You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm assuming you meant secondary submitted on the 20th? II=Interview Invite. And yes; a batch was sent out on the 4th with Mondays and Fridays open from September through November.II submitted July 20th. How awesome would medical school in Nashville be. Any word on interviews?
I'm assuming you meant secondary submitted on the 20th? II=Interview Invite. And yes; a batch was sent out on the 4th with Mondays and Fridays open from September through November.
Haha well we should we change that so it doesn't look like roman numerals. But thanks (actually submitted the 26th just checked)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was he/she a URM?friend received secondary with 30-33 MCAT about 2 weeks ago.
they've never been on SDN before so don't only use this forum to determine who is getting secondaries!
Nope!Was he/she a URM?
II submitted July 20th. How awesome would medical school in Nashville be. Any word on interviews?
A bunch of interviews posted back one page. There is also a search bar up top to the right where you can select to only search in this tread for "II".
Come on second round of II's this Monday!
Nothing here.
To those still without a secondary, don't worry! Just got one today 🙂
To those still without a secondary, don't worry! Just got one today 🙂
When did they e-mail you the "application received" status?
When did they e-mail you the "application received" status?
They received my application on July 1. So I've been waiting a long time...
Same received & verified 7/1 still no secondary... (33mcat composite by the way they calculate) 3.9
What's the word limit on each secondary question?
Same received & verified 7/1 still no secondary... (33mcat composite by the way they calculate) 3.9
Same stats, no secondary here either.
has anyone who hasn't received their II's emailed them?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm kind of late to the party. Like not even fashionably late. I received my secondary in the first week of July (3.9+/37) and I'm planning on submitting later today or tomorrow, over 5 weeks later. Aside from the subjective impression that I must not have prioritized this school (but I do! I've just been busy with work), is turnover time an actual selection factor?
I appreciate the support guys! And/or any tough love...
I appreciate the support guys! And/or any tough love...
So I'm kind of late to the party. Like not even fashionably late. I received my secondary in the first week of July (3.9+/37) and I'm planning on submitting later today or tomorrow, over 5 weeks later. Aside from the subjective impression that I must not have prioritized this school (but I do! I've just been busy with work), is turnover time an actual selection factor?
I appreciate the support guys! And/or any tough love...
The mind games we play with ourselves about how every move we make is going to reflect on our application are crazy. I don't think anyone knows exactly how the reviewers and adcom go through their routines. Obviously it's good to submit earlier to avoid getting caught in the giant pile of files that starts to stack up, but I don't see them going: Ha! I caught you taking too long on your secondary, no love for you. Anyways, best of luck!
Last edited:
has anyone who hasn't received their II's emailed them?
II is interview invite, so no one in their right mind would email demanding to know why they haven't gotten an interview 😛.
II just now! 🙂
Congrats! Mind sharing when you were complete? You can PM me if you don't want to post the exact date.II just now! 🙂
I submitted my secondary on 7/18, but they didn't get my letters until 7/21.Congrats! Mind sharing when you were complete? You can PM me if you don't want to post the exact date.
II... holy cow. I'm comin' for ya, Nashville. Glad my autobiography wasn't all for naught.
I was complete around 7/16, so I thought I had been passed over due to the first II batch. Guess Vanderbilt goes back through their apps! Good luck to all you folks waiting.
I submitted my secondary on 7/18, but they didn't get my letters until 7/21.
It's been a good day for you, @mjhhockey98! Congrats on Chicago as well!
Thanks! It really has 🙂
For everyone who already did the secondary, how did you approach the autobiography exactly? Did you pick a few big events throughout your life and discuss how you handled them/they affected you? How much did you talk about stuff that was already in your primary?
For everyone who already did the secondary, how did you approach the autobiography exactly? Did you pick a few big events throughout your life and discuss how you handled them/they affected you? How much did you talk about stuff that was already in your primary?
I don't think there is a single "correct" way to do it. I focused on events not covered in my primary. I talked a little bit more about my childhood/formative events that got me interested in science/medicine. I did discuss my college career and touched on my "most meaningful experiences," but I didn't go that deep into them because there are covered in my AMCAS. I also included a paragraph on what I have been doing since graduating. Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For everyone who already did the secondary, how did you approach the autobiography exactly? Did you pick a few big events throughout your life and discuss how you handled them/they affected you? How much did you talk about stuff that was already in your primary?
This was the easiest essay to write for me. You know when you are sitting around a group of friends and you get so passionate about a topic that you cut your mate off to tell your story and the reason why you shared it? That's what you write about. What defines you? What events and experiences are you a product of? Don't overcomplicate your answer and it doesn't have tosay why medicine. Describe your character. Good luck!
Hopefully Vandy will kindly love me back too. Having lived in a city of which the hallmark being stressful and lacking interpersonal consideration, I would so love to find some peace in Nashville. Pleeeeeeeessseeee!!!!
@hellanutella Congrats, once again!
@hellanutella Congrats, once again!
Would you mind sharing your completed dates? thanks so much!II today. For those of you with less than spectacular stats, there's definitely a chance as long as you stay hopeful! My stats were posted before. Hope to see some of you there!
Does Vanderbilt require LOR's before handing out a secondary?
Would you mind sharing your completed dates? thanks so much!
I completed my secondary on July 20, however, my LORs were not added till July 25, so I was complete around then!
Does Vanderbilt require LOR's before handing out a secondary?
No I did not have my LORs in prior to receiving a secondary!
Congratulations to all the II's and recent secondary invites!!! Still anxiously waiting for a secondary
and I basically wrote an autobiography for Duke so I'm all ready for Vandy 
OOS, 36 MCAT, mid-3.8 cGPA and an upcoming graduate degree.
This school is of course one of the best, and for me it is close to family and sorta kinda reminds me of Hogwarts 😉
Hoping Vandy considers me for a secondary soon!
to all those waiting like me
and I basically wrote an autobiography for Duke so I'm all ready for Vandy OOS, 36 MCAT, mid-3.8 cGPA and an upcoming graduate degree.
This school is of course one of the best, and for me it is close to family and sorta kinda reminds me of Hogwarts 😉
Hoping Vandy considers me for a secondary soon!
to all those waiting like meThis is definitely the best approach to take.This was the easiest essay to write for me. You know when you are sitting around a group of friends and you get so passionate about a topic that you cut your mate off to tell your story and the reason why you shared it? That's what you write about. What defines you? What events and experiences are you a product of? Don't overcomplicate your answer and it doesn't have tosay why medicine. Describe your character. Good luck!
If you're like most applicants, you've already talked about why you're interested in medicine in your personal statement. Use this essay as an opportunity to really discuss who you are and shed light on your character in ways that your other essays or activity descriptions might not reveal.
Anyone else having problems with the payment submission system?
Yes... They haven't even given me a secondary yet which has made it quite hard to pay them. Hopefully they will quickly rectify this glitch.Anyone else having problems with the payment submission system?
But really, sorry. Can't be of help, but I wish you the best of luck!
Update -- it worked this morning! Just an fyi
I received an email from Vanderbilt encouraging me to apply. I've received similar letters from DO schools and podiatry schools, but this is the first one from an MD school, and a prestigious one at that. Vanderbilt was the last school I cut from my primary application list with the sole reason being that I'm out west and I was trying to cut down on long, more expensive flights. So does the email actually mean they have interest or is it more of a spam email meant to drum up more secondary application fees? My MCAT and GPA are both slightly above the average for last year's incoming class, according to their website. Would sending my primary application over there this late put me at too big of a disadvantage anyway?
I received an email from Vanderbilt encouraging me to apply. I've received similar letters from DO schools and podiatry schools, but this is the first one from an MD school, and a prestigious one at that. Vanderbilt was the last school I cut from my primary application list with the sole reason being that I'm out west and I was trying to cut down on long, more expensive flights. So does the email actually mean they have interest or is it more of a spam email meant to drum up more secondary application fees? My MCAT and GPA are both slightly above the average for last year's incoming class, according to their website. Would sending my primary application over there this late put me at too big of a disadvantage anyway?
I'm not sure whether the emails actually hint at interest from the school (I'd have to say no TBH), but their secondary is a reasonable $50. If you're willing to part with $86 then definitely send them an application. Disadvantage for applying late or not, it can't hurt right?... especially if you've already applied to UCSD since they both use the autobiography prompt. Not sure if you applied to UCSD or not but you said you were out west 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know how late they've sent out secondaries in years before? (or called the admissions department and asked that question) I will look through last years thread but thought id ask if anyone has that info
i was saying earlier that i have a friend who got one in september last cycle. there's still hope lol
Best of luck to all of you applying to Vanderbilt! I like to check in on this thread once in a while. I'm a Vandy Med alum currently in rad onc residency; I loved my time there and would be happy to answer any questions y'all have (although I wasn't there during the new curriculum...). Cheers!
Best of luck to all of you applying to Vanderbilt! I like to check in on this thread once in a while. I'm a Vandy Med alum currently in rad onc residency; I loved my time there and would be happy to answer any questions y'all have (although I wasn't there during the new curriculum...). Cheers!
How well did you like the clinical training at Vanderbilt in terms of preparing you for residency? Were you given a lot of responsibility and hands-on learning opportunities as a med student? Thanks for doing this!
Like many things, medical school and the clinical training you get is a lot about what you invest in the experience. However, for reference, I did a rigorous internal medicine internship at the Brigham (more applicable than residency for me, as radonc is a bit of a different beast that med school isn't going to prepare you for), and felt that my ward months in 3rd and 4th year at Vanderbilt more than adequately prepared me.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K