You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
II just now! Complete around 8/13. The penguin works wonders 

II just now! Complete around 8/13. The penguin works wonders![]()
Same here! Complete around the same time. Pumped to head to Nashville.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II whoooOOO!! Really thought they'd passed me over, it's been a while since submission!
Can I ask when you were complete? You can PM me.II whoooOOO!! Really thought they'd passed me over, it's been a while since submission!
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Can I ask when you were complete? You can PM me.
Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
No problem, I submitted the secondary 7/21. I don't believe there was a complete email.
Has anyone heard back about student hosts? I filled out the form/survey on their website, but haven't been contacted. Maybe it's time to book a hotel?
Thanks, I submitted a few days after you so I still have hope!No problem, I submitted the secondary 7/21. I don't believe there was a complete email.
Congrats Tess! Thanks so much for rejuvenating my hope for Vandy.No problem, I submitted the secondary 7/21. I don't believe there was a complete email.
Weird, I heard back within a week. From the looks of the email they sent me, they don't assign you a student, rather a student selects you to host.Has anyone heard back about student hosts? I filled out the form/survey on their website, but haven't been contacted. Maybe it's time to book a hotel?
Hey guys, has anyone of you who haven't received secondaries... send an email to the Adcom.. requesting for it? it is a good idea to request for it.. or we just wait and hope they send it to us soon?
Vanderbilt screens before sending secondaries so I would wait for their decision.
I sent an email asking about their timeline (not requesting a secondary, but essentially asking if there was still a chance I would get one, and if so, when), and was sent back exactly what they said in their initial email.Hey guys, has anyone of you who haven't received secondaries... send an email to the Adcom.. requesting for it? it is a good idea to request for it.. or we just wait and hope they send it to us soon?
"Thank you for your interest in Vanderbilt University School of Medicine!
You application is currently in the screening process. We do ask for your patience, as we receive thousands of applications. We appreciate the time and effort you have put forth to submit your application and therefore we take great pride in the time we take reviewing your information.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!"
Confession time: I had given up on Vanderbilt noticing me. My completion date (due to circumstances truly outside my control!) was August 15th. Just today, I received the email about submitting a secondary. Gosh. I feel like the wallflower in some old movie when the handsome popular quarterback unexpectedly strolls over to ask for a dance. . . ;-)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow (The first one)!
I was verified back in July and never even got an email saying they received my application. For those without secondaries, did you hear anything from them at all?
I got the initial email on July 1 about how they were screening my primary application. No word since then, but I expected as much since my stats are on the lower end.
I got the initial email on July 1 about how they were screening my primary application. No word since then, but I expected as much since my stats are on the lower end.
+1
+2
How was the interview, for those who had it today?
Does vanderbilt give out the names of your interviewers?
same silence here... maybe we just got a slower committee to review our apps. Or at least that's what I like to tell myself so I feel better lolPlane from west coast to east coast is taking a temp stop at Nashville. My heart goes to the Vandy on the ground. Completed over a month ago still silence...probably on some kind of silent hold...
36 and 3.7 but ****ty extracurriculars. still no word on a secondary, will they send an email if they don't want one?
They do send pre-secondary rejections. None have gone out so far, but could start in early October. Other years they started coming out in early September.
They do send pre-secondary rejections. None have gone out so far, but could start in early October. Other years they started coming out in early September.
I'm waiting for mine 😉 any day now!
I'm waiting for mine 😉 any day now!
Same! My friend received a secondary and an II and he barely has any clinical ECs (but great stats) so they are definitely picking people they find suitable for the challenge that is the new curriculum.
II today! Complete 8/11.
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the website, it says first acceptances will be sent in December. Is there any advantage to interviewing early ASAP here?
Would like to know as well. Does this mean if you interview Sept/Oct/Nov, that you'll get accepted/rejected in Dec?
In other news...II today!
Last edited:
Wow II today as well (complete mid-August with below average stats)...Congrats to everyone else with IIs and best of luck to those still waiting to hear!
If anyone has already interviewed here, I'd be grateful for any advice or tips you have to offer!
If anyone has already interviewed here, I'd be grateful for any advice or tips you have to offer!
Wow II today as well (complete mid-August with below average stats)...Congrats to everyone else with IIs and best of luck to those still waiting to hear!
If anyone has already interviewed here, I'd be grateful for any advice or tips you have to offer!
The interview day here is pretty chill. You interview with two faculty members. The first interview is straightforward, and the second one is more behavioral (ie Tell me when you regretted doing something, etc). There's some diversity seminar thing you can go to, but it's really optional. I didn't go last year.
Let me add a few, in the spirit of fellowship: !!!!!!!!!!!II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Friday, but I still feel that many exclamation marks are warranted. SO psyched. Secondary submitted 8/25
I FINALLY submitted my autobiography and tale of woe (challenge essay.) After I sent it, I remembered that I forgot to specify which actress should play me in the no-doubt-upcoming movie adaptation. . . .
And that would have been...?Let me add a few, in the spirit of fellowship: !!!!!!!!!!!
I FINALLY submitted my autobiography and tale of woe (challenge essay.) After I sent it, I remembered that I forgot to specify which actress should play me in the no-doubt-upcoming movie adaptation. . . .
Aishwarya Rai Bachhan, the gorgeous Bollywood star. A girl can dream. ..And that would have been...?
Aishwarya Rai Bachhan, the gorgeous Bollywood star. A girl can dream. ..
LOL!!! And maybe as a second pick you could choose Deepika Padukone 😉
I heard nothing until I received the email telling me about the secondaries. Vanderbilt maintains silence, it seems, and builds suspense. You are not alone!I was verified back in July and never even got an email saying they received my application. For those without secondaries, did you hear anything from them at all?
Well.. .. . okay. But Aishwarya has brown hair and is presently more...fleshy. Ankush Hazra will be cast as my "young" father. But now that Rituparno Ghosh has left us, who will play my mother? Quandaries. . . .LOL!!! And maybe as a second pick you could choose Deepika Padukone 😉
AMCAS verified on 7/7, new MCAT scores received on 9/9....crickets
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!
A word of advice for those seriously considering Vanderbilt: pay attention to the morning presentation of Curriculum 2.0. I would venture to say that it's different than curricula you'll encounter elsewhere, and interviewers want to know that you're a good fit. If I were to summarize signature features of the culture here, I would say it's wellness (retreats and redundant mentorship), innovation (C 2.0), research (6 month 3rd year clerkship) and leadership — use these to your advantage.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
A word of advice for those seriously considering Vanderbilt: pay attention to the morning presentation of Curriculum 2.0. I would venture to say that it's different than curricula you'll encounter elsewhere, and interviewers want to know that you're a good fit. If I were to summarize signature features of the culture here, I would say it's wellness (retreats and redundant mentorship), innovation (C 2.0), research (6 month 3rd year clerkship) and leadership — use these to your advantage.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
Just finished my interview here. Vanderbilt is pretty amazing.
Just finished my interview here. Vanderbilt is pretty amazing.
I'm so anxious and so excited. It's an amazing school. How did you like the surrounding city?
So helpful! Thank you! (And watch your mailbox. . .🙂)Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!
A word of advice for those seriously considering Vanderbilt: pay attention to the morning presentation of Curriculum 2.0. I would venture to say that it's different than curricula you'll encounter elsewhere, and interviewers want to know that you're a good fit. If I were to summarize signature features of the culture here, I would say it's wellness (retreats and redundant mentorship), innovation (C 2.0), research (6 month 3rd year clerkship) and leadership — use these to your advantage.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
I didn't really have a chance to explore, but it seemed pretty nice. The students and faculty put a lot of emphasis on the fact that Nashville is a growing city.I'm so anxious and so excited. It's an amazing school. How did you like the surrounding city?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K