2015-2016 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Another application season is among us!

Reactions: 1 user
Applying here!

I've heard from more than a couple of users on this site that Drexel's interview day is "disorganized" and "not very impressive." Could someone please elaborate on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same. Drexel seems to have a bap rep on SDN...

I'm pre-writing secondaries now and am assuming Drexel's secondary essay prompt will be the same or similar to last year:

"Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education, which includes the time since graduation. Detail your activities for each year away from school."

I looked through last year's thread but was unable to find a character or word limit for the essay. Does anyone know if there is a word/character limit on Drexel's secondary essay, and if so, what it is? Thanks!

Also, as a non-trad, I have 4 years between graduation from college and applying to medical school. Most of my 4 years is pretty well-documented in my Work and Activities section on AMCAS, so is it necessary to go in-depth in terms of what I did these four years? Or will a paragraph simply stating what I did each year suffice?

Last edited:
Also, as a non-trad, I have 4 years between graduation from college and applying to medical school. Most of my 4 years is pretty well-documented in my Work and Activities section on AMCAS, so is it necessary to go in-depth in terms of what I did these four years? Or will a paragraph simply stating what I did each year suffice?
I would like to know this too!

Whoa! Pre-writting secondaries? You got me feeling like I'm back to being far behind.

Whoa! Pre-writting secondaries? You got me feeling like I'm back to being far behind.

Drexel is only my second secondary that I've pre-written!

I guess there is no character/word limit on the secondary, since no one has chimed in so far. My draft is 2,689 characters/439 words. Anyone willing to read over and provide feedback on my Drexel secondary essay draft?

I guess there is no character/word limit on the secondary, since no one has chimed in so far. My draft is 2,689 characters/439 words. Anyone willing to read over and provide feedback on my Drexel secondary essay draft?

Are you writing an actual essay or is it more so just a description of the activities you've been doing since graduation?

Are you writing an actual essay or is it more so just a description of the activities you've been doing since graduation?

I wrote it in "essay" form, with paragraphs and a chronological structure. I have no idea what they want, though I feel that erring on the side of more details is better than being too sparse.

You start based off of last years secondaries from previous threads?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard pretty bad reviews from friends about their interviews last cycle as well. Notably, one was interviewed in the clinic during clinic hours because the interviewer was running late and only asked 2 questions about poor grades followed by why Drexel? Other said that he just hated the experience and the current students "didn't seem to want to be there." I'm applying there this cycle and remain optimistic. I know some great physicians from the program who haven't had anything negative to say about it.

Yeah, pretty much. I figured most schools won't change their secondaries.
I couldn't find them. The thread from last year kept coming up as a dead link. Could you share them?

I heard that there were no written secondaries for drexel, i could be completely making this up...

I heard that there were no written secondaries for drexel, i could be completely making this up...
You are mostly correct. If you're taking a gap year (or years), then they ask you to write about what you did during your time off.

Not sure I want to apply here. Anybody know what makes Drexel stand out from all the other PA schools? From my research online and from driving by their buildings, it seems as thought Temple or Jefferson may have the better curriculum and facilities and that students seem happier there than those at Drexel. Anybody have any thoughts to add?

My older brother just graduated from Drexel. He got AOA there, matched to a pretty good residency, so on that end he turned out great. He did say he didn't like his advisor (I think that's what he/she was), said they didn't help him especially, likely didn't write him a great letter, or whatever. He definitely told me to go to another Philly school if I had the choice.

I can't seem to find last year's Drexel thread :shrug:... Does anyone know when secondarys started rolling out last year and what the prompts were?? @winterwind_23 ?

Last year's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-drexel-university-application-thread.1073985/

I applied last year and the secondary situation was pretty interesting; hopefully it's better this year. Secondaries were sent out I think anywhere between August and October, and it did not seem to be based any sort of order.

No prompts (unless you took a gap year or more), just a bunch of boxes to check. Oh and I think the page timed-out frequently too hahaha...

Last year's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-drexel-university-application-thread.1073985/

I applied last year and the secondary situation was pretty interesting; hopefully it's better this year. Secondaries were sent out I think anywhere between August and October, and it did not seem to be based any sort of order.

No prompts (unless you took a gap year or more), just a bunch of boxes to check. Oh and I think the page timed-out frequently too hahaha...
Wow, this sounds...interesting ha. But thanks for replying. I tried clicking on the link from the Alphabetical list from last year but was getting an SDN error. I should have just searched. I'm in a gap year, what was the prompt? Something along the lines of what are you doing and why?

Wow, this sounds...interesting ha. But thanks for replying. I tried clicking on the link from the Alphabetical list from last year but was getting an SDN error. I should have just searched. I'm in a gap year, what was the prompt? Something along the lines of what are you doing and why?

- provide details about any interruption or time away from education (excluding breaks/vacations)
- what have you been doing since graduation if you graduated over 6 months ago

- provide details about any interruption or time away from education (excluding breaks/vacations)
- what have you been doing since graduation if you graduated over 6 months ago
Thank you

I'll call tomorrow, but they mention research mentors not counting as a letter requirement. Does this still apply if I did research for credit and my PI is a professor at my school?

Not sure I want to apply here. Anybody know what makes Drexel stand out from all the other PA schools? From my research online and from driving by their buildings, it seems as thought Temple or Jefferson may have the better curriculum and facilities and that students seem happier there than those at Drexel. Anybody have any thoughts to add?

I wouldn't necessarily judge a school on its curbside appeal. Temple rebuilt their school, Jefferson has added buildings. There are whispers of Drexel possibly moving the medical school campus as part of the President of Drexel's future vision of the university (which would likely mean West Philly). The East Falls location of DUCOM has the upside of being one of the safest neighborhoods in Philly (safer than Center City by far), but the down side of not being near a whole lot. The facilities are fine and they're upgraded as need be. The didactics were great and prepared me well for the steps and for practice. I appreciated the variety of clinical sites. A lot of passionate, dedicated faculty. The school really works hard to make sure students get a good experience, and they work really hard for students experiencing hardship (academic, and especially those with health or family problems). Other than tuition, I can't really think of much that I wish was different. Now in residency, I hardly hear anyone say anything about their respective medical schools (because no one really cares anymore). The few times when talking about medical school with folks from other schools, you realize how much BS everyone has to put up with despite the school and its reputation. I did great on the USMLE and matched at my first choice.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't necessarily judge a school on its curbside appeal. Temple rebuilt their school, Jefferson has added buildings. There are whispers of Drexel possibly moving the medical school campus as part of the President of Drexel's future vision of the university (which would likely mean West Philly). The East Falls location of DUCOM has the upside of being one of the safest neighborhoods in Philly (safer than Center City by far), but the down side of not being near a whole lot. The facilities are fine and they're upgraded as need be. The didactics were great and prepared me well for the steps and for practice. I appreciated the variety of clinical sites. A lot of passionate, dedicated faculty. The school really works hard to make sure students get a good experience, and they work really hard for students experiencing hardship (academic, and especially those with health or family problems). Other than tuition, I can't really think of much that I wish was different. Now in residency, I hardly hear anyone say anything about their respective medical schools (because no one really cares anymore). The few times when talking about medical school with folks from other schools, you realize how much BS everyone has to put up with despite the school and its reputation. I did great on the USMLE and matched at my first choice.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. I actually ended up contacting a few people who go there that also went to my undergrad University through our pre-health advising office and they say its a good school as well.

No word yet from any of the Philly triplets....interesting

No word yet from any of the Philly triplets....interesting

Looks like according to last years Drexel thread we won't be getting this one til August, which I'm 100% ok with. Drowning in secondaries haha

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like according to last years Drexel thread we won't be getting this one til August, which I'm 100% ok with. Drowning in secondaries haha

You know, now that you mentioned that, that actually seems very preferable lol.

Reactions: 4 users
So based on past years, their secondary just asks what you've done since graduating college if you are a non-trad?

I graduated in 2014, finished my first year of an MPH program. In my essay,should I include things like a summer job last year and travel experiences, or keep it very straightforward (school, internship, that's it).

Thanks!

So based on past years, their secondary just asks what you've done since graduating college if you are a non-trad?

I graduated in 2014, finished my first year of an MPH program. In my essay,should I include things like a summer job last year and travel experiences, or keep it very straightforward (school, internship, that's it).

Thanks!
I put just about everything including travels, jobs, etc.

I put just about everything including travels, jobs, etc.

Thanks!

One more random thought on the matter....

Since graduating from college, I have been co-authoring a novel with my college roommate in my spare time. It's been nearly 13 months since we started work on the book, and we are about 200 pages in. I have mentioned my artistic interests in other secondary applications, and am wondering if people feel this is appropriate to briefly mention in my "What have you done since college" essay for Drexel.

This makes me very happy, completely swampppped right now.

Thanks!

One more random thought on the matter....

Since graduating from college, I have been co-authoring a novel with my college roommate in my spare time. It's been nearly 13 months since we started work on the book, and we are about 200 pages in. I have mentioned my artistic interests in other secondary applications, and am wondering if people feel this is appropriate to briefly mention in my "What have you done since college" essay for Drexel.

I don't think it's inappropriate, and it would help you stand out for sure, so why not?

You are mostly correct. If you're taking a gap year (or years), then they ask you to write about what you did during your time off.

I am not taking a "gap year" per se, but I did decided to get a graduate degree before applying and a good number of my ECs are from this period. What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and give an answer to the question?

I am not taking a "gap year" per se, but I did decided to get a graduate degree before applying and a good number of my ECs are from this period. What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and give an answer to the question?

I believe if between the time you are applying (now) and matriculation (next July) you are not enrolled in any academic programs, that constitutes as a 'gap year'. If that's the case, I'd write about it. If you are like me and am entering the second year of a masters program / starting a masters program, then I would write about what you are still to do in the program.

I believe if between the time you are applying (now) and matriculation (next July) you are not enrolled in any academic programs, that constitutes as a 'gap year'. If that's the case, I'd write about it. If you are like me and am entering the second year of a masters program / starting a masters program, then I would write about what you are still to do in the program.

I graduate in December, so I guess there's an element of a gap year in that respect.

are we supposed to be emailed a secondary or what?

are we supposed to be emailed a secondary or what?
I haven't had a chance to look at Drexel's past threads but people above have mentioned that when they looked at last years thread they noticed Drexel doesn't send them out until mid-August so we'll probably be waiting a while still!

I haven't had a chance to look at Drexel's past threads but people above have mentioned that when they looked at last years thread they noticed Drexel doesn't send them out until mid-August so we'll probably be waiting a while still!
I think it was like August 14th or something last year, but I'm too lazy to find the thread and confirm this.

Thats not a gap year. A gap year is a full year between graduation and applying, not matriculating - it refers to the fact you skipped a year you could have applied to take a year to not go to school

Thats not a gap year. A gap year is a full year between graduation and applying, not matriculating - it refers to the fact you skipped a year you could have applied to take a year to not go to school
That sounds like two gap years to me. At least in my circles, a gap year is considered a year between graduating and matriculating, since the whole application process takes a year.

I've always been told that a gap year is a year between graduation and matriculation because a gap year means you have one year in which you are not in school (this is the year you spend applying). In other words, I've been told that a gap year for a person means that person starts his application the summer after receiving his bachelor's degree and starts medical school about 15 months after receiving his bachelor's degree.

It looks like Drexel sends them out in waves so some of us might be getting secondaries in August and others much later in the year.

Anyone having trouble submitting due to technical difficulties?