (look at white coat ceromony video on website). Also, the medical center is being sued by the federal government for massive medicare fraud in a originally sealed case that was filed before this article was published. The School relies on deceptive tactics and is nowhere as great as the article makes it out to be."

I can see his point as the basic science curriculum is now down to only 1 year total (as if it isn't hard enough in 2 years), even though it is a "true" P/F system, although how much you can actually learn and retain both for Step 1 and for clerkships is debatable. Wondering how well the new curriculum has been received by students.

thanks for the insight and critical examination it makes a lot of sense. i especially had a good chuckle about the guy promoting the new curriculum, who graduated before it was even implemented.:laugh: I wonder what their holistic review actually looks like.

Last edited:
thanks for the insight and critical examination it makes a lot of sense. i especially had a good chuckle about the guy promoting the new curriculum, who graduated before it was even implemented.:laugh: I wonder what their holistic review actually looks like.
You will meet many self-serving medical students who will say how great something is without actually having experienced something themselves. You'll realize in medical school the theory of how things are supposed to work and the reality of how it actually works can be very different.

Doing all of basic sciences in 1 year (even if P/F) is not a joke, esp. in being able to retain it for Step 1. The only other school in the United States that does this is Duke. All the rest either do basic sciences in 1.5 or 2 years. I think Vanderbilt knows this, so they're grabbing all the 4.0 GPA/40+ MCAT applicants first bc they feel that even with the deficiencies, the 4.0 GPA/40+ applicants will be smart enough to excel and thus make their school look good anyways.

You will meet many self-serving medical students who will say how great something is without actually having experienced something themselves. You'll realize in medical school the theory of how things are supposed to work and the reality of how it actually works can be very different.

Doing all of basic sciences in 1 year (even if P/F) is not a joke, esp. in being able to retain it for Step 1. The only other school in the United States that does this is Duke. All the rest either do basic sciences in 1.5 or 2 years. I think Vanderbilt knows this, so they're grabbing all the 4.0 GPA/40+ MCAT applicants first bc they feel that even with the deficiencies, the 4.0 GPA/40+ applicants will be smart enough to excel and thus make their school look good anyways.
Harvard is switching to a 1-year preclinical as well.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

Harvard is switching to a 1-year preclinical as well.

Must be still in the works, bc as of now, it isn't: http://ecommons.med.harvard.edu/ec_vqp.asp?Name_GUID={7D63742B-05F7-4F58-8441-46C8C0BF6A2A}

Year I
IN555.0 Introduction to the Profession
IN751.0 The Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine
IN753.0 The Human Body
IN755.0 Human Genetics
IN759M.J Patient-Doctor I
SM750.0 Introduction to Social Medicine and Global Health
AC511.0 Clinical Epidemiology and Population Health
HC750.0 Introduction to Health Care Policy
SIM 501 Scholarship in Medicine (SIM)*
PIC 503 Physician in Community (PIC)*
IN752.0 Integrated Human Physiology
IN754.0 Immunology, Microbiology & Pathology
MA701.0 Medical Ethics and Professionalism

Year II
IN757.0 Human Systems
IN731.0 Human Development
PS700M.J Psychopathology & Introduction to Clinical Psychiatry
IN761.M Patient-Doctor II

Principal Clinical Experience (PCE) Course Requirements
Year III
Medicine I (12 weeks)
Surgery (12 weeks)
Obstetrics and Gynecology (6 weeks)
Pediatrics (6 weeks)
Neurology (4 weeks)
Psychiatry (4 weeks)
Radiology (4 weeks)
Patient-Doctor III (longitudinal)
Primary Care Clerkship (longitudinal)
Principal Clinical Experience course (longitudinal)

Must be still in the works, bc as of now, it isn't: http://ecommons.med.harvard.edu/ec_vqp.asp?Name_GUID={7D63742B-05F7-4F58-8441-46C8C0BF6A2A}

Year I
IN555.0 Introduction to the Profession
IN751.0 The Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine
IN753.0 The Human Body
IN755.0 Human Genetics
IN759M.J Patient-Doctor I
SM750.0 Introduction to Social Medicine and Global Health
AC511.0 Clinical Epidemiology and Population Health
HC750.0 Introduction to Health Care Policy
SIM 501 Scholarship in Medicine (SIM)*
PIC 503 Physician in Community (PIC)*
IN752.0 Integrated Human Physiology
IN754.0 Immunology, Microbiology & Pathology
MA701.0 Medical Ethics and Professionalism

Year II
IN757.0 Human Systems
IN731.0 Human Development
PS700M.J Psychopathology & Introduction to Clinical Psychiatry
IN761.M Patient-Doctor II

Principal Clinical Experience (PCE) Course Requirements
Year III
Medicine I (12 weeks)
Surgery (12 weeks)
Obstetrics and Gynecology (6 weeks)
Pediatrics (6 weeks)
Neurology (4 weeks)
Psychiatry (4 weeks)
Radiology (4 weeks)
Patient-Doctor III (longitudinal)
Primary Care Clerkship (longitudinal)
Principal Clinical Experience course (longitudinal)
Yeah it's been discussed in the Harvard thread.

So....

No character limits on any of those secondary essays? Wowza.

And this is word limit vs the character limit that AMCAs espouses.

Thanks!

And this is word limit vs the character limit that AMCAs espouses.

Thanks!

Correct, it is a word limit. Quite a long one for the autobiography, which somehow makes me even more nervous to write that one!

Um... "Applicants must present evidence of having satisfactorily completed the minimum requirements listed below by the end of the fall semester in the year in which they apply to medical school." So I only took 1 upper level english course. I assume now I have to take an English course at the local community college in August?

source: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-admissions/admission-requirements

EDIT: *sigh* "Vanderbilt requires 6 semester hours of English, composition, or writing. We will accept writing intensive courses from other disciplines for this requirement." Thank God for all the chemistry courses!

Do we need to notify Vanderbilt which courses were writing intensive? Is this asked on the secondary?

source: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-admissions/frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:
Um... "Applicants must present evidence of having satisfactorily completed the minimum requirements listed below by the end of the fall semester in the year in which they apply to medical school." So I only took 1 upper level english course. I assume now I have to take an English course at the local community college in August?

source: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-admissions/admission-requirements

EDIT: *sigh* "Vanderbilt requires 6 semester hours of English, composition, or writing. We will accept writing intensive courses from other disciplines for this requirement." Thank God for all the chemistry courses!

Do we need to notify Vanderbilt which courses were writing intensive? Is this asked on the secondary?

source: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/md-admissions/frequently-asked-questions
The secondary provides a space to explain which class you are substituting for the English requirement

The secondary provides a space to explain which class you are substituting for the English requirement

Can you use a class to satisfy multiple requirements (eg upperlevel chem course qualifies for the chemistry and the english requirement)?

Can you use a class to satisfy multiple requirements (eg upperlevel chem course qualifies for the chemistry and the english requirement)?
Hmm not sure about that specifically, but (just my opinion) I think it'd be hard to convince them your chemistry course would satisfy an English requirement... Only because I think they want to make sure you're taking some non science course. do you have a history or philosophy class? That would be way easier to convince them

Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a Chemistry class to fulfill the English requirement. This is directly from the secondary:

In addition, you may be granted credit for our English requirement by completing non-science courses with a significant writing component.