2015-2016 Florida State University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I could've sworn I saw on this secondary that they wanted you to upload a picture of yourself....but either I can't find it or I'm mistaking it for another secondary I looked at. I know they've done it in the past but can anyone confirm whether this app does or does not require a picture of the applicant?
I don't remember uploading a photo for FSU
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of the Florida Schools tend to start sending invites some time in the first 2 weeks of august. If I remember correctly from last year, FSU was pretty early (around aug 1-5).
 
So, I moved to the US when I was 10 and visited my country twice after that, so does that count as a travel experience? I dont know if I should just say I did not travel, or talk about that
 
I'm having trouble writing the critical analysis. Am I suppose to focus on the weak parts of my application or something? Or do I talk about why I'm a qualified applicant due to my volunteering, shadowing, research, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
I'm having trouble writing the critical analysis. Am I suppose to focus on the weak parts of my application or something? Or do I talk about why I'm a qualified applicant due to my volunteering, shadowing, research, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Two words (1?): Self-awareness
 
I'm having trouble writing the critical analysis. Am I suppose to focus on the weak parts of my application or something? Or do I talk about why I'm a qualified applicant due to my volunteering, shadowing, research, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I focused on my pros (other life experiences that led me to medicine, more info on my volunteering etc), since they can definitely see my "cons" (app weaknesses) without my help 😉
 
I'm having trouble writing the critical analysis. Am I suppose to focus on the weak parts of my application or something? Or do I talk about why I'm a qualified applicant due to my volunteering, shadowing, research, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm approaching this essay like as if it's a cover letter for a job application. I'm personally only talking about my strengths.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I'm hitting far below 500 words on each one. Feels wrong to use more words just for the sake of getting to 500.
 
When reviewing status on the portal, does anyone see their letters of rec? I sent mine to FSU a month ago and don't see them on there
 
Same as last year's essays: 500 word limit

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.


Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.


Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:




    • Where they were raised
    • 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
    • Traits you get from him/her
    • Your rapport with him/her
    • His/her hobbies or interests
Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.


Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.

Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

Are the parent and sibling essays 500 words too?
 
^^ ugh ... if I don't know the siblings, can I leave them out? I've disclosed their ages but I really do not know them.
 
^^ ugh ... if I don't know the siblings, can I leave them out? I've disclosed their ages but I really do not know them.
I would assume so. Maybe just write a short excerpt about them and explain why you're not that close to them.
 
Can't help but pre-judge a program when they say their application is best done on a PC with Internet Explorer. I know it's window dressing, but really?
 
Last edited:
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

I have not been on mission trips but I moved to the US in 2009. So should I talk about that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any II yet? My portal says "Application Under Review by the Office of Admissions" and has been this way since 4 days after submission (7/25ish)
 
I have a few ED friends and they haven't heard back yet either. It'll be a while.
 
I got a "not complete" email before my school sent my letter packet. But nothing since

You should call because they had my letters for almost three weeks and finally processed them 15 minutes after I called the admissions office
 
Also ED here. Got secondary on 7/6 and completion email on 7/14. Still no interview invitation. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Would someone remind me what IS stands for?
 
I still wouldn't expect ED interviews to be here, I mean think about it: our semester doesn't even finish until Thursday lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad